Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Closed Thread

Old 4 Apr 2013, 16:44 (Ref:3229196)   #301
Mike Hedlund
Veteran

United States
Redwood City, CA
Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!
I don't think a single ALMS GTC team will move to GTD next year, at least not with this years GTC car. 2 reasons: 1) cost to upgrade (cheaper to buy a 458/R8), 2) 991 Cup will be available next year.

-mike
Old 4 Apr 2013, 16:54 (Ref:3229201)   #302
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hedlund View Post
I don't think a single ALMS GTC team will move to GTD next year, at least not with this years GTC car. 2 reasons: 1) cost to upgrade (cheaper to buy a 458/R8), 2) 991 Cup will be available next year.

-mike
So you think/know they will have to be fully upgraded to GA spec rather than be integrated via BoP into the GTD class?

L.P.
Old 4 Apr 2013, 17:04 (Ref:3229206)   #303
FstrthnU
Veteran

United States
FstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Actually, I just remembered that TRG will be running the Aston Martins starting this year. So next year we might see 1 Vantage GTE and 1 Vantage V12 GT3 along with a porsche (for mney rides)
Old 4 Apr 2013, 17:17 (Ref:3229211)   #304
Rookie

962 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hedlund View Post

-mike

What about NGT, AJR etc... who allready have the upgrades to run Daytona or are you just talking about ALMS GTC teams that have never ran GA at all?
Old 4 Apr 2013, 20:19 (Ref:3229276)   #305
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FstrthnU View Post
Actually, I just remembered that TRG will be running the Aston Martins starting this year. So next year we might see 1 Vantage GTE and 1 Vantage V12 GT3 along with a porsche (for mney rides)
At this juncture, I wouldn't be counting on any Astons from TRG, but miracles do happen.
Old 4 Apr 2013, 20:21 (Ref:3229280)   #306
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund View Post
At this juncture, I wouldn't be counting on any Astons from TRG, but miracles do happen.
I think Dalla Lana choosing the WEC killed any chance of an Aston in the ALMS.
Old 5 Apr 2013, 06:43 (Ref:3229398)   #307
nevertrustamidget
Rookie

nevertrustamidget should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
If USCR management talks with manufacturers (both of road- and racing cars) and also with ACO before making the 2016 rules … they can find out whether or not the manufacturers are interested or willing to provide vehicles to suit the proposed new regs.

Yes, the availability of the 962 was a game-changer for GTP, but that doesn’t mean that a single manufacturer has to fill that role; so long as teams can buy competitive cars for a reasonable price, the series can have good grids—same as any other series.

And yes, runaway spending killed GTP. There is this concept, “Learning From Experience,” which is pretty much the subject of my post.
The way i see it USCR will own the North American market and really doesn't matter what rules they create. If a manufacturer wants to be in the North American market they will have to create a car by the USCR rules. They will control the combined Grand-Am/ALMS, The NA-DTM, most of the OEM series and most if not all of the support series. The France family more or less will have a choke hold on almost all of US and the majority of North American racing. Other than the open wheel series and Drag racing and the racing clubs. They either own or own the rights to almost all US based racing. You will have once a year events such as F1 and WEC but no major challenge to the France family's control of North American motor sports.
Old 5 Apr 2013, 07:31 (Ref:3229409)   #308
Koenigsegg
Veteran

Netherlands
Netherlands
Koenigsegg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I suspect Dyson to be in with a P2 car. Either with a Lola or a Zytek.
Old 5 Apr 2013, 08:49 (Ref:3229425)   #309
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
@ nevertrustamidget

I absolutely agree. NACAR will be the North American racing gatekeeper; the only way to go if a factory wants to race on the continent.

However, many marques have proven that they are not interested in the meager promo benefit of racing in any North American series, or more than happy with just GT s( no point in Porsche or Audi busting a gut to build a North American prototype when they only sell 911s and A7s—and SUVs.

The other half of the equation are builders like Oak, Zytek, Riley, Dallara, Lola—if these firms aren’t interested in building cars for the new series … well, Riley almost certainly will; then we can have a field of all Rileys again. Not the progress we had hoped for, exactly.
Old 5 Apr 2013, 16:06 (Ref:3229573)   #310
BrentJackson
Racer

Canada
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
BrentJackson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBrentJackson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Profitability, Popularity, and the proven All-American Sports car Series Success Story (Camel GT and GTP)

Re: attendance:

This all gets silly after a while.

I have been to events from both series and I’d say the crowd at the Rolex 24 is on par with ALMS races save for Sebring and Petit, both of which are significantly larger. I hear about the “attendance” as estimated by the promoters, but I rely more on what I see after walking every inch of the track for two or three days, and I also chat with spectators to get some clue as to how interested they are and how knowledgeable.

Rolex simply doesn’t draw anything near ALMS. On the other hand, Rolex gets much better TV numbers (and offers a much better TV product, which, along with promotion, kind of accounts for all that.)
Does this not have a fairly simple solution? I don't think its coincidence that most of IMSA's tech guys are still around and yet Grand Am's promotional guys are also looking at long-term employment. It's not as if Sebring and Petit are the only successful events - Daytona, Laguna Seca and Mosport are all quite successful from an attendance front. (And I'm pretty confident that Mosport will be better in 2013 and 2014 than before - the new owners of the place are tossing around a pile of $$$ and have big dreams for the place, so bet on there being more promotion this year, and they have dumped millions into track upgrades in the last couple years.)

Quote:
Profitability

The real issues are profitability. ALMS couldn’t ever make enough money to both satisfy Dr. Panoz and to also satisfy the teams, so the teams got shafted, the promotion was nearly non-existent and generally bungled, and the series went broke.

Had ALMS decided that it was okay to admit that others than the snooty-rich enjoyed the sport, ads might have featured incredible cars piloted by awesome drivers traveling at amazing speeds, and Not cars saving fuel. Coca Col might have sponsored the series, instead of Yancy’s Fancies. ALMS might have bought TV time and actually presented its exciting racing instead of its sponsors’ lame informercials. Dr. Panoz might have bought Grand Am.

However … Well, at least we got the Abruzzi, right?

The Rolex Series also never made a profit. Despite “close” racing (at any cost to legitimacy) It never captured fans’ hearts. Probably because “Sports Car Racing” fans are “Sports Car” fans, and could recognize that however a few folks think they looked, the Rolex cars were emasculated and outdated and constricted by the rulers and the racing was not the form of racing sports car fans tended to love best.

The Rolex Series was not a money-loser because the cars were ugly. The Rolex Series was a money-loser because despite a full-on promotion program and a good TV product, the racing was over-managed and (despite the slightly different body panels and the different badges on the motors) the cars were still spec cars.

Until people are honest enough to admit that That is the main problem, the new series is doomed.
This, I'm sorry, is a stupid comment. Yes, the Daytona Prototypes are a rather more closed class than the Le Mans Prototypes, they were designed that way for a reason, to keep cost escalation to a minimum - because that is, frankly, what has destroyed sports prototype racing in North America. If they were to go with P2 rules for the series, you might get 4-5 cars. We've all seen what's happened - P1 racing in the ALMS began with capable private teams, but Audi drove them all out until all we have is Dyson and Pickett. Rather the series made profit is irrelevant if you cannot get sufficient cars on the grid to make the series successful. The Daytona Prototypes have allowed small teams to become successful ones in a way that P1s or P2s never could have, that done by writing the rules in a way to keep the costs in the range where a dedicated, reasonably well-funded newcomer such as the Gainsco / Bob Stallings, Action Express, Michael Shank and Sahlen teams could enter and be successful. None of them would have escalated out of the GT ranks in the ALMS, if they ever got there at all.

This garbage about the Daytona Prototypes being rear-engined NASCAR stockers has got to stop. Tube-frame chassis and silhouette-style bodies is about where the similarity ends. The new rules will surely allow turbocharged engines in now, and that's before one gets into the much-more advanced aerodynamics of a DP versus any stock car.

Quote:
Forget the next two years and bickering about DP vs. P2—none of that matters. What matters is what USuckr presents in 2016. Will the 2016 rules allow teams to race real cars, or will it force teams to compete in castrated kit-cars? Will the series let the Cars be the stars, or will the series attempt (as Grand Am has always done) to remove everything except the drivers from the equation and survive by promoting drivers?

That is what will determine the success of the series.
Easy to say, but you cannot allow the costs of competing to get out of control. If the 2016 rules drive out all but a handful of the prototype runners then we are no further ahead than where we were before. It's easy to say make the cars the stars of the show (and I agree with that idea) but you have to make the series able to be competitive - in other words, no gazillion-dollar factory effort showing up and cleaning everyone's clocks - and you have to make it possible for the Michael Shanks and Bob Stallings and Extreme Speed Motorsports of the world, and indeed the Dyson Racings and the Muscle Milk Pickett Racings too, to compete for all the marbles. The ALMS let Audi run away with the series, and it destroyed their top classes. USCR has to not let that happen again, period. In these economic times, I think that there is a better than even chance of the series having to run the DP/P2/DW top class for a long time to come, but if they do go to new rules, the USCR has to get it right for them.

Quote:
Fresh Fans?

Further: Yes, the new series will need to attract fans from beyond the current ALMS/Rolex fan communities. However: it cannot afford to lose the sports car fan base: that core is simply too great a part of the overall fan pool right now.

Further USuckr cannot hope to attract other race fans with a castrated series. IndyCar fans are a potential source for new fans, and they know All about spec racing, and hate it. NASCAR is probably not a potential fan source, but most of them know about identical kit cars, and have been crying out for more differentiation—and the hard-cores there care about the engineering side of things. Not likely they will be sucked in a by a series more restricted then NASCAR.

As for potential fans who don’t follow much motorsport—This is the toughest nut to crack, and No one knows what will work here, but judging from past successes and failures: a series which offers varied, exciting machinery and world-class drivers can excite sports car fans and that excitement can spread.
Again, Grand Am is not, I REPEAT IS NOT, more restricted than NASCAR. Have the DP haters bothered to look at the fact that NASCAR will DQ cars for not fitting exact body shape templates? Is this DP hate or is this just misunderstanding of the rules?

As far as new fans go, its getting more people to the races that counts. Indycar is going for the same things (though their circular firing squad management style and short bus-grade bosses make that hard) so don't bother trying to get them for new fans. The best avenues IMO are NASCAR's non-diehards and those car enthusiasts who love cars in general but don't watch much in the way of racing. There are lots of said people out there, and we want them to be watching the series.

Quote:
What We Know Has Worked

A lot of ALMS fans (myself included) tend to think that the best way forward for USuckr is to include ACO/FIA classes: after all, these cars, drivers, and teams are the best in the sports car world, and their events are at all the historic tracks. Adopting ACO/FIA regulations increases the possibility that some of those teams will join for a few races (as Greaves and Aston Martin did at Sebring, for instance) or even contest the entire season (as rebellion has been doing) in order to get more North American exposure for their sponsors.

The further hope is that some of the factory teams: Audi, Toyota, Porsche, and whichever others join—would consider a north American program, if USuckr proved to be sufficiently popular.
Having the factory P1 teams here will drive the costs to astronomical levels unless the series cuts them down to size, which ALMS miserably failed to do with Audi's years of dominance. Having Audi or Toyota or Porsche might be nice while they are here, but if they withdraw, then what? By then, they will have extinguished the top classes, which puts us back where the ALMS is now. I have no issue with P1s if we could find a few more Dysons or Picketts or Rebellions, but without cutting costs down to a level where the teams running now can accomplish that you won't get it. If the series has to choose between manufacturer racing and privateer racing in its top classes, they need to choose the privateers.

In the GT categories, I do largely agree. I have been quite vocal in saying that Grand Am would be smart to get FIA GT3 rules equalized with the Grand Am GT rules and those allow the wealth of competitive (and turn-key in a bunch of cases) car options for enterprising entrants. FIA GT3 has the potential to be the huge time, and if USCR is smart they will seek whatever manufacturer entrants they can for GTE and whatever Grand Am GT and FIA GT3 entrants they can for the GT classes. But even with these, tossing the tube-framed cars would IMO be foolish - best way I think to use these is to allow existing tube-frame Grand-Am GTs into the GTD category, and allow Trans-Am style cars to run in GTE. The latter idea I'm sure will raise controversies, but considering that Trans-Am seems to be in full-on recovery from the Gentilozzi era now (35 cars started their series opener at Sebring) and those cars can be had for relatively cheaply, I'd allow that, but with a caveat that no factory entrants are allowed to run tube-framed cars in GTE, not that I think any would, and allow the tube-framers to run against the factory boys, just as IMSA did in the 1980s and 1990s.
Old 5 Apr 2013, 16:08 (Ref:3229574)   #311
BrentJackson
Racer

Canada
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
BrentJackson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBrentJackson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koenigsegg View Post
I suspect Dyson to be in with a P2 car. Either with a Lola or a Zytek.
I seem to recall that Dyson was gonna use their current cars modified to P2 spec. I expect Pickett to do the same, and I hope Rebellion sticks around to do the same.
Old 5 Apr 2013, 16:30 (Ref:3229581)   #312
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentJackson View Post
I seem to recall that Dyson was gonna use their current cars modified to P2 spec. I expect Pickett to do the same, and I hope Rebellion sticks around to do the same.
Don't count your chickens...
Old 5 Apr 2013, 16:37 (Ref:3229588)   #313
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Quote:
Does this not have a fairly simple solution? I don't think its coincidence that most of IMSA's tech guys are still around and yet Grand Am's promotional guys are also looking at long-term employment. It's not as if Sebring and Petit are the only successful events - Daytona, Laguna Seca and Mosport are all quite successful from an attendance front. (And I'm pretty confident that Mosport will be better in 2013 and 2014 than before - the new owners of the place are tossing around a pile of $$$ and have big dreams for the place, so bet on there being more promotion this year, and they have dumped millions into track upgrades in the last couple years.)

This, I'm sorry, is a stupid comment. Yes, the Daytona Prototypes are a rather more closed class than the Le Mans Prototypes, they were designed that way for a reason, to keep cost escalation to a minimum - because that is, frankly, what has destroyed sports prototype racing in North America. If they were to go with P2 rules for the series, you might get 4-5 cars. We've all seen what's happened - P1 racing in the ALMS began with capable private teams, but Audi drove them all out until all we have is Dyson and Pickett. Rather the series made profit is irrelevant if you cannot get sufficient cars on the grid to make the series successful. The Daytona Prototypes have allowed small teams to become successful ones in a way that P1s or P2s never could have, that done by writing the rules in a way to keep the costs in the range where a dedicated, reasonably well-funded newcomer such as the Gainsco / Bob Stallings, Action Express, Michael Shank and Sahlen teams could enter and be successful. None of them would have escalated out of the GT ranks in the ALMS, if they ever got there at all.

This garbage about the Daytona Prototypes being rear-engined NASCAR stockers has got to stop. Tube-frame chassis and silhouette-style bodies is about where the similarity ends. The new rules will surely allow turbocharged engines in now, and that's before one gets into the much-more advanced aerodynamics of a DP versus any stock car.

Easy to say, but you cannot allow the costs of competing to get out of control. If the 2016 rules drive out all but a handful of the prototype runners then we are no further ahead than where we were before. It's easy to say make the cars the stars of the show (and I agree with that idea) but you have to make the series able to be competitive - in other words, no gazillion-dollar factory effort showing up and cleaning everyone's clocks - and you have to make it possible for the Michael Shanks and Bob Stallings and Extreme Speed Motorsports of the world, and indeed the Dyson Racings and the Muscle Milk Pickett Racings too, to compete for all the marbles. The ALMS let Audi run away with the series, and it destroyed their top classes. USCR has to not let that happen again, period. In these economic times, I think that there is a better than even chance of the series having to run the DP/P2/DW top class for a long time to come, but if they do go to new rules, the USCR has to get it right for them.

Again, Grand Am is not, I REPEAT IS NOT, more restricted than NASCAR. Have the DP haters bothered to look at the fact that NASCAR will DQ cars for not fitting exact body shape templates? Is this DP hate or is this just misunderstanding of the rules?

As far as new fans go, its getting more people to the races that counts. Indycar is going for the same things (though their circular firing squad management style and short bus-grade bosses make that hard) so don't bother trying to get them for new fans. The best avenues IMO are NASCAR's non-diehards and those car enthusiasts who love cars in general but don't watch much in the way of racing. There are lots of said people out there, and we want them to be watching the series.

Having the factory P1 teams here will drive the costs to astronomical levels unless the series cuts them down to size, which ALMS miserably failed to do with Audi's years of dominance. Having Audi or Toyota or Porsche might be nice while they are here, but if they withdraw, then what? By then, they will have extinguished the top classes, which puts us back where the ALMS is now. I have no issue with P1s if we could find a few more Dysons or Picketts or Rebellions, but without cutting costs down to a level where the teams running now can accomplish that you won't get it. If the series has to choose between manufacturer racing and privateer racing in its top classes, they need to choose the privateers.

In the GT categories, I do largely agree. I have been quite vocal in saying that Grand Am would be smart to get FIA GT3 rules equalized with the Grand Am GT rules and those allow the wealth of competitive (and turn-key in a bunch of cases) car options for enterprising entrants. FIA GT3 has the potential to be the huge time, and if USCR is smart they will seek whatever manufacturer entrants they can for GTE and whatever Grand Am GT and FIA GT3 entrants they can for the GT classes. But even with these, tossing the tube-framed cars would IMO be foolish - best way I think to use these is to allow existing tube-frame Grand-Am GTs into the GTD category, and allow Trans-Am style cars to run in GTE. The latter idea I'm sure will raise controversies, but considering that Trans-Am seems to be in full-on recovery from the Gentilozzi era now (35 cars started their series opener at Sebring) and those cars can be had for relatively cheaply, I'd allow that, but with a caveat that no factory entrants are allowed to run tube-framed cars in GTE, not that I think any would, and allow the tube-framers to run against the factory boys, just as IMSA did in the 1980s and 1990s.
NASCAR needs to decide if they want to make money from the USCR from entry fees, supplier contracts, etc. or from ticket sales and advertising revenue. Your path would lead to the latter (no fan base). The cars need to be technologically sophisticated and innovative. I don't watch spec cars and tube frames driving around ovals, and I certainly have no interest in seeing that on road courses. If they won't adopt P class rules that are innovative and open then drop them all together and let the factories duke it out in GTLM where they can innovate and show off technology on their road cars. P2 proves you can have a combination of innovation and cost containment with the requirement of the motors being derived from stock production blocks. Look at the diversity and car counts globally, it works.
I love the hypocrisy of the GA camps guys who say 2-3 LMP1 aren't worth saving but then defend the continued existence of the same number of prep 2 GT cars. Tube frame = Club racing IMO. Nothing wrong with club racing, just don't try to pass it off as the big leagues. As for the Trans Am cars, no way.
Old 5 Apr 2013, 16:56 (Ref:3229596)   #314
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada ALMS fan View Post
If they won't adopt P class rules that are innovative and open then drop them all together and let the factories duke it out in GTLM where they can innovate and show off technology on their road cars.

GTLM the future??? It's been the only remotely relevant class (GT2/GTE/GTLM) for the past 5 years, half a decade, in all of American Sportscar Racing. It's where ALL the major manufacturers have gone, where most of the high end sponsors have gone, and where 90% of the Professional Auto Racing is. I guarantee you most of the people going to these races are probably focusing on the GT field. It's starting to become that way in the WEC as well. Look at the field of GTE Pro at Le Mans and compare it to P1? Which looks like a more professional and exciting grid that is also relevant to manufacturers and fans alike?

Other than that it's stupid, pointless arguments about which prototype class sucks the least. A full field of boring, uninspiring Daytona Prototypes or a 3 car field of remotely interesting but NOT the fastest prototypes in the world in P1 as the factories only show up once a year. P2???? Pro-Am and no factories is not an acceptable lead class in a so-called professional racing series. Scott Tucker and his friend Mr. Braun can go race in SCCA where he also bribes the officials if he wants to race Pro-Am overall.

As for the Speed of GTs? Who cares, way back in the day there was a time when Sports Cars in Endurance Racing where faster than Grand Prix cars. Now, even the fastest P1s are pathetic when compared to F1 cars due to technical regulations. GTLM is the most appropriate realistic top class for the future of North American sport scar racing. Too bad we'll probably get some half assed dinosaur prototype concept as the lead in 2016 and beyond.
Old 5 Apr 2013, 17:07 (Ref:3229600)   #315
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
New rules for 2014s lmp1 cars means theres no reason to enter this year. Porsche is coming. Nissan as well. Thats 5 manufacturers. Not far off what gte is. Viper Corvette and BMW aren't in the WEC pro category. LeMans yes but if they were in the WEC there would be 6. In ALMS this year you have 5. So the difference imo is inflated because of the non factory backed GTE cars.
Old 5 Apr 2013, 17:16 (Ref:3229602)   #316
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Perhaps the P1 manufacturers shouldn't have waited until 2014, oh wait 2015, oh perhaps 2016 to suddenly gain interest in a full season P1 campaign in the United States.

And that doesn't mean yet another 1 and done at Sebring.
Old 5 Apr 2013, 17:34 (Ref:3229609)   #317
Zurbert82
Veteran

United States
Pittsburgh
Zurbert82 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCosworthPanoz View Post
DP
P1!
Old 5 Apr 2013, 18:10 (Ref:3229624)   #318
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
Hee hee Zubert, DP stands for many of the things I'm not a fan of: Double Post, Daytona Prototypes, Danica Patrick...

P.S. Thanks mod.
Old 5 Apr 2013, 18:13 (Ref:3229626)   #319
MagVanisher
Veteran

MagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
The latter idea I'm sure will raise controversies, but considering that Trans-Am seems to be in full-on recovery from the Gentilozzi era now (35 cars started their series opener at Sebring) and those cars can be had for relatively cheaply, I'd allow that, but with a caveat that no factory entrants are allowed to run tube-framed cars in GTE, not that I think any would, and allow the tube-framers to run against the factory boys, just as IMSA did in the 1980s and 1990s.
Trans-Am cars should race alongside DTM/GT500 cars IMO. (Unless USCR ditches the DPs in favor of highly-advanced silhouette cars)
Old 5 Apr 2013, 18:21 (Ref:3229632)   #320
Zurbert82
Veteran

United States
Pittsburgh
Zurbert82 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Hee hee Zubert, DP stands for many of the things I'm not a fan of: Double Post, Daytona Prototypes, Danica Patrick...

P.S. Thanks mod.
Sorry, couldn't resist
Old 5 Apr 2013, 19:01 (Ref:3229642)   #321
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Brent, a privateer on the order of Ganassi can be just as destructive as a factory like Audi. Also, what was the ALMS supposed to do differently? A team like Audi will ALWAYS find other, unrestricted ways to spend the money they have. Draconian restrictions would have just led to Audi leave, along with a fair bit of the Series' marketing/promotions.

FCP, there's no question that a group, even a small group, of privateer LMP1s is more exciting than a field of DPs. If there's much of any fight for position, it will also tip the scales at least a little more than even a good GT2 class. Point blank, I am LESS likely to watch a GT-only series than a Prototype and GT series.

The series will NEED factories to provide marketing/promotional dollars.

I know another Can-Am couldn't last, but GA just doesn't do it for me, or many others, clearly. Whatever the new Prototype class should have a variety of engines, and for instance, not all the atmospheric engines should be 5.0-litre V8s. I also have an issue with the chassis homogeneity that allows any body to be plunked down on any chassis. Obviously, it's NOT good either, that just basic tuning isn't okay in GA, and that NEEDS to be changed in the new series, at least by the time of the new Prototype class.

I'm not sure what the "right" technical rules are that could keep the factories somewhat at bay, while still being appealing to those factories. A requirement of having a "stock" engine has plenty of niggly ways to work around it. F1's aero restrictions are the reason for the, in the eyes of many, ugly cars, plus all those appendages have made the cars much more aero-sensitive and therefore it's more difficult to overtake. Classically, fuel mileage racing has meant boring racing, and only the factories can afford to develop the ultra-efficient engines/systems to take greatest advantage of those sorts of rules anyway.

(I do like some of the basics of the 2014 LMP1 regs, in which factories MUST build hybrids. Privateers will probably have conventional powertrains, and will be allowed to run at a lower weight.)

Basically, if it can be helped, I don't want a GT-only series come 2016, or whenever. I also want a more exciting top class than DP or P2. (One thought I do have there is to have a standard prescription for a composite crash structure around the driver and the fuel cell. Outside of that though, the builders could do their thing on bodywork, suspension, and bolt-on, metal sub-frames for either end of the car.)

I need a formula for Sportscar racing that really grabs me. ALMS did so from the very first race I saw. Grand-Am really hasn't done that for me, even though I follow the series. I'm concerned that the USCR formula isn't going to dothe trick either. There isn't much else to fall back on, and a mere eight WEC races isn't enough to occupy me for anywhere near the full racing season.

P.S. I would be at least somewhat more receptive to a GT series, IF we actually had a proper GT1 class, but we don't. I'd say Trans-Am (SCCA GT1) or SuperGT GT500 are the closest things to it right now.
Old 5 Apr 2013, 19:23 (Ref:3229653)   #322
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
The series will NEED factories to provide marketing/promotional dollars.

Basically, if it can be helped, I don't want a GT-only series come 2016, or whenever. I also want a more exciting top class than DP or P2. (One thought I do have there is to have a standard prescription for a composite crash structure around the driver and the fuel cell. Outside of that though, the builders could do their thing on bodywork, suspension, and bolt-on, metal sub-frames for either end of the car.)

P.S. I would be at least somewhat more receptive to a GT series, IF we actually had a proper GT1 class, but we don't. I'd say Trans-Am (SCCA GT1) or SuperGT GT500 are the closest things to it right now.
The series has factory support through the GTLM class.

It will not be a GT only series come 2016!! Prototypes will be a part of it, period.

I also think that a spec 'saftety cell' with unstressed engines and the subframes scenario is a very reasonable way to go about it. That would also open the market up for more boutique builders as they could purchase the spec carbon fiber safety cell (tub) and build the car off of/ around it.

I think that would also be a good move for the ACO to do in P-2.

L.P.
Old 5 Apr 2013, 19:31 (Ref:3229656)   #323
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
Yes, but would you rather a series with the current GT crop as the top class or DP/P2?

In a perfect world, I'd love to see something like GTP that incorporates the top flight of sportscars (LMP1) internationally into American racing and makes it generally more affordable for privateers to race. How the heck could something like this be done? I don't know, it certainly isn't up to me.
Old 5 Apr 2013, 19:33 (Ref:3229657)   #324
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Yes, but would you rather a series with the current GT crop as the top class or DP/P2?
I'd hope that there's enough smart people in USCR as well as the ACO and the FIA to realize that they could come up with a good GTP-style set of regulations for 2016 that can also be applied as a LMP2 class. And de-restrict those cars a bit in the USA to make them a proper top class.
Old 5 Apr 2013, 19:50 (Ref:3229665)   #325
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_RO View Post
I'd hope that there's enough smart people in USCR as well as the ACO and the FIA to realize that they could come up with a good GTP-style set of regulations for 2016 that can also be applied as a LMP2 class. And de-restrict those cars a bit in the USA to make them a proper top class.

L.P.