Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 29 Apr 2009, 12:32 (Ref:2452185)   #401
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble View Post
I think a lot of Donington's problems have been that DVL have been somewhat tardy in putting their hands up on anything... whether that is deliberate or simply chronic management only they know but this has a horrible element of predictablility to it
Exactly! The best way to kill rumour, speculation, conspiracy theories & so on is to state the facts of the situation, unpalatable though those facts may be.
Old 29 Apr 2009, 15:11 (Ref:2452275)   #402
FMS
Rookie

FMS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does anyone know for sure if it IS yellow flags or not ?

I am thinking of going, but am wondering if the competitor attendance is going to suffer making it less worthwhile to attend?

For info, I am particularly interested in the pre 78 and post 78 GP cars.
Old 29 Apr 2009, 15:21 (Ref:2452277)   #403
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No they dont,it is all supposition.
Old 29 Apr 2009, 16:47 (Ref:2452298)   #404
Steven Humphrey
Veteran

England
cambridgeshire
Steven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSteven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I've been following all the different Donington threads on here for the last few weeks (I marshalled at the HSCC meeting at the start of April). There's been a lot of speculation and rumours flying around but the sad thing is, most of them have been true. Human nature will make us all speculate, especially when there's a total lack of facts from the involved parties. Only last week Simon Gillet was on the radio saying everything is fine and going to plan only for the news that they were being sued for lack of rent payments to be announced the next day! Doesn't fill you with much confidence.

All us marshals and competitors want is to know, with plenty of warning, is that the event we've volunteered for/paid to take part in is going to happen. My marshalling year has been planned since Christmas so I'd imagine competitors are planning that far in advance, maybe sooner. So to be told only days before an event that it's been moved/cancelled is a pain in the backside, to say the least! So without solid facts from the circuit (I won't say organising clubs because I think they're as much in the dark as the rest of us) people will start to second guess what is happening. And to be honest, has anyone actually taken any of the posts on here as gospel? It's just good old fashioned gossip really!!
Old 30 Apr 2009, 10:11 (Ref:2452756)   #405
Fay
Veteran

England
Silverstone
Fay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does anyone know whether the pictures in this weeks Autosport are old pictures taken when they started the tunnel or current pictures showing the state of the circuit?
Old 30 Apr 2009, 10:43 (Ref:2452769)   #406
stroller
Racer

stroller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fay View Post
Does anyone know whether the pictures in this weeks Autosport are old pictures taken when they started the tunnel or current pictures showing the state of the circuit?
I'd say old photos.

Looks like first phase of concrete work for tunnel construction.

Wouldn't have time to dig out & get back to that from how it had been left

Read somewhere (another thread ?) that to rectify the situation (and get it licenced) they would have to provide at least 25 metres of runoff on the outside of the Circuit and 10 metres on the inside.

Still sounds like a lot of earth to move & make good
Old 30 Apr 2009, 11:12 (Ref:2452790)   #407
Zola
Racer

United Kingdom
Zola should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I had a friend visit the circuit yesterday who told me nothing had been done to alter the circuit from when we were there two weeks ago - gossip is the contractors haven't been paid either.....

The likelihood of my race happening this weekend looks grim....
Old 30 Apr 2009, 11:13 (Ref:2452791)   #408
Zola
Racer

United Kingdom
sorry meant next weekend.... oops
Old 30 Apr 2009, 11:40 (Ref:2452807)   #409
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
I would relax guys I really cannot see this happening especially after reading the Bernie Saves British GP post in the Marshals forum. It all seems to make sense now reading that.
Old 30 Apr 2009, 15:29 (Ref:2452965)   #410
Dave 455
Racer

Dave 455 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

No more meetings at donny for a long time !

Alan Gow : -

An e-mail circulated by BTCC director Alan Gow to competitors broke the news, revealing:

'We have just been advised by Donington Park that they will have to cancel our event (and all other four-wheel events for the foreseeable future) due to ongoing issues regarding the work required to obtain their track licences. It is anticipated that this will be publicly announced within the next few hours.
Old 30 Apr 2009, 15:37 (Ref:2452972)   #411
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by stroller View Post
I'd say old photos.

Looks like first phase of concrete work for tunnel construction.

Wouldn't have time to dig out & get back to that from how it had been left

Read somewhere (another thread ?) that to rectify the situation (and get it licenced) they would have to provide at least 25 metres of runoff on the outside of the Circuit and 10 metres on the inside.

Still sounds like a lot of earth to move & make good
Yes, those photos are of work over the last autumn/winter to make the tunnel as it now is.

And I think you have got your inside and outsides mixed up. If you say 10 outside and 25 inside, then those figures correspond (roughly) to what was there before the tunnel was dug.

Regards

Jim
Old 30 Apr 2009, 15:49 (Ref:2452979)   #412
Zola
Racer

United Kingdom
Not good..... I'm sure that other racers attending the Masters event will agree - alot of expense and time already put in to get our cars ready for this event...
Old 30 Apr 2009, 16:21 (Ref:2452996)   #413
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Think I'll wait to hear from Masters first before I draw any conclusions.
Old 30 Apr 2009, 17:21 (Ref:2453034)   #414
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Just heard that Gillet has secured a banking job with RBS.
Old 30 Apr 2009, 17:23 (Ref:2453038)   #415
Dave 455
Racer

Story on crash.net : -

http://www.crash.net/btcc/news/14615...to_follow.html
Old 30 Apr 2009, 18:14 (Ref:2453086)   #416
Dave 455
Racer

Toca are now saying the BTCC weekend is back on, unless Donington cancel it.
The BSB round will run on May 22-25 according to Donington, the contractors will have finsihed work by the end of May 21st.
Old 30 Apr 2009, 19:23 (Ref:2453137)   #417
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
I really cannot see it happening I am so sorry to say. I was disappointed when I see our calender that Donny was not include this year but obviously now i am glad it was not, we (CTCRC) have an historic meeting the following weekend at Silverstone National and I am certain sure there will be places on the grid if anyone is interested in a run out, not as good as Donny of course but there will be a drivers and their guests barby. :-)
Old 30 Apr 2009, 19:43 (Ref:2453150)   #418
Dave 455
Racer

Donington have confirmed the circuit will be safe for bikes by May 21st (2 days before British Superbike Meeting starts!

http://www.donington-park.co.uk/busi...ws?news_id=633
Old 30 Apr 2009, 19:52 (Ref:2453164)   #419
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Hmmmm,bit of a U turn by some then? Glad I kept my hotel booking for next week open!
Old 30 Apr 2009, 20:01 (Ref:2453175)   #420
Dave 455
Racer

It's all very confusing this, all BTCC drivers and teams and Barc were told by Toca it was off, then all drivers and teams told it's back on, maybe they will let the marshals know tommorow it's back on hopefuly!
It's about time donington had another meeting anyway!
Maybe Alan Gow's e-mail was designed to pressure Donington into action and we will be fully back in business for the masters!
I do think there needs to be official conformation ASAP by tommorow P.M, it's so difficult for marshals, teams and drivers not knowing 100%, especially when hotels etc are booked and plans are made!
Old 30 Apr 2009, 20:05 (Ref:2453179)   #421
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I presume Max Clifford is watching and learning about generating publicity in adversity from this saga.

Good grief, will it never end - one way or the other ... ?
Old 30 Apr 2009, 20:06 (Ref:2453181)   #422
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
The following statement was issued by Alan Gow at 17.32 today

Further to my previous correspondence, I am pleased (and relieved) to advise that our event at Donington Park has not been postponed!

Donington Park have informed me that today's earlier fear of needing to postpone the event has now largely dissipated - i.e. they are now confident that the work required for their track licence will be completed in time for our event and, in fact, for the event on the weekend preceding ours.
Obviously it is preferable and to everyone's benefit that we do our utmost to keep the Donington event on our schedule, on the original date. A huge amount of effort is being expended by Donington Park to get the work completed and they have now increased and accelerated this effort even further to ensure our event takes place - and I am also now more confident than ever that this will be achieved.

This has been a very intensive and trying time for everyone involved. My previous correspondence was sent to you as a warning of the likelihood of Donington having to postpone our event..... so I'm sure that you will now be pleased to learn that this is not the case.

Kind regards,
Alan J. Gow
BTCC Series Director & Administrator

I'm sure everybody involved has been on tenterhooks for the past few weeks, none more so than the Masters team - it's been a very trying time for them.
This is not the time for recriminations and I hope everyone will now get behind the meeting and make it the success it was always planned to be.

See you there I hope
Old 30 Apr 2009, 20:11 (Ref:2453186)   #423
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
I have a feeling it will be John.It certainly should be as recognition of Chris's and The Teams effort's!!!
Old 30 Apr 2009, 20:42 (Ref:2453204)   #424
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Excellent news.
Old 1 May 2009, 07:14 (Ref:2453396)   #425
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower View Post
I have a feeling it will be John.It certainly should be as recognition of Chris's and The Teams effort's!!!
said the unbiased Masters course car driver!!!!!

Although I am not competing I am pleased to see that Masters get their meeting as there would have been no winners if it had been cancelled. No pun intended!