Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

View Poll Results: Was Jason's action in taking the place, wrong or right.
Wrong, in taking the place 104 83.87%
Right, in taking the place 20 16.13%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Old 15 Apr 2012, 09:41 (Ref:3059349)   #301
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Guys, wake up and smell the coffee ! Have you not been reading what I've been saying over and over again here. Bash to pass is widespread in kart racing, the most popular branch of motor sport... and the place where almost all our new young drivers start. We're vilifying the BTCC as the only place where this happens...

In terms of fiddling with race formats to make it more exciting for spectators... aren't Pirelli's tyres, DRS and the qualifying segmentation among others in F1 not the same thing ?
Old 15 Apr 2012, 10:00 (Ref:3059368)   #302
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Davyboy.

We have been listening and yes your point is well made, but it is still not permitted by the Blue Book so you and your organisers obviously need to put a stop to it.

In the races I watched yesterday there were some great passes that did not involve any kind of contact, proving that it really isn't necessary.
Old 15 Apr 2012, 10:42 (Ref:3059407)   #303
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!
I sort of vowed that I would not return to this debate, but I would like to make one point - If this was another certain well-known forum on the interweb, by now there would have been four-letter words bandied about and endless vitriol and personal insult.

It goes to show that the members of this forum are capable of reasoned debate, and that speaks volumes for the enthusiasm and knowledge of the posters.

(Can't resist it,sorry - why fines and/or drive-through penalties? What's wrong with a black flag?)
Old 15 Apr 2012, 10:45 (Ref:3059409)   #304
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Davyboy.

We have been listening and yes your point is well made, but it is still not permitted by the Blue Book so you and your organisers obviously need to put a stop to it.
I'm not responsible for the administration of karting Peter and those that are are quite aware of this situation. It's a much talked about subject and has been since the introduction of all enveloping bodywork some time ago.
Old 15 Apr 2012, 11:12 (Ref:3059430)   #305
codename_47
Veteran

United Kingdom
Coventry/Birmingham
codename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcodename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Yes indeed but the general ethos of blocking and tapping that is permitted will colour drivers in other series.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
Flawed argument as other posters were mentioning the hypocrisy of Gow, as head of the MSA, enforcing rules in regard to contact in other series that he overlooks in the BTCC, suggesting that if anyone tried anything BTCC-ish in other series they'd be clamped down on.

Also to the rest of the thread, after a clean and exciting race one at Donington you can all get your words on a plate, add your hat and a dash of humble pie and kindly eat them!

Sent from my Sony Vaio Laptop using my Keyboard.
Old 15 Apr 2012, 11:24 (Ref:3059443)   #306
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'm kinda torn on this. It strikes me there is a degree of snobbery from some who feel that BTCC is below them. At the same time, I agree more effort should be made to uphold driving standards. I've always thought there is no harm in the odd bit of rubbing and minor contact in close tin top racing, but that should stop short of blatant barging and habitual punt to pass. There is plenty of good close racing in BTCC, which shows it can be done.

As an aside, nothing frustrates me more than watching any type of closed wheel racing where the cars don't appear able to withstand minor contact.
Old 15 Apr 2012, 11:35 (Ref:3059455)   #307
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by codename_47 View Post

The Tapatalk line is automaticly posted when using the Tapatalk software on a mobile device.
Old 15 Apr 2012, 11:41 (Ref:3059460)   #308
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
You can turn that off.

Sent from my iPhone cos it's better than a Blackberry, nur nur nur nur nur.
Old 15 Apr 2012, 12:15 (Ref:3059493)   #309
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
Having just watched the Clio race, another point also occurs. There's now a whole generation of drivers who learnt to 'race' on their Playstations.
Old 15 Apr 2012, 12:31 (Ref:3059503)   #310
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Flawed argument as other posters were mentioning the hypocrisy of Gow, as head of the MSA, enforcing rules in regard to contact in other series that he overlooks in the BTCC, suggesting that if anyone tried anything BTCC-ish in other series they'd be clamped down on.

Also to the rest of the thread, after a clean and exciting race one at Donington you can all get your words on a plate, add your hat and a dash of humble pie and kindly eat them!

Sorry you've lost me re the flawed argument, either it is allowed in the championship or not. Whether other championships then suffer is subjective. Nonetheless people do see the same or very similar tactics in other series.

As to a clean race. You seem surprised. You may also be a bit disappointed? Also I mentioned that there were passing maneouvres at Brands that involved absolutely no contact and that it was still exciting. So what was your point again?

Sent from my work laptop, using company time, which is not as good as a Blackberry which as we all know is miles better than an iPhone.
Old 15 Apr 2012, 12:39 (Ref:3059508)   #311
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:

I wouldn't call Alan Gow's position exactly hypocritical but I would contend that there's a clear conflict of interest in his position in TOCA and his position as Chairman of the governing body of motorsport. I don't know of another sport where this type of relationship would be allowed and I'm only asking a rhetorical question which is a frequent topic of conversation within motorsport.

....... and I don't believe that the admittedly good driving standards in Race 1 at Donington change either side of the arguement ... there's still two races today and the rest of the season to go!
Old 15 Apr 2012, 12:46 (Ref:3059513)   #312
codename_47
Veteran

United Kingdom
Coventry/Birmingham
codename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcodename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
As to a clean race. You seem surprised. You may also be a bit disappointed? Also I mentioned that there were passing maneouvres at Brands that involved absolutely no contact and that it was still exciting. So what was your point again?

Sent from my work laptop, using company time, which is not as good as a Blackberry which as we all know is miles better than an iPhone.
I'm not surprised, that's more standard BTCC tbh, races like Brands Hatch are the anomaly yet grab all the attention here so people can enjoy sniping at it from their ivory towers.

And so what if people learnt to race on their playstations, they can't all be rich boys with their own karts from the age of 5 can they? Fail to see the point there...
Old 15 Apr 2012, 13:02 (Ref:3059518)   #313
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
Quote:
And so what if people learnt to race on their playstations, they can't all be rich boys with their own karts from the age of 5 can they? Fail to see the point there...
No danger of getting hurt on a Playstation is there?
Old 15 Apr 2012, 13:14 (Ref:3059524)   #314
barnettracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dorset
barnettracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I think you've missed the point. It wasn't about money (most of the drivers across the TOCA support package probably have their racing paid for by rich parents; a completely different argument for a different thread).

As Garcon has said, there is no danger involved in racing on Playstation and you can do as you like. I will quite often start a race from the back of the grid and make up 16 places on the first lap. On Playstation. Real life is a different kettle of fish. However, if you are driving as if in the virtual world it is often without care and proper attention for others.
Old 15 Apr 2012, 13:21 (Ref:3059529)   #315
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
Quote:

Well I suppose we got almost a full lap of race two...
Old 15 Apr 2012, 13:23 (Ref:3059533)   #316
codename_47
Veteran

United Kingdom
Coventry/Birmingham
No, in anticipation of this becoming the year long check on Jason Platos behaviour, he tried to bully Collard off the road and paid the price for it

Serves him bloody right too
Old 15 Apr 2012, 13:27 (Ref:3059534)   #317
codename_47
Veteran

United Kingdom
Coventry/Birmingham
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnettracing View Post
I think you've missed the point. It wasn't about money (most of the drivers across the TOCA support package probably have their racing paid for by rich parents; a completely different argument for a different thread).

As Garcon has said, there is no danger involved in racing on Playstation and you can do as you like. I will quite often start a race from the back of the grid and make up 16 places on the first lap. On Playstation. Real life is a different kettle of fish. However, if you are driving as if in the virtual world it is often without care and proper attention for others.
That's massively condescending, I don't know anyone in the entire world who thinks that any task you can perform in real life should be attempted in exactly the same manner as you would on a computer game.

I play Grand Theft Auto but I know not to yank people out of their cars, steal them and shoot anyone who gets in my way!

Please try to treat the younger generation with some degree of intellegence!

(Nice clean move by Matt Neal, That's proper BTCC, don't be dissuaded by Plato's nonsense please!)
Old 15 Apr 2012, 13:42 (Ref:3059539)   #318
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
So you don't think a driver who's learnt a few tricks on his Playstation might try them out for real, even subconsciously?

I'm talking proper race sims, by the way. Bringing Grand Theft Auto into it is just being stupid.
Old 15 Apr 2012, 13:46 (Ref:3059541)   #319
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
My god. What a hideous driver.

He tried to do to Collard what he did in race 1 only Rob wasn't having it this time. Serves him right.

I can hear the upcoming interview in my head already: '*sucks air through teeth* It's not good is it? <insert generic derogatory comment about Collard while denying all guilt>'.
Old 15 Apr 2012, 13:58 (Ref:3059544)   #320
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
I do find this focus of vilification on Plato amusing, it would seem those that hate him are as blinkered as his fans.

Plato's only got himself to blame for that off, but Collard didn't exactly help, and the worst punt of the race was Newsham, victim one week guilty party the next.
Old 15 Apr 2012, 14:02 (Ref:3059548)   #321
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
Don't get me wrong, i think the BTCC is a bit of a circus.

Not so long ago, we had a classy Italian bloke who could win races and make passes without so much as a touch. That was when Plato's (in particular) severe lack of class was highlighted to me.
Old 15 Apr 2012, 14:05 (Ref:3059550)   #322
barnettracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dorset
barnettracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
That's massively condescending, I don't know anyone in the entire world who thinks that any task you can perform in real life should be attempted in exactly the same manner as you would on a computer game.

I play Grand Theft Auto but I know not to yank people out of their cars, steal them and shoot anyone who gets in my way!

Please try to treat the younger generation with some degree of intellegence!

(Nice clean move by Matt Neal, That's proper BTCC, don't be dissuaded by Plato's nonsense please!)
Would it help if I told you I am one of those from the 'younger generation'? And I wouldn't be so sure about your supposed psychoanalysis of a racing driver.
Old 15 Apr 2012, 16:46 (Ref:3059652)   #323
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
ahem..... aaaaaand again.
Old 15 Apr 2012, 16:48 (Ref:3059656)   #324
Tom Bee
Racer

United Kingdom
Knickerbrook
Tom Bee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jason Plato strikes again!!!! BTCC's dirtiest driver!!!
Old 15 Apr 2012, 16:51 (Ref:3059658)   #325
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!
Just done my usual trick of watching only a few laps of the 3rd race, and JP showed that he can overtake cleanly when he wants to - up to the very end at least. Sad he had to return to form.
Is that front spoiler on the MG made of rubber (it looks like it), cos that shows what his team expect at the end of each race.Reminds me of the old P.O. telephones vans with their rubber wings cos the drivers were always hitting parked cars.