Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Closed Thread

Old 11 Sep 2013, 19:51 (Ref:3302317)   #3676
Danathar
Racer

Danathar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullMan View Post
Dagys mentioned it on Twitter after speaking to teams at Brazil.
hmm..Interesting. It's all bizarre really. 2016 will see a whole new set of regs and DP/P2 (current P2) will be obsolete.
Old 12 Sep 2013, 05:33 (Ref:3302530)   #3677
Lanky Turtle
Veteran

Lanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It seems that delaying the regs would just push DP teams to acquire a P2, a car which they know will require minimal changes, and a car they could sell to a team racing in another series if they don't like it.

I would tell a team if they want to win Daytona, get a DP, if they want to win Sebring and the other 10 races, get a P2.
Old 12 Sep 2013, 06:18 (Ref:3302539)   #3678
ATLFalconsFAN
Veteran

United States
Stockton, CA
ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACFlinn View Post
I suggest that if you don't like them, just ignore them.

Andy Flinn
Excellent advice! This is EXACTLY what I will be doing with the slow, low-tech, ugly Daytona Prototypes. Thank you sir for providing such advice for us true sports-car racing fans!
Old 12 Sep 2013, 06:23 (Ref:3302540)   #3679
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I actually really like how the Mazda looks....yeah it's a touring car, but I love the old-school touring car looks....
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 12 Sep 2013, 10:38 (Ref:3302635)   #3680
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLFalconsFAN View Post
Excellent advice! This is EXACTLY what I will be doing with the slow, low-tech, ugly Daytona Prototypes. Thank you sir for providing such advice for us true sports-car racing fans!
You're most definitely not a "true" sports car racing fan.
Old 12 Sep 2013, 11:05 (Ref:3302645)   #3681
David Land
Veteran

United States
Franklin, Indiana
David Land has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanky Turtle View Post
It seems that delaying the regs would just push DP teams to acquire a P2, a car which they know will require minimal changes, and a car they could sell to a team racing in another series if they don't like it.

I would tell a team if they want to win Daytona, get a DP, if they want to win Sebring and the other 10 races, get a P2.
That seems to be the way things are headed.

It is interesting it seems to me that shoehorning the DPs into the P2 field is what is holding this process up, not vice-versa. If you had told me this time last year, or ever 6 months ago, that P2 was seemingly the preferred prototype in the USCR I would have called you crazy.

It seems to me that the USCR might actually be doing this right. The P2 cars have at least 2 more years of world relevance and a connection to Le Mans, the perfect baseline platform for a new series. Glad the work is being done on the DPs and not on the P2s.
Old 12 Sep 2013, 11:25 (Ref:3302656)   #3682
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Couple thoughts:

First, Scott Pruett isn't so popular; his family won't even come to see him race.

Second, I know people who went to races to see the Mazda6 too: SpeedSource crew, Mazda's racing director, and the mother of one of the drivers.

Third: P2 is unlikely to change much in 2016. I have quoted this a couple times but I forget who said it when---some FIA guy who was interviewed by Mr. HIndhaugh at a WEC race, I believe, basically said it isn't broken and FIA wasn't about to break it.

Since none of us really want P2 to be the top class, I suggest we all hope that either P1 customer cars or something like a P2/PC class with open rules could be adopted.

The easy way out would be to make P2 the top class, but I think what we all want is more like the GTP days where everybody could buy or build or radically modify and even a grid full of 962s looked like a grid full of different cars.

Maybe P2 chassis, with more aero and engine freedom? Maybe allow P1s also, even if no one brings one, just in case? Ballast the suckers down to P2 speeds, limit the hybrid output (if asny) and limit the aero but no substantial changes so teams could use one chassis in several series (as with P2)?

Creating a "distinctly American" prototype class which cannot race anywhere else would force manufacturers to do things on the cheap because of the limited market, and we would end up with DPs again ... to get any real variety on the grid, cars from different series need to be eligible.
Old 12 Sep 2013, 12:53 (Ref:3302701)   #3683
Danathar
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanky Turtle View Post

That's why the whole conspiracy thing does not make sense to me. We know for a FACT that P2 cars are staying to ACO spec. It's DP that nobody knows what will be done (beyond speculation)
Old 12 Sep 2013, 13:09 (Ref:3302709)   #3684
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Actually we don't know for a Fact what will happen. We have been assured of many things but until something is solid to the extent it can be defended in a contractual court conflict ... no team is going to invest tens of thousands coming to America to be told the car is non-compliant.

As for the whole "conspiracy" thing ... hey, EU teams, it Definitely is not about you. Regs are late because the management is ... challenged, nto because they care one way or another if EU teams come over for one race.

USCR is trying to make a whole season work, not just one race at Sebring.
Old 12 Sep 2013, 13:13 (Ref:3302712)   #3685
Danathar
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
Actually we don't know for a Fact what will happen. We have been assured of many things but until something is solid to the extent it can be defended in a contractual court conflict ... no team is going to invest tens of thousands coming to America to be told the car is non-compliant.

As for the whole "conspiracy" thing ... hey, EU teams, it Definitely is not about you. Regs are late because the management is ... challenged, nto because they care one way or another if EU teams come over for one race.

USCR is trying to make a whole season work, not just one race at Sebring.
I'll concede your point on the "FACT" part. The Regs have not been released. That being said it was said authoritatively by IMSA personnel that P2 cars would not be changed so much as they could not easily be used at LeMans. That does indicate that more must be done to DP than LMP2. (again..just speculating).

We'll probably know by the end of the month. I've seen several stories that quote european teams that their deadline is really the end of this month.

IMSA may not care as much about the overseas teams, but I'm sure they WANT to have them participate as it adds to the stature of Daytona to have a bunch of new teams come over and participate.
Old 12 Sep 2013, 14:49 (Ref:3302775)   #3686
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
"Entitlement partner" TUDOR Watches

TUDOR being a sub-brand of Rolex.
Old 12 Sep 2013, 15:24 (Ref:3302795)   #3687
Tim240z
Rookie

United States
Tim240z should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post

So... what about all the four door cars that run in the championship?
Old 12 Sep 2013, 15:25 (Ref:3302796)   #3688
Brownj
Racer

United States
Georgia, US
Brownj should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim240z View Post
So... what about all the four door cars that run in the championship?
In the words of Hindy: "very good!"
Old 12 Sep 2013, 15:26 (Ref:3302798)   #3689
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What was wrong with Rolex or Patron?

Tudor? Never heard of them. And therefore, unless you are a watch snob, nobody else has either.

Anyone else feel like this was supposed to spur momentum, and just fell entirely flat on its face?

Last edited by MoMedic9019; 12 Sep 2013 at 15:31.
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 12 Sep 2013, 15:47 (Ref:3302811)   #3690
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
Heard from a friend who was at Laguna, NASCAR officials were very concerned with attendance last weekend....not that is any surprise to us, but, was their concern for 2014? I hope it was. I think any hope, and positive feelings are about to die out...

This isn't going to go well.....and I seriously hope that if any officials from either series read this forum, that they take our comments seriously. I'm not travelling anywhere to watch GA 2.0
Old 12 Sep 2013, 15:53 (Ref:3302818)   #3691
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
They should have just gone the whole way and made that logo into a tri-oval.
Old 12 Sep 2013, 15:54 (Ref:3302819)   #3692
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Tudor is a brand owned by Rolex...

The Tudor brand is a level (or two) below the Rolex watches.

Last edited by Fogelhund; 12 Sep 2013 at 15:59.
Old 12 Sep 2013, 15:56 (Ref:3302821)   #3693
Maelochs
Veteran

Good to know the series' sense of entitlement has a sponsor.
Old 12 Sep 2013, 15:56 (Ref:3302822)   #3694
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMedic9019 View Post
What was wrong with Rolex or Patron?

Tudor? Never heard of them. And therefore, unless you are a watch snob, nobody else has either.
Same could have been said for Blancpain three years ago...
Old 12 Sep 2013, 15:57 (Ref:3302824)   #3695
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
Same could have been said for Blancpain three years ago...
And Rebellion too.
Old 12 Sep 2013, 16:14 (Ref:3302836)   #3696
Maelochs
Veteran

The series has a sponsor? Already way ahead of ALMS (another organization almost no one has heard of.)
Old 12 Sep 2013, 16:18 (Ref:3302841)   #3697
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Time to talk about positives. Sponsors are never a bad thing.
Old 12 Sep 2013, 16:25 (Ref:3302842)   #3698
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
So USCR is dead......now USCC. Look at the logo....
Old 12 Sep 2013, 16:32 (Ref:3302846)   #3699
jeast
Racer

jeast User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post

So we lose the only good thing grand am brought to the merger the Rolex name... I guess a cheap watch will work well with the seemingly cheapen product we will get.
Old 12 Sep 2013, 16:37 (Ref:3302848)   #3700
BullMan
Veteran

BullMan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMedic9019 View Post
Heard from a friend who was at Laguna, NASCAR officials were very concerned with attendance last weekend....not that is any surprise to us, but, was their concern for 2014? I hope it was. I think any hope, and positive feelings are about to die out...

This isn't going to go well.....and I seriously hope that if any officials from either series read this forum, that they take our comments seriously. I'm not travelling anywhere to watch GA 2.0
So they're JUST NOW becoming concerned with poor attendance in their series?
Closed Thread