Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 18 Dec 2012, 21:49 (Ref:3179905)   #3626
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Slow days before Xmas I guess ...

I think it's about time we had some pics of Iain's new workshop.

I have this mental image of one of those old 50s toy garages with a lift for taking cars up to the roof - or in this case perhaps the Mezzanine level.
Old 18 Dec 2012, 22:09 (Ref:3179912)   #3627
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Tutorial video - changing Toyota rear brake pads.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSjGWw-JD2U

Quality.
Old 18 Dec 2012, 22:14 (Ref:3179917)   #3628
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Alan Morgan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I think it's about time we had some pics of Iain's new workshop.
I wasn't able to get there last weekend but I'm definitely going next weekend - I'll take some pics.
Old 19 Dec 2012, 06:26 (Ref:3179992)   #3629
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Morgan View Post
I wasn't able to get there last weekend but I'm definitely going next weekend - I'll take some pics.
I've heard it's as big as the NEC but without a rail station and airport.

I'm expecting a really big scalextric layout on that mezzanine......

Old 19 Dec 2012, 07:46 (Ref:3180004)   #3630
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Has it got a big reception area with dolly birds ?
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 19 Dec 2012, 07:54 (Ref:3180005)   #3631
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
I'm sure- with a display of some famous Delta Motorsport cars on display as well.

Also heard a rumour that Costa and Starbucks are in a bidding war to put in a coffee and tea franchise......

Old 19 Dec 2012, 08:59 (Ref:3180021)   #3632
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes,Starbucks will be looking after the Tax Accounts for him.
Old 19 Dec 2012, 09:15 (Ref:3180022)   #3633
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
I'm impressed !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg delta.jpg (134.0 KB, 64 views)
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 19 Dec 2012, 09:39 (Ref:3180024)   #3634
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Starbucks must have sorted the tax already![Perhaps a bit of sponsorship as well]
Old 19 Dec 2012, 10:35 (Ref:3180035)   #3635
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Didn't you mean 'Has it got a big play area with dolly mixtures'
Old 19 Dec 2012, 12:44 (Ref:3180061)   #3636
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post

You know us too well, Joe......
Old 19 Dec 2012, 14:30 (Ref:3180086)   #3637
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
How childish (and disgusting)I'm being serious as always ! I'm off to Spain to get away from this waffle !
Old 19 Dec 2012, 15:02 (Ref:3180096)   #3638
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain

Wow just seen this in one of the "mags" he's certainly pushing to the forefront !
Old 19 Dec 2012, 16:56 (Ref:3180116)   #3639
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Has it got a reception area with big dolly birds ?
There, fixed that for you Gordon.
Old 19 Dec 2012, 17:23 (Ref:3180119)   #3640
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Tim, very few handbrakes have self adjusters and most have to be adjusted manually.
Also you don't normally have to take the interior to pieces to get at the cable adjuster although you can't always see them you can get at them with flexible drives once you know where they are .
Thinking about this and looking at the pics in the manual, might be able to work out more or less where the adjuster nut is. A couple of test hole though the trim should make access easy enough without having to resort taking screws out. Might be able to find a few old grommets somewhere to plug the holes, if not I'll just have to disguise them as something else.

Or maybe I could simply add an adjustment handle on a permanent basis and instructions for adjusting it when the H/B is weak.

Yesterday I was told that the thing may well be "OK" when the car is on the drive but a very short (1/2 mile or less) run into the village is enough for it to be useless on arrival at the destination.

Sound like quite a good system for a novice on a track day ...
Old 19 Dec 2012, 17:39 (Ref:3180120)   #3641
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Or maybe I could simply add an adjustment handle on a permanent basis and instructions for adjusting it when the H/B is weak.

In all fairness the cable adjuster shouldn't need to be adjusted that often, as I said you should adjust the shoes.
Old 19 Dec 2012, 17:58 (Ref:3180121)   #3642
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Wow just seen this in one of the "mags" he's certainly pushing to the forefront !
Sure I recognise those two from somewhere.
Old 19 Dec 2012, 18:26 (Ref:3180123)   #3643
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Tim, very few handbrakes have self adjusters and most have to be adjusted manually.
Also you don't normally have to take the interior to pieces to get at the cable adjuster although you can't always see them you can get at them with flexible drives once you know where they are .
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Thinking about this and looking at the pics in the manual, might be able to work out more or less where the adjuster nut is. A couple of test hole though the trim should make access easy enough without having to resort taking screws out. Might be able to find a few old grommets somewhere to plug the holes, if not I'll just have to disguise them as something else.

Yesterday I was told that the thing may well be "OK" when the car is on the drive but a very short (1/2 mile or less) run into the village is enough for it to be useless on arrival at the destination.

Sound like quite a good system for a novice on a track day ...
I'm not talking about adjusting the cable or lever, It's the adjuster in the drum which if it wont adjust the shoes automatically you stick a thin screwdriver through the inspection hole in the drum and move it round.

Gordon, I didn't mean the handbrake is self adjusting, the shoes should be self adjusting by pulling the handbrake on but like I said they generally don't work, I've only seen one that has ever worked.
Old 19 Dec 2012, 19:12 (Ref:3180129)   #3644
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
No Tim the handbrake shoes are not self adjusting. I have never seen self adjusters on any disc/drum assembly as they could adjust themselves permanently on and have manual adjusters.
I am talking about separate handbrake shoes inside of the disc so not to confuse the issue .
Old 19 Dec 2012, 19:22 (Ref:3180131)   #3645
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Sure I recognise those two from somewhere.
Mmm something in the back of my memory seems to remember seeing something like those back in the 60s
Old 19 Dec 2012, 20:24 (Ref:3180139)   #3646
Clive Brown
Veteran

England
North-west Kent
Clive Brown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I say chaps, this fellah's got lumps on his chest!
Old 19 Dec 2012, 20:28 (Ref:3180141)   #3647
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
No Tim the handbrake shoes are not self adjusting. I have never seen self adjusters on any disc/drum assembly as they could adjust themselves permanently on and have manual adjusters.
I am talking about separate handbrake shoes inside of the disc so not to confuse the issue .
Haven't seen any mention of self adjustment.

Management now tells me that the H/B sometimes does not work when cold either. In other words although I found it working well after 24 hours of no use that is not always the case no matter how firmly it has been applied.

Take your point about what might need adjusting Gordon but whether its at the drums is another matter. Only used for the H/B so what possible wear would there normally be to adjust? Only mechanical seizure of something in the hubbased components comes to mind.

The alternaticves would be cables stretching. Rear wheels seem to be prety much equally unbraked in HB mode so both sides fail equally?

H/B lever to balance bar is he other options and that one seems to run very close to the exhaust and, possibly, catalytic converter.

Haynes seems to suggest that when adjustment is necessary the wheel drums AND the H/Brake lever adjustments are required.

Checked tonight, the H/B lever adjustment is just not quite accessible, so far as I can tell, without removing plastrickery. Unless I eliminate a moulded plastic cup holderl
Old 19 Dec 2012, 22:34 (Ref:3180187)   #3648
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
As I have said the handbrake system on a disc braked car with small shoes inside are pretty dire on a lot of vehicles, the MOT stipulates 25% some of the Jap stuff especially some 4x4s have a hell of a job to be that good and will only just about pass when new !
For the life of me I can never work out why we need rear discs on "normal" family cars and the ones that work on the actual rear calipers unless pulled on very tight can easily let the car run away because the disc thickness gets smaller as it cools down, whereas a drum because of the coefficient of linear expansion gets smaller and grips the shoes even more.
I get a fair number of customers complaining of poor handbrakes especially women who probably can't pull them on as hard as "some" men.
However it seems pathetic that after all these years certain manufacturers seem incapable of designing something that is important.
Old 19 Dec 2012, 23:05 (Ref:3180193)   #3649
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive Brown View Post
I say chaps, this fellah's got lumps on his chest!
It could be a ladyboy ! I wonder if Iain's found out ?
Old 19 Dec 2012, 23:25 (Ref:3180196)   #3650
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
And people always laugh and have a go at me when I systematically always park my cars in gear, I try to explain that all thats stopping it moving off down a hill is a probably rusty cable and a couple of clevis pins I also ask them why do they think you cannot turn off the engin in most autos unless you put in park, essencially the same as leaving it in gear but still they dont agree. My Chevy Blazer is a manual and you have to dip the clutch before you can start it, those yank car manufacturers do have some sensible ideas!