Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 4 Mar 2015, 18:37 (Ref:3511746)   #376
LeonardBernstein
Rookie

LeonardBernstein should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nice to see the grid filling up a bit, still think that BRDC F4 is going to win out in the war for the biggest grid against MSA.

Speaking of which, why has Sennan Fielding gone to that series?!? Disastrous career move IMO.
Old 4 Mar 2015, 19:16 (Ref:3511759)   #377
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm guessing lack of budget has forced Fielding to go there. He'll almost certainly get a top 2 in the championship there which is no bad thing, but was talking about GP3 and when that seemed to fall through iirc Ginetta GT4 SuperCup was mentioned but I was very surprised to see him in MSA F4.

I think BRDC F4 being established is what helps here, although it seems that both will co-exist nicely in 2015.

Albert could be a contender. SWR came good at the end of last season (due in part to Palou???) and Albert himself looked handy. I'm thinking a top 5 candidate here, but can't see past Lanan, HHC or di Mauro for the title.
Old 4 Mar 2015, 19:19 (Ref:3511760)   #378
fergus_r
Veteran

United Kingdom
fergus_r should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfergus_r should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfergus_r should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonardBernstein View Post
Nice to see the grid filling up a bit, still think that BRDC F4 is going to win out in the war for the biggest grid against MSA.

Speaking of which, why has Sennan Fielding gone to that series?!? Disastrous career move IMO.
I think it's fair to say MSA Formula is getting the better drivers though, and to attract teams like Carlin, Arden and Fortec is a major coup.

It initially seemed like Fielding was going to sportscars or GT racing, which would've been the better move for him. I agree, in his position, going to MSA Formula is a step down. Especially if he then gets beaten by drivers straight out of karting- I'm not saying that will definitely happen- but it's a big risk to take.

By my count BRDC F4 is now on 16. They just need a few more to equal MSA Formula.
Old 4 Mar 2015, 21:11 (Ref:3511802)   #379
BtccLee
Veteran

BtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by fergus_r View Post
I think it's fair to say MSA Formula is getting the better drivers though, and to attract teams like Carlin, Arden and Fortec is a major coup.

It initially seemed like Fielding was going to sportscars or GT racing, which would've been the better move for him. I agree, in his position, going to MSA Formula is a step down. Especially if he then gets beaten by drivers straight out of karting- I'm not saying that will definitely happen- but it's a big risk to take.

By my count BRDC F4 is now on 16. They just need a few more to equal MSA Formula.
MSA Formula is on 14 according to MN. Needs at least 20 to qualify the hype. Starting to doubt it will...
Old 4 Mar 2015, 22:19 (Ref:3511824)   #380
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It probably will but I think it will be quantity rather than quality that fill the seats. In both series I think most if not all of the big announcements are done...
Old 4 Mar 2015, 22:23 (Ref:3511826)   #381
kotkot
Racer

Hungary
Budapest
kotkot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Above a certain level, grid size is just a number. By my estimates both championships will have about 20 entries, which is absolutely fine.

However, MSA Formula will have all the good names, mainly because all of them (Norris, Ahmed, Ticktum) are too young to race in BRDC F4. In BRDC F4 I can't really name anyone who is just nearly as exciting as Russell or Maini were last year.

We can say MSA has won the battle as they have much more talent this year but similarly to FIA F3, being to competitive will take its toll in the following season...
Old 5 Mar 2015, 00:01 (Ref:3511848)   #382
fergus_r
Veteran

United Kingdom
fergus_r should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfergus_r should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfergus_r should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BtccLee View Post
MSA Formula is on 14 according to MN. Needs at least 20 to qualify the hype. Starting to doubt it will...
I can tell you for certain, the grid is around 18-19 at the moment.

What 'hype' are you talking about- the 32 car grid nonsense? I said it before and will say it again, 32 cars were sold to teams but that means nothing! It was never an announcement that 32 seats had been filled and that number of cars would take to the track at the start of the year...(Brands Indy is limited to 28 single seaters anyway, if they ever got to that number).

To even have nearly 20 cars is impressive, considering we are in another situation with two championships in competition.

I agree with the posts above, the real measure of the field is quality of drivers and MSA Formula certainly has that over BRDC F4 at the moment, and the top teams to go with it.
Old 5 Mar 2015, 06:31 (Ref:3511917)   #383
LeonardBernstein
Rookie

LeonardBernstein should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think we'll be able to tell which series has the upper hand until later in the year, perhaps next season. BRDC F4's grid numbers have been strong enough throughout the season over the past two years.

MSA Formula has a half-decent number of drivers right now but once it becomes apparent that you need to spend a fortune to run with Carlin, Arden, or Fortec to be near the front I can see numbers dwindling in the smaller teams - Just like Formula Renault and F3. BRDC F4, on the other hand, doesn't cost as much and you can be competitive with a greater number of teams.
Old 5 Mar 2015, 07:59 (Ref:3511937)   #384
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
They both have advantages and disadvantages compared to each other, so I'm hoping that they co-exist for a few years both providing a lot of talent for the future.
Old 6 Mar 2015, 13:06 (Ref:3512467)   #385
EastonNeston
Veteran

EastonNeston should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It will be interesting to see how many teams remain in MSV F4 when the new car is introduced for 2016. I believ
e the purchase terms were not very good for the cash flow of the teams involved.
Old 10 Mar 2015, 12:36 (Ref:3513659)   #386
Clervaux
Rookie

Clervaux should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Argentinean driver Hernan Fallas has signed up with Mark Godwin Racing. He has raced single-seaters in his home country but this will be his first season racing in Europe.

http://www.formula4.com/news/argenti...-with-mgr.aspx
Old 15 Mar 2015, 21:18 (Ref:3515580)   #387
brakedisc
Racer

brakedisc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There was a BRDC F4 car out testing at Knockhill today.

Looks like Dario has been pulling some strings.
Old 16 Mar 2015, 08:45 (Ref:3515720)   #388
Clervaux
Rookie

Hmm interesting. Hope to hear something announced about that soon. Akhil Rabindra is latest driver to join the grid in the meantime. Don't know much about his background but was part of the FIA Institute Young Driver Excellence Academy so could be handy.
Old 23 Mar 2015, 14:35 (Ref:3518631)   #389
shatners bassoon
Rookie

shatners bassoon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Blimey! Plenty of driver news in BRDC F4 today, the Ecurie Ecosse/Dario Franchitti/Allan McNish one is pretty good with Ciaran Haggerty! Looks like a large grid that could surpass 20 cars now and a number of fast drivers. Should be another very good year
Old 23 Mar 2015, 15:51 (Ref:3518647)   #390
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Haggerty is a steal. Of course he's only raced in club series but just the stature of his team and contacts suggests this move is a big one for the series as well.

As for the other 2 announced, well...
Old 27 Mar 2015, 07:38 (Ref:3520194)   #391
BtccLee
Veteran

BtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm intrigued by the F4/MSA dynamic. If in the year MSA Formula should have an advantage, due to the age limit, it doesn't then surely when F4 goes FIA specification it will wipe MSA Formula off the face of the earth. I hoped they'd co-exist. I'm certain now they won't. And add in budgets. This could be a very expensive party for a year. And then everyone goes where it's that much cheaper.
Old 27 Mar 2015, 14:11 (Ref:3520333)   #392
EastonNeston
Veteran

You will find that MSA Formula has teams with a stronger background in single seater racing, including three of the most successful teams over the past 15 years, (Fortec, Carlin & Arden), as well as teams with a good history in national racing (SWB, JTR, Pyro & Falcon).
The above, combined with the restrictive purchase conditions for the new MSV F4 cars, combined with a better TV and media package, & racing at a wider range of circuits,suggests to me that long term MSA formula will be more successful.
Old 27 Mar 2015, 15:47 (Ref:3520390)   #393
BtccLee
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastonNeston View Post
You will find that MSA Formula has teams with a stronger background in single seater racing, including three of the most successful teams over the past 15 years, (Fortec, Carlin & Arden), as well as teams with a good history in national racing (SWB, JTR, Pyro & Falcon).
The above, combined with the restrictive purchase conditions for the new MSV F4 cars, combined with a better TV and media package, & racing at a wider range of circuits,suggests to me that long term MSA formula will be more successful.
The purchasing terms and the money given back to the BRDC teams in return for the new machinery was actually, I would say, Formula 4's strongest point. What do you mean by restrictive purchase conditions? If I may ask, without wishing to be impolite or ignorant.
Old 27 Mar 2015, 20:52 (Ref:3520590)   #394
EastonNeston
Veteran

The information is all publicly available.
I have neither the time or inclination to do your research!
Old 28 Mar 2015, 12:58 (Ref:3520934)   #395
FBMan
Rookie

FBMan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"With immediate effect, MSV invites applications from all interested parties to purchase its new F4 cars and enter the 2016 BRDC F4 Championship. Existing BRDC F4 teams will have first option on the cars. The cost of upgrading to the new car for existing BRDC F4 teams will be around £20,000 per car including MSV’s buy-back of F4-013 cars for £15,000."

http://f4-staging.motorsportvision.c...-supplier.aspx

Seems good and fair business practice to me... particularly after picking up a newly acquired existing F4 car in my truck recently. The owner now joins the Championship and has the option to buy the new car. MSV are supporting the teams who support the Championship.
Old 28 Mar 2015, 16:12 (Ref:3521077)   #396
BtccLee
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBMan View Post
"With immediate effect, MSV invites applications from all interested parties to purchase its new F4 cars and enter the 2016 BRDC F4 Championship. Existing BRDC F4 teams will have first option on the cars. The cost of upgrading to the new car for existing BRDC F4 teams will be around £20,000 per car including MSV’s buy-back of F4-013 cars for £15,000."

http://f4-staging.motorsportvision.c...-supplier.aspx

Seems good and fair business practice to me... particularly after picking up a newly acquired existing F4 car in my truck recently. The owner now joins the Championship and has the option to buy the new car. MSV are supporting the teams who support the Championship.
Exactly my thoughts and exactly as I was aware. Anyone care to elaborate on what's so wrong with that?
Old 30 Mar 2015, 20:00 (Ref:3521957)   #397
Clervaux
Rookie

Seems fair enough to me and should mean that any teams from outside looking to enter the championship are expressing genuine interest in competing.

Anyway, latest driver announcement is Michael O'Brien, son of former BTCC racer Mike, for Mark Godwin Racing. Not a heap of experience but showed decent speed last year in Formula Ford so could be an interesting one.
Old 6 Apr 2015, 20:59 (Ref:3524477)   #398
Clervaux
Rookie

Very interesting opening weekend of BRDC F4 with three different winners in Palmer, Mealin and Albert. Haggerty looks extremely talented as well, will be one to watch throughout the season.
Old 7 Apr 2015, 07:04 (Ref:3524564)   #399
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
I was impressed by Lanzetti and Newey too. Seems like another talented grid. Palmer has to be the title favourite though.
Old 7 Apr 2015, 11:43 (Ref:3524654)   #400
andrewc
Veteran

andrewc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It can't be easy for HHC - on one side of the awning you're running the son of the boss of the series, and on the other side of the awning you've got Adrian Newey keeping a watchful eye on proceedings!