Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 22 Apr 2014, 03:30 (Ref:3396485)   #4126
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Champion Porsche/Audi territory
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
yaaddeeee, yaaddeee, yaaaadddee.

We ahall see.

jimclark
Old 22 Apr 2014, 06:27 (Ref:3396515)   #4127
GasperG
Veteran

Slovenia
GasperG has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Does anyone know the power rating of the ERS-H unit and how much % of that total allowed MJ per lap does it take? When does it harvest the most energy, during acceleration at WOT?

Here is the thing. The ERS-H is there to boost the thermodynamic efficiency of the engine, but this boosting of efficiency is costing Porsche to go up in MJ class.

I think that is why the rated power of ERS-K is so much lower than Toyota and they are still in the same MJ class.
Old 22 Apr 2014, 07:30 (Ref:3396536)   #4128
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Porsche LMP1 return for 2014 confirmed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deggis View Post

Webber: How's Seb going?

Newey: Don't ask...

Although with the two masked Porsche guys in the foreground Webber and Newey look as though they've been caught up in a robbery of sorts haha
Old 22 Apr 2014, 15:58 (Ref:3396775)   #4129
TheNo1F1Fan
Veteran

Denmark
TheNo1F1Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNo1F1Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich07 View Post
Webber: How's Seb going?

Newey: Don't ask...

Although with the two masked Porsche guys in the foreground Webber and Newey look as though they've been caught up in a robbery of sorts haha
Funny for me.
Old 22 Apr 2014, 17:18 (Ref:3396823)   #4130
nkoske
Racer

United States
Bay Area, CA
nkoske should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interesting the Newey chose to be at the WEC race instead of the China race with his current employer.

Any chance Adrian is looking at the greater design freedoms in Sportscars or talking with Porsche (another mfg) about an F1 engine source.
Old 22 Apr 2014, 17:21 (Ref:3396824)   #4131
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Mr Newey loves sportscars and races his own GT40 so if he can find employment with Porsche i suspect he will jump at the chance
Old 22 Apr 2014, 17:52 (Ref:3396836)   #4132
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkoske View Post
Interesting the Newey chose to be at the WEC race instead of the China race with his current employer.

Any chance Adrian is looking at the greater design freedoms in Sportscars or talking with Porsche (another mfg) about an F1 engine source.
I think that Adrian Newey is currently working hard at Red Bull with designing and testing parts to catch up with Mercedes. He just took a day or two out to watch what he loves. Like GT6 mentions:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
Mr Newey loves sportscars and races his own GT40 so if he can find employment with Porsche i suspect he will jump at the chance
Old 22 Apr 2014, 18:15 (Ref:3396847)   #4133
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
He doesn't even go to every GP these days does he? Don't think there's much of a story there.
Old 22 Apr 2014, 18:21 (Ref:3396851)   #4134
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It probably confirms that Silverstone is nearer to Milton Keynes than China.
Old 22 Apr 2014, 23:23 (Ref:3396982)   #4135
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
It probably confirms that Silverstone is nearer to Milton Keynes than China.
You will be relieved, it definetley does; I checked it out on Google Earth.
Old 23 Apr 2014, 02:44 (Ref:3397032)   #4136
JoestForEver
Veteran

United Kingdom
New York
JoestForEver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GasperG View Post
Does anyone know the power rating of the ERS-H unit and how much % of that total allowed MJ per lap does it take? When does it harvest the most energy, during acceleration at WOT?

Here is the thing. The ERS-H is there to boost the thermodynamic efficiency of the engine, but this boosting of efficiency is costing Porsche to go up in MJ class.

I think that is why the rated power of ERS-K is so much lower than Toyota and they are still in the same MJ class.
I think the energy harvested by ERS-H isn't restricted by the MJ class as long as it is not stored and released through MGU. So if the energy is used to improve thermal efficiency(turbo lag) solely, there is no top limit to it.
Old 23 Apr 2014, 06:40 (Ref:3397064)   #4137
GasperG
Veteran

Slovenia
GasperG has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
That may be true but I think that there is more energy produced than just to improve a couple of ms of turbo lag.

If we look at F1 rules ERS-K can regenerate only 2 MJ per lap but the hybrid system can release 4 MJ per lap, the energy recovered by the ERS-H is unlimited. From that we can conclude that in F1 half the energy recovered is from ERS-H and half from ERS-K.

The WEC rules address only energy released by hybrid system, so in F1 that would translate to 4 MJ class not 2 MJ.

The Audi decision to not have the ERS-H unit is logical, because the energy harvested would mean that they have to compete in higher MJ class and use even less fuel, this together with high displacement engine with minimum waste gate is the same as not having ERS-H unit at all.

Looks like a downsized engine with huge turbo at max boost pressure is just as (maybe even less) efficient than bigger displacement NA engine, ERS-H unit boosts this efficiency but puts you in higher MJ class (less fuel). That explains why Porsche only has 180 kW of kinetic regeneration power, Toyota 353 kW and they compete in the same MJ class.
Old 23 Apr 2014, 07:08 (Ref:3397074)   #4138
JoestForEver
Veteran

United Kingdom
New York
JoestForEver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GasperG View Post
That may be true but I think that there is more energy produced than just to improve a couple of ms of turbo lag.

If we look at F1 rules ERS-K can regenerate only 2 MJ per lap but the hybrid system can release 4 MJ per lap, the energy recovered by the ERS-H is unlimited. From that we can conclude that in F1 half the energy recovered is from ERS-H and half from ERS-K.

The WEC rules address only energy released by hybrid system, so in F1 that would translate to 4 MJ class not 2 MJ.

The Audi decision to not have the ERS-H unit is logical, because the energy harvested would mean that they have to compete in higher MJ class and use even less fuel, this together with high displacement engine with minimum waste gate is the same as not having ERS-H unit at all.

Looks like a downsized engine with huge turbo at max boost pressure is just as (maybe even less) efficient than bigger displacement NA engine, ERS-H unit boosts this efficiency but puts you in higher MJ class (less fuel). That explains why Porsche only has 180 kW of kinetic regeneration power, Toyota 353 kW and they compete in the same MJ class.
I have to say that's a fair point and I agree with you.Looks like Porsche is so confident with their ERS-H to boost efficiency that it can offset the influence of smaller fuel allocation.
Old 30 Apr 2014, 18:56 (Ref:3400107)   #4139
Pandemonium
Racer

Pandemonium has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!

Looks nicer!!
Old 1 May 2014, 09:38 (Ref:3400277)   #4140
Richard T
Rookie

Sweden
Stockholm
Richard T should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandemonium View Post

Looks nicer!!
Anything new there?
Old 1 May 2014, 12:39 (Ref:3400339)   #4141
DistortedSmile
Racer

Spain
DistortedSmile should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDistortedSmile should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDistortedSmile should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard T View Post
Anything new there?
The shape of the headlights is different, more aggressive, I like it.
Old 1 May 2014, 12:40 (Ref:3400341)   #4142
Richard T
Rookie

Sweden
Stockholm
Richard T should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistortedSmile View Post

Oh yes.. I'm waiting to se how it looks on the car!
Old 1 May 2014, 12:46 (Ref:3400342)   #4143
FxL
Rookie

FxL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistortedSmile View Post
Isn't it just the perspective? Can't see much of a difference compared to Silverstone.
Old 1 May 2014, 12:51 (Ref:3400343)   #4144
NelisB
Veteran

Netherlands
Deventer
NelisB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FML View Post
Isn't it just the perspective? Can't see much of a difference compared to Silverstone.
No difference to me when they ran at Paul Ricard.
Old 1 May 2014, 13:04 (Ref:3400348)   #4145
DistortedSmile
Racer

Spain
DistortedSmile should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDistortedSmile should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDistortedSmile should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I thought they looked curvier, but after seeing this picture it appears the angle was indeed playing tricks on my eyes.

Old 1 May 2014, 13:10 (Ref:3400351)   #4146
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Be nice if they adjusted the rules so there could be a wider cockpit glass area ..... I think it would improve the beast ...... give it a nicer look . But it doesn't look bad now .
Old 1 May 2014, 13:28 (Ref:3400363)   #4147
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I know I'm biased, but to me this is the nicest looking P1 from the front.
Old 1 May 2014, 13:36 (Ref:3400368)   #4148
gustavobamba
Veteran

Portugal
Viana do Castelo
gustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyderman View Post
I know I'm biased, but to me this is the nicest looking P1 from the front.
+1
Old 1 May 2014, 13:59 (Ref:3400375)   #4149
nobster
Veteran

Netherlands
Eindhoven, de gekste!!!!
nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!
Not only from the front...
Old 1 May 2014, 14:07 (Ref:3400377)   #4150
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
A little disconcerting: Porsche are looking for a Power train calculation engineer and Head of suspension for their LMP1 project.
http://content3.eu.porsche.com/prod/...ons=&fulltext=