Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 16 Mar 2008, 18:29 (Ref:2153929)   #376
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Funny, isn't it, how we all seem to see the Coulthard-Massa incident differently? A lot of disagreement to say we've all seen the same pictures of it.
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 16 Mar 2008, 18:36 (Ref:2153942)   #377
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Yes I noticed that reading back through the thread!

I believe it was a case of half asleep, past it driver getting in the way of a red mist covered recovery driver. Unfortunate incident and highly avoidable. But I just don't get DC's point!!! He even said Massa was in a muc faster car, so it must've been obvious Felipe was going put the move on him...

chuckle....

and chuckle again......
Old 16 Mar 2008, 18:58 (Ref:2153973)   #378
Sev
Veteran

Sev has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Wow, I'm loving the removal of traction control. People were all over the place!

I think Coulthard has got to stop being so bloody self-righteous. Yes, Massa was way over optimistic. But similarly, Coulthard missed his chance to close the door. He saw him coming...and got what he deserved.

Fantastic race, hope the rest are all like it!
Old 16 Mar 2008, 19:00 (Ref:2153976)   #379
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
DC closed the door on Massa who was driving a much faster car...David's brain fade..
Old 16 Mar 2008, 19:09 (Ref:2153988)   #380
LeLutin
Rookie

LeLutin has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Definately DC's fault.

Massa had slowed considerably, as he watched DC turn in on him. He had dropped his pace so much so, that he literally crawled to the exit apex of T2.

We're meant to be encouraging overtaking in F1. DC didn't do this.

Anyone fighting DC's corner should simply watch a replay and notice how easy it would've been for DC to keep a competative line AND keep Massa behind him by just giving a Ferrari width of room on T1...

...as for swearing on TV, perhaps this illustrates his own frustration.
Old 16 Mar 2008, 19:18 (Ref:2153998)   #381
TheKing
Racer

United States
TheKing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Hans
I don't think he does punch the air. I think he raises his hand to the side of his head, to remove a tear-off, then realises he's hit the speed limiter and quickly moves his hand back to switch it off.

Why would he punch the air anyway? He'd been 2nd for most of the race, and by your theory, had just finished 4th. Hardly cause for celebration.
The only reason I can think he was celebrating is that he got Alonso on (what he thought was) the last lap? Maybe not! I guess we'll never know. It does seem a bit strange him celebrating fourth...
Old 16 Mar 2008, 19:51 (Ref:2154034)   #382
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Kimi Raikkonen, what's going on ? I think he can lose the Iceman trademark now.

I agree with some of the comments about Massa. On his day he is electric, but I think he's lacking that final 1% that'd put him up as WDC material.
Old 16 Mar 2008, 20:43 (Ref:2154093)   #383
bosch!
Veteran

New Zealand-Maori
GodZone
bosch! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith
DC closed the door on Massa who was driving a much faster car...David's brain fade..
Kimi spent 19 laps chasing Rubins without feeling the need to barge past, Massa was over committed DC closed the door as he is entitled to do. If you look at the first impact (at the apex) it was back of sidepod / rear wheel so Massa cant really say he had the corner. Not 50/50 more like 60/40 it was an ill advised move.

I have never seen Ron so happy as when Hekki got past Alonso, maybe still a bit of feeling there

Last edited by bosch!; 16 Mar 2008 at 20:47.
Old 16 Mar 2008, 21:24 (Ref:2154129)   #384
LeLutin
Rookie

LeLutin has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bosch!
Kimi spent 19 laps chasing Rubins without feeling the need to barge past, Massa was over committed DC closed the door as he is entitled to do. If you look at the first impact (at the apex) it was back of sidepod / rear wheel so Massa cant really say he had the corner. Not 50/50 more like 60/40 it was an ill advised move.
Also notice Massa has already backed off before the apex (after his n/s/f wheel was just behind DC's o/s/r wheel) hence why he is behind DC at the apex using more curbing than he would do on any other lap.

DC shut the door not knowing how early he had braked compared to Massa.

Any other day he could've left enough room for Massa and carried on keeping infront of the Ferrari.

If DC had of left 1 or 2 car widths inside of him then fair. But he still tried to take the line with a car that was already more than half way along side him. You don't do that.
Old 16 Mar 2008, 23:59 (Ref:2154258)   #385
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Completely DC's fault. There was nothing wrong with Massa's move - he only took to the grass as a last ditch attempt to avoid the Red Bull car.

It was a perfectly good move, and DC should have either tried running around the outside of Massa in Turn 1, or givng him the corner and trying a switchback for the run down to Turn 3. Instead, he just took his normal racing line and drove into Massa.

The writing is on the wall when his manager and friend diplomatically says that Massa would feel as though he was not in the wrong there on international TV.

Perhaps DC should have looked at a replay before speaking...

Perhaps DC should re-consider speaking at all...
Old 17 Mar 2008, 00:17 (Ref:2154266)   #386
Kirk
Veteran

Kirk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeLutin
Definately DC's fault.

Massa had slowed considerably, as he watched DC turn in on him. He had dropped his pace so much so, that he literally crawled to the exit apex of T2.

We're meant to be encouraging overtaking in F1. DC didn't do this.

Anyone fighting DC's corner should simply watch a replay and notice how easy it would've been for DC to keep a competative line AND keep Massa behind him by just giving a Ferrari width of room on T1...

...as for swearing on TV, perhaps this illustrates his own frustration.
Agreed. DC seems to be ranting a lot lately... in this case, possibly of the mind set that a good offence is the best defence. It should be Massa who is doing the cursing. That was a rookie mistake by a veteran driver who seemed to do it purposely knowing he would likely remove himself from a frustrating drive.
Old 17 Mar 2008, 02:23 (Ref:2154308)   #387
willb
Racer

willb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
dc may well have been frustrated with the red cars. iirc kimi gave him a good bump as he passed him at the start of the race.
Old 17 Mar 2008, 05:16 (Ref:2154365)   #388
FPV GTHO
Veteran

Australia
St Marys, NSW
FPV GTHO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer
The cars are still far too aero dependent as people still seemed unsure if they could make overtake's stick so we will be in for processional races when we visit circuits with litte in the way of passing zones. (I believe Melbourne is actually an overtaking friendly circuit despite what many experts seem to think!)
IMO Albert Park would be alot better either without the turn 1/2 chicane, or if they tightened it up to lower the apex speeds. They could probably tighten turn 13 as well with similar results. Alternatively, next year with less aero and slicks it might just be fine.
Old 17 Mar 2008, 10:48 (Ref:2154550)   #389
MatthewC
Rookie

United Kingdom
North Wales
MatthewC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am going to watch the highlights on ITV4 tonight because I was working on Sunday! Should be good fun to see the season underway again!

Congrats to Lewis Hamilton on his win - good drive, and also to Heidfeld and Rosberg on their podium finishes!

Matt.

Campaign to get Alfa Romeo back into the WTCC!
Old 17 Mar 2008, 16:30 (Ref:2154800)   #390
Cougar
Veteran

South Africa
London(ex RSA)
Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!
OK tired of AUSSIE race now :P

03D09H30M to Malaysia!! New thread please :P

What sort of motorist are you... Smooth or Hairy

I'm definitely hairy.
Old 17 Mar 2008, 17:52 (Ref:2154875)   #391
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
Is there any speed trap data around from Melbourne?
Old 17 Mar 2008, 19:33 (Ref:2154982)   #392
Chiefy
Veteran

Germany
Cottbus, Germany.
Chiefy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What a great race! AND my girlfriend suggested I watch it, rather than wait for me to plead for some solitairy before the television set. Double victory for me!

It was great to see the cars moving around so much. I was particularly impressed by Rubens Barrichello as he, quite masterfully, called on all his experience to fend off Kimi Raikkonen for so long. Raikkonen's charges through the field were impressive to watch - but acclimatising to no TC in a race while on the limit obviously brought with it some difficulties. Bad luck conspired against Rubens a lot, though ultimately I suppose he only has himself to blame for the DQ.

On the subject of Massa vs Coulthard, I would just put it down as a "racing incident". Massa does lack the finesse of other top line drivers sometimes - but Coulthard shouldn't judge him for this error. Just because DC apologised to Wurz at the same race last year doesn't mean he deserves one from Massa now. Besides, Massa is still waiting on Alonso's apology for the European GP last season. And Alonso still expects Hamilton to say sorry for his championship charge. This could go on... so DC should move on!
Old 17 Mar 2008, 20:27 (Ref:2155040)   #393
Matt T
Rookie

Guernsey
GSY
Matt T should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought it was a good race, no TC has to be good for sorting the men from the boys. Hamilton was faultless, surprised, like many others, by the Beemers, superb to see Williams back in the hunt too.

Is it me or did anyone else notice Piquet on the inside at the start? He shot straight down the inside and out braked himself and caused all the carnage.

Should have tried the outside like LH last year.

Roll on Malaysia!!
Old 17 Mar 2008, 21:27 (Ref:2155092)   #394
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV GTHO
They could probably tighten turn 13 as well with similar results.
As one of the Flag Marshals at 13 this year I can tell you there was some big passing moves at 13 this year which the TV either didn't show or do justice to.

Leave 13 as it is in my opinion.
Old 18 Mar 2008, 04:23 (Ref:2155312)   #395
FPV GTHO
Veteran

Australia
St Marys, NSW
FPV GTHO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Some cars seemed to go through there all over each other, whilst others were simply either making too many mistakes into 11/12, or were getting seperated too much by the dirty air through there.
Old 18 Mar 2008, 15:43 (Ref:2155689)   #396
mjstallard
Veteran

England
London
mjstallard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Whilst by no means a totally accurate measure of performance (especially with cars that retired), of note in the fastest laps of the race...

15. Takuma Sato - Super Aguri Honda – 1:30.892 – Lap 24
16. Nelsinho Piquet - Renault – 1:31.384 – Lap 20

Oh dear.
Old 18 Mar 2008, 17:46 (Ref:2155788)   #397
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
I wasn't even aware of Piquet even being in the race, I thought he crashed out at T1...
Old 18 Mar 2008, 18:42 (Ref:2155828)   #398
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Was Piquet's car damaged though from his collision with Fisichella at the first corner? Still, that was pretty rubbish.
Old 18 Mar 2008, 19:32 (Ref:2155873)   #399
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
James Allen wittered something about Piquet's clutch, but in all honesty I may well not have been listening to him. He did make it to around halfway though...he just wasn't very good.
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'