Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 16 May 2015, 13:26 (Ref:3538037)   #376
Dyson Mazda
Veteran

United States
Charlotte, NC
Dyson Mazda should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDyson Mazda should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchZ06 View Post
Pays to read ALL of an article...seems DPs may indeed hang around quite a bit longer yet, Chev/Ford/etc will be quite happy.
I think that the only manufacturer left in DP next year, for its final season, will be Chevy. I think Ford and Ganassi are going the GTLM route (perhaps the WEC route as well). I think the Dinan BMW and the HPD DP motor are dead in the water as well.
Old 16 May 2015, 13:30 (Ref:3538038)   #377
Dyson Mazda
Veteran

United States
Charlotte, NC
Dyson Mazda should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDyson Mazda should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund View Post
Well, from 2017 it would be a P2... and with the new rules, likely what it means is a Bentley sponsored car, or a Bentley skin over something else... But nothing really Bentley about it. The proposed rules are to have just four chassis manufacturers for P2, with likely the ability to "brand" them with different bodywork in TUSC. ACO rules call for a single engine for all P2, though it is probably going to be different in TUSC.
I do not really understand this argument. A Bentley IMSA P2 would have a Bentley motor and some form of Bentley body work on it. This is the exact same thing that Aston Martin did to their Lola P1 and HPD did with their P2 cars early on. Actually to take it a step further, what does the new Nissan P1 have to do with a Nissan other than the company writing the checks? The same is true with Audi, Porsche, and Toyota.
Old 16 May 2015, 13:41 (Ref:3538041)   #378
wdave0
Veteran

United States
NY
wdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyson Mazda View Post
I do not really understand this argument. A Bentley IMSA P2 would have a Bentley motor and some form of Bentley body work on it. This is the exact same thing that Aston Martin did to their Lola P1 and HPD did with their P2 cars early on. Actually to take it a step further, what does the new Nissan P1 have to do with a Nissan other than the company writing the checks? The same is true with Audi, Porsche, and Toyota.
Careful reading of the article leads me to conclude that Bently want to build a DP chassis of their own and put their own V8 into it and race TUSCC only with it. This suggests that they have inside knowledge that DP will continue long enough past 2017 for reasonable ROI and for all fans to finally give up on NASCAR vision sportscar racing.
Old 16 May 2015, 13:46 (Ref:3538043)   #379
Dyson Mazda
Veteran

United States
Charlotte, NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdave0 View Post
Careful reading of the article leads me to conclude that Bently want to build a DP chassis of their own and put their own V8 into it and race TUSCC only with it. This suggests that they have inside knowledge that DP will continue long enough past 2017 for reasonable ROI and for all fans to finally give up on NASCAR vision sportscar racing.
Fair enough. I have a hard time seeing a manufacturer like Bentley preferring a steel low-downforce chassis to carbon modern prototype. That article was all over the map though.

This:

Quote:
“It’s our philosophy at Bentley Motors to race where we can win overall,” Durheimer told Sportscar365 in an exclusive interview Saturday at the Nürburgring.
Really did not go with this at all

Quote:
While it’s understood Bentley is pursuing IMSA homologation for the Continental GT3 to be eligible in the GT Le Mans class next year
Old 16 May 2015, 13:46 (Ref:3538044)   #380
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ift this is the way it does go. If DP does stick around... I don't know how this turns into anything but GA.

At the risk of being flamed...

Dagys isn't exactly known for telling the whole story. Might be a ton of stuff taken out of context here
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 16 May 2015, 13:49 (Ref:3538046)   #381
Dyson Mazda
Veteran

United States
Charlotte, NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMedic9019 View Post
Ift this is the way it does go. If DP does stick around... I don't know how this turns into anything but GA.

At the risk of being flamed...

Dagys isn't exactly known for telling the whole story. Might be a ton of stuff taken out of context here
The one thing I will say about the series management is I hope they realize at this point in time 2 things:

1. The DP's are not very popular and allow zero international attraction into the top class

2. They cannot continue to try to performance balance two totally different formulas
Old 16 May 2015, 14:27 (Ref:3538062)   #382
MagVanisher
Veteran

MagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well at least Chevrolet will have a rival like Bentley, but it's not like the company is vying for overall wins like Audi for example.

On the other hand, IMSA didn't discussed about the engine placement for their new 2017 Prototype class, right?
Old 16 May 2015, 14:36 (Ref:3538066)   #383
MitchZ06
Veteran

New Zealand
Australia
MitchZ06 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For possible clarity...

Bentley DP - Factory Program
Conti GTLM - Customer Program

Corvette does both classes, just the other way round....
Old 16 May 2015, 14:48 (Ref:3538068)   #384
Lagunaseca_4life
Veteran

United States
Central Valley CA
Lagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
“It’s not decided yet on what will come in Daytona. My personal reading of the subject is that Daytona Prototypes will not die out. They will exist alongside the P2 class."

Not that I hate DPs,the new chevy is a cool looking mean sounding car,but it's time to move on! I hope he's reading into it wrong,but I wouldn't doubt if it's mr.taylor fighting to keep the DP around.

:/
Old 16 May 2015, 15:27 (Ref:3538084)   #385
Dyson Mazda
Veteran

United States
Charlotte, NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagunaseca_4life View Post
“It’s not decided yet on what will come in Daytona. My personal reading of the subject is that Daytona Prototypes will not die out. They will exist alongside the P2 class."

Not that I hate DPs,the new chevy is a cool looking mean sounding car,but it's time to move on! I hope he's reading into it wrong,but I wouldn't doubt if it's mr.taylor fighting to keep the DP around.

:/
Yeah I think the only team that is probably upset about not having a DP future is Action Express. I do think that Mr. Taylor does want to bring his team back to Le Mans and wants a prototype class that allows him to do that.
Old 16 May 2015, 15:56 (Ref:3538098)   #386
MitchZ06
Veteran

New Zealand
Australia
So Bentley does indeed want DPs (N24 broadcast).
Old 16 May 2015, 15:57 (Ref:3538099)   #387
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Head of Bentley motorsports was just on with Hindy on the N24 broadcast.

He says there is no intent by the organizers to drop the DP, and there is a desire to re-open the chassis constructors.

Has NASCAR just been outed as complete liars? Oh boy. This is gonna get interesting.
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 16 May 2015, 16:04 (Ref:3538103)   #388
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
A Bentley styled and powered DP would look and be awesome.
Old 16 May 2015, 16:06 (Ref:3538104)   #389
Damian Baldi
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Damian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
United States need start building first class carbon fiber chassis, or will end buying russian and chinese in the future.

What happened with Galmer, Swift, Truesport, Riley, Eagle and Penske ???

Looks like north american teams are in a comfortable situation of no progress.
Old 16 May 2015, 16:07 (Ref:3538105)   #390
MitchZ06
Veteran

New Zealand
Australia
In terms of the Conti GT3 'fitting' GTE regs the engine fits the current turbo engine regs (4L max displacement, 8 cylinders max) so it's a fair way there already and likely not as much of a waiverwagen as the Bimmers have been....
Old 16 May 2015, 16:14 (Ref:3538110)   #391
FLGTFAN
Racer

United States
Naples, Florida
FLGTFAN has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMedic9019 View Post
Has NASCAR just been outed as complete liars? Oh boy. This is gonna get interesting.
I think the DP boys are balking at a P2 future, and IMSA has almost no P2 teams left. So, bring on more DP!
Old 16 May 2015, 16:21 (Ref:3538113)   #392
YZFrider
Racer

YZFrider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridYZFrider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
N24 broadcast also echoing the fears of a shrunken field for GTLM for next year. The rumored Ford and now this Bentley potential entry would be welcome for the class if true
Old 16 May 2015, 16:22 (Ref:3538114)   #393
Lagunaseca_4life
Veteran

United States
Central Valley CA
Lagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm just trying to imagine what a bently dp would look like,the corvette body works and fits the dp profile dang near perfect,but I can't imagine what a bently body would look like if they used continental styling cues......

I gues Dp would be ok if they implemented carbon tub safety cells,but other wise. I've been trying to be pro Imsa from the beginning with ups and downs,but 2017 was supposed to be the big up we were all looking forward to.kinda dissapointing.

At this point Bentley is the only one we are hearing this from,and to me bentley is just another aston Martin.a lot of talk and little to no action,never any real stake in Us sports car racing.

Last edited by Lagunaseca_4life; 16 May 2015 at 16:33.
Old 16 May 2015, 16:23 (Ref:3538115)   #394
MitchZ06
Veteran

New Zealand
Australia
Future P2 being so limited in chassis and a single engine supplier have effectively opened the door for DPs to hang around as a viable option for manufacturers to build and race their own cars, albeit limited to the US. Business wise it's quite smart by IMSA.
Old 16 May 2015, 16:24 (Ref:3538116)   #395
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLGTFAN View Post
I think the DP boys are balking at a P2 future, and IMSA has almost no P2 teams left. So, bring on more DP!
Entirely plausible. I bet Shank is gonna be ****ed
Old 16 May 2015, 16:28 (Ref:3538118)   #396
Lagunaseca_4life
Veteran

United States
Central Valley CA
Quote:
Ironically,shank the team I thought would fight off p2 the most is now in one of the best p2s money can buy....literally....
Old 16 May 2015, 16:29 (Ref:3538119)   #397
MitchZ06
Veteran

New Zealand
Australia
Bentley's actually raced in more races they say they're going to than Aston Martin has so you may want to adjust your thinking...
Old 16 May 2015, 16:29 (Ref:3538120)   #398
MagVanisher
Veteran

MagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Honestly, I think IMSA should reconsider overhauling their prototype plans for 2017.

In addition to mandating carbon-fiber chassis construction, the tub should be made in a variety of sizes: From the narrow P1-style chassis to the DTM/Super GT two-seater prototype tub.

As for Shank though, he can defect to WEC if he has the money! After all, he bought the Ligier which is the best P2 car currently in the running!
Old 16 May 2015, 16:35 (Ref:3538121)   #399
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagVanisher View Post
Honestly, I think IMSA should reconsider overhauling their prototype plans for 2017.
I'm betting they already have.....
Old 16 May 2015, 16:37 (Ref:3538122)   #400
Dyson Mazda
Veteran

United States
Charlotte, NC
Quote:
There are 5 DP's this year, 3 P2's, and a Delta Thing for the full season.