Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 20 Dec 2012, 06:49 (Ref:3180292)   #3651
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman View Post
And people always laugh and have a go at me when I systematically always park my cars in gear
I wouldn't laugh at you for doing that Al! Especially in vehicle with rear discs.

Wasn't it Citroen aho a few years back had problems with one model where handbrakes were 'failing'? It worked on front wheels, and as Gordon says, when they cooled down the discs contracted...........

There was a time, when ABS was still becoming normal, manufacturers didn't fit it to cars with rear drums due to complication or expense with sensors. So discs were fitted when not strictly needed. Now ABS is on everything.

And as on most modern, small, fwd cars the rear wheels are just there to stop the arse dragging along the road, drums are perfectly adequate!

Anyway- back to Iain's new receptionist..........

Old 20 Dec 2012, 09:23 (Ref:3180334)   #3652
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
Mmm something in the back of my memory seems to remember seeing something like those back in the 60s
Weren't they a bit pointier back then? Or was that just the electric landlady ?
Old 20 Dec 2012, 09:30 (Ref:3180337)   #3653
compte deGraves
Veteran

France
Charente, France
compte deGraves should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcompte deGraves should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive Brown View Post
I say chaps, this fellah's got lumps on his chest!
That is where the seat belt has been rubbing.
Old 20 Dec 2012, 09:31 (Ref:3180339)   #3654
compte deGraves
Veteran

France
Charente, France
compte deGraves should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcompte deGraves should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
It could be a ladyboy ! I wonder if Iain's found out ?
Please don't start all that again. Iain still has not recovered from the last time.
Old 20 Dec 2012, 12:00 (Ref:3180385)   #3655
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
>>>>>>>>>Wasn't it Citroen aho a few years back had problems with one model where handbrakes were 'failing'? It worked on front wheels, and as Gordon says, when they cooled down the discs contracted...........

Been there, done that, got the T-Shirt! Parked outside the out-laws one day, when I got back to the car it was two houses downhill! Tried to walk nonchalantly back to it, pretending it was where I left it
Old 20 Dec 2012, 13:25 (Ref:3180403)   #3656
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
>>>>>>>>>Wasn't it Citroen aho a few years back had problems with one model where handbrakes were 'failing'? It worked on front wheels, and as Gordon says, when they cooled down the discs contracted...........

Been there, done that, got the T-Shirt! Parked outside the out-laws one day, when I got back to the car it was two houses downhill! Tried to walk nonchalantly back to it, pretending it was where I left it
Honda had some claims they coughed up on for the last generation Civic.

My eldest's fiancé leased a Type R about 3 and a bit years ago. A few weeks after he got it he parked on a hill for a few minutes and on return to the car it had rolled backwards, across the road and stopped against a gatepost or corner of a wall - can't recall which). Some damage to the rear bumper.

Turned outh the garage had not don the PDI which woould have include a h/b adjustment (and fitting a few bits of loosely delivered bodyword left off for transportation). Garage denied responsibility, Honda went out of their way to avoid coughing up (the car was on a Honda lease deal) so in the end they just negotiated on a price for the damage when the lease finished early and they took off for Aus for 2 years.

They are back early next year. I don't think he will be looking at a Honda again.
Old 20 Dec 2012, 19:40 (Ref:3180508)   #3657
LYNX
Veteran

England
Hampshire
LYNX should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive Brown View Post
I say chaps, this fellah's got lumps on his chest!
Try driving a Formula Junior rear engine car without moving your hands on the wheel IMPOSSIBLE! Cockpit too narrow to accommodate everything.
Old 21 Dec 2012, 14:55 (Ref:3180815)   #3658
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post

My old 164 did that a year or so ago...of course I "always" park in gear, apart from this time when I didn't.......a passing police sergeant saw the car rolling down the hill, and stopped it by putting the rear of his Police Volve Estate in front of it....not a scratch on the Volvo, his towbar punched a hole in the 164s bumper - and the bumper was pulled off when he pulled the Volvo forward......Copper said he was fine, but his colleagues were insisting that he "get checked out" and of course the barsteward later claimed for (presumably) whiplash injuries, costing my insurance company over ÂŁ4K, and me about ÂŁ800 or so in lost NCB (Trade policy) - and more this year of course as my NCB is still battered....

Not that I'm bitter and twisted or anything
Old 21 Dec 2012, 15:06 (Ref:3180816)   #3659
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'm surprised the 164 didn't disintegrate on impact.
Old 21 Dec 2012, 15:13 (Ref:3180818)   #3660
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Old Bill are getting an increasingly bad reputation in this country, WTF is going on, they have been taking bungs from Newspapers, then this Plebgate fiasco which is far from over now you are saying false whiplash claims when doing the job they are paid to do, I am rapidly loosing faith in them not that I had much when falsely arrested in my yoof for loitering complete with a smack in the face from some 20 stone bully of a copper, I was only about 14 or 15 ffs.
Old 21 Dec 2012, 15:29 (Ref:3180822)   #3661
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
I am rapidly loosing faith in them not that I had much when falsely arrested in my yoof for loitering complete with a smack in the face from some 20 stone bully of a copper, I was only about 14 or 15 ffs.
You was probably looking at him in a funny way Al !!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BO8EpfyCG2Y
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 21 Dec 2012, 15:34 (Ref:3180823)   #3662
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Old Bill are getting an increasingly bad reputation in this country, WTF is going on, they have been taking bungs from Newspapers, then this Plebgate fiasco which is far from over now you are saying false whiplash claims when doing the job they are paid to do, I am rapidly loosing faith in them not that I had much when falsely arrested in my yoof for loitering complete with a smack in the face from some 20 stone bully of a copper, I was only about 14 or 15 ffs.

Perhaps calling him an effing pleb didn't help Al?

Problem is the American attitude of lets sue everyone if we can. Coppers have a pretty crap job these days,mountain of paperwork for even minor offences,then the chances of a conviction diminished by smart arse's solicitors. No wonder the Police are getting thinner on the ground,who in their right mind would want such a thankless task of a job?Plus the Governmental Know nothing chinless wonders thinning the police force in a pathetic attempt to put the countries coffers back in the black.[Mind you,handy when making a dash for Eurotunnel!]

Last edited by terence; 21 Dec 2012 at 15:44.
Old 21 Dec 2012, 15:48 (Ref:3180826)   #3663
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Hey Richard- Al does a far better version of bitter and twisted than you!

Al-

Old 21 Dec 2012, 15:52 (Ref:3180829)   #3664
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post

Not as bad as my old girlfriend when I was "found out" I bet !!!!
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 21 Dec 2012, 16:00 (Ref:3180833)   #3665
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Not as bad as my old girlfriend when I was "found out" I bet !!!!
Ahhh, 'a woman scorned', then. But she don't post on here, so not eligible!

Old 21 Dec 2012, 17:22 (Ref:3180853)   #3666
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Ahhh, 'a woman scorned', then. But she don't post on here, so not eligible!

Or so Gordon thinks.................
Old 21 Dec 2012, 18:04 (Ref:3180862)   #3667
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Blimey Al - I better not tell you what I did for a living then!

Can't say I'm very impressed with some of the 'iffy goings on' as of late either, not least because it negates so much good / hard work that does go on. Won't get on my soapbox though - too many 'armchair' senior officers, generals, admirals etc etc about at the moment already. Glad I'm no longer in it though - much easier in my day.
Old 21 Dec 2012, 18:25 (Ref:3180872)   #3668
Moosehead
Veteran

Moosehead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosehead View Post
Some of you may remember that I have a side project of a Modsports Sprite that was originally supposed to have been race ready for the reunion meeting at Mallory in 2011......................but that we'd been waiting for the engine builder. Well, the excuses have gone on and on since then and we still had no engine. I'd virtually given up hope tbh so put it to the back of my mind but I was told the other day it would be with us soon as it had been dyno'd.

Haha, just found out that the engine was refitted to the car, went to the rolling road, wouldn't start, then when they eventually got it running it was 'smoking badly'.

Guess what, the engine builder is suddenly unavailable!
Well, we got the car back yesterday complete with engine. Surprisingly it fired up - then the air turned blue - not just from the expletives either! Other than the main faults (of which there are many) the workmanship is shoddy, I've seen (much) better come out of the backest of back street 'reconditioners'. Ho hum.
CSCC Swinging Sixties #128 Red/Black Mustang
Old 21 Dec 2012, 18:43 (Ref:3180877)   #3669
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:

Al-

Ah but Al gets more practice as people are always having a pop at him....despite him being a nice chap (for a suvvenor)

NOt particularly B'n'T about the Police in general, I have a few mates who are either ex- or still serving coppers....just this particular lying ****! Hope he got badly sunburnt on the holiday he doubtless had at my expense

(Is that any better?)
Old 21 Dec 2012, 18:45 (Ref:3180878)   #3670
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
In the news tonight yet another police group accused of undue force, its just one after another.
Old 21 Dec 2012, 18:48 (Ref:3180881)   #3671
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Surely the key word there is "accused"?
Old 22 Dec 2012, 00:38 (Ref:3180974)   #3672
Cliff Ryan
Veteran

Cliff Ryan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCliff Ryan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Flying home for Christmas

Have entered Plum Pudding races at Mallory on Boxing Day - anyone else from this parish going?
Old 22 Dec 2012, 10:50 (Ref:3181065)   #3673
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Ryan View Post
Flying home for Christmas

Have entered Plum Pudding races at Mallory on Boxing Day - anyone else from this parish going?
I thought people tried to go the other way at this time of year ...

Might finally manage to get to the Plum Pudding meeting this year, at least for a couple of hours. Something overly dramatic always seems to have cropped up to make it imposssible in previous years. Nothing of consequence of course, just some sort of drama.

The weather forecasts don't look especially exciting but at least I don't see any suggestions of freezing that might induce cancellation. Hurrah!
Old 22 Dec 2012, 14:57 (Ref:3181129)   #3674
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Alan Morgan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Delta Workshop Revealed!

At long last, some pictures of the new Delta Technology Centre

Iain, kettle in hand, walking to the preparation bays

The Escort project and HRSTR5's Elva 200

A cup of Delta's finest coming up...

The Delta jet dragster project - it's early days yet...

The office and stores complex

Iain sourcing some parts for the dragster from the donor vehicle...

Apologies for the poor quality pictures but my phone got damaged by one of the security guys when I tried to take some pictures of the windtunnel.
Old 22 Dec 2012, 15:32 (Ref:3181136)   #3675
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Morgan View Post

Iain sourcing some parts for the dragster from the donor vehicle...
The sad bit is that the only thing I got excited about was the tractor, looks like a good restoration project.
Closed Thread