Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 25 Apr 2019, 20:34 (Ref:3899637)   #326
thetool
Veteran

thetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by sceptic View Post
But even those countries can't count TCR as a success: Australia has 16 entries for this year, though only 7 of them actually have a confirmed driver.

Germany is doing slightly better with 19, but still a long way from a full grid.
Why do touring cars when you can race a GT3 Ferrari or Porsche for similar money, and thanks to the pro-am format, even be in contention for victories?
Old 26 Apr 2019, 07:41 (Ref:3899714)   #327
Alessio
Racer

Italy
London
Alessio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetool View Post
Why do touring cars when you can race a GT3 Ferrari or Porsche for similar money, and thanks to the pro-am format, even be in contention for victories?
Exposure I guess. In Britain, Italy and Germany at least, I reckon touring car racing has a greater following, plus you're the only driver compared to GT/endurance where you're sharing with at least one other driver. In a way, touring cars can be a form of a 'feeder series' to GT racing.

If you take Nicola Baldan in Italy as an example, his career stalled briefly before he returned in TCR Italy where he proved himself very well, ultimately earning himself consistent funding and a seat in the Italian GT championship. There are plenty of young drivers too, ie Giacomo Altoe, that have gone onto GT racing via TCR too.

Touring cars is also its own 'genre' of motorsport. If you do well in national/regional TCR, you could go on to race on the same grid as Tarquini, Muller, Priaulx etc. who were made legends by touring car racing..
Old 26 Apr 2019, 08:24 (Ref:3899724)   #328
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetool View Post
Case in point; Jens Reno Møller. Uncompetitive in TCR Europe. Swaps his Civic TCR for an NSX GT3, and wins a Blancpain Gentleman's cup race straight up.
Old 26 Apr 2019, 09:35 (Ref:3899736)   #329
btccbloke
Veteran

Wales
btccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbtccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by touring fan01 View Post
if you spent hundreds of thousand of pounds of your own money buying a car and parts and equipment for a standalone hyped championship that promised the world but was effectively canned after just one year then you think thats something that shouldnt be complained about!!

its totally disgusting that tcruk did this and amazing that some people on here think thats ok.

Sorry i must have missed the story where Dave Bartrum had a gun to his head while people were demanding he bought the Golfs.
If they hadnt researched what they were buying into prior to buying cars thats not really the series problem, besides they havent been lumbered with the cars, they can be shipped to any other TCR series
Old 26 Apr 2019, 11:29 (Ref:3899759)   #330
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Motorbase had no problem selling their Golf. A quick look at cars for sale will tell you that TCR cars hold their value pretty well. I'm not saying they didn't lose some money in the process, but it's not as if they had to write of the entire cost.
Old 26 Apr 2019, 11:54 (Ref:3899768)   #331
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User is flirting with disqualificationpeebee2 User is flirting with disqualification
Exactly, a reason why they are popular. Whereas series that run unique regs, like BTCC etc. have little used value in comparison.
Old 26 Apr 2019, 12:02 (Ref:3899772)   #332
Alessio
Racer

Italy
London
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
Motorbase had no problem selling their Golf. A quick look at cars for sale will tell you that TCR cars hold their value pretty well. I'm not saying they didn't lose some money in the process, but it's not as if they had to write of the entire cost.
There's no reason they shouldn't unless it's been significantly crash damaged at some point in its life. I've seen them sold in second hand running order for as low as £40,000 though.
Old 26 Apr 2019, 14:52 (Ref:3899805)   #333
btccbloke
Veteran

Wales
btccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbtccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
All these people wanting to shed a tear for motorbase spending money on cars then not racing in the series because it wasnt financially viable really need to get a bit of a grip.
The decision any team will have taken to go racing will have been a calculated business one, not done one a whim, they will have bought in cars that they knew they would shift on if they couldn't make a go of it as they wanted. Motorbase have sold their car, others have sold cars on and because its a recognised formula worldwide, there is a decent market for the cars, others have kept theirs because TCT/TCR UK meets what they want to do at the moment.

I dont agree with some of the original marketing by TCR UK but its being run differently and sometimes you have to give these things a chance.

How about embracing the fact you now have a couple of different series you can be interested in (as cars drivers you know from the beloved BTCC may feature) rather than moan about the fact you have too much motorsport going on
Old 27 Apr 2019, 07:30 (Ref:3899920)   #334
Alessio
Racer

Italy
London
I think it's mostly just frustration that a very good concept was handled so poorly
Old 27 Apr 2019, 09:26 (Ref:3899928)   #335
Rob877
Racer

Rob877 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob877 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by btccbloke View Post
How about embracing the fact you now have a couple of different series you can be interested in (as cars drivers you know from the beloved BTCC may feature) rather than moan about the fact you have too much motorsport going on
Sorry, but I can't agree with that at all. Too much motorsport going on is one of the biggest issues within the sport for me. We could have an amazing product if vested interests were put to one side and everyone did what was best for the sport as a whole. Having small grids of cars racing spaced out around a large circuit is not going to appeal to anyone but the most ardent of fans. I see this in all forms of motorsport, even short oval racing (autograss aside) has these issues of a fragmented sport who should really be sticking together. Motorsport faces enough issues in the future, fighting amongst each other is only going to speed up the inevitable.

Also, TCR is a great concept but I think no matter how well it was handled, it was going to be an uphill struggle to gain a foothold in the UK market.
Old 27 Apr 2019, 10:43 (Ref:3899945)   #336
medius
Veteran

England
Media Office hiding from the rain
medius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmedius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Four TCR cars at Silverstone today running in the Dunlop Endurance Championship, one being the Ex-Motorbase Golf ran by Maximum for Tim Docker. I'm sure we'll see him out this year in TCRUK too.
Old 27 Apr 2019, 14:25 (Ref:3900007)   #337
btccbloke
Veteran

Wales
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob877 View Post
Sorry, but I can't agree with that at all. Too much motorsport going on is one of the biggest issues within the sport for me. We could have an amazing product if vested interests were put to one side and everyone did what was best for the sport as a whole. Having small grids of cars racing spaced out around a large circuit is not going to appeal to anyone but the most ardent of fans. I see this in all forms of motorsport, even short oval racing (autograss aside) has these issues of a fragmented sport who should really be sticking together. Motorsport faces enough issues in the future, fighting amongst each other is only going to speed up the inevitable.

Also, TCR is a great concept but I think no matter how well it was handled, it was going to be an uphill struggle to gain a foothold in the UK market.
ahh so you want it to be elitist rather than something people can get involved in?
Old 27 Apr 2019, 15:13 (Ref:3900019)   #338
Rob877
Racer

Rob877 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob877 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by btccbloke View Post
ahh so you want it to be elitist rather than something people can get involved in?
Where did I say that? Motorsport could be streamlined (resulting in an all round stronger product) without just having 'elitist' series. Most of the motorsport I attend in a year is stock car racing, about as anti elitist as you can get.

All I'm getting at is that there are too many series essentially doing similar things, which I think is madness. And to bring it back round to the actual topic, this is why I think TCR was destined for failure no matter who ran it (unless BTCC adopted the formula).
Old 28 Apr 2019, 20:50 (Ref:3900341)   #339
pescaraproductions
Rookie

pescaraproductions should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
To be fair at least the managed to get through a season. They got further than SCV8, T1 and BTEC
Would love a thread on failed UK championships and what details can be found on them. They tend to disappear into the void very fast. Had a fascinating chat with a guy involved with the Atom Cup on how that series went under in a very weird fashion.
Old 28 Apr 2019, 21:24 (Ref:3900348)   #340
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pescaraproductions View Post
Would love a thread on failed UK championships and what details can be found on them. They tend to disappear into the void very fast. Had a fascinating chat with a guy involved with the Atom Cup on how that series went under in a very weird fashion.
There's been a few articles on Autosport about that in the past
Old 28 Apr 2019, 21:29 (Ref:3900352)   #341
pescaraproductions
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
There's been a few articles on Autosport about that in the past
Autosport covering club racing!? Surely not I've got list of them somewhere, tempted to turn it into a little YouTube series.
Old 29 Apr 2019, 13:12 (Ref:3900475)   #342
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Let us know when you have uploaded it, it sounds interesting
Old 29 Apr 2019, 13:35 (Ref:3900479)   #343
Racing Harz
Veteran

Germany
Herzberg am Harz
Racing Harz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRacing Harz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
Case in point; Jens Reno Møller. Uncompetitive in TCR Europe. Swaps his Civic TCR for an NSX GT3, and wins a Blancpain Gentleman's cup race straight up.
The pilots in the Blancpain GT Sports Club a really uncompetitive in the normal Blancpain Field and are normaly on the positions 45+ then they race there.
Old 30 Apr 2019, 20:43 (Ref:3900817)   #344
S griffin
Veteran

Well they want a place for the amateurs and I think there is no harm in having them
Old 1 May 2019, 17:23 (Ref:3901048)   #345
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
I don't see a problem, just don't make it more important than it is.
Old 1 May 2019, 23:33 (Ref:3901098)   #346
pescaraproductions
Rookie

James Turkington is now entered, apparently in an ex Supercopa Seat Cup car. Soooooo not sure what class that's in but apparently Ciceley are running it, and he's not in the second Golf. Which much like a lot of last years cars, is sitting there being talked about but with zero drivers confirmed to be driving it yet
Old 2 May 2019, 09:36 (Ref:3901156)   #347
S griffin
Veteran

Well good to see Colin's brother in it, the SEAT should be a good car. What class though? Nice to see Cicely help out. I just wish more teams will get their cars out
Old 2 May 2019, 10:08 (Ref:3901165)   #348
Johno.UK
Racer

Johno.UK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It would have to be in the TCT class rather than TCR class surely as it's not a TCR car?
Old 2 May 2019, 10:53 (Ref:3901198)   #349
S griffin
Veteran

Well surely that would be the case. I wish there was more info about this
Old 2 May 2019, 10:58 (Ref:3901203)   #350
Petoli
Racer

United Kingdom
Petoli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So Turkington will most likely be racing in a class specifically for a class for Seat Leon Cup Cars. TCT being made up of 4 classes. NGTC,TCR,S2000 and Seat Leons. All classes eligible for the overall TCT championship. As well as their own individual classes. So the TCR class winner will be the TCRUK winner. At least thata how i understand it. Some clarification would be nice though