Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 16 Jan 2016, 02:48 (Ref:3605259)   #326
Lanky Turtle
Veteran

Lanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Man look at that crowd in the stands! Of course at the time there weren't 100,000 seats on the frontstretch to spread out in. This was the first 24 Hours of Daytona I attended in person and the debut of the legendary Porsche 962.
Old 16 Jan 2016, 02:52 (Ref:3605260)   #327
Nick Woodbury
Veteran

United States
New England
Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by skycafe View Post
NOT Group C at all! GTP formula and 'old' group V which became GTX.
When I see March's, 962's, Group 44 Jags, and Nimrods, I automatically think Group C. Sorry, force of habit.
Old 16 Jan 2016, 16:36 (Ref:3605368)   #328
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
hondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridhondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
very good image of the contenders in GTLM
https://scontent-mia1-1.xx.fbcdn.net...33&oe=57383DFE
Old 16 Jan 2016, 18:09 (Ref:3605393)   #329
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
However both are still pitch black when compared to the laughable night-for-day WEC COTA and full F1-conditions WEC Bahrain, which might as well be in daylight.
Ir's even more absurd that the FIA WEC claimes to be environmentally friendly when the Bahrain round spends more energy in lighting than thousands of kafala workers.
Old 16 Jan 2016, 18:27 (Ref:3605402)   #330
FLGTFAN
Racer

United States
Naples, Florida
FLGTFAN has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
For those of you lamenting the lack of proper night racing, the most exciting 20 minutes of at-dark GT racing is happening in 3 weeks.
Old 16 Jan 2016, 19:04 (Ref:3605413)   #331
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Interesting that the new BMW was fastest, but I guess the times don't mean much. *reaches for sandbag*
Old 16 Jan 2016, 19:10 (Ref:3605418)   #332
Nick Woodbury
Veteran

United States
New England
Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!
In regards to BMW's choice of number this year, why have they chosen to grace one of their entries with the #100 instead of the usual #24 and #25 arrangement like last year?

Heritage? History? Something else significant to the automaker?
Old 16 Jan 2016, 19:11 (Ref:3605419)   #333
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Woodbury View Post
In regards to BMW's choice of number this year, why have they chosen to grace one of their entries with the #100 instead of the usual #24 and #25 arrangement like last year?

Heritage? History? Something else significant to the automaker?
100th anniversary of BMW this year (according to Wiki, precise day will be 7 March).
Old 16 Jan 2016, 22:41 (Ref:3605465)   #334
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan View Post
Interesting that the new BMW was fastest, but I guess the times don't mean much. *reaches for sandbag*

Is it just me or does that sandbag have a blue oval on it?
Old 17 Jan 2016, 01:42 (Ref:3605505)   #335
FLGTFAN
Racer

United States
Naples, Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_RO View Post
100th anniversary of BMW this year (according to Wiki, precise day will be 7 March).
At the risk of sounding too negative, I find it strange that we are commemorating BMW's 100 years with a big V8 racing car.
Old 17 Jan 2016, 14:09 (Ref:3605648)   #336
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLGTFAN View Post
At the risk of sounding too negative, I find it strange that we are commemorating BMW's 100 years with a big V8 racing car.
Ha! Its at least in the street version this time right?
Old 17 Jan 2016, 16:23 (Ref:3605661)   #337
ATLFalconsFAN
Veteran

United States
Stockton, CA
ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!
Quote:
For those of you lamenting the lack of proper night racing, the most exciting 20 minutes of at-dark GT racing is happening in 3 weeks.
Bathurst??? If that's what you are referring to I am totally in agreement! Been looking forward to Bathurst 2016 since the end of Bathurst 2015. One of these days will have to head "Down Under".
Old 17 Jan 2016, 17:04 (Ref:3605669)   #338
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLFalconsFAN View Post
Bathurst??? If that's what you are referring to I am totally in agreement! Been looking forward to Bathurst 2016 since the end of Bathurst 2015. One of these days will have to head "Down Under".
Agreed. I need to start my "research" soon.

As for proper night racing, what is that? Only having lights in certain corners or very little lighting at all to make circuits more dangerous in the dark?
Old 17 Jan 2016, 19:56 (Ref:3605700)   #339
FLGTFAN
Racer

United States
Naples, Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLFalconsFAN View Post
Yes! It doesn't last long, but those first few laps around Mt. Panorama in near total darkness are amazing.
Old 17 Jan 2016, 20:03 (Ref:3605701)   #340
FLGTFAN
Racer

United States
Naples, Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
Agreed. I need to start my "research" soon.

As for proper night racing, what is that? Only having lights in certain corners or very little lighting at all to make circuits more dangerous in the dark?
Proper just means the place isn't artificially lit for racing. It's not unsafe.
Old 17 Jan 2016, 20:14 (Ref:3605704)   #341
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Proper just means the place isn't artificially lit for racing. It's not unsafe.
Le mans, Sebring and Road Atlanta (amongst others) artificially light locations of the course. Is that proper? Why are these spots lit? Safety or viewing?

Too much is made of Daytona being lit.
Old 17 Jan 2016, 20:45 (Ref:3605709)   #342
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I don't know the actual number but I would say that Daytona only uses 1/4 of the lights available during the Rolex 24. You still get the sensations of night racing in person, but you can see everything that's happening too. It's just different.

As a fan, I want the corner lights at Sebring and Road Atlanta. I like to confirm what I'm watching as the cars briefly pass through the light. Also, it makes night trips to the port-o-johns much easier.
Old 17 Jan 2016, 20:59 (Ref:3605716)   #343
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Yes! It doesn't last long, but those first few laps around Mt. Panorama in near total darkness are amazing.

So true and the TV pictures don't show truly how dark it is for those first few laps, it doesn't last long but it's really something to enjoy.
Old 17 Jan 2016, 21:25 (Ref:3605724)   #344
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
I don't know the actual number but I would say that Daytona only uses 1/4 of the lights available during the Rolex 24. You still get the sensations of night racing in person, but you can see everything that's happening too. It's just different.

As a fan, I want the corner lights at Sebring and Road Atlanta. I like to confirm what I'm watching as the cars briefly pass through the light. Also, it makes night trips to the port-o-johns much easier.
Ha! Stumbling to the Port-a-lits is difficult at times and we need all the assistance we can get!

I thought it was half at Daytona but I think you're correct. And to your point, the Rolex 24 is just different than all others, which is certainly one of the appeals for me.
Old 17 Jan 2016, 21:39 (Ref:3605728)   #345
Pontlieue
Racer

Pontlieue should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPontlieue should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
At Daytona, I like the lights. Over half of the race takes place during the night, and with the lights, it's easier to keep up with what's happening on track.

Don't get me wrong, I like the atmosphere of proper night racing, and I definitely don't want all circuits to become like Daytona. But for Daytona, it's fitting.
Old 17 Jan 2016, 22:36 (Ref:3605741)   #346
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontlieue View Post
At Daytona, I like the lights. Over half of the race takes place during the night, and with the lights, it's easier to keep up with what's happening on track.

Don't get me wrong, I like the atmosphere of proper night racing, and I definitely don't want all circuits to become like Daytona. But for Daytona, it's fitting.
Agreed. Especially for TV viewing, you can see something more than headlights and taillights with the occasional exhaust flash while still getting the glowing brake rotors and sparks that you get with night time racing.
Old 17 Jan 2016, 23:07 (Ref:3605754)   #347
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!
Must say, as a trackside spectator, I much prefer the N24 and Spa 24 to Le Mans when it comes to spectating for exactly that reason; when you're out around the back/top of the circuit in the early hours everything is done by headlights and it really allows you to appreciate what the drivers are doing. The only way to still get that at Le Mans is to go 'off piste' a little bit. It's the same as night stages in rallying; they always light up spectator zones but it doesn't quite capture it properly unless you find a more remote section without the lighting.

The lights sort of work for Daytona, seeing as there's something 'stadium-esque' about it as a venue, although it would be nice to have a section or two without them. I've been to Road Atlanta too, and I don't remember the lights being too intrusive down the back section of the circuit, but there was certainly a bit too much for my liking in certain parts of the lap.
Old 18 Jan 2016, 00:49 (Ref:3605777)   #348
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Good points, RD. There's something appealing about both sides of the spectrum, imo.
Old 18 Jan 2016, 03:01 (Ref:3605790)   #349
Lanky Turtle
Veteran

Lanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Night at Daytona still feels like night to me. The air is cool, the sky is black and when you head to the infield kink, the cars seem to be passing by at double speed.
Old 18 Jan 2016, 09:41 (Ref:3605853)   #350
BudLightJaguar
Veteran

Finland
BudLightJaguar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBudLightJaguar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Seeing a night race at Zandvoort Circuit was pretty interesting because of the lack of lightning. Only the pit lane straight and marshalling posts were lit, so on the dunes the only way to recognize cars was the sound.