Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 6 Aug 2010, 14:10 (Ref:2740399)   #376
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
If you're talking about current F1 drivers, I think they find it amusing how poorly Schumacher is driving.
On the contrary, I think they'll find it reassuring that even the greatest driver of a generation can struggle with a car that doesn't suit him after a couple of years out. I also think they'll see the work being put in by Schumacher and the team and will fully expect him to be far more competitive next season.

But I wouldn't expect you to understand that.
Old 6 Aug 2010, 14:30 (Ref:2740406)   #377
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by garcon View Post
I also think they'll see the work being put in by Schumacher and the team and will fully expect him to be far more competitive next season.
I fully expect to see him bow out at the end of 2010.

All we can do is wait and see.
Old 6 Aug 2010, 14:37 (Ref:2740409)   #378
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
On the contrary, I think they'll find it reassuring that even the greatest driver of a generation can struggle with a car that doesn't suit him after a couple of years out. I also think they'll see the work being put in by Schumacher and the team and will fully expect him to be far more competitive next season.

But I wouldn't expect you to understand that.
Yeah, talk to me like I'm an idiot, why don't you?

Are you a Schumy fan who's upset that he's been completely crap?

Ah, next season, next season. Funny that, all season we've had people saying "Wait for Monaco" or "Wait for such-and-such", and Schumacher gets further away from Mr Rosberg. Quite making excuses for him. Talking of quitting, when is Schumacher off? He's embarrassing himself.
Old 6 Aug 2010, 14:37 (Ref:2740410)   #379
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Hans View Post
I fully expect to see him bow out at the end of 2010.

All we can do is wait and see.
Indeed. The team have already efectively written off this season, so are presumably some way down the line with next year's car. One would think Brawn and Schumacher will sit down at the end of this season and make a realistic assessment of the position. If they honestly believe they have the package to compete for the WDC then of course he'll continue. If they decide they can't, whether that's because the car or Schumacher isn't quick enough, then I hope he'll - all be it reluctantly - call it a day.
Old 6 Aug 2010, 14:39 (Ref:2740411)   #380
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
If they have the package for the WDC, it'll be Rosberg who wins it not the 'never was' that is Michael Schumacher. Greatest ever? Bull****.
Old 6 Aug 2010, 14:39 (Ref:2740412)   #381
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
Quote:
Yeah, talk to me like I'm an idiot, why don't you?

Are you a Schumy fan who's upset that he's been completely crap?

Ah, next season, next season. Funny that, all season we've had people saying "Wait for Monaco" or "Wait for such-and-such", and Schumacher gets further away from Mr Rosberg. Quite making excuses for him. Talking of quitting, when is Schumacher off? He's embarrassing himself.
Well how else should I talk to you when you repeatedly show yourself up to be exactly that?
Old 6 Aug 2010, 14:40 (Ref:2740413)   #382
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
Quote:
If they have the package for the WDC, it'll be Rosberg who wins it not the 'never was' that is Michael Schumacher. Greatest ever? Bull****.
And again!

You'll be telling us Villeneuve was better next...
Old 6 Aug 2010, 14:41 (Ref:2740414)   #383
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

You're being an idiot. Shut up with calling me that.
Old 6 Aug 2010, 14:42 (Ref:2740416)   #384
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Now, now, girls.
Calm down.

Quote:
Oh.

Not cool, man.

Not cool.
Old 6 Aug 2010, 14:42 (Ref:2740417)   #385
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
Quote:
You're being an idiot.
Montoya then?
Old 6 Aug 2010, 14:45 (Ref:2740419)   #386
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
And again!

And again, what? You're rolling on the floor laughing because I contest the notion that he is the greatest ever as many (not necessarily yourself) have claimed over the years. He's being shown up by a driver that not many have touted as one of the future greats even if he is a very good driver. Stop defending the indefensible. Schumacher has been shown up in my view and cannot be uttered in the same breath as many greats. That's my opinion, but don't come here and insult me.

What the **** does Villeneuve have to do with it?
Old 6 Aug 2010, 14:46 (Ref:2740421)   #387
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Montoya greater than Schumacher? No. Although he could have achieved a lot more than he did. But I don't know why you're bringing other drivers into this when I'm talking about how **** Schumacher is driving.
Old 6 Aug 2010, 14:56 (Ref:2740429)   #388
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
Just trying to find the level you believe Schumacher is, I guess.

Maybe my comments came over a little harsher than intended - but I do find your view of Schumacher simplistic in the extreme (even if it is one that is shared by millions of F1 fans out there...)

I was surprised when he came back, but the opportunity to work with Ross Brawn with a potentially competitive car was, I suppose, just too much to resist. I think this season he has learnt a few things - two in particular being that even having remained involved there's alot of catching up to do after only three years not driving, and that the thousands and thousands of miles of testing that he doesn't do now were crucial in developing the car.

I don't think other drivers, past or present, are laughing at him at all. Above all because they all know they'd have made the same decision.

I'm hopeful he'll be competitive next season. If not, I hope he'll retire gracefully with his legacy intact. The only people claiming his legacy is now tarnished are those who already claimed it was tarnished by his unsporting actions over the years. How ironic it is that many of those claim to be Senna fans.

(Another debate, but for me the greatest ever is and always will be Jim Clark.)
Old 6 Aug 2010, 15:05 (Ref:2740433)   #389
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

A more measured post. Good to see.

I was actually glad Schumacher came back. But he has added nothing, except for an unexpected point of interest.

Quote:
I don't think other drivers, past or present, are laughing at him at all.
I would imagine there's an element of schadenfreude.

People can dress it up however they like, but why is one of the so-called greats getting beaten by Nico Rosberg? Because of the testing ban?

Quote:
The only people claiming his legacy is now tarnished are those who already claimed it was tarnished by his unsporting actions over the years.
I would say his legacy is tarnished because he is showing he's not as good as most thought he was.

Quote:
Another debate, but for me the greatest ever is and always will be Jim Clark
Even if someone greater one day comes along.
Old 6 Aug 2010, 15:11 (Ref:2740438)   #390
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
Quote:
A more measured post. Good to see.
I can manage it occasionally...

Quote:
People can dress it up however they like, but why is one of the so-called greats getting beaten by Nico Rosberg? Because of the testing ban?
There is speculation in these pages and elsewhere covering literally hundreds of possible reasons. The truth, I think, is (as usual) a combination of factors - some permanent, some not. And we'll probably never really know which factors are/were most important.

Quote:
I would say his legacy is tarnished because he is showing he's not as good as most thought he was.
I'm sure that's the way you, and lots of others, would like to see it. Alternatively, he's showing that he's now not as good as he undoubtedly was in his prime.

Quote:
Even if someone greater one day comes along.
I don't think anyone will ever win Monaco by more than 5 minutes...
Old 6 Aug 2010, 15:12 (Ref:2740440)   #391
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
It is near-impossible to compare drivers from different eras. You can only compare drivers with their contempories. And out of all the great drivers in F1 history, nobody was so clearly better than his peers than Jim Clark. And not only was he great, he carried himself exceptionally well.

I visited his final resting place recently. His headstone (at his prior insistence) lists his profession as farmer before motor racing world champion. Sums him up.
Old 6 Aug 2010, 15:15 (Ref:2740442)   #392
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Quite
I do know how to spell 'quit' even though I wrote it wrongly.
Old 6 Aug 2010, 15:15 (Ref:2740445)   #393
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Hans View Post
It is near-impossible to compare drivers from different eras. You can only compare drivers with their contempories. And out of all the great drivers in F1 history, nobody was so clearly better than his peers than Jim Clark.
That's absolutely true - it will always be a subjective thing. Funnily enough, I go for Jim Clark for that very reason. It was symptomatic of the era, but no less a tragedy that his death came so relatively early - who knows how long he may have continued to dominate for.

Not visited Duns yet, but I shall when the chance arises.

(Sorry, bit of a diversion off topic there!)
Old 6 Aug 2010, 15:22 (Ref:2740452)   #394
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Not visited Duns yet, but I shall when the chance arises.
You should.

The Jim Clark Room in the centre of Duns is excellent, though probably only worth a visit if you're in the area, as it is very small (literally one room). He is buried in the churchyard at nearby Chirnside.

Incidentally, the roads around the area are utterly fantastic. It's no wonder he got the bug.
Old 6 Aug 2010, 15:30 (Ref:2740459)   #395
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:

Maybe my comments came over a little harsher than intended - but I do find your view of Schumacher simplistic in the extreme (even if it is one that is shared by millions of F1 fans out there...)
I've thought about this and debated it a lot with my dad, so I haven't arrived at a simplistic conclusion. I think Schumacher is a hard worker who used to draw the team around him and he did a lot of testing, but he never took on a team-mate. Now he has, he's being beaten, which impacts on my view of his talents.
Old 6 Aug 2010, 15:31 (Ref:2740463)   #396
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Once again there is only one answer to the original question.

NOW!
Old 6 Aug 2010, 15:32 (Ref:2740464)   #397
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

After Spa, so I can at least watch him there.
Old 6 Aug 2010, 15:35 (Ref:2740466)   #398
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
the greatest driver of a generation
Pre-Alonso, yes. Once he and Alonso were battling, I'd say Alonso had the edge.
Old 6 Aug 2010, 18:40 (Ref:2740564)   #399
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
I wouldn't say Alonso and Schumacher were of the same generation. I'd suggest Schumacher's peers were Villeneuve, Hakkinen, Montoya, Coulthard, Frentzen, Irvine, Barrichello and so on.
Old 6 Aug 2010, 19:40 (Ref:2740605)   #400
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
Schumacher himself has always been pretty clear about who his toughest opponent was - Hakkinen. For two or three years it was a straight fight between equals.