Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 23 Jun 2011, 11:23 (Ref:2904697)   #3251
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
Yup, these are ROAD cars running at N24, run by geezers from AML Gaydon production lines. IIRC there's usually a seat for the CEO, Ulrich Betz? There have been some impressive cars off the back of these efforts.
Vantage N24 for one!

But they aren't anything to do with AMR, really. They are Prodrive, in Banbury. About 20 miles, and 1 junction, down the M40.
Old 24 Jun 2011, 06:27 (Ref:2905058)   #3252
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Ulrich Betz is in one of those Zagatos this weekend
Old 24 Jun 2011, 06:37 (Ref:2905061)   #3253
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
I really dont like the idea of AMR releasing another differant chassis , unless they get their Vantage working ..... their reputation is starting to suffer now , unfinished business .
Old 24 Jun 2011, 06:45 (Ref:2905065)   #3254
The Real DMN
Racer

England
North Yorkshire
The Real DMN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Zagato is from AML, not AMR. Its nothing to do with Prodive.
Old 24 Jun 2011, 07:08 (Ref:2905078)   #3255
AstonGeoff
Veteran

England
Witney
AstonGeoff should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger View Post
I really dont like the idea of AMR releasing another differant chassis , unless they get their Vantage working ..... their reputation is starting to suffer now , unfinished business .
The problem with the Vantage GT2 is that is has never been run by a top GT team. I don't think it is that bad a car it just needs a team that can afford two or three top drivers and some development time. Don't forget that the JMW car almost won GT2 at the Silverstone 1000k's last year, and that was starting from pole.

But, it is a customer car programme, rather than the works or semi-works efforts like P&M or Schnitzer or numerous Porsche and Ferrari teams.

It's a shame cos it would have been nice to see another car in the fight for GTE.
Old 24 Jun 2011, 17:37 (Ref:2905375)   #3256
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
All about selling cars to collectors now I feel rather than making them fast enough to appeal to race teams.

Maybe it time for a back to basis program. Too many distractions, too much champers swilled, too many egos.
Old 25 Jun 2011, 06:26 (Ref:2905585)   #3257
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic View Post
All about selling cars to collectors now I feel rather than making them fast enough to appeal to race teams.
The cars would be worth more in the long run if they got some decent results...
Old 26 Jun 2011, 00:38 (Ref:2906057)   #3258
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
I honestly have a feeling that this will come good ..... Their foray into P1 wont be in vain .
Old 27 Jun 2011, 03:53 (Ref:2906640)   #3259
cdsvg
Racer

Australia
cdsvg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AstonGeoff View Post
The problem with the Vantage GT2 is that is has never been run by a top GT team. I don't think it is that bad a car it just needs a team that can afford two or three top drivers and some development time. Don't forget that the JMW car almost won GT2 at the Silverstone 1000k's last year, and that was starting from pole.

But, it is a customer car programme, rather than the works or semi-works efforts like P&M or Schnitzer or numerous Porsche and Ferrari teams.

It's a shame cos it would have been nice to see another car in the fight for GTE.
I disagree. Throughout the whole first year of its development, it would chew through multiple engines each race weekend. It has only come close to the rest of the GTE pack through huge performance balancing breaks. This is clearly a car that has been developed on the cheap, it isnt in the same league as the 458, m3, corvette or porsche.
Old 27 Jun 2011, 11:35 (Ref:2906779)   #3260
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
Have you seen the M3 waiver list???
Seriously, just about everything out there has SOME bit of give from the ACO.
Yes, the Vantage has a lot of them, but they are not alone.
It needs a seious team, to work the kinks out, Long Term.
Hexis had it running VERY quickly, 3 years back, but it was fragile. JMW had a pretty quick, pretty reliable, car. But there's no continuity...
Old 27 Jun 2011, 11:50 (Ref:2906784)   #3261
AstonGeoff
Veteran

England
Witney
AstonGeoff should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdsavage View Post
I disagree. Throughout the whole first year of its development, it would chew through multiple engines each race weekend. It has only come close to the rest of the GTE pack through huge performance balancing breaks. This is clearly a car that has been developed on the cheap, it isnt in the same league as the 458, m3, corvette or porsche.
hhhmmm and the M3, Corvette and Porsche haven't been given performance breaks.... The days of teams/manufacturers building a car and making it as fast as they can and that's it have long gone I'm afraid, in a world dominated by marketing and sponsorship and with organisers wanting as many competitive cars as possible there will always be performance breaks or equalisation.

Yes I agree they had a lot of engine problems to start with, but it was pretty much only Drayson who was running the car, a nice guy but not a top team.

The reality is that AMR/Prodrive have stretched themselves too far with GT1/2/3/4 and LMP1. When the GT1 was the only programme it had a reasonable amount of success, had they gone the same route as P&M then I've no doubt the GT2 would have been a lot quicker, but they didn't.
Old 27 Jun 2011, 12:01 (Ref:2906791)   #3262
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
I had heard that this year's Vantage V8 is now a paperweight, as it is way worse than last year's version...
As I said, Top Team, Long Term. THAT is what the car really needs.
Old 27 Jun 2011, 12:58 (Ref:2906823)   #3263
geeteeone
Racer

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes, UK
geeteeone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim the Grey View Post
As I said, Top Team, Long Term. THAT is what the car really needs.
Absolutely. Look at what Oreca managed with the Saleen S7-R. Before they took it on it was occasionally fast but woefully unreliable. After they had finished with it it was pretty much one of the fastest GT1s and plenty reliable too. The Aston Vantage is a classic example of a car that has potential but needs money throwing at it. Having privateers work out the kinks is not going to work.
Old 27 Jun 2011, 13:05 (Ref:2906827)   #3264
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim the Grey View Post
I had heard that this year's Vantage V8 is now a paperweight, as it is way worse than last year's version...
Even with more-than-generous 2011' breaks from the ACO (increased fuel tank capacity & gurney adjustments)? Just imagine what a dog of a car that machine would really be without all the constant performance breaks.
Old 27 Jun 2011, 14:38 (Ref:2906864)   #3265
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Sorry, mis-leading comment. I believe the ENGINE is a step back, the car itself is actually pretty good.

And as said before, it's not alone in having a sheaf of waivers in it's favour.
Old 27 Jun 2011, 15:12 (Ref:2906876)   #3266
old man
Veteran

England
UK
old man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AstonGeoff View Post

I have been working hard and not keeping up with discussion here but this is a strange post. You point out that JMW almost won the Silverstone race and I would remind you that they did win the next one but with a Ferrari. Jim McWhirter, Doc, Rob Bell and the rest of the guys in a team that has won the LMS GT2 class title twice and come close on a third occasion would take exception to your comment that they do not constitute a "Top Team".

I do agree that it is a shame they did not continue with the Vantage for a second season but Michelotti must have been hurt by their defection and probably promissed a lot for them to return. The problems they had at Le Mans after giving the 458 its first win show that even the great Ferrari tuner has off days but they did get to the end of the LM24 after some soul destroying pit work. When I sneaked into their garage at one point 5 Michelotti guys were engaged in solving whatever the problem was.

It is probably true that Prodrive are spreading themselves rather thin and should concentrate on one series but as we have lots of series where they can sell cars it seeems to me that they are trying to emulate Porsche and make the racing division pay for itself.

Let's see how this oufit does at Imola
Old 27 Jun 2011, 16:31 (Ref:2906902)   #3267
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
There is meant to be a meeting this week to decide if the AMR-One returns later this season.
Old 27 Jun 2011, 16:57 (Ref:2906914)   #3268
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post
There is meant to be a meeting this week to decide if the AMR-One returns later this season.
Hmm.

If the car can race (actually run in the race, not just a few laps), the car should.
Old 27 Jun 2011, 17:32 (Ref:2906937)   #3269
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!
I´ll make a bold prediction and say the car in it's current form (engine layout, no big aerodynamic changes) will never race again.

Last edited by Acid09; 27 Jun 2011 at 17:46.
Old 27 Jun 2011, 18:10 (Ref:2906954)   #3270
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid09 View Post
I´ll make a bold prediction and say the car in it's current form (engine layout, no big aerodynamic changes) will never race again.
I would agree that we wont see the car race again until it becomes at least the AMR 1B or whatever they call it. But I don't think the engine layout will change.
Old 27 Jun 2011, 19:32 (Ref:2906994)   #3271
The Badger
Veteran

I think they should stick with the engine , imo ..... but I strongly suggest paying a visit to a wind tunnel .

Im not sure if all this cad/cam tech is really as good as the real thing .
Old 27 Jun 2011, 19:57 (Ref:2907004)   #3272
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
That won't take too long then!

The package was a total embarrassment at Le Mans, and I can't see them risking that again.
Old 27 Jun 2011, 20:10 (Ref:2907009)   #3273
The Badger
Veteran

double post , sorry .
Old 27 Jun 2011, 21:12 (Ref:2907038)   #3274
AGD
Veteran

AGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
What I am wondering is what Jota and the other supposed customers for this car are thinking/doing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post
If the car can race (actually run in the race, not just a few laps), the car should.
Barring a massive increase in reliability and performance, I think they should maybe run the car in the ALMS if it does run again this year. They could end up on the podium even with an embarrassing effort in the ALMS and the ALMS may help them out with some massive performance breaks.

Quote:
I think they should stick with the engine , imo ..... but I strongly suggest paying a visit to a wind tunnel .

Going to the windtunnel won't help them get more than a couple of laps out of an engine. The chassis probably needs some fine tuning at the very least, but I think they have to figure out how to get much better reliability and performance out of that engine. Wasting any significant amount of money on developing the chassis at this point is probably misguided as the engine needs lots of help.
Old 28 Jun 2011, 00:53 (Ref:2907099)   #3275
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:

Given that the car was relatively quick through the Porsche Curves and suffered almost exclusively from drivetrain reliability and performance shortcomings, why on earth would you go to a wind tunnel first? Sure, there may be some deficiencies which will show up when it's got a proper lump underneath it, but revealing those in a tunnel will be of little use if they can't reach that pace on a track.