Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 5 Feb 2016, 01:37 (Ref:3611746)   #3601
Rcz
Veteran

United States
Rcz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah, that's the trick isn't it. The Chassis never gets credit in the eyes of the causal fans, but engine manufacturers almost always do. Does Audi get credit for winning the 24hour of Le Mans or does Dallara?

It's the reason why IMSA wants to go in the direction of the engine manufacturers in P2.
Old 5 Feb 2016, 02:14 (Ref:3611751)   #3602
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
FormulaFox is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcz View Post
Does Audi get credit for winning the 24hour of Le Mans or does Dallara?
That one's been a non-issue for a while now - Dallara only builds the tub now.
Old 5 Feb 2016, 02:33 (Ref:3611754)   #3603
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Actually Dallara doesn't build the tubs for Audi anymore, YCom has since 2014 unless they switched to someone else for the 2016 car.

However, since the design is done by Audi and they own the IP to their cars, it's called an Audi Rxx
Old 5 Feb 2016, 03:20 (Ref:3611759)   #3604
Rcz
Veteran

United States
Rcz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well that's not really the point I was making about what Audi uses to win. It was about who gets more credit for winning, engines or chassis
Old 10 Feb 2016, 15:19 (Ref:3613675)   #3605
godlameroso
Racer

godlameroso should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgodlameroso should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can we talk about what a beast of an engine HPD has made this year?
Old 10 Feb 2016, 15:42 (Ref:3613679)   #3606
wdave0
Veteran

United States
NY
wdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by godlameroso View Post
Can we talk about what a beast of an engine HPD has made this year?
I haven't noticed specific mention but I think it is an IMSA only engine and not for WEC/ELMS.
Old 10 Feb 2016, 15:42 (Ref:3613680)   #3607
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
It's a re-purposed DP engine.
Old 10 Feb 2016, 15:55 (Ref:3613681)   #3608
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It could've been WEC engine had ESM not dumped it for the Zytek-Nissan. And the others last year and before...
Old 10 Feb 2016, 16:08 (Ref:3613682)   #3609
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
They're both versions of the same Honda V6 engine, but the IMSA version doesn't conform to ACO regs, due to larger air restrictors and higher turbo boost, let alone that it's .3 of a liter over the 3.2 liter ACO limit.

But both are derived from the same engine.
Old 10 Feb 2016, 16:14 (Ref:3613684)   #3610
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!
ESM used the bigger 3.5L engine in their Rolex victory correct?
Old 10 Feb 2016, 16:47 (Ref:3613702)   #3611
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!
Thanks Chiana.

I'd figure OAK will replace the 3.5L engine for the 2.8L, ACO compliant, one for MSR to be used for LM (and possibly Spa) then?
Old 10 Feb 2016, 16:47 (Ref:3613703)   #3612
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
They're both versions of the same Honda V6 engine, but the IMSA version doesn't conform to ACO regs, due to larger air restrictors and higher turbo boost, let alone that it's .3 of a liter over the 3.2 liter ACO limit.

But both are derived from the same engine.
You're right, forgot the displacement limit was so low for the non-normally aspirated.

The restrictor and boost ratio of course could've always been modified though

They could've always switched back around to the old powerplant for WEC and kept the 3,5 for NA, assuming the change process wasn't substantial
Old 10 Feb 2016, 16:54 (Ref:3613707)   #3613
Deleted
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post
Thanks Chiana.

I'd figure OAK will replace the 3.5L engine for the 2.8L, ACO compliant, one for MSR to be used for LM (and possibly Spa) then?
Unless they get waiver (which they won't as this ain't LMGTE!) or there's some late revision to regulations that would be the logical conclusion

Maybe the switch is super easy
Old 10 Feb 2016, 17:02 (Ref:3613712)   #3614
Coach Ep
Veteran

Yeah, it's only a minor piece to the puzzle but with ESM switching to Nissan power for their LM/WEC effort and OAK racing running/supporting both entries (plus the Morand-Gonzalez and G56 ones at LM) it'll be interesting to see if Shank isn't already one strike down before we even got started!
Old 10 Feb 2016, 17:27 (Ref:3613720)   #3615
Deleted
Veteran

They are already half-strike down by not knowing anything about the regulations or way of things outside of Grand-Am... IMSA, even considering the guys visiting the track last year, and Oak assisting the operations. For them I don't think it's as much about results (though obviously all want to perform well) as it is for getting all out of the overall experience. Which is fine of course
Old 10 Feb 2016, 17:59 (Ref:3613733)   #3616
Coach Ep
Veteran

Which makes Spa a must-do event for them I would think.

How many more pockets does John Pew have in his wallet...?
Old 1 Mar 2016, 05:42 (Ref:3618924)   #3617
YZFrider
Racer

YZFrider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridYZFrider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I just checked the Pikes Peak website.

http://www.ppihc.com/wp-content/uplo...titor-List.pdf

HPD is entering two 2017 NSXs. One in the TA2 class (near stock) and one in the TA1 class (aero, engine, tire mod)
Old 2 Mar 2016, 05:38 (Ref:3619181)   #3618
AoB Special Stage
Veteran

Estonia
AoB Special Stage should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAoB Special Stage should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
that'll be fun
Old 8 Mar 2016, 16:46 (Ref:3621261)   #3619
Deleted
Veteran

Dagys speculating on the Acura branding return for LMP2 (I refuse to call it anything lame like "DPi") next year. I wonder if that will follow through globally too
http://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/at...-dpi-programs/

Meanwhile as said on another thread, MSR will test the ill fated 04 at Sebring next month. Too bad it won't likely lead to anything.
Old 8 Mar 2016, 17:02 (Ref:3621262)   #3620
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
It's not an LMP2 car though. It's a DPi.
Old 8 Mar 2016, 20:06 (Ref:3621300)   #3621
carbon_titanium
Veteran

carbon_titanium should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcarbon_titanium should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
Dagys speculating on the Acura branding return for LMP2 (I refuse to call it anything lame like "DPi") next year. I wonder if that will follow through globally too
http://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/at...-dpi-programs/

Meanwhile as said on another thread, MSR will test the ill fated 04 at Sebring next month. Too bad it won't likely lead to anything.
Actually, to speculate that 5 manufacturers are interested in DPi formula is quite too optimistic!
I think that HPD car just will be ligier + HPD 3.5 like this year, and realistically I expect only the cadillac DPi as replacement for the corvette DP.
Bentley is just getting a shy approach, don't know how much they are really interested. Mazda and Nissan is pure fictional for now; of course mazda team could easily keep on using the current "not so competitive" package; but as far I know nissan couldn't be able to use the cosworth V6 from the gt-r LM, not being street derivated.

To me it would be already a great result to see 3-4 cadillac DPi and 2-3 HDP DPi + some "european" lmp2
Old 8 Mar 2016, 23:13 (Ref:3621372)   #3622
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbon_titanium View Post
Actually, to speculate that 5 manufacturers are interested in DPi formula is quite too optimistic!
I think that HPD car just will be ligier + HPD 3.5 like this year, and realistically I expect only the cadillac DPi as replacement for the corvette DP.
Bentley is just getting a shy approach, don't know how much they are really interested. Mazda and Nissan is pure fictional for now; of course mazda team could easily keep on using the current "not so competitive" package; but as far I know nissan couldn't be able to use the cosworth V6 from the gt-r LM, not being street derivated.

To me it would be already a great result to see 3-4 cadillac DPi and 2-3 HDP DPi + some "european" lmp2
In order to run an engine other than the 'Nissan' spec engine in one of the 4 approved constructors chassis, it must be accompanied by the OEM's body panel/kit. So no OEM body = no engine to run.

Mazda is FAR from 'fictional'. As to the degree of their competitiveness, it seems apparent that someone did not take in the Daytona 24.

L.P.
Old 9 Mar 2016, 09:42 (Ref:3621483)   #3623
carbon_titanium
Veteran

carbon_titanium should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcarbon_titanium should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
actually very likely also 2017 gibson powered lmp2 and old DP3/lmp2 cars will be allowed to run in P class, at least surely for the first year. And afterall the same "OEM bodywork" concept is very vague...
if the corvette DP has a bodywork style that looks like the street corvette, the "ford OEM bodywork" for the riley ford ecoboost, is just a riley DP3 with different lights...

About mazda, well... let's say that mazda shown impressive performances... for a pair of hours they would be great if they were running in gt-open
Old 9 Mar 2016, 10:52 (Ref:3621498)   #3624
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
FormulaFox is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbon_titanium View Post
Actually, it's not. We KNOW 6 manufacturers are interested because they've stated such publicly: HPD, Chevy, Bentley, Alfa Romeo, Mazda, and Nissan. (I could swear there's more than that, but I cannot recall them at this time)

HOWEVER.... Interest does not mean a program will occur, and don't expect to see any other than Chevy in 2017. The rules package is not yet finalized, and any interested manufacturer will have to do an engine AND bodywork. This has proven extremely frustrating to the manufacturers(HPD particularly), and it is unlikely they will be able to have cars ready for 2017 - Chevy's the only one I would expect to be able to make it, and even that will be in doubt if the rules aren't finalized VERY soon. It's a very real possibility that we'll see a few grandfathered DPs and P2s and a handful of Gibson-powered new!P2s representing DPi in 2017.

2018 is when most interested manufacturers are likely to debut IF it goes beyond mere interest.

Last edited by FormulaFox; 9 Mar 2016 at 11:01.
Old 9 Mar 2016, 13:25 (Ref:3621554)   #3625
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
hondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridhondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaFox View Post
Actually, it's not. We KNOW 6 manufacturers are interested because they've stated such publicly: HPD, Chevy, Bentley, Alfa Romeo, Mazda, and Nissan. (I could swear there's more than that, but I cannot recall them at this time)

HOWEVER.... Interest does not mean a program will occur, and don't expect to see any other than Chevy in 2017. The rules package is not yet finalized, and any interested manufacturer will have to do an engine AND bodywork. This has proven extremely frustrating to the manufacturers(HPD particularly), and it is unlikely they will be able to have cars ready for 2017 - Chevy's the only one I would expect to be able to make it, and even that will be in doubt if the rules aren't finalized VERY soon. It's a very real possibility that we'll see a few grandfathered DPs and P2s and a handful of Gibson-powered new!P2s representing DPi in 2017.

2018 is when most interested manufacturers are likely to debut IF it goes beyond mere interest.
BMW could be in DPI in 2018 or later. Jens Marquardt said that to dailysportcar in october 2015.
Also he said: “We want to see how the whole package develops over here,” he said. “It’s not the hottest thing on our list right now, but we had a successful partnership with Steve Dinan before in DP, and it would depend on which type of engine would be permitted. This is something where we would need to learn more to understand the direction of the class as it goes ahead. As I said, it’s not really high on our list at the moment, but I would not rule it out completely.”
http://www.dailysportscar.com/2015/1...k-in-2016.html