Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 15 Feb 2019, 09:43 (Ref:3884347)   #3776
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
A few articles mentioned that they were not using the B48 engine, but I don't recall the team specifically mentioning it (or using it as any form of excuse for results). They did say that they were down on straight line speed compared to other cars, but just seemed to quietly get on with their business.
It wasn't specifically mentioned in their press release when the unveiled the car but some of the media picked up on it. Don't recall any mention of it during the year.

It was treated as a different engine/chassis combination to the WSR cars so got a separate BOP, which would have negated some of the apparent disadvantage.
Old 15 Feb 2019, 10:22 (Ref:3884353)   #3777
btccbloke
Veteran

Wales
btccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbtccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Do we have any whispers or "in the know's" about the BTC announcement on Monday yet?
Old 15 Feb 2019, 11:14 (Ref:3884362)   #3778
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
It was treated as a different engine/chassis combination to the WSR cars so got a separate BOP, which would have negated some of the apparent disadvantage.
for people (ok, me) not familiar with the btcc bop process, is it ballast or air intake limits or...?
Old 15 Feb 2019, 11:19 (Ref:3884366)   #3779
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
for people (ok, me) not familiar with the btcc bop process, is it ballast or air intake limits or...?
No one really knows any more as there is zero transparency, we are just told “it’s balanced”, and have to move on.
Old 15 Feb 2019, 11:42 (Ref:3884367)   #3780
RS67
Veteran

RS67 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
No one really knows any more as there is zero transparency, we are just told “it’s balanced”, and have to move on.
RWD cars have a minimum weight limit as do FWD cars. The Subarus were I believe given the choice of additional weight to be carried on the bulk head to negate their CoG advantage or run lower boost.
All engines are tested for cylinder head airflow capacity and boost limit is set accordingly to balance them out. There are no hidden secrets.
Old 15 Feb 2019, 11:46 (Ref:3884369)   #3781
crmalcolm
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by RS67 View Post
The Subarus were I believe given the choice of additional weight to be carried on the bulk head to negate their CoG advantage or run lower boost.
All RWD cars are subject to a C of G equalisation procedure, it's not just a Subaru-specific regulation. (Regulation 5.2.18)
Old 15 Feb 2019, 13:40 (Ref:3884392)   #3782
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RS67 View Post
RWD cars have a minimum weight limit as do FWD cars. The Subarus were I believe given the choice of additional weight to be carried on the bulk head to negate their CoG advantage or run lower boost.
All engines are tested for cylinder head airflow capacity and boost limit is set accordingly to balance them out. There are no hidden secrets.
the subaru can run with weight on the bulkhead or a higher floor height (not lower boost)

also all teams receive a chart with all the boost limits for each engine. like you say there are not secrets within the teams
Old 15 Feb 2019, 13:53 (Ref:3884394)   #3783
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by btccbloke View Post
I hope so too, he is a genuinely nice guy. My understanding is that this season he has almost equal equipment to the other BMWs, in terms of the engine at least.
I dont think it was too well publicised that he was running an older, less developed engine compared to the WSR guys towards the front which unfortunately made his performances (Knockhill aside) look really poor in comparison.
the issue is WSR themselves had straight line issues

so if they do poor Jelly was probably the slowest car in straightline speed
Old 15 Feb 2019, 14:09 (Ref:3884395)   #3784
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche962fan View Post
the issue is WSR themselves had straight line issues

so if they do poor Jelly was probably the slowest car in straightline speed
The BMW had several increasingly punitive boost restrictions put in place. First there was a boost cut for 1st gear, then I *believe* there was a separate boost restriction below 120kph. Then that was reduced to 100kph and now I think its 80kph. Again I don’t know for sure, because this stuff isn’t written anywhere in the regs or on the BTCC official pages. I assume this applies to Subaru as well, but again, no official documentation published so, who knows...?
Old 15 Feb 2019, 14:24 (Ref:3884396)   #3785
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
The BMW had several increasingly punitive boost restrictions put in place. First there was a boost cut for 1st gear, then I *believe* there was a separate boost restriction below 120kph. Then that was reduced to 100kph and now I think its 80kph. Again I don’t know for sure, because this stuff isn’t written anywhere in the regs or on the BTCC official pages. I assume this applies to Subaru as well, but again, no official documentation published so, who knows...?
not just bmw.
every rwd car (bmw and subaru) has exactly the same standing-start boost reduction up to the same speed to equalise their starts

and it cant possibly be too "punitive" as rwd cars have won the last two championships and its a rwd car that has won the most races in each of the last two years!
Old 15 Feb 2019, 14:52 (Ref:3884399)   #3786
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Do we have any whispers or "in the know's" about the BTC announcement on Monday yet?
Yes, it's announcing their second driver.
Old 15 Feb 2019, 15:02 (Ref:3884402)   #3787
btccbloke
Veteran

Wales
btccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbtccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by sceptic View Post
well yeah i got that much from their announcement about the announcement
I just havent really seen any whispers about who it might be, we knew it would be Smiley, we know its not JP, im still saying James Cole but its all a bit quiet so this could be a bit of a surprise one, (although by now someone has come on here knowing who it is)
Old 15 Feb 2019, 15:06 (Ref:3884403)   #3788
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I guess the teams and engine builders do...
Old 15 Feb 2019, 15:30 (Ref:3884405)   #3789
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by touring fan01 View Post
not just bmw.
every rwd car (bmw and subaru) has exactly the same standing-start boost reduction up to the same speed to equalise their starts

and it cant possibly be too "punitive" as rwd cars have won the last two championships and its a rwd car that has won the most races in each of the last two years!
Your right, results dont lie, and whilst they have won the last 2 championships, how many races did BMW win last year? Was it 1? (I haven’t looked TBH). Also the BMW was one of the slowest in a straight line, and they rarely had the fastest car on a weekend. I think part of the problem is that when you invoke a performance measure for Subaru, the BMW has to inherit that also, and due to the Subaru being a freakshow in terms of its construction, it doesn't favour BMW at all that they are subject to some of the same measures.
Old 15 Feb 2019, 15:31 (Ref:3884406)   #3790
crmalcolm
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Again I don’t know for sure, because this stuff isn’t written anywhere in the regs or on the BTCC official pages. I assume this applies to Subaru as well, but again, no official documentation published so, who knows...?
It's written very clearly in the regulations, and official documentation that is published to the teams.
It's not open source, hence you not having seen it, but it does exist and is included in the Technical Regulations, supplemented by bulletins issued to the teams.
Old 15 Feb 2019, 15:41 (Ref:3884408)   #3791
touring fan01
Veteran

Quote:
Your right, results dont lie, and whilst they have won the last 2 championships, how many races did BMW win last year? Was it 1? (I haven’t looked TBH). Also the BMW was one of the slowest in a straight line, and they rarely had the fastest car on a weekend. I think part of the problem is that when you invoke a performance measure for Subaru, the BMW has to inherit that also, and due to the Subaru being a freakshow in terms of its construction, it doesn't favour BMW at all that they are subject to some of the same measures.
bmw won the championship against by far the toughest amount of opposition seen for many years.

that says it all.
Old 15 Feb 2019, 16:10 (Ref:3884416)   #3792
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
well yeah i got that much from their announcement about the announcement
I just havent really seen any whispers about who it might be, we knew it would be Smiley, we know its not JP, im still saying James Cole but its all a bit quiet so this could be a bit of a surprise one, (although by now someone has come on here knowing who it is)
Maybe it's Martin Brundle getting in on the act...
Old 15 Feb 2019, 16:16 (Ref:3884417)   #3793
mprmke
Racer

mprmke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by sceptic View Post
Who has been signed since 7th January. Or at least the deal was agreed in principle on 7th January...
Old 15 Feb 2019, 16:28 (Ref:3884423)   #3794
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by touring fan01 View Post
bmw won the championship against by far the toughest amount of opposition seen for many years.

that says it all.
By being consistent, not through outright car pace.
Old 15 Feb 2019, 16:30 (Ref:3884424)   #3795
Robin Marriott
Veteran

Robin Marriott should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mprmke View Post
Who has been signed since 7th January. Or at least the deal was agreed in principle on 7th January...
Someone from the class of 2018?
Old 15 Feb 2019, 16:34 (Ref:3884426)   #3796
touring fan01
Veteran

Quote:
so?
theres not a driver or team on the grid who wouldnt be ecstatic to have won the championship in that way against 16 other race winners.
Old 15 Feb 2019, 17:01 (Ref:3884434)   #3797
crmalcolm
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Consistently competitive enough to score regular points, in enough quantity to take the title.

Doesn't sound like a hampered car to me?
Old 15 Feb 2019, 18:25 (Ref:3884452)   #3798
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
The car was never the fastest in 2018, but it was always a good little runner and that’s what got it the title
Old 15 Feb 2019, 20:39 (Ref:3884475)   #3799
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Personally I put it down to Colins calm, considered driving style. In many ways he reminds me of Damon Hill: smooth measured inputs on the controls, never too vicious cornering or braking, sympathetic to the machine. Generally not too exciting to watch, but fast lap times are not necessarily achieved by driving on the ragged edge.

I'd say the BMW was pretty well hampered as poor old Rob C seemed to struggle more often than not for pace: Rob is a competent, fast driver and I don't believe that skill set had left him just like I don't believe it has left JP.
Old 15 Feb 2019, 20:56 (Ref:3884479)   #3800
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Colin only really is on the limit when he needs to be, otherwise he lets things come to him. Certainly his moves are usually so precise and clean too