Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 13 Jan 2016, 18:45 (Ref:3604457)   #3576
kvenom
Veteran

kvenom should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkvenom should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Obligatory cryptic response that the test went "well" according to Toyota.

Buemi, Sarrazin and Conway were there.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/122472
Old 13 Jan 2016, 19:10 (Ref:3604470)   #3577
YorkshireLad
Veteran

United Kingdom
skipton, north yorkshire
YorkshireLad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mentioned v4 configure in that article.
Old 13 Jan 2016, 19:20 (Ref:3604475)   #3578
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The only way it wouldn't have been reported as 'well' probably would have been if it had got airborne like 908 at Aragon, burst into flames like R18 at Sebring, or had destroyed chassis like TS030 at Ricard.
Old 13 Jan 2016, 19:35 (Ref:3604478)   #3579
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
The only way it wouldn't have been reported as 'well' probably would have been if it had got airborne like 908 at Aragon, burst into flames like R18 at Sebring, or had destroyed chassis like TS030 at Ricard.
The statement could still have been salvaged in this case - they could have said it was well done.
Old 13 Jan 2016, 19:42 (Ref:3604483)   #3580
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Jay View Post
The statement could still have been salvaged in this case - they could have said it was well done.
You joker
Old 13 Jan 2016, 20:23 (Ref:3604499)   #3581
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorkshireLad View Post
Mentioned v4 configure in that article.
So a 1.85l V4 for each car and a blunt hacksaw?
Old 14 Jan 2016, 00:00 (Ref:3604566)   #3582
PascaLM
Race Official
Veteran

France
Near Blois, France
PascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
According to Endurance-Info, the Toyota TS050 will be presented at Paul Ricard on the 24th of March, 11am loc in Prologue FIA WEC.
The drivers will be officially revealed next February 4th.
Old 14 Jan 2016, 00:47 (Ref:3604576)   #3583
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
The test is supposed to go to the 14th. So maybe the roll-out of the car is what they mean by "went well". V4 mentioned again, wonder if there's truth to this or if autosport are just using the flavor of the month rumor?
Old 14 Jan 2016, 07:51 (Ref:3604624)   #3584
cokata
Veteran

cokata should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If they are going for a low displacement non-V8 config, i hope it's V4 and not V6.
Old 14 Jan 2016, 08:40 (Ref:3604631)   #3585
Japanese Samurai
Veteran

Japan
Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!
Japanese Autosport web says that Super GT driver Ryo Hirakawa is visiting Europe. He might join in the TS050 testing.
http://as-web.jp/news/info.php?c_id=2&no=70501
Old 14 Jan 2016, 10:23 (Ref:3604660)   #3586
YorkshireLad
Veteran

United Kingdom
skipton, north yorkshire
Toyota LMP1 Discussion

What's better a high capacity v4 or a smaller one?

Last edited by YorkshireLad; 14 Jan 2016 at 10:35.
Old 14 Jan 2016, 10:39 (Ref:3604665)   #3587
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
What is the chances of a Flat four engine like the GT-86!?
Old 14 Jan 2016, 12:05 (Ref:3604695)   #3588
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Probably none for the same reason why Porsche ditched the boxer 6 in racing--cylinder heads would encroach on the diffuser tunnels.

Also seems that there's little benefit to running boxer engines in prototypes because of that packaging issue and they can't be stress mounted.
Old 14 Jan 2016, 21:12 (Ref:3604852)   #3589
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
If it's even a 4 cylinder. So far it's just a rumor. If it is a V4, I hope people don't jump on the "copied Porsche" bandwagon . Is Porsche a single turbo?
Old 14 Jan 2016, 22:33 (Ref:3604875)   #3590
godlameroso
Racer

godlameroso should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgodlameroso should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
Probably none for the same reason why Porsche ditched the boxer 6 in racing--cylinder heads would encroach on the diffuser tunnels.

Also seems that there's little benefit to running boxer engines in prototypes because of that packaging issue and they can't be stress mounted.
The Audi uses a very wide angle V, I think 130 degrees IIRC.
Old 14 Jan 2016, 23:32 (Ref:3604890)   #3591
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by godlameroso View Post
The Audi uses a very wide angle V, I think 130 degrees IIRC.
I am not an engine designer, but I think the issues here are...

Flat (180 deg V) or boxer engine
* Pro: Can be nicely balanced
* Pro: Low center of gravity
* Con: Routing of exhaust (typically exhaust) from bottom side of head. Sometimes this impacts crank height and CG.
* Con: Width of engine can impact aero and packaging
* Con: Not a great starting point for using engine as a structural member.

V engine (i.e. classic 90 deg)
* Pro: Compact (better for aero)
* Pro: Less issues with routing out of bottom of head
* Pro: Easier to implement as structural member
* Con: Taller (CG issues)

I think Audi is just trying to find the middle ground that allows a lower CG, can still be a structural member, but not such a wide V that it causes problems with placing the crank as low as you would like. Personally I think the "main" reason nobody uses 180V/flat engines is exhaust routing and crank height issues. Difficulty of making it light and stiff (structural member) is probably a close second. That is why you are not going to see that type of "purpose built" engine in a race car these days (IMHO). GT cars is a different story.

Richard
Old 15 Jan 2016, 01:15 (Ref:3604906)   #3592
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Even then, there's some issue concerning aero packaging. It's not like it was in the LMP900/675 days of where the rear diffuser starts at the rear wheel centerline. The tunnels on the current rear diffusers start almost at the rear of the tubs of most of the cars. That's definitely a huge packaging issue if the cylinder heads protrude into the diffuser tunnel space.
Old 17 Jan 2016, 19:09 (Ref:3605686)   #3593
godlameroso
Racer

godlameroso should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgodlameroso should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think they'd use a V4, if they do use a 4 cylinder it will likely be in line, so I'm guessing it's going to be a V6 between 2.8 and 2.4 liters.
Old 17 Jan 2016, 19:14 (Ref:3605688)   #3594
YorkshireLad
Veteran

United Kingdom
skipton, north yorkshire
Does anyone have any figures on how the nissans 3L v6 turbo did at LM? Was it efficient enough to be on par with the other teams engines, as I also think Toyota will be a v6
Old 17 Jan 2016, 22:20 (Ref:3605738)   #3595
TF110
Veteran

United States
I think they had to run it conservatively? No help from the hybrid so it never reached it's potential.
Old 18 Jan 2016, 08:25 (Ref:3605826)   #3596
GasperG
Veteran

Slovenia
GasperG has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I think it's meaningless to assume any similarity with Nissan engine even if it is the same displacement V6.
Old 18 Jan 2016, 09:34 (Ref:3605848)   #3597
cokata
Veteran

cokata should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nissan's engine was not made by them iirc? It wasn't that great since the rebellion matched it for top speed while having much more downforce.
Old 18 Jan 2016, 09:42 (Ref:3605854)   #3598
YorkshireLad
Veteran

United Kingdom
skipton, north yorkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by GasperG View Post
I think it's meaningless to assume any similarity with Nissan engine even if it is the same displacement V6.

it's also meaningless to assume that this will be similar to the Porsches V4 then. I just wanted to know if anyone had noticed how the Nissan engine had 'roughly' faired in terms of fuel economy, etc.
Old 18 Jan 2016, 10:51 (Ref:3605881)   #3599
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The Audi V6 is a wide angle design (more likely 120 deg than 130, I would have thought), with the exhaust ports and the turbo inside the V. Very neat packaging.
Old 18 Jan 2016, 13:08 (Ref:3605925)   #3600
Matra-simca
Rookie

United States
Durham, NC
Matra-simca should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatra-simca should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
I am not an engine designer, but I think the issues here are...

Flat (180 deg V) or boxer engine
* Pro: Can be nicely balanced
* Pro: Low center of gravity
* Con: Routing of exhaust (typically exhaust) from bottom side of head. Sometimes this impacts crank height and CG.
* Con: Width of engine can impact aero and packaging
* Con: Not a great starting point for using engine as a structural member.

V engine (i.e. classic 90 deg)
* Pro: Compact (better for aero)
* Pro: Less issues with routing out of bottom of head
* Pro: Easier to implement as structural member
* Con: Taller (CG issues)

I think Audi is just trying to find the middle ground that allows a lower CG, can still be a structural member, but not such a wide V that it causes problems with placing the crank as low as you would like. Personally I think the "main" reason nobody uses 180V/flat engines is exhaust routing and crank height issues. Difficulty of making it light and stiff (structural member) is probably a close second. That is why you are not going to see that type of "purpose built" engine in a race car these days (IMHO). GT cars is a different story.

Richard
Perhaps the biggest Con, at least from my perspective, is that the V 4 engine won't sound all that great, especially relative to their former aurally pleasing V8..

Todd