Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 5 Apr 2013, 21:33 (Ref:3229719)   #301
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by B24 View Post
Thank god the moderator stepped in. Exactly my point a few pages back.
Is not the discusion of if the 12 hour race being for points a valid discusion in the 12 hour thread
Old 5 Apr 2013, 21:54 (Ref:3229728)   #302
Sheep Stations
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Sheep Stations should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As valid as allowing the fitting of flux capacitors in next years event
Old 6 Apr 2013, 00:44 (Ref:3229764)   #303
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
Is not the discusion of if the 12 hour race being for points a valid discusion in the 12 hour thread
Not when it stopped being about the 12hr race it wasn't. Decision made, move on.
Old 6 Apr 2013, 01:26 (Ref:3229785)   #304
mtpanorama
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst (best racetrack in the world)
mtpanorama should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am hearing less track time for the support classes next year to allow more track time for the 12hr cars. Not sure if this has anything to do with Aus GT running or just more practice time for the 12hr field.

I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good, either
Old 6 Apr 2013, 01:53 (Ref:3229793)   #305
Reload
Veteran

Australia
Reload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridReload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtpanorama View Post
I am hearing less track time for the support classes next year to allow more track time for the 12hr cars. Not sure if this has anything to do with Aus GT running or just more practice time for the 12hr field.
I wouldn't like to be the person in charge of making the decisions regarding the support categories as with the 12 hour gaining momentum, you feel that the categories who have been there for years may end up being dropped for more popular categories. Sports Sedans and Improved Production seem to fit in well, however the HQ/Gemini races were a disaster this year with very minimal green flag racing.
Would love to see the support categories including SS, IP, TCM & The Aussies, however if the rumour is less track time for them, then this may prove a stumbling block ?
Old 6 Apr 2013, 03:15 (Ref:3229809)   #306
B24
Racer

Australia
Glebe, NSW, Australia
B24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If they start the B12hr on the Thursday, it would give everyone more track time with plenty of advantages which everyone is aware of.
Could also be a great opportunity for passenger sessions for sponsors and the likes.

With GT300 now aligned with GT3 (not sure if its exact or not) has this idea been considered for the B12hr? If there was a great way to take it to the next level to add a lot more bums on sets this could be the way. JGT300 is a bonanza ready to be exploited. Even if they ran two one hour races with AGT(if the 12hr is too much for their spec car), people would come from miles around to see the cars.

Also hoping they can manage to have a F1 or LMP1 or LMP2 or DP cars doing laps on the Friday and Saturday. Again, another massive plus for the event.

Great to see Jason Bright is running at LM24 this year and hope he will be back in 2014 with the same team competing for B12 honor's in the Fazza. Was great to see him with the Pug this year as the car was very well presented and competitive.
Old 6 Apr 2013, 03:34 (Ref:3229813)   #307
Reload
Veteran

Australia
Reload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridReload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
If they start the B12hr on the Thursday, it would give everyone more track time with plenty of advantages which everyone is aware of.
Could also be a great opportunity for passenger sessions for sponsors and the likes.

With GT300 now aligned with GT3 (not sure if its exact or not) has this idea been considered for the B12hr? If there was a great way to take it to the next level to add a lot more bums on sets this could be the way. JGT300 is a bonanza ready to be exploited. Even if they ran two one hour races with AGT(if the 12hr is too much for their spec car), people would come from miles around to see the cars.

Also hoping they can manage to have a F1 or LMP1 or LMP2 or DP cars doing laps on the Friday and Saturday. Again, another massive plus for the event.

Great to see Jason Bright is running at LM24 this year and hope he will be back in 2014 with the same team competing for B12 honor's in the Fazza. Was great to see him with the Pug this year as the car was very well presented and competitive.
Don't know whether another day of racing (Thursday) would go down well with the trackside residents ?
Old 6 Apr 2013, 07:24 (Ref:3229853)   #308
B24
Racer

Australia
Glebe, NSW, Australia
All residents and locals are behind the event so it wont be an issue. I spent a fair amount of time on Conrod straight with a long standing local who knows all the gossip. He stated everyone is behind the event, they are all (including council)supportive of a 24hr race, as of mid year, all residents who live on the mountain will have 24hr access from the circuit so no track closures required.

The mountain is used every month for motorsport in one form or another. Another day will make little difference to everyone. Most of Bathurst are happy as it brings in a lot of residual income.
Old 6 Apr 2013, 07:43 (Ref:3229858)   #309
Reload
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
All residents and locals are behind the event so it wont be an issue. I spent a fair amount of time on Conrod straight with a long standing local who knows all the gossip. He stated everyone is behind the event, they are all (including council)supportive of a 24hr race, as of mid year, all residents who live on the mountain will have 24hr access from the circuit so no track closures required.

The mountain is used every month for motorsport in one form or another. Another day will make little difference to everyone. Most of Bathurst are happy as it brings in a lot of residual income.
Roger.
Old 6 Apr 2013, 08:07 (Ref:3229860)   #310
mtpanorama
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst (best racetrack in the world)
mtpanorama should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

If you were to start on Thursday that means set up on Wednesday for competitors, which in a lot of cases would mean leaving on Tuesday for interstate competitors. Thats another day off work and another night of accommodation on top of the $1500 entry fee and all the other costs that go along with getting there so that could be too much of astretch for some people.

I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good, either
Old 6 Apr 2013, 09:49 (Ref:3229883)   #311
B24
Racer

Australia
Glebe, NSW, Australia
I agree it is a stretch for some people but with the meeting at the start of the year there is more flexibility than having the race later in the year. Also its being part of a international event at the best track in the country so people will go that extra mile if given the option. Option is the key word as it would not be compulsory to drive at the first practice day, but you have the option to do so. Im sure if this was an option, very few would not be there.

This could work.
An open practice day at Bathurst could be a great addition to the event. 20min 12hr/GT, 20min tin tops, 20min open wheelers, 20min passenger/training.

Just like open practice at every other track in the country.
Old 7 Apr 2013, 03:00 (Ref:3230149)   #312
R4z3rw33n
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane.
R4z3rw33n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR4z3rw33n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Including GT300 has been suggested a few times.
I quite like the idea, although it seems problematic from a regulatory perspective.

The SGT organisers are (as far as I'm aware) the only body with BoP specifications for GT300/GT3.
B12H opts to inherit BoP specs via SRO - likely as SRO figures are the most widely used.

Inheriting existing specs for reference is the only practical route.

They'd need to shelve the SRO specs in favour of those used by SGT.
There's a decent chance that could render the event a lesser favourable option for certain teams/marques.

If successful, there'd be machinery from Toyota and Subaru eligible for outright contention.
Whether a) they'd bother participating as factories, and b) the machinery's capable of running for twelve hours, are separate matters, though.

Last edited by R4z3rw33n; 7 Apr 2013 at 03:11.
Old 7 Apr 2013, 05:37 (Ref:3230189)   #313
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
The longest race in SGT is the Suzuka 1000km and has been run at 500 and 700km lengths due to cost cutting measures so it remains to be seen whether the GT300 cars would last twelve hours.

It'd be nice to see the GT300 cars in the race but I'd rather they not, lets stick to the Blancpain GT3 regs instead to avoid confusion and multi rules/reg sets in the outright class.

FIA GT3 cars with Blancpain regs do the job well enough.
Old 7 Apr 2013, 09:02 (Ref:3230255)   #314
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If by running Thursday allows for the same amount or more support categories to run this should help with funding the additional track hire.
Old 7 Apr 2013, 09:49 (Ref:3230283)   #315
R4z3rw33n
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane.
R4z3rw33n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR4z3rw33n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich07 View Post
The longest race in SGT is the Suzuka 1000km and has been run at 500 and 700km lengths due to cost cutting measures so it remains to be seen whether the GT300 cars would last twelve hours.

It'd be nice to see the GT300 cars in the race but I'd rather they not, lets stick to the Blancpain GT3 regs instead to avoid confusion and multi rules/reg sets in the outright class.

FIA GT3 cars with Blancpain regs do the job well enough.
Fair call. The risk and complexity involved in appeasing all parties concerned would likely be too great.
In uncertain times, they'd best focus on providing regulatory certainty.
Old 7 Apr 2013, 10:54 (Ref:3230315)   #316
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by R4z3rw33n View Post
Fair call. The risk and complexity involved in appeasing all parties concerned would likely be too great.
In uncertain times, they'd best focus on providing regulatory certainty.
Plus it remains to be seen how many GT300 cars would make it over here and it you look at the number of cars built to GT300 regs and then look at the worldwide pool of FIA GT3 racers, its a bit one sided.
Old 7 Apr 2013, 12:06 (Ref:3230347)   #317
B24
Racer

Australia
Glebe, NSW, Australia
I was unaware of the variation on the reg's between GT3 and SGT. I knew they had come to an agreement, but did not realize there was still a gap. As Richo said, they would not last the distance.

One thing I did notice at the race(and 2011+2012), is the production cars tend to drop a lot of speed halfway through the race which can be a real hazard with closing speeds. Anyone else notice this?
There was also some crazy driving on conrod with one Audi swerving from one side of the track to the other, blocking the cars behind. Pretty crazy at 270+kph. Also saw a Porsche get two wheels in the grass at the crest on Conrod in another daring overtaking move. It was at the point of terminal speed which again was pretty risky driving.
Old 16 Apr 2013, 03:09 (Ref:3235007)   #318
Reload
Veteran

Australia
Rumours going around that Webber has signed a 5 year deal with Porsche which opens up some possibilities
Old 16 Apr 2013, 03:13 (Ref:3235009)   #319
Steptoe
Racer

England
10618 miles from Le Mans - NSW Australia
Steptoe should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSteptoe should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reload View Post
Rumours going around that Webber has signed a 5 year deal with Porsche which opens up some possibilities
The rumour is for the the LMP1 project so he will do the full WEC if it happens. so very unlikely we will see him at the mountain. But I guess it could happen ....
Old 16 Apr 2013, 09:27 (Ref:3235169)   #320
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Quote:
Not really.

I cant see Porsche having a factory effort in the race. Having heard much interest from them about this race. The closest thing you would find to a Porsche factory effort in GT3 would be Manthey and they only race in VLN and International GT using the GT3R.

And secondly Webber would only race the LMP, would be very surprised to see him in a GT car. Unlike Porsches other factory drivers who can drive both and did so when the RS Spyder raced in LMP2, he would be a LMP only guy, him being the ex F1 hotshoe who could pick to only race the protos unlike the factory drivers who race for Porsche where they are sent.
Old 16 Apr 2013, 09:40 (Ref:3235179)   #321
Reload
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich07 View Post
Not really.

I cant see Porsche having a factory effort in the race. Having heard much interest from them about this race. The closest thing you would find to a Porsche factory effort in GT3 would be Manthey and they only race in VLN and International GT using the GT3R.

And secondly Webber would only race the LMP, would be very surprised to see him in a GT car. Unlike Porsches other factory drivers who can drive both and did so when the RS Spyder raced in LMP2, he would be a LMP only guy, him being the ex F1 hotshoe who could pick to only race the protos unlike the factory drivers who race for Porsche where they are sent.
Spoilsport
Old 17 Apr 2013, 07:59 (Ref:3235658)   #322
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Quote:
Spoilsport

Reality bites eh?

The closest I think we'll ever see him at B12 is in many years time when hes semi retired and he drives just for fun, I'd like to see it happen but it may be a while.
Old 20 Apr 2013, 02:22 (Ref:3236893)   #323
6.213km
Veteran

6.213km should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid6.213km should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well lets set Porsche Cars Australia a challenge ...

You've got Carrera Cup - which is a great series ... but why not put something together for the 12 hours , and show Australia what you are really made of.
Old 20 Apr 2013, 03:00 (Ref:3236899)   #324
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Couldnt agree more.

For many many years Porsche Australia has avoided racing anything other than Porsches which is disappointing for the brand and also Australian race fans.

Wouldn't be great to see Porsche back a 2 car Class A operation - fill one with its top 3 Carerra Cup racers and the 2nd with a Porsche international line up similiar to what Audi and Mercedes have done in the last few events
Old 20 Apr 2013, 03:42 (Ref:3236907)   #325
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
Wouldn't be great to see Porsche back a 2 car Class A operation - fill one with its top 3 Carerra Cup racers and the 2nd with a Porsche international line up similiar to what Audi and Mercedes have done in the last few events
Thats a nice idea.

Going by what they've done in the past e.g Carrera Cup, it probably wont happen if they cant make money out of it...