Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Closed Thread

Old 5 Jan 2012, 11:07 (Ref:3007620)   #376
alexkiller8
Veteran

alexkiller8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Rosputnik View Post
Going back to WEC I wonder how these Honda's going to fair against the diesels?
highcroft reached the second place last year at sebring also because of peugeot #7 -audi #2 crash, audi #1 puncture problems and peugeot #8 lamy mistakes. But in a "normal" situation, a petrol powered lmp1 simply can't have the pace of diesel cars.
Old 5 Jan 2012, 11:19 (Ref:3007631)   #377
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexkiller8 View Post
But in a "normal" situation, a petrol powered lmp1 simply can't have the pace of diesel cars.
That is not what Toyota thinks. It is more correct to say that privateer cars can normally not match the pace of factory cars.
Old 5 Jan 2012, 11:22 (Ref:3007633)   #378
lms
Veteran

lms should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
highcroft reached the second place last year at sebring also because of peugeot #7 -audi #2 crash, audi #1 puncture problems and peugeot #8 lamy mistakes. But in a "normal" situation, a petrol powered lmp1 simply can't have the pace of diesel cars.
but this will be a different car with more aero development.

higher res pics at e-i.
http://www.endurance-info.com/versio...ance-9193.html
Old 5 Jan 2012, 11:41 (Ref:3007638)   #379
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
LMP1 Petrol 'class' is shaping up to be awesome for 2012. So excited for Sebring!
Old 5 Jan 2012, 11:42 (Ref:3007640)   #380
alexkiller8
Veteran

alexkiller8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In my opinion (the same of OAK), in 2012 the cars for sure will be more aero developed than 2011, but the gain will penalized by the fenders and other mandatory stuff, for sure also peugeot and audi will have a bettere aero developed car in 2012 than the 2011 version, but will they be able to run with better taplimes of 2011 with a 2012 less powerfull and aero-penalized car?
Answering to gwyllion, for sure factory team are more performant than private teams, but speaking about petrol/diesel there is no chance however. In 2009 and 2010 the prodrive work team of AMR was the best "petrol" team (beating also the kolles two r10) but couldn't do a thing against audi and peugeot when was racing against.... about toyota i don't think they have the illusion to be victorious at LM against audi and peugeot; but for sure admit to don't be able to win the race isn't the best slogan for a brand new car
Old 5 Jan 2012, 11:51 (Ref:3007641)   #381
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!
The Aston Martin effort was no true works effort anywhere near the level of Audi & Peugeot. The car was based on a customer Lola and used a GT1 derived engine.

Since the Diesels are racing, we have never seen a proper works petrol effort - Toyota will be the first and I have little doubt that the car will be competitive.

Works efforts have always been way ahead of the privateer competition, back in 2000 Audi was four seconds ahead of the first privateer entry without any fuel difference and without any works effort close on their tails to push them.

These gaps have always been there, only since the Diesels appeared it has become a reason for outcry. Teams like Pescarolo that operate on a shoestring budget can simply never compete with a big manufacturer outfit and especially not two of them that push each other beyond any limits.

I blame the 2005 race for these misconceptions, people saw that Pescarolo was suddenly competitive but fail to understand the reasons behind that, it was only because Audi was forced to compete with an arm tied behind their backs and the R8 having reached the end of it's development cycle.
Old 5 Jan 2012, 12:55 (Ref:3007664)   #382
NelisB
Veteran

Netherlands
Deventer
NelisB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid09 View Post
The Aston Martin effort was no true works effort anywhere near the level of Audi & Peugeot. The car was based on a customer Lola and used a GT1 derived engine.

Since the Diesels are racing, we have never seen a proper works petrol effort - Toyota will be the first and I have little doubt that the car will be competitive.

Works efforts have always been way ahead of the privateer competition, back in 2000 Audi was four seconds ahead of the first privateer entry without any fuel difference and without any works effort close on their tails to push them.

These gaps have always been there, only since the Diesels appeared it has become a reason for outcry. Teams like Pescarolo that operate on a shoestring budget can simply never compete with a big manufacturer outfit and especially not two of them that push each other beyond any limits.

I blame the 2005 race for these misconceptions, people saw that Pescarolo was suddenly competitive but fail to understand the reasons behind that, it was only because Audi was forced to compete with an arm tied behind their backs and the R8 having reached the end of it's development cycle.
2005 had, from every point, an unfair advantage for the Pescarolo's. But the weirdest thing is that Pescarolo still expected to be competitive with the same car in 2011.
In 2005 he could have won it. The Audi's were pulled back enough to make sure the Pescarolo's had a way better power to weight ratio. But they didn't due to mistakes and technical failures. To make a fuss about a unfair advantage for the diesels in 2011 when his team is driving around with a car that's 5 years old is just bordering on ridiculous.
Old 5 Jan 2012, 15:40 (Ref:3007730)   #383
I Rosputnik
Veteran

United Kingdom
Livingston, Scotland
I Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridI Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A Q&A with James Rumsey on why they made the switch.

Seems like JRM has bigger plans.
Old 5 Jan 2012, 15:48 (Ref:3007733)   #384
NelisB
Veteran

Netherlands
Deventer
NelisB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Rosputnik View Post
Biggest motivation is to get picked up by a manufacturer and become a factory team in the near future. This might bode well for a Nissan entry. They've looked at a LMP2 with a Oreca-Nissan but decided against it because a LMP1 get's more exposure and will get them better sponsors. Pure speculation but maybe they expect Nissan to step up with them.
Old 5 Jan 2012, 15:59 (Ref:3007739)   #385
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Or maybe they hope to become a HPD factory team.

Anyway Nissan and Honda will probably not return before 2014.
Old 5 Jan 2012, 16:12 (Ref:3007745)   #386
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NelisB View Post
2005 had, from every point, an unfair advantage for the Pescarolo's. But the weirdest thing is that Pescarolo still expected to be competitive with the same car in 2011.
In 2005 he could have won it. The Audi's were pulled back enough to make sure the Pescarolo's had a way better power to weight ratio. But they didn't due to mistakes and technical failures. To make a fuss about a unfair advantage for the diesels in 2011 when his team is driving around with a car that's 5 years old is just bordering on ridiculous.
Believe that Pescarolo had a new car in 2009.
Old 5 Jan 2012, 17:33 (Ref:3007761)   #387
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Consider too since then petrol cars recieved a small restrictor increase prior to Le Mans (something most didn't use with little time to test engine reliability), and this winter diesels recieved something around 7% restrictor cut. There's obvious benefits from factory support, but the privateer Highcroft HPD went into the race with little testing, and Rebellion's Lola-Toyota's recieved new developments throughout the year.
Quote:
Q. What motivated the decision to graduate to LMP1 for 2012?

James Rumsey: It was a commercial decision: the money seems to be there for LMP1 in comparison to GT1. FIA GT1 is still finding its feet commercially, while the sponsorship acquisition potential of the WEC and Le Mans in particular is very good. LMP1 is manufacturer-led and they are really getting behind the WEC. The hope is that we can tag onto the back of that.

Q. Was LMP1 the only option when considering a move into the WEC?

JR: We started off looking at LMP2 with the ORECA-Nissan and evaluating it against other packages out there. We then started to compare LMP2 against LMP1 and saw that with P1 there was the potential for sponsorship to offset the cost of the programme.
These are two of the most interesting points, commercial opportunities are promising for the WEC, but also some sponsors maybe willing to up their funding to cover increased costs in P1.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/96894
Old 5 Jan 2012, 18:04 (Ref:3007768)   #388
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post
.These are two of the most interesting points, commercial opportunities are promising for the WEC, but also some sponsors maybe willing to up their funding to cover increased costs in P1.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/96894
Absolutely - if there are sponsors in the marketplace expect more teams to try and tap into it.
Old 5 Jan 2012, 18:15 (Ref:3007773)   #389
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
The big commercial advantage of the WEC is that you get a guaranteed Le Mans entry.
Old 5 Jan 2012, 18:18 (Ref:3007775)   #390
J.C.
Racer

United States
Sleepy Hollow, New York
J.C. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NelisB View Post
Biggest motivation is to get picked up by a manufacturer and become a factory team in the near future. This might bode well for a Nissan entry. They've looked at a LMP2 with a Oreca-Nissan but decided against it because a LMP1 get's more exposure and will get them better sponsors. Pure speculation but maybe they expect Nissan to step up with them.
I would love to see Nissan to start a LMP1 program again. When I first saw the headlines JRM to LMP1. I was thinking, ok its going to be a Nissan powered car. Nope... its a Honda HPD. Just thinking about it, seems like a slap in the face to Nissan. Becasue Nissan hired this program to develop there new GT3 car. Hopefully this will push Nissan to get back into LMP1 in the near future.
Old 5 Jan 2012, 18:20 (Ref:3007779)   #391
J.C.
Racer

United States
Sleepy Hollow, New York
J.C. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.C. View Post
I would love to see Nissan to start a LMP1 program again. When I first saw the headlines JRM to LMP1. I was thinking, ok its going to be a Nissan powered car. Nope... its a Honda HPD. Just thinking about it, seems like a slap in the face to Nissan. Becasue Nissan hired this program to develop there new GT3 car. Hopefully this will push Nissan to get back into LMP1 in the near future.
But then again, Nissan only hired them for GT3
Old 5 Jan 2012, 18:37 (Ref:3007792)   #392
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It's been an oustanding winter considering its a global recession for the World Championship in terms of entries.

A top 10 finish would be an achievment for JRM.

10 years ago or maybe even 5, it would be expected that a GT car would finish well inside the top 10. A Corvette ran 4th on Saturday afternoon at Le Mans in 2004. That's unthinkable now!

The quality of the sportscar field has risen ridiculously fast. Can't wait for the season to start now.
Old 5 Jan 2012, 23:19 (Ref:3007940)   #393
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Looks like the LMP2 field is about to grow once again tomorrow if the rumours are to be believed.
Old 6 Jan 2012, 00:14 (Ref:3007959)   #394
Marcel ten Caat
Veteran

Netherlands
The Netherlands
Marcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMarcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nah ;-)
Old 6 Jan 2012, 00:21 (Ref:3007965)   #395
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Could these be the mystery Lola B12's announced before Christmas? The ones speculated to be Jet Alliance...
Old 6 Jan 2012, 00:22 (Ref:3007966)   #396
Marcel ten Caat
Veteran

Netherlands
The Netherlands
Marcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMarcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Or could it be a driver announcement....we'll see in 8.5 hours from now.
Old 6 Jan 2012, 00:34 (Ref:3007974)   #397
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ok, so Elton Julian is taking his funding to a P2 effort in the WEC?
Old 6 Jan 2012, 03:55 (Ref:3008003)   #398
911targa
Veteran

Taiwan
911targa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is it possible that Hankook-Farnbacher sold their F458 GTE MY2011 to Krohn and switch to prototype project? Just a guess.
Old 6 Jan 2012, 06:11 (Ref:3008013)   #399
Salamus
Veteran

Canada
Ontario
Salamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Is it possible that Hankook-Farnbacher sold their F458 GTE MY2011 to Krohn and switch to prototype project? Just a guess.
That would be great but I think Farnbacher is done with sportscar racing. I think they are only going to race their GT3 458 in ADAC and do Nurburgring 24.
Old 6 Jan 2012, 07:36 (Ref:3008030)   #400
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salamus View Post
That would be great but I think Farnbacher is done with sportscar racing. I think they are only going to race their GT3 458 in ADAC and do Nurburgring 24.
Source?
Closed Thread