Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

View Poll Results: So... which pairing is going to win?
#1 Courtney/McConville - HRT Commodore 2 1.82%
#2 Tander/Percat - HRT Commodore 8 7.27%
#3 D'Alberto/Wood - TDR Falcon 0 0%
#4 A.Davison/Brabham - SBR Falcon 1 0.91%
#5 Winterbottom/Richards - FPR Falcon 9 8.18%
#6 W.Davison/Youlden - FPR Falcon 2 1.82%
#7 T.Kelly/Russell - KR Commodore 0 0%
#8 Bright/Jones - BJR Commodore 4 3.64%
#9 van Gisbergen/McIntyre - SBR Falcon 21 19.09%
#11 Murphy/Simonsen - KR Commodore 2 1.82%
#12 Fiore/Patrizi - FFF Falcon 0 0%
#14 Bargwanna/Price - BJR Commodore 0 0%
#15 R.Kelly/O.Kelly - KR Commodore 0 0%
#16 Reynolds/Blanchard - KR Commodore 1 0.91%
#17 Johnson/Besnard - DJR Falcon 8 7.27%
#18 Moffat/Halliday - DJR Falcon 0 0%
#19 Webb/Lyons - Tekno Falcon 0 0%
#21 Reindler/Wall - BJR Commodore 0 0%
#30 Luff/Pretty - LDM Commodore 0 0%
#33 Holdsworth/Ritter - GRM Commodore 1 0.91%
#34 Caruso/Marshall - GRM Commodore 0 0%
#200 Ingall/Perkins - PMM Commodore 2 1.82%
#47 Slade/Gaunt - SBR Falcon 0 0%
#49 Owen/Morris - PMM Commodore 0 0%
#55 Dumbrell/Canto - FPR Falcon 0 0%
#61 Coulthard/Baird - HRT Commodore 0 0%
#77 Denyer/Waters - KR Commodore 1 0.91%
#88 Whincup/Thompson - 888 Commodore 7 6.36%
#888 Lowndes/Skaife - 888 Commodore 41 37.27%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Old 9 Oct 2011, 08:44 (Ref:2967966)   #376
Dazz
Veteran

Dazz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For anyone who missed Jason Bright giving NASCAR great Darrell Waltrip his first taste of a V8 Supercar around Mount Panorama, it's worth watching!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dr1a81v-zsg
Old 9 Oct 2011, 09:36 (Ref:2967980)   #377
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Ryan Walkinshaw looks like a Bond villain...
Doesn't he just? I've seen some criticism of him here but I can't say his influence has been a bad thing - HRT really seems to have turned the corner since the big restructure. Business as usual I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaroo Park View Post
Besnard is just about to drive out the track. I hope the radio is working so someone can tell him when to brake for up coming intersections
I guess in the heat of the moment its easy to forget, I mean we've seen Wayne Gardiner do it, and I've seen Russell Ingall do it - really the engineer shouldn't forget. I could tell Bezzy was annoyed with himself, but so was the team manager.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazz View Post
Lowndes's relentless chase on Tander from way back in the pack was brilliant, as was Tander's defense of his position. One has to wonder if Lowndes and Skaife didn't have to keep queuing behind Whincup if the result would have been different?
Absolutely fantastic - I was cheering on Lowndes, but I was with one buddy who is a staunch HRT fan and another an FPR fan and I can say all three of us loved the result. It was fair, it was just, and everybody involved enjoyed the epic battle.

Most exciting end since 2007?
Old 9 Oct 2011, 09:43 (Ref:2967983)   #378
TSR
Veteran

Australia
Sutherland Shire
TSR has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Ryan Walkinshaw looks like a Bond villain...
He Does
2015 V8Supercar Champion #5 PDA Mark Frosty Winterbottom
To Finish First, First you must Finish
Old 9 Oct 2011, 09:54 (Ref:2967990)   #379
Micklegend
Veteran

Australia
Canberra
Micklegend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMicklegend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does anyone think Mr Dutton should be hauled over the coals for instructing Whincup to hold up the field? Not exactly in the spirit of motor racing and cost a number of cars track position behind the SC. His drivers car was in trouble, race was effectively gone yet it set a few guys back 4 positions.
Sure there are things that happen during a motor race but this was crook in my opinion.
Great finish to the race, well done to Percat and Thompson for their drives today. Well done CL for taking the championship lead too.
Old 9 Oct 2011, 10:01 (Ref:2967993)   #380
TSR
Veteran

Australia
Sutherland Shire
TSR has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micklegend View Post
Does anyone think Mr Dutton should be hauled over the coals for instructing Whincup to hold up the field? Not exactly in the spirit of motor racing and cost a number of cars track position behind the SC. His drivers car was in trouble, race was effectively gone yet it set a few guys back 4 positions.
Sure there are things that happen during a motor race but this was crook in my opinion.
Great finish to the race, well done to Percat and Thompson for their drives today. Well done CL for taking the championship lead too.
Agree
2015 V8Supercar Champion #5 PDA Mark Frosty Winterbottom
To Finish First, First you must Finish
Old 9 Oct 2011, 10:11 (Ref:2967996)   #381
MattV
Racer

Australia
Sydney
MattV should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Question: If Murph had an Australian co-driver, could he have finished better than third, or was third the best it was going to get?
Old 9 Oct 2011, 10:14 (Ref:2967998)   #382
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattV View Post
Question: If Murph had an Australian co-driver, could he have finished better than third, or was third the best it was going to get?
Simonsen is pretty handy but he did seem to go backwards about as fast as Paul Morris did.

I think Murph alluded to the car setup though being pretty evil.
Old 9 Oct 2011, 10:17 (Ref:2968001)   #383
SilverSpeed
Racer

Australia
Australia
SilverSpeed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattV View Post

Set up was abit of a dog today...would have been lucky for a Top 5
Old 9 Oct 2011, 10:35 (Ref:2968009)   #384
HDTVKSS
Veteran

HDTVKSS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In regards to the Besnard BBQ and how fast they put it out, how much of that was down to the E85? they seemed to be able to put it out almost instantly, infact it looked like it was going out even before they got the extinguishers on it?

If so, its a great argument beyond the enviro factors for ethanol based fuel.

i would have thought if that had been normal oil based fuel the situation would have been much worse? great job by the marshalls in either case,. i for one held my breath there.
Old 9 Oct 2011, 12:18 (Ref:2968044)   #385
Smokey Retirement
Racer

Australia
Pit Lane
Smokey Retirement should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Was it just my bad hearing or was the DJR Team Manager referring to David Besnard as Greg when talking about the incident and not pumping up the pedal? I might be wrong. (and it wouldnt really suprise me if I was hearing things)
Old 9 Oct 2011, 13:24 (Ref:2968067)   #386
1200Datto27
Veteran

Australia
Croydon
1200Datto27 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
The engineer for the Johnson/Besnard cars name is Greg, and apparently his radio stopped working just before the pitstop, leading to the issues that they had.
Old 9 Oct 2011, 13:53 (Ref:2968078)   #387
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCosworthPanoz View Post
Uh oh get ready for angry F1 fans in the U.S.
Ding Ding Ding, looks like it happened.

Angry American F1 fans everywhere on facebook because SPEED actually bothered to show to finish of Bathurst and show F1 a whopping 20 minutes/10 laps delayed, but here is the best part, they aired the entire race flag to flag and they still complained. Then, they were complaining about being spoiled (because of 20 mins time delay) despite being on facebook.

Everybody else (including many F1 fans) really enjoyed the 1000 though and it seems there was a lot of interest for this race on American websites, forums, and Americans on social networks. It also seems that the entire Indycar field watched the race! Well, except Danica... Jimmie Johnson and other top NASCAR starts were watching as well. Never thought Id see the day where Bathurst was being aired live on the bigscreen down at the local Pub here in Bermuda.
Old 9 Oct 2011, 14:24 (Ref:2968086)   #388
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
One of the best races I have ever watched, just brilliant the last four laps was edge of the seat stuff..

I am really looking forward to the V8 Supercars coming to Austin..

I would have been upset if they had cut away early for the Japanese Grand Prix..

Craig Lowndes simply a phenomenal driver..
Old 9 Oct 2011, 19:55 (Ref:2968224)   #389
porsche91722
Veteran

Australia
S.E.Qld
porsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Nobody likes the full course yellows, but surely there must be an argument to have two safety cars splitting the field at Bathurst. There were many occasions in yesterdays race where many teams got a free kick to rejoin the leaders when they were way back in the field and clawed their way back into contention. With Bathurst being 6+ klms around, it presently makes for a nail biting finish, but it is a contrived way to do it. The commentary team was nagging on and on about 161 laps of the race and so many cars being on the same lap towards the end.
Yeah....... right.
Old 9 Oct 2011, 20:48 (Ref:2968251)   #390
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSpeed View Post
Murphy fluked a Pole and certian to finish in the back end of the Top 10.
Good thing the luck held out for another 161 laps... Seriously, you don't get podium in a 1000k race without some talent and strategy, wherever or however you qualified.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugger All View Post
2. He owes two very professional fire marshals a shed load of Jim Beam!!!
Definitely not. It's rubbish for putting out fires...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVKSS View Post
In regards to the Besnard BBQ and how fast they put it out, how much of that was down to the E85? they seemed to be able to put it out almost instantly, infact it looked like it was going out even before they got the extinguishers on it?
Not a lot, I think it's just that the colour of flame from E85 is less intense so it won't have shown up so well on television. A fire of that magnitude is just as hot and just as significant whatever the fuel is. A very good job done by the marshals. Greatly assisted, it has to be said, by the right equipment (and the lack thereof is something that has been highlighted in a couple of other threads).
Old 9 Oct 2011, 22:44 (Ref:2968327)   #391
Micklegend
Veteran

Australia
Canberra
Micklegend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMicklegend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
Both guys did an awesome job in the end, good clean close racing.
Old 9 Oct 2011, 23:47 (Ref:2968351)   #392
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCosworthPanoz View Post
Everybody else (including many F1 fans) really enjoyed the 1000 though and it seems there was a lot of interest for this race on American websites, forums, and Americans on social networks. It also seems that the entire Indycar field watched the race! Well, except Danica... Jimmie Johnson and other top NASCAR starts were watching as well. Never thought Id see the day where Bathurst was being aired live on the bigscreen down at the local Pub here in Bermuda.
Great points and I feel this awesome event is finally getting some recognition and the attention it deserves. Comments were made by several drivers and team principles that it is an event that you run on Sunday and you are ready to run it all over again on Monday...well, it's still Sunday for me, but I am ready to go again! I still am in somewhat disbelief that I was actually able to view it all the way through and LIVE!

SPEEDtv did OK; even DW wasn't too annoying although I was ready for him to stick a sock in it towards the end. His ride along lap with Brightly was very amusing as he was expecting a more "leisurely" pace . Only complaint, besides the ridiculous amount of commercials, was that they missed just about EVERY restart, mostly because they were busy talking stockcars. THAT was rather annoying. Glad they stayed with it for the last 20 laps or so, as that was an absolute EPIC battle.

Good stuff, Australia! Your race is GREAT, indeed.
Old 10 Oct 2011, 01:05 (Ref:2968369)   #393
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
nah, DW was great at the end of the race.
Old 10 Oct 2011, 04:29 (Ref:2968413)   #394
1200Datto27
Veteran

Australia
Croydon
1200Datto27 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
From my understanding of DW's drive, the quickest lap that Brighty did with DW in the car was around a 2:25, so not particularly fast lap by way of a V8 Supercar.
Old 10 Oct 2011, 04:53 (Ref:2968426)   #395
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
He is good for sure, but also in the best team by far - glad he didnt win, sick of Team Vodafone...
Congrats to Garth & Nick Percat on the win
Old 10 Oct 2011, 04:58 (Ref:2968428)   #396
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200Datto27 View Post
From my understanding of DW's drive, the quickest lap that Brighty did with DW in the car was around a 2:25, so not particularly fast lap by way of a V8 Supercar.
Fastest lap during the ride along was a 2:12.
Old 10 Oct 2011, 05:06 (Ref:2968433)   #397
Sandgroper
Veteran

Australia
Perth WA (south of the river)
Sandgroper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaroo Park View Post
What a load of absolute rubbish. Besnard said he wasn't told to pump the brakes after the pad change so consequently he didn't and had no brakes at the end of Mountain straight. He said he needs to take "Some of the blame". No you need to take all the blame David, your behind the while your driving the car if you cant remebr to do the simplest of operations like pump the brake pedal after a pit stop then I suggest this will be the last time your asked to Bathurst.

Dumbest comment of the weekend by DB.

"he didnt tell me" give me a break !
Old 10 Oct 2011, 05:42 (Ref:2968439)   #398
St00ge
Veteran

St00ge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
yeah but you listen to likes of 888, HRT, FPR they drum into the new driver "pump the brakes, adjust roll bars, etc" after the pitstop no matter what the drivers "knows" is happening during the pit stop; all drivers need a friendly reminder, no doubt he managed to do the 4 out of 5 things he needed to get done when he hoped into #17....

I think this just highlights some of the problems in the pit bunker for DJR just as much as DB screw up
Old 10 Oct 2011, 05:46 (Ref:2968440)   #399
E36ST
Racer

New Zealand
NZ
E36ST should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wonder how much endurance racing those posters have done who are quick to suggest that Besnard may be something of a muppet for forgetting to pump the brake pedal.

It's important to remember that endurance racing is vastly different to sprint racing. Pumping the pedal is a very unusual event and not something done every day. You also have to consider that his mind would have been highly focussed on psyching himself up for the next stint, and probably would have still been focussed on this aspect as he was sitting in the car.

Because the driver is so highly focussed on other things, it falls to the crew chief to run through the procedure of what to do & when.

I have to put my hand up and say that coming up to a driver change after a 90 minute stint in a recent 12 hour I would have forgotten to loosen my belts off & remember to remove the steering wheel before jumping out if it wasn't for my crew chief reminding me. That was something that I knew to do and something that we had gone over several times before hand but it just completely slipped my mind. That may not sound like such a big deal compared to making sure that brakes are working(!) but they're all things that have to be done.

When you're racing as part of a team you have to rely on each crew member playing their part and in this case the crew chief has to accept responsibility. (Team Vodafone really excel in this area). Hardly fair & reasonable to blame the driver in my opinion.
Old 10 Oct 2011, 05:49 (Ref:2968442)   #400
Mixer
Veteran

I feel for DB, in the heat of battle sometimes its easy to forget these things, but yes I feel the engineer should be the one to stay calm and remind the drivers of these things.

That said, DB should have shouldered the blame, I'm sure the team would have said there was at least equal blame.

Then again I dunno what I would say if I stacked the car out of the biggest race of the year in a huge barbeque either!