Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 14 May 2014, 22:33 (Ref:3406420)   #376
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
I think the whole issue is absurd. They reach a certain reasonable threshold I'm as happy as a clam and even if they didn't I'm big enough to take it all on the chin.

I haven't seen or heard these new cars in the flesh but judging from the telly I 'm satisfied that they reach that threshold.

The idea of bolting on these big loudspeakers onto the back of these cars reminds me of election time.
Old 15 May 2014, 01:01 (Ref:3406440)   #377
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
Sheesh. The Merc looks ludicrous.

The cars sound how they sound. "Fans" need to move on, and concentrate on the technology a bit more.
It's a complete nonsense isn't it ....

So I have decided to release my own official press release..

To anyone that does not like the sound of F1 2014, take up another hobby, or GET over it ...
Old 15 May 2014, 02:35 (Ref:3406446)   #378
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
This is what a French Horn sounds like, courtesy of W.A.Mozart

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1Ep55Xhur4
Old 15 May 2014, 06:58 (Ref:3406488)   #379
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post

To anyone that does not like the sound of F1 2014, take up another hobby, or GET over it ...
Yeah, +1
Old 15 May 2014, 07:16 (Ref:3406491)   #380
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
The design your own exhaust arcade game?
The experimental exhaust is truly artificial, is it not? If even the engine sounds will be mostly artificial, then what is next?
Old 15 May 2014, 07:22 (Ref:3406495)   #381
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
- Double post -
Old 15 May 2014, 07:48 (Ref:3406504)   #382
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingguest View Post
The experimental exhaust is truly artificial, is it not? If even the engine sounds will be mostly artificial, then what is next?

Ah, artificial. I get it. And agree, but the fans are demanding it. I was thinking it was more the actual racing you were referring to which I thought a little irrelevant to the thread. I was just dismissing one of your standard negative comments. Unfairly, sorry.
Old 15 May 2014, 08:19 (Ref:3406511)   #383
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
I think they should forget all of this nonsense & move on.
Making the cars louder (or sound different) was a knee-jerk reaction to comments made after the first race. By the time they've got around to doing anything about it (five races later) the majority of fans appear to have got used to how the cars sound and have accepted them as they are.
Now, all of this messing around is just stirring the whole thing up again.
Pack it in and get on with things!
Old 15 May 2014, 08:29 (Ref:3406513)   #384
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
The cars sound how they sound. "Fans" need to move on, and concentrate on the technology a bit more.
Fans don't need to do anything. They are free individuals who will do as they please. It's F1 that needs fans and if it had thought through what interests them, then maybe it wouldn't be in such a befuddled mess.
Old 15 May 2014, 09:00 (Ref:3406527)   #385
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
-deleted slightly inflammatory post-

It all goes to show just how lost F1 has become, doesn't it?
Old 15 May 2014, 09:01 (Ref:3406529)   #386
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
You know a sport is in a real mess when it starts listening to the fans too much.

Generally speaking fans are fickle and stupid.

The noise is what it is. I can understand anyone who says it's disappointing because I tend to agree - and noise is an important part of the overall sensory experience.

However exhaust trumpets aren't going to help. The noise can only really be improved when the opportunity comes to revise the engines. That time will come soon enough.
Old 15 May 2014, 09:07 (Ref:3406531)   #387
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
Ah, artificial. I get it. And agree, but the fans are demanding it. I was thinking it was more the actual racing you were referring to which I thought a little irrelevant to the thread. I was just dismissing one of your standard negative comments. Unfairly, sorry.
I do not make standard negative comments. For example, when it was reported the re-legalization of active suspension was being proposed, my reaction was very positive until. Things only changed after it came clear that a standardized system was being proposed.
The same thing counts for the current, non-artificial engine sounds. I do like them very much.
Old 15 May 2014, 09:07 (Ref:3406532)   #388
321Go
Veteran

321Go should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The modified exhaust sounds really (really) bad. The current unmodified exhaust is so much better than the test Mercedes carried out.
Old 15 May 2014, 09:22 (Ref:3406536)   #389
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
http://www.gptoday.com/full_story/vi...exhaust_sound/

It is noisier!
Old 15 May 2014, 09:22 (Ref:3406537)   #390
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by garcon View Post
You know a sport is in a real mess when it starts listening to the fans too much
The whole thing about engine sounds was started by Bernie before the season started and he got his old mate Ron Walker to add to it. Fans only started to notice after the Aussie GP and that was much to do with the TV coverage as anything else.

If you remember at a recent meeting of the top F1 teams, Bernie and the FIA they agreed to do something about the engine sound and nothing about the cost increases because that what Bernie wanted.
Old 15 May 2014, 09:32 (Ref:3406542)   #391
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post

"Evil prospers when good men do nothing!"

Or some such from someone or other!
Old 15 May 2014, 09:39 (Ref:3406547)   #392
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
If you stick a megaphone on the end of a tail pipe of course it's going to sound noisier, which is exactly what's been done.
Old 15 May 2014, 09:40 (Ref:3406549)   #393
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post
The whole thing about engine sounds was started by Bernie before the season started and he got his old mate Ron Walker to add to it. Fans only started to notice after the Aussie GP and that was much to do with the TV coverage as anything else.

If you remember at a recent meeting of the top F1 teams, Bernie and the FIA they agreed to do something about the engine sound and nothing about the cost increases because that what Bernie wanted.
Fair points. Mine was more of a flippant response to the point made about listening to the fans.

The chairman of my local football team listened to the fans once. It put the club back five years.
Old 15 May 2014, 09:43 (Ref:3406550)   #394
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
In the early-nineties the Group C class mandated 3.5-liter normally-aspirated engines, equal to Formula One at that very time. In comparison with Formula One the engines were low-revving at Le Mans but not in comparison with previous generations. Since then then the engines regulations were changed repeatedly and in such way, that the engines became quieter. However, no-one ever complained about that.
Old 15 May 2014, 13:25 (Ref:3406633)   #395
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by garcon View Post
Fair points. Mine was more of a flippant response to the point made about listening to the fans.

The chairman of my local football team listened to the fans once. It put the club back five years.
If the sport was run by visionaries, whose idea of change was something that inspired and excited, to extent that people were gravitating towards rather than away from F1, then we wouldn't be having this discussion.

The fact that it's not means that those in charge need to resort to 'listening' for fear of doing even more damage than has already been done. As you've pointed out... this is generally indicative of deeper problems.

Paul Hembrey's opinion here.
Old 15 May 2014, 14:53 (Ref:3406648)   #396
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
The noise thing is just nonsense. If whoever it was didn't start this ridiculous hysteria in the first place over a year ago, antagonising Bernie to start his greasy whining that the media faithfully reported, then it wouldn't be an issue now. This is a bit like Warwick was saying about the way the sports players attack each other through the media damaging the sports reputation.

The sport can do with a contraction in popularity as long as that is preceded by an readjustment in spending. Unfortunately the former follows the latter in practice. There's also the fact that what the fan thinks he wants, may not tally with what actually resonates with him when he gets it. It may flatter to deceive. You have to take a nuanced approached when understanding the psychology of the audience.

That said, there's no big deal in bolting on loudspeakers, fog-horns, trumpets, horns or a tuba onto the back of the car if it finally gets everyone to shut the hell up.

Last edited by Paradise City; 15 May 2014 at 15:21.
Old 15 May 2014, 15:29 (Ref:3406659)   #397
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i never really got BE's take on the noise. the sensory experience is of course important but i would think that a quieter formula would go a long way in appeasing many of the groups standing in the way of putting a on London or New York city race. cant say i particularly like street circuits but from a tourism point of view i would think there is more money to be made in London then from the BRDC for example.

imo an opportunity missed by the great and powerful OZ.
Old 15 May 2014, 17:00 (Ref:3406688)   #398
davyboy
Veteran

Bernie's taking it to that great motor sport Mecca - Azerbaijan !
Old 15 May 2014, 17:32 (Ref:3406707)   #399
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
If F1 ever returns to South Africa, they could stick Vuvuzelas in the tail pipe.
Old 15 May 2014, 18:57 (Ref:3406735)   #400
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Nico Rosberg says the megaphone tail pipe makes no difference.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/113960