Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Closed Thread

Old 20 Oct 2013, 21:32 (Ref:3320707)   #4126
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It will be interesting to see what gets done to PC. P2 will be slower with that extra weight for sure, so that gap will be even lower than it has been this year.
Old 21 Oct 2013, 02:11 (Ref:3320783)   #4127
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
It looks like DP will be significantly faster, and probably favorable for most the season. But now itll be more expensive.
Old 21 Oct 2013, 10:18 (Ref:3320930)   #4128
Lanky Turtle
Veteran

Lanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Keeping in mind this is just an initial draft of the regulations. If the on track tests show the DP's to be up to speed with the P2's, then we could see less than 960KG.

I'm sure the PC's will be slowed a bit in the same manner. Added weight and possibly engine air restrictor.
Old 21 Oct 2013, 11:41 (Ref:3320965)   #4129
Danathar
Racer

Danathar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
For those who say that this shafts DP teams, maybe you can say that Jim France signed a deal with the devil when he signed a deal with the ACO and the FIA and vowed that only minimal changes will be made to the ACO/FIA derived classes.

You can say what you want about Brian France and NASCAR, but it seems clear that in sportscar racing, uncle Jim knows where the power lies, and he's a businessman who, none the less, cares about sportscar racing, and he wants TUSCC to be a world player.
I REALLY have to agree with you here.
Old 21 Oct 2013, 11:42 (Ref:3320967)   #4130
Danathar
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLGarcia View Post
The party line elsewhere is that Ol' Jim is just an ACO puppet. It is to laugh.
Yup. That's IS to laugh.

Welcome to ALMS 1.5 (As instead of Grand AM 2.0)
Old 21 Oct 2013, 12:12 (Ref:3320985)   #4131
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanky Turtle View Post
Keeping in mind this is just an initial draft of the regulations. If the on track tests show the DP's to be up to speed with the P2's, then we could see less than 960KG.

I'm sure the PC's will be slowed a bit in the same manner. Added weight and possibly engine air restrictor.
I had that thought as well. Hopefully the DP'S will have a bit more on track speed than the simulations are showing so less weight has to be added to the p2's. Would be interesting to see if the tire test at road Atlanta today has a revised dp running as well. The spirit of Daytona car that was on display seemed to be in current spec although that could be changed if they were planning on testing the updates.
Old 21 Oct 2013, 12:20 (Ref:3320991)   #4132
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
"Allegedly", there is an interview in the November print edition of the magazine Sport Auto, with J France, that suggests he'd like to have P1 cars at NAEC events in the future, not for 2014 though.

I haven't seen this article, and this doesn't make much sense to me, but I thought I'd pass it along.

Last edited by Fogelhund; 21 Oct 2013 at 12:44.
Old 21 Oct 2013, 12:33 (Ref:3321003)   #4133
jeast
Racer

jeast User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund View Post
"Allegedly", there is an interview in the print edition of the magazine Sport Auto, with J France, that suggests he'd like to have P1 cars at NAEC events in the future, not for 2014 though.

I haven't seen this article, and this doesn't make much sense to me, but I thought I'd pass it along.
God that would be a dream come true! But then again they would make them run with 1000 added pounds or something.
Old 21 Oct 2013, 13:21 (Ref:3321016)   #4134
Danathar
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeast View Post
God that would be a dream come true! But then again they would make them run with 1000 added pounds or something.
If I had to guess...if they could get enough P1 cars to compete and had the pits space they would not even bother. P1 would just be the top class, period.
Old 21 Oct 2013, 13:52 (Ref:3321033)   #4135
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
"Allegedly", there is an interview in the November print edition of the magazine Sport Auto, with J France, that suggests he'd like to have P1 cars at NAEC events in the future, not for 2014 though.

I think it makes perfect sense to cast aside some of the spec class cars to allow works teams from all over the world to fight for the wins at blue ribband events like it used to be the case at Daytona24h too before G/A turned it into an obscure national event. As it stands, turning down some very exciting entries NASCAR seems to be more devoted to its commitments before a bunch gentleman drivers whose teams NASCAR subsidize, than building the success of these events.
Old 21 Oct 2013, 14:41 (Ref:3321061)   #4136
fanta4
Racer

United States
AKA fanta
fanta4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I have seen this NAEC acronym thrown around a but over the past few months, but haven't been able to figure out what the North American Endurance Championship actually is. Is it a championship within the regular season? Is the NAEC only comprised of the longer endurance races? Is this a grand Am thing that is carrying over to TUSC(C)?
Old 21 Oct 2013, 14:44 (Ref:3321063)   #4137
Nick Woodbury
Veteran

United States
New England
Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fanta4 View Post
I have seen this NAEC acronym thrown around a but over the past few months, but haven't been able to figure out what the North American Endurance Championship actually is. Is it a championship within the regular season? Is the NAEC only comprised of the longer endurance races? Is this a grand Am thing that is carrying over to TUSC(C)?
Yes it is a Grand-Am thing being carried over, comprising of the longer endurance races on the 2014 calendar; Daytona, Sebring, Indy, Watkins Glen? and Petit. Think of it as the Green X challenge, only it is relevant and actually worth your time paying attention to.
Old 21 Oct 2013, 14:57 (Ref:3321070)   #4138
Samoan Attorney
Veteran

Samoan Attorney should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSamoan Attorney should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSamoan Attorney should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:

It is in the November 2013 issue of the magazine and written by the Chief Editor, Marcus Schurig.

Here is a translation:

One LMP team boss from the ALMS, who is friends with Jim France for 30 years, said in Wisconsin: "Jim has no guidelines from the NASCAR organization for organizing the sports car series. He is completely free in his decisions. He has a global vision, stating that the need is for U.S. long-distance sports to keep a concrete reference to Le Mans. "Some will agree that the prospects for the future of the U.S. sports car racing were better than they were, the only losers from present perspective are Audi and Porsche, as the LM P1 class is for the moment in the past.
In Austin, Jim France suggested the idea of ​​a solution, the LM P1 teams to come to the four long races at Daytona, Sebring, Road Atlanta and Watkins Glen by invite. This proposal should even give the ACO a surprise.

As I do not speak German, except after a lot of beer, I have tried to correct the auto translate as best as possible, so don't shoot the messenger if I have got it wrong.
Old 21 Oct 2013, 15:01 (Ref:3321073)   #4139
Samoan Attorney
Veteran

Samoan Attorney should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSamoan Attorney should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSamoan Attorney should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Woodbury View Post
Yes it is a Grand-Am thing being carried over, comprising of the longer endurance races on the 2014 calendar; Daytona, Sebring, Indy, Watkins Glen? and Petit. Think of it as the Green X challenge, only it is relevant and actually worth your time paying attention to.
For 2014 it is The Rolex, Sebring, Watkins Glen and PLM
Old 21 Oct 2013, 15:17 (Ref:3321097)   #4140
Tim240z
Rookie

United States
Tim240z should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamasque View Post
I think it makes perfect sense to cast aside some of the spec class cars to allow works teams from all over the world to fight for the wins at blue ribband events like it used to be the case at Daytona24h too before G/A turned it into an obscure national event. As it stands, turning down some very exciting entries NASCAR seems to be more devoted to its commitments before a bunch gentleman drivers whose teams NASCAR subsidize, than building the success of these events.
So far my ONLY gripe with the new series is losing P1 at Sebring. IMHO that's the second most important and influential endurance race in the world and deserves the best of the best.
Old 21 Oct 2013, 15:26 (Ref:3321102)   #4141
fanta4
Racer

United States
AKA fanta
fanta4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samoan Attorney View Post
For 2014 it is The Rolex, Sebring, Watkins Glen and PLM
Thanks. With car caps at each event, how is this going to impact the NAEC? Has it historically been a championship that some team only choose to participate in, while skipping the rest of the season? Does being NAEC champion actually really mean anything? Were extra points awarded towards winning the Grand Am championship if you were NAEC champs?
Old 21 Oct 2013, 15:41 (Ref:3321111)   #4142
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fanta4 View Post
Thanks. With car caps at each event, how is this going to impact the NAEC? Has it historically been a championship that some team only choose to participate in, while skipping the rest of the season? Does being NAEC champion actually really mean anything? Were extra points awarded towards winning the Grand Am championship if you were NAEC champs?
It only has been existing since 2012 so there isn't a whole lot of history behind it just yet. No extra points, but a - as far as sportscars are concerned - relatively nice purse are up for grabs.
Old 21 Oct 2013, 15:49 (Ref:3321114)   #4143
Mike Hedlund
Veteran

United States
Redwood City, CA
Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!
A few teams competed in the NAEC only over the last 2 seasons. If you look at how the points are awarded though, it's really a joke. I don't think the "NAEC" actually gains any cars that would simply run those bigger events anyway. All it does is dilute the attention that should be given to the normal race winners and championship contenders.

-mike
Old 21 Oct 2013, 16:00 (Ref:3321122)   #4144
Matra-simca
Rookie

United States
Durham, NC
Matra-simca should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatra-simca should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm glad to see IMSA's decided to cast a wide net. On the surface, nobody, at this juncture, seems particularily satisfied in either the DP or P2 camp, and that's a good sign, as the rule parameters allow for a great deal of wiggle room. The upcoming verification tests at Sebring and Daytona will obviously nail exactly where they stand lap-time wise, but the bigger issue is whether they can achieve cost parity at the same time. If P2s run the same pace as DP then for sure competitors will migrate to, as it stands now, the cheaper LMP option. Frankly, I'd like to see a balanced mix of at least 10 of each, which would provide some much needed visual appeal, assuming, of course, new DP aero tweeks give them a more aggressive stance.

It's not just visual appeal though. I mentioned in another post, DPs desperately need some aural variety. The omni-present V-8s from BMW, Ford, Chevy and Porsche sound exactly the same, and it's not the kind of 8 cylinder exhaust note that one would want to listen to for any length of time, compounded by the mufflers designed to attenuate their cry. Totally subjective, I know, but I've not heard one word, or read any comments since DPs inception on how good they "feel". There was a moment of levity, though, a few year back when a couple of DPs, notably Alex Job, competed with Porsche's flat-six and did well, although it didn't take long for the rules-makers to essentially put paid to their participation with dragonian engine restrictions.

Todd
Old 21 Oct 2013, 16:54 (Ref:3321149)   #4145
jeast
Racer

jeast User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim240z View Post
So far my ONLY gripe with the new series is losing P1 at Sebring. IMHO that's the second most important and influential endurance race in the world and deserves the best of the best.
Same.. I wish it was a WEC race.
Old 21 Oct 2013, 17:04 (Ref:3321159)   #4146
TRspitfirefan
Veteran

United States
TRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBloodmuffins View Post
News just in!

Pickett is looking at both a p2 and a GTLM car
http://sportscar365.com/imsa/tusc/ex...ng-gt-program/
THAT WOULD BE AWESOME!
Old 21 Oct 2013, 17:47 (Ref:3321186)   #4147
EricS
Racer

United States
Austin, TX
EricS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Marshall Pruett and Elkins talking about the DP regulations article over twitter (excuse their misspellings):
Quote:
Scot Elkins ‏@scotelkins 14h
“@jayxerjake: @marshallpruett had a great article talking about the open areas. - he did not have correct fat sorry

Marshall Pruett ‏@marshallpruett 14h
@scotelkins @jayxerjake I believe my fat is correct

Scot Elkins ‏@scotelkins 12h
“@marshallpruett: @jayxerjake I believe my fat is correct”-not so much-prices r not correct

Marshall Pruett ‏@marshallpruett 25m
@DirtyUncleKevin @wererabbitt I am awaiting an educational email on my errors.

Scot Elkins ‏@scotelkins 16m
“@DirtyUncleKevin: if @marshallpruett "didn't have his facts correct" in his article you should tell us what they are.-we r discussing it
Old 21 Oct 2013, 17:52 (Ref:3321189)   #4148
Ephaeton
Veteran

Austria
Between Österreichring and Nordschleife
Ephaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
damnit it you wanna control the PR then be on top of it.
*shakes head in disbelief*
Old 21 Oct 2013, 18:43 (Ref:3321227)   #4149
Lanky Turtle
Veteran

Lanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim240z View Post
Since the same cars are running Daytona this year, I don't know if that still applies.

I don't think they will commit to P1 cars in the future unless Audi, Porsche, Toyota, and whoever else comes along are all on board, and I don't know if WEC teams see the value of racing outside of their championship (Toyota doesn't). Especially when there are conflicting race dates with the NAEC and WEC as there are now. Otherwise it will just be Audi showing up and running away with the wins as "a test for Le Mans".
Old 21 Oct 2013, 19:18 (Ref:3321235)   #4150
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
There is a danger in having too much of a presence on Social Media, and Mssr. Elkins has proven why. There is no way to look good out of this. It should be known that Mssr. Pruett obtained his information from the teams. It is Elkins job to educate the teams. Obviously he hasn't, so bad on him. Given they haven't educated the teams, on what they believe the costs should be, they shouldn't go public about it, rather go behind the scenes, and educate the teams, who can then go behind the scenes, and let Pruett know they gave him incorrect information... if it is incorrect.

Lincoln - Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
Closed Thread