Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 28 Mar 2015, 14:56 (Ref:3521018)   #3526
Babapapa
Racer

Germany
Gelsenkirchen
Babapapa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBabapapa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Indeed there was a glider airfield in the thirtys of last century.

What do you think about the second fence there? Potentially death trap?
https://twitter.com/Baba_papa/status/581823744454336512
Old 28 Mar 2015, 15:02 (Ref:3521023)   #3527
cokata
Veteran

cokata should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
R.I.P.

Horrible news. I wouldn't want to be in Jann's position right now. This could have a very negative effect impact on him. Extremely sad that this things still happen.
Old 28 Mar 2015, 15:08 (Ref:3521024)   #3528
airbusA346
Veteran

England
Staffordshire, UK
airbusA346 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridairbusA346 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hopefully there is no knee-jerk reaction to this. I've already read someone suggesting they should ban GT3 cars from the Nürburgring.
Old 28 Mar 2015, 15:11 (Ref:3521027)   #3529
Salamus
Veteran

Canada
Ontario
Salamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Terrible news

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babapapa View Post
What's the point of the second fence if people can sit in front of it?
Old 28 Mar 2015, 15:12 (Ref:3521028)   #3530
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Just terribly sad news. RIP.

One of the things most beloved about the Nordschleife is that it is "old school" in the extreme, and danger is definitely one of the consequences but it is still simply tragic when someone out for a Saturday watching cars race loses their life. Hoping for the best for all those injured and undergoing treatment.

No time for knee-jerks, for sure, but I think Nissan will need to have a good long think about their VLN program with the GT-R right now.
Old 28 Mar 2015, 15:13 (Ref:3521029)   #3531
nasdriv87
Veteran

Brazil
Brazil
nasdriv87 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by airbusA346 View Post
Hopefully there is no knee-jerk reaction to this. I've already read someone suggesting they should ban GT3 cars from the Nürburgring.
Which I hope not!!!
Old 28 Mar 2015, 15:14 (Ref:3521031)   #3532
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babapapa View Post
I assume it's there to catch smaller pieces of debris hence the lower height. Honestly though, I wasn't a fan when I first saw people being allowed between them.

Restrictions on viewing at Flugplatz seems like the sensible option, but there are other factors at work here which could see more dramatic changes.
Old 28 Mar 2015, 15:15 (Ref:3521032)   #3533
Babapapa
Racer

Germany
Gelsenkirchen
Babapapa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBabapapa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Laptimes under 8 Minutes are definitifly too quick for the Nordschleife. VLN was a mass sport, before the GT3 came.
That made the series more popular and spectacular, but on the other hand small private teams didn't join the series anymore.

Now that big crash happend many people forecasted and the new FIA-fence didn't help enough. And now? Only sorrow, but the informations are collected. Yesterday we spoken here about such an accident related to the Glickenhaus-car.
Old 28 Mar 2015, 15:29 (Ref:3521050)   #3534
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!
Terrible news that will most likely have long-term implications.

Speeds have gotten quicker and quicker ever since the GT3 cars arrived and there have been many people who warned that the cars are too fast now. They've been proven right today, unfortunately.
Old 28 Mar 2015, 15:34 (Ref:3521054)   #3535
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
My heart goes out to the friends and family of the deceased. Horrible to see this kind of thing, it never gets easier.

It was an unusual crash in the extreme. You cant legislate for every kind of accident, especially on an old-school circuit like the Nordschliefe. In this particular crash, you could say that having the barrier closer to the track would have been better, but then it would be worse for other kind of accidents.

Its not the first time cars have gone over the fences. Ive seen first hand a suspension part + wheel vault over the Paddock Hill fence and into the paddock area, not a whole car granted, but if it had hit someone, then severe injury would have certainly occurred.

I too hope there is no knee jerk reaction to this incident, as painful as it is to witness death in our sport.
Old 28 Mar 2015, 15:44 (Ref:3521059)   #3536
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger Davies View Post
Steve, please could you remove that link? Personally, I don't think it belongs here.
No one is forcing anyone to view it though? Also, it's not graphic - it only shows in what manner the car got airborne and left the track in this terrible accident.
Old 28 Mar 2015, 15:56 (Ref:3521071)   #3537
jee
Rookie

Denmark
jee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salamus View Post
Terrible news

What's the point of the second fence if people can sit in front of it?

It. is not allowed to be there though...
Old 28 Mar 2015, 15:58 (Ref:3521073)   #3538
airbusA346
Veteran

England
Staffordshire, UK
airbusA346 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridairbusA346 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jee View Post
It. is not allowed to be there though...
But if no one stops them...
Old 28 Mar 2015, 16:16 (Ref:3521080)   #3539
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Very sad news today, always unfortunate when a life is lost.

Is there a list of times from qualifying anywhere?
Old 28 Mar 2015, 16:17 (Ref:3521082)   #3540
Babapapa
Racer

Germany
Gelsenkirchen
here the livetiming until the red flag:
http://46.38.226.72/vln/IDM.HTML

and the practice-results:
http://vln.de/ergebnisse/2015-03-28t.html
Old 28 Mar 2015, 16:21 (Ref:3521084)   #3541
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I've removed the link to the footage, as has been said it's plainly out there if anyone wants to Youtube / Google it.

It was removed as we do have a long standing policy:

http://tentenths.com/forum/faq.php?f..._rules_content
Post to links containing footage of fatal accidents will be removed, poster will be subject to warnings and possibly a ban. While we appreciate that this type of footage is freely available on the web, Ten-Tenths will not participate in the promoting and glorification of these types of clips. This is a Motorsport forum. Every time someone dies, we lose a member of our extended family and we have a zero tolerance policy for using death as a form of entertainment. It is understood that sometimes clips of this nature can and must be used for the purposes of safety and training - but a clip that is being used for this purpose will not be posted on YouTube. Please show some empathy and consideration for the friends, family and colleagues of those who have died - and for those who had to deal with the incident - and do not post these links on the public forum.
Many people on this forum, myself included, have had to deal with fatalities in motorsport, both through the loss of friends but also having to deal with the "aftermath" of fatal incidents in our capacities as officials and marshals.

In this case no points or warnings will be issued, I'd just like to point people at the above, it's a statement of Tenths policy and how we've strived to run the site.

I hope you can appreciate the reasons why the link was removed.

If anyone has any comments around this policy then please feel free to PM me rather than posting anything more about "why was the link removed etc." in this thread.
Old 28 Mar 2015, 16:30 (Ref:3521090)   #3542
Lagunaseca_4life
Veteran

United States
Central Valley CA
Lagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What horrible sad news

RIP Fellow spectator

And let's all stay safe and make sensible choices of where to watch from track side.

Safe wishes to all for our next trips to the race track.....
Old 28 Mar 2015, 16:58 (Ref:3521101)   #3543
FstrthnU
Veteran

United States
FstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Terrible news, I pray that the injured spectators and Mardenborough will make it out okay, and RIP for that poor soul

There will always be a risk racing at older tracks like the Nurburgring, but I'm confident that the track organizers will find a way to prevent these takeoff incidents that's reasonable to both drivers and viewers.
Old 28 Mar 2015, 17:59 (Ref:3521121)   #3544
Miguel
Veteran

Netherlands
GLD
Miguel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMiguel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Don't know if this has been mentioned before, don't feel like reading back. For what it's worth, and don't take it as any possible cause for the crash, but just for what it is: The wind at the Ring today was pretty strong, and coming from the direction in which cars travel when they arrive at Flugplatz. Also, remember this was the 2015 spec GT-R. I don't know if it has done any races before today, I couldn't think of any. Last year an SLS AMG GT3 cleared the guardrail at the same spot when it was launched by the tire barrier. No finger-pointing, just telling it like it is.
Old 28 Mar 2015, 18:38 (Ref:3521136)   #3545
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
Manfred Winkelhock had an almost identical accident at the same corner in about 1980 or maybe 1981.
Old 28 Mar 2015, 19:42 (Ref:3521149)   #3546
Babapapa
Racer

Germany
Gelsenkirchen
Indeed Nissan got similar problems there @ Flugplatz last year, when the Schulze-car get airbourne in practice of the 24h-race.

Hopefully to post that link is OK. Saw these pictures the first time today.

https://twitter.com/AMD87TS/status/581844519282479104
Old 28 Mar 2015, 19:55 (Ref:3521152)   #3547
airbusA346
Veteran

England
Staffordshire, UK
There is another video on YouTube, watching cars at Flugplatz, looking towards the cars. It shows the car taking off and coming past, but not the impact with the barrier.
Old 28 Mar 2015, 19:59 (Ref:3521154)   #3548
Reload
Veteran

Australia
Reload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridReload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Thoughts and prayers go to family and friends of the deceased and I hope that Jann is not beating himself up about it.
Old 28 Mar 2015, 20:10 (Ref:3521157)   #3549
Napolis
Veteran

Napolis is going for a new lap record!Napolis is going for a new lap record!Napolis is going for a new lap record!Napolis is going for a new lap record!Napolis is going for a new lap record!Napolis is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by airbusA346 View Post
The SCG 003 is having a slight aero issue...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5ZT2KFYY2U
This was during practice which is what practice is for. This was our first NS session ever with SCG 003C.. We were running slowly to see what we needed to do. We specifically told our drivers to approach the jumps slowly which they did. Once we saw what we needed to do we adjusted aero and car was very good and stable. We raced today without any issues and were running 6th when we were black flagged for being too loud.

Our thoughts and prayers are with everyone.
Old 28 Mar 2015, 20:52 (Ref:3521168)   #3550
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Wow I'm incredibly saddened to hear of the passing of the spectator and I pray the injured pull through. Thoughts are also with Jan Mardenbrough, he seems not to be physically hurt but who knows what's going through his head at the moment.

I too would not like see knee jerk reactions, hopefully the organisers make the right decisions in response to this tragedy.

I can certainly see Nissan pulling out of the rest of VLN and the 24 especially as there has been a fatality.