Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 13 May 2014, 21:49 (Ref:3406025)   #351
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist has a real shot at the podium!TrapezeArtist has a real shot at the podium!TrapezeArtist has a real shot at the podium!TrapezeArtist has a real shot at the podium!
Every other branch of motorsport has struggled for years to reduce noise and here is F1 wanting to be louder. You couldn't make it up!

By every objective and rational measure, F1 cars have been too loud for years. They have just been shrill, unpleasant, painful and potentially harmful. This years cars are still loud, but on television at least we are now getting lower levels of a less unpleasant noise, and the opportunity to hear other sounds that are meaningful within the racing context.

The days of "tearing calico" came to an end 50 years ago. Get over it.
Old 13 May 2014, 22:29 (Ref:3406039)   #352
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapezeArtist View Post
Every other branch of motorsport has struggled for years to reduce noise and here is F1 wanting to be louder. You couldn't make it up!
As demanded by the fans. Not F1 as such.

Like quickly wearing tyres. Superficially sounded (thread title pun not intended) like a good idea.

Just saying.
Old 14 May 2014, 08:18 (Ref:3406123)   #353
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
The test version resembles an ear trumpet, be interesting to hear what it sounds like.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/113947

Old 14 May 2014, 09:10 (Ref:3406132)   #354
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyseeker View Post
The test version resembles an ear trumpet, be interesting to hear what it sounds like.

I wonder just how much money has been thrown into the *development* of that? It does have the appearance of a ten-minute lash up to me!
(And an un-necessary one in my opinion. I don't think there's anything wrong with the way they sound...)

Last edited by VIVA GT; 14 May 2014 at 09:11. Reason: Just added my opinion about the whole subject
Old 14 May 2014, 09:59 (Ref:3406143)   #355
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
I wonder just how much money has been thrown into the *development* of that? It does have the appearance of a ten-minute lash up to me!
(And an un-necessary one in my opinion. I don't think there's anything wrong with the way they sound...)
probably 100k who's paying?
Old 14 May 2014, 11:41 (Ref:3406173)   #356
brandscooper
Rookie

brandscooper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hope the next step are neon lights under the side pods.
Old 14 May 2014, 11:47 (Ref:3406175)   #357
Tucky
Racer

United Kingdom
Brighton
Tucky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTucky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTucky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's not just any ear trumpet, it's a high tech ear trumpet developed by "acoustic engineers". The FIA should have just come to me, I'd give them the same solution and only charge half!

http://www.autosport.com/news/report...ce=mostpopular
Old 14 May 2014, 12:26 (Ref:3406188)   #358
b1ackcr0w
Veteran

b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!
Generally speaking, I prefer my cars to be noisy brutes.

However, I am being pursuaded that this new generation of Polar Bear friendly F1 has some unexpected benefits.

For instance, when you're watching on TV, you can now hear the car bottoming out from in car footage. And where the mics have been thoughtfully placed, you can hear tyre squeel. If you're watching on TV (and lets face it, most of us are), that brings you details you never got while they were drowned out by the NA v10s and v8s.
Old 14 May 2014, 13:38 (Ref:3406216)   #359
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucky View Post
It's not just any ear trumpet, it's a high tech ear trumpet developed by "acoustic engineers". The FIA should have just come to me, I'd give them the same solution and only charge half!

http://www.autosport.com/news/report...ce=mostpopular
I'm sure those of you on social networking have already seen the amount of ridicule and castigation this move has gotten. You'd be forgiven for thinking F1 doesn't know what it's doing or where it's going.
Old 14 May 2014, 13:53 (Ref:3406219)   #360
wdave0
Veteran

United States
NY
wdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy View Post
I'm sure those of you on social networking have already seen the amount of ridicule and castigation this move has gotten. You'd be forgiven for thinking F1 doesn't know what it's doing or where it's going.

They know exactly what they're dong - they need something silly looking on the rear to match the noses so the cars are aesthetically balanced.
Old 14 May 2014, 13:56 (Ref:3406220)   #361
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdave0 View Post
They know exactly what they're dong - they need something silly looking on the rear to match the noses so the cars are aesthetically balanced.

You beat me to it... that's exactly what I thought after I'd made the post above.
Old 14 May 2014, 15:22 (Ref:3406249)   #362
pauln
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
pauln should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridpauln should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why is my mind now asking itself where baby F1 cars come from?
Old 14 May 2014, 15:39 (Ref:3406257)   #363
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

That's risible. .
Old 14 May 2014, 16:45 (Ref:3406280)   #364
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Heard a clip of the Merc with the silly French horn. My immediate thought was it sounds like a Barried Corsa. So I'm sure Lewis will like it if no-one else.
Old 14 May 2014, 16:56 (Ref:3406284)   #365
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

Last edited by Knowlesy; 14 May 2014 at 17:05.
Old 14 May 2014, 18:35 (Ref:3406323)   #366
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
Maybe the new exhaust is supposed to look like this...

It should be quite a cacophony during the race.

Richard
And you thought I was joking when I posted the above about a month ago! Its just too bad that all the nice curvy parts are covered up by aero! I guess they had to go with Mercedes silver vs. brass color.

Richard
Old 14 May 2014, 18:54 (Ref:3406339)   #367
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
That "solution" is highly comical. There was me thinking they would actually redesign a section of the exhaust, but nah, just stick a great big trombone on the end of it. Done.
Old 14 May 2014, 19:04 (Ref:3406340)   #368
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am very sorry to say, but to me Formula One is becoming an arcade game.
Old 14 May 2014, 19:22 (Ref:3406349)   #369
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The design your own exhaust arcade game?
Old 14 May 2014, 19:29 (Ref:3406352)   #370
davyboy
Veteran

I've got a bit of a horn on... first to bury their nose in here is the winner

Old 14 May 2014, 19:40 (Ref:3406357)   #371
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I think the next step is duck calls on the turbo blow off...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbNxugO-uf0

Richard
Old 14 May 2014, 20:04 (Ref:3406375)   #372
Alfaholic
Veteran

England
Felixstowe
Alfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAlfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Was this the inspiration???

http://www.turbospoke.com/

Alternatively has one of the work experience boys stuck a barried Corsa's fart can exhaust on there without Toto noticing?

That new exhaust has to be a joke doesn't it.....
Old 14 May 2014, 20:10 (Ref:3406376)   #373
Tucky
Racer

United Kingdom
Brighton
Tucky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTucky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTucky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Perhaps all the teams could tune their exhaust horns to play different notes, then we can all have a sing-along during the boring parts of the race
Old 14 May 2014, 21:32 (Ref:3406406)   #374
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Sheesh. The Merc looks ludicrous.

The cars sound how they sound. "Fans" need to move on, and concentrate on the technology a bit more.
Old 14 May 2014, 22:29 (Ref:3406417)   #375
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
Sheesh. The Merc looks ludicrous.

The cars sound how they sound. "Fans" need to move on, and concentrate on the technology a bit more.
The test was of no consequence. It made no significant change to the sound so they went back to the standard exhaust for the rest of the day....