Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Closed Thread

Old 13 Oct 2013, 23:56 (Ref:3317483)   #4076
Mechanic Z
Veteran

United States
Mos Eisley
Mechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanky Turtle View Post
http://www.imsaracing.net/2013/alms/...MO%2014-05.pdf

Not sure if it had been previously announced but this also confirms the leader lights system and use of car number panels for next year.
They announced it a few months back, but there hadn't been a mention of it for a while.
Wonder what they'll look like?
Old 14 Oct 2013, 00:28 (Ref:3317494)   #4077
jeast
Racer

jeast User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechanic Z View Post
Is it really that hard to get their logo in focus?
Old 14 Oct 2013, 13:09 (Ref:3317746)   #4078
Danathar
Racer

Danathar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonjessica09 View Post
Accidents can occur when the cars are the same speed or if they are going at different speeds. It makes no difference. To see DP/P2/PC/GTLM all mixed together potentially racing for overall positions in addition to class is a great thing I think.
Yea, the first year is going to be insane interesting. I still worry though that the casual fan can't tell the difference between GTD and GTLM. I think it would be better to just have one GT class, not sure how you do it though unless the ACO/FIA go with GT3 for all GT cars at LeMans.

Also, I'm afraid that once it's established which prototype (DP or LMP2) is the dominant type we'll see a drop off of teams or cars of the type that is disadvantaged. I'm sure they'll try and BoP things, but with P2 cars pretty much set for 3 years it means that if DP cars can't cut it the GA DP teams have a future of increasing upgrades and cost.

I'd heard that the class leader lights are no longer on the cars (I was at Sebring a couple years back and that is very helpful to the fan)? Is that true? They REALLY need that for the new series considering how many cars there are.
Old 14 Oct 2013, 16:52 (Ref:3317801)   #4079
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
The leader lights will be incorporated in the new series.

Last edited by Fogelhund; 14 Oct 2013 at 17:15.
Old 14 Oct 2013, 16:54 (Ref:3317803)   #4080
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund View Post
The leader lights will be incorporate in the new series.
Except that it won't be the old three-lights system, it will be two seven-segment displays that show class position all the way down the field. Think the first race where we actually saw the system was the Baku City Challenge last year.
Old 14 Oct 2013, 16:56 (Ref:3317806)   #4081
fanta4
Racer

United States
AKA fanta
fanta4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_RO View Post
Except that it won't be the old three-lights system, it will be two seven-segment displays that show class position all the way down the field. Think the first race where we actually saw the system was the Baku City Challenge last year.
It this the system that the Lizards were testing at Laguna Seca?
Old 14 Oct 2013, 16:57 (Ref:3317807)   #4082
FstrthnU
Veteran

United States
FstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
it should be similar to the one running at the Spa 24 this year
Old 14 Oct 2013, 17:04 (Ref:3317808)   #4083
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fanta4 View Post
It this the system that the Lizards were testing at Laguna Seca?
Quote:
Originally Posted by FstrthnU View Post
it should be similar to the one running at the Spa 24 this year
As far as I'm aware, yes and yes.
Old 17 Oct 2013, 01:31 (Ref:3318703)   #4084
canciaro
Racer

Canada
Windsor
canciaro is a back marker
Still nothing on the regs for these DPs, come on guys lets go enough already.

Michigan Football & Basketball, Oregon Football, Detroit Tigers
Old 17 Oct 2013, 19:39 (Ref:3319126)   #4085
Danathar
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by canciaro View Post
My bet is that we'll hear something announced at Petit...but then again maybe not.
Old 17 Oct 2013, 19:40 (Ref:3319128)   #4086
Danathar
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund View Post
The leader lights will be incorporated in the new series.
thanks!
Old 17 Oct 2013, 19:41 (Ref:3319130)   #4087
Danathar
Racer

Quote:
eh? How does that work?
Old 17 Oct 2013, 19:48 (Ref:3319133)   #4088
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danathar View Post
eh? How does that work?
It doesn't. They used that in the BES round at the Nürburgring, but it was very hard to read. To make matters worse, the system was on right side of the windscreen, which at the Nürburgring is the circuit inside, while most of the grandstands are on the circuit outside. I was really glad one of my friends had his Iphone along so we could use the Blancpain app for T&S.
Old 17 Oct 2013, 19:57 (Ref:3319136)   #4089
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
It doesn't. They used that in the BES round at the Nürburgring, but it was very hard to read. To make matters worse, the system was on right side of the windscreen, which at the Nürburgring is the circuit inside, while most of the grandstands are on the circuit outside. I was really glad one of my friends had his Iphone along so we could use the Blancpain app for T&S.
Didn't the ALMS test-run the number panel on the outside of the car though, instead of inside the windscreen?
Old 17 Oct 2013, 20:20 (Ref:3319147)   #4090
ThatGuy
Rookie

ThatGuy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Didn't the ALMS test-run the number panel on the outside of the car though, instead of inside the windscreen?
The Flying Lizard #45 ran it at Laguna Seca on both rear quarter panels. I couldn't find a picture, but you can get a good look from here.
Old 18 Oct 2013, 01:09 (Ref:3319268)   #4091
EricS
Racer

United States
Austin, TX
EricS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Old 18 Oct 2013, 01:25 (Ref:3319274)   #4092
Dyson Mazda
Veteran

United States
Charlotte, NC
Dyson Mazda should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDyson Mazda should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by canciaro View Post
If Starworks cars are currently at the shops being upgraded, something tells me that the people who care about the rules know what is going on. It is sort of hard to upgrade a car when you do not know what to upgrade.
Old 18 Oct 2013, 01:39 (Ref:3319276)   #4093
Danske
Veteran

Danske should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyson Mazda View Post
If Starworks cars are currently at the shops being upgraded, something tells me that the people who care about the rules know what is going on. It is sort of hard to upgrade a car when you do not know what to upgrade.
Wayne Taylor has also said they have a car at P&M for the upgrades, and that anyone who doesn't know anything about what's going on isn't doing their job as a team owner.
Old 18 Oct 2013, 11:56 (Ref:3319414)   #4094
jasonjessica09
Veteran

jasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In reference to the sportscar365 article about the pending regulations, what are examples that show what the difference between technical regulations and balance of performance are?
Old 18 Oct 2013, 16:14 (Ref:3319501)   #4095
FstrthnU
Veteran

United States
FstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
http://sportscar365.com/imsa/tusc/in...o-be-released/

The article Jasonjessica09 was talking about (incoming DP technical regulations).

To answer the question, technical regulations are how you can "build" the car whereas Balance of Performance is forced modifications/lower limits to your current build.
Old 18 Oct 2013, 16:45 (Ref:3319509)   #4096
Danathar
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyson Mazda View Post
You can make some basic educated guesses. Bigger Wing, carbon brakes, etc.

I'm really going to be interested as to how this changes DP in regards to getting the fastest lap. One of the corvette drivers had said that in comparison the DP cars could be thrown around corners where the corvette GT was more about precision. His observation was that if you tried to drive a GT corvette like the DP you would encounter a lot of oversteer.

Increasing the downforce, carbon brakes...makes me think that the DP is NOT going to be the same beast to drive with better performance. The changes will probably change RADICALLY how you drive it.
Old 18 Oct 2013, 18:58 (Ref:3319548)   #4097
jasonjessica09
Veteran

jasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FstrthnU View Post
http://sportscar365.com/imsa/tusc/in...o-be-released/

The article Jasonjessica09 was talking about (incoming DP technical regulations).

To answer the question, technical regulations are how you can "build" the car whereas Balance of Performance is forced modifications/lower limits to your current build.
Ok so to say that the LMP2 technical regulations will be the same is not saying much becasue there is a lot of significant ways you can speed or slow a car through BoP then?
Old 19 Oct 2013, 07:17 (Ref:3319726)   #4098
Lanky Turtle
Veteran

Lanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonjessica09 View Post
Ok so to say that the LMP2 technical regulations will be the same is not saying much becasue there is a lot of significant ways you can speed or slow a car through BoP then?
I guess technically a car could be BoP'ed with 500lbs of ballast and a 50% air flow restriction so I see your point.
Old 19 Oct 2013, 12:53 (Ref:3319789)   #4099
MrBloodmuffins
Rookie

MrBloodmuffins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
News just in!

Pickett is looking at both a p2 and a GTLM car
http://sportscar365.com/imsa/tusc/ex...ng-gt-program/
Old 19 Oct 2013, 13:59 (Ref:3319801)   #4100
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Filed under Interesting Trivia—I met the guy who thought up the name for the series at Turn Six right before night practice. He said he didn’t care what they called the series so long as they got rid of the “Dumb Prototypes.”

USCC was conceived in the mind of an ALMS fan.
Closed Thread