Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 31 May 2013, 13:51 (Ref:3256002)   #3426
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!
The key word here is 'customer'.

PS. Love the quote in signature above. Sums up why I hate DRS.
Old 31 May 2013, 15:08 (Ref:3256024)   #3427
Christian Mogami
Racer

Austria
Christian Mogami has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Level 5

He has the money to run a two car team in WEC.
Lately he likes to stay away from America
and by every day is getting more dislike for the NASCAR
P2/DP merg.

Greg Pickett(Muscle Milk) will not race under Nascar and at the last race(Laguna Seca) talked off the record that they will be in WEC next year.
He wouldn't race unless he had a car that could win(2014 coupe).

Rebellion have too wait and see
Old 31 May 2013, 15:33 (Ref:3256037)   #3428
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Tucker's team manager has gone on the record stating that they want to run in a Pro/Am class, though. P1 would be the opposite of that.
Old 31 May 2013, 15:38 (Ref:3256041)   #3429
Christian Mogami
Racer

Austria
Mr Tucker likes to take on the next game(win privateer p1).

And he sees that Strakka has an am driver owner,who does ok.
Old 31 May 2013, 15:47 (Ref:3256046)   #3430
Breitling24
Veteran

Breitling24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBreitling24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Mogami View Post
Greg Pickett(Muscle Milk) will not race under Nascar and at the last race(Laguna Seca) talked off the record that they will be in WEC next year.
Guess that "off the record" isn't so any longer.

"Travel makes a wise man better, and a fool worse." Thomas Fuller
Old 31 May 2013, 16:06 (Ref:3256057)   #3431
Christian Mogami
Racer

Austria
Honda gave HPD the ok for the 2014 LMP1 project (the formula fits in their marketing plans... 'powertrain efficiency').

All HPD has to do now is find a team or teams to buy it!

So all we are waiting for is to see what team/teams sign the contract.
Old 31 May 2013, 19:17 (Ref:3256114)   #3432
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Mogami View Post

He wouldn't race unless he had a car that could win(2014 coupe).
He also said he could be in Indycar or stay in the USCR so....
Old 31 May 2013, 19:59 (Ref:3256135)   #3433
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal View Post
Being left field - it couldn't be McLaren could it - or someone associated with them?
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
The whole point of rumours is that you can suggest anything

How about the return of "talbot"
There has been rumors about a Talbot brand revive. But that was as a Dacia competitor, running the old PSA platforms at a bargain price.

But as the brand is owned by PSA, I guess it's unlikely
Old 31 May 2013, 21:31 (Ref:3256161)   #3434
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
I was trying to think of the most unlikely name from Le mans history and came up with Talbot.
Old 31 May 2013, 22:23 (Ref:3256181)   #3435
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I was trying to think of the most unlikely name from Le mans history and came up with Talbot.
In a scary way, I'm sad to think that Mercedes is even more unlikely.
Old 31 May 2013, 22:31 (Ref:3256185)   #3436
vincegail
Veteran

Netherlands
Antwerp, Belgium
vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!
After '55 and '99, the only way Mercedes is going back to Le Mans is when it's a 100% sure they will lock out the podium. And we all know that's almost impossible to achieve, so does Mercedes, so we'll never see them again I fear.
Old 1 Jun 2013, 08:33 (Ref:3256298)   #3437
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
I think the SLS could do well in (if) GTE. I dont know about never coming back, I would hope thats not the case.
Old 1 Jun 2013, 09:40 (Ref:3256328)   #3438
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
The way things are going at the top level with porsche and Audi if BMW send a car either GT or LMP to le mans the pressure on mercedes to be there will be to hard to resist IMHO
Old 1 Jun 2013, 09:42 (Ref:3256331)   #3439
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
The way things are going at the top level with porsche and Audi if BMW send a car either GT or LMP to le mans the pressure on mercedes to be there will be to hard to resist IMHO
Really hoping BMW will send the Z4 into the GTE battle next year.
Old 1 Jun 2013, 09:45 (Ref:3256334)   #3440
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
I am sure that is there ultimate aim but the GT class is looking very full already so they will have to be planning already and I am sure they are
Old 1 Jun 2013, 10:56 (Ref:3256356)   #3441
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I am sure that is there ultimate aim but the GT class is looking very full already so they will have to be planning already and I am sure they are
You're right. If they want to take two cars they just need to say the word and the ACO will grant that. By next June they will be winning consistently IMO.

I think a lot more depends on the USCR next year. There's an interesting question there as to whether we'll see an upturn in American teams or maybe they'll look to stay away and concentrate on a big year domestically.

We've certainly seen an upward surge in terms of entries from North American drivers. There's around 20 I think at Le Mans this year and a whole load more drivers who are US-based.

We need more American/USCR teams at the big race.
Old 1 Jun 2013, 11:24 (Ref:3256361)   #3442
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
I think the SLS could do well in (if) GTE. I dont know about never coming back, I would hope thats not the case.
From what I've heard, AMG are pretty much done with the SLS GT3 project. They are happy to sell additonal cars to anyone who has the necessary €400.000, but it really is just a customer program - much more so than Audi's GT3 effort for example.

That could mean two things: a) they have free capabilities to take the car to GTE or b) they are not interested in doing anything more with it than having a nice customer program that also happens to be a profit center.
Old 1 Jun 2013, 13:00 (Ref:3256384)   #3443
gustavobamba
Veteran

Portugal
Viana do Castelo
gustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I´m talking about some team´s in a closely future using the 1.6 V6 Turbo engines but I would like to ask to anyone in this forum if is that possible?
I heard that the engine could be easily tuned for endurance, is that right??

Didn´t the ACO in the 2014 rules assume that the new F1 engines could be used in Endurance?

If all of this is correct, then Mercedes; Renault; Ferrari; Honda and possible Ford will have engines suitable for Private teams right????? P1 engine´s
Old 1 Jun 2013, 17:07 (Ref:3256469)   #3444
Salamus
Veteran

Canada
Ontario
Salamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gustavobamba View Post
I´m talking about some team´s in a closely future using the 1.6 V6 Turbo engines but I would like to ask to anyone in this forum if is that possible?
I heard that the engine could be easily tuned for endurance, is that right??

Didn´t the ACO in the 2014 rules assume that the new F1 engines could be used in Endurance?

If all of this is correct, then Mercedes; Renault; Ferrari; Honda and possible Ford will have engines suitable for Private teams right????? P1 engine´s
1992 - Biggest reason why F1 and Prototypes cannot use the same engines.
Old 1 Jun 2013, 18:36 (Ref:3256491)   #3445
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salamus View Post
I can see the fear factor, but these are totally different circumstances.
Old 1 Jun 2013, 19:15 (Ref:3256505)   #3446
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Think your core point is right, in that the price point for a 2014 F1 spec engine is probably going to be way beyond the budget most teams have in mind, which is the core driver behind why 1992 happened - not a shortage of cars and engines, but a catastrophic absence of budgets to run them, all connected with the underlying economic situation. As an aside, there's an interesting story that the C91 more or less broke Walter Brun, which is pretty illustrative of what the price point looks like.

But let's broaden our perspective. 1972 introduced a common suite of engine regs, and while there is a school of thought that claims the end of the 917/512 era ushered in some form of dark ages, the presence of perfectly valid engine options from Matra, Alfa Romeo, Ferrari, and Cosworth, to say nothing of grandfathered in Porsche options, all looked perfectly valid, and led to a serviceable, if not classic, decade.

So let's look at 2014. If F1 engine manufacturers want to charge going rate for engines (and let's take the cited number of Renault's 17 million - never clear whether this is USD, GBP, or EUR) then it's going to be a non-starter without someone with very deep pockets suddenly having an urge to go out and win Le Mans. But turn this on its head, 17 million is probably a pretty arbitrary figure for a major manufacturer, because you have to look at offsetting the investment in terms of what it does for your brand - and if you figure that's all sorted by the simple presence in F1, then actually all your doing by charging for engines is recouping some cashflow. At that point you don't need to charge the 17 million, you can charge what you like, and the payback can be measured in additional exposure, which might change the financial picture quite a lot.

In short - speculatively if Mercedes reckon the sunk investment in their F1 programme gives them the ability, as a by product, to lock out the podium at Le Mans through giving a team the engines to bodge into the back of a Perrinn doesn't the equation start to look different?

Obviously this might not happen - it's completely reliant on there being a value proposition to be made from competing at Le Mans, which despite our predilections, isn't a done deal, but it does mean the correlation of engine convergence in 1992 and 2014, doesn't mean causation that 2014 will be like 1992.
Old 1 Jun 2013, 20:14 (Ref:3256516)   #3447
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Bad analogy. 1992 forced to use same 3.5L configuration, 2014 does not force a configuration at all. And nothing in the regulations specifically favors the F1 V6s as opposed to a clean sheet design.

Last edited by deggis; 1 Jun 2013 at 20:19.
Old 1 Jun 2013, 20:22 (Ref:3256521)   #3448
Baigu
Rookie

Canada
Ottawa
Baigu should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Besides factory teams or semi-works teams, I dont see any customers getting F1 engines, too much secret around them. Manufacturers wont risk getting there innovations stolen. The only way customers are getting F1 engines would be using 2014 F1 engines in 2015...
Old 1 Jun 2013, 20:23 (Ref:3256522)   #3449
zanfo zanfagni
Racer

zanfo zanfagni has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post
I can see the fear factor, but these are totally different circumstances.
Totally agree. '90 WSC used the same engines and transmissions taken directly from an F1. A 2014 V6 F1 turbo unit would require extensive modifies to be used in an lmp1. Do you think that Mercedes, Renault, Honda and Ferrari will invest money to develope this modified engine just to supply it to some private team? In a parallele universe maybe. Don't forget that renault will ask 22ml€ per season to the teams that will use their new engine. Private lmp1 teams have a whole season budget less than that.
Old 1 Jun 2013, 22:04 (Ref:3256544)   #3450
Christian Mogami
Racer

Austria
Most likely a lease program on a petrol HPD 2.2-2.4L Indy V6 turbo with or with-out hybrid option and you can still buy the NA 3.4L V8 too.

With the budget that Honda gives HPD their not going to make a new engine and HPD has nothing to do with the new Honda F1 V6 e-turbo engine and the price problem of using it (15-20 mil a year).What privateer team can afford that?

Now if Honda backs the program to get their feet wet before F1 in 2015,then we might see the 1.6L V6 e-turbo!

Also HPD can surprise use and add turbos to the 3.4L V8.