Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 13 Feb 2008, 10:01 (Ref:2127769)   #401
brielga
Veteran

Uruguay
Bloemendaal, Netherlands
brielga should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger
New pics of the 997 up at end-info , but I cant get them to open . *%ß+##*

Sounds like Herr.Brielga has something to worry about then ..... gotta think up some new ingrediants for your Ju-Ju Brielga , ha !!!

Can someone please post'em here ?

They are also at www.project-lemans.de/

And its as I thought ..... its beautiful !!!
Try this instead...

http://www.planetlemans.com/2008/02/...08-gt2-weapon/
Old 13 Feb 2008, 10:07 (Ref:2127773)   #402
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
http://www.endurance-info.com/article.php?sid=4895 already did the trick and has more pictures.
Old 13 Feb 2008, 10:42 (Ref:2127792)   #403
brielga
Veteran

Uruguay
Bloemendaal, Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwyllion
http://www.endurance-info.com/article.php?sid=4895 already did the trick and has more pictures.
Sure, Badger was just claiming he could not open them for some reason... the press release is the same.
Old 13 Feb 2008, 10:59 (Ref:2127809)   #404
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Thye are working properly now brielga ..... So , what do you think about our new dumping donkey beater then mate ?
Old 13 Feb 2008, 11:01 (Ref:2127813)   #405
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
I think the new front bumper looks rather ugly
Old 13 Feb 2008, 11:04 (Ref:2127814)   #406
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
I think the arse end looks lovely !!!
Old 13 Feb 2008, 11:07 (Ref:2127815)   #407
brielga
Veteran

Uruguay
Bloemendaal, Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger
I think the arse end looks lovely !!!
A pity that the Ferraris won't be able to appreciate it...until they lap them!!!!
Old 13 Feb 2008, 11:17 (Ref:2127820)   #408
The Badger
Veteran

Yeah ..... the Ferrari wouldnt know anything about a nice arse at all ..... except for grid girls !!!
Old 13 Feb 2008, 16:14 (Ref:2128005)   #409
NightStalk3r
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wiltshire, England
NightStalk3r should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNightStalk3r should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's Beautifull as i would expect from porsche, and a sure fire title winner all over the world for 2008.
Old 13 Feb 2008, 17:55 (Ref:2128093)   #410
Dario911
Veteran

Italy
Somewhere in the world...
Dario911 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We are going to win everything, in 2008!

Porsche 911 GT3 RSR: The King is back!
Le Mans, 23/06/2013, 15:00, Allan we miss you!
Porsche 1°-2° in GTE-Pro class with 991 GT3 RSR
Porsche 1st. place in GTE-Am class with 997 GT3 RSR
Old 13 Feb 2008, 17:56 (Ref:2128094)   #411
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyderman
Furthermore, you will notice that the ALMs has inducted into the Sebring Sports Car Racing Hall of Fame, PENSKE and Audi (amongst others) , and not PORSCHE and Audi , admitting that Roger Penske is in fact the team owner.
That's like saying Joest is not an Audi factory team.

Dyson are a privateer, as are the European teams.

Porsche AG may enter a team at Le Mans if going for an overall win, but the recent trend has been to support a favoured team.
Old 14 Feb 2008, 06:32 (Ref:2128471)   #412
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Never claimed they were private! Have been saying over and over, and over, and over, that they are a semi -works team.
Old 17 Feb 2008, 13:44 (Ref:2130872)   #413
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"PORSCHE 911 GT3 RSR - MOST POWERFUL RACING 911 – SIGNIFICANTLY IMPROVED FOR 2008

The most distinguishing visual feature of the new GT3 RSR is the front end which received major improvements to the aerodynamics. The majority of innovations, however, are hidden under the weight-optimized body.

The first American team to announce that it will compete with the 2008 Porsche 911 GT3 RSR is the Sonoma, Calif.-based Flying Lizard Motorsports squad, which will enter the GT2 class of the American Le Mans Series with three of the new 911 race cars. Porsche factory drivers Joerg Bergmeister, Wolf Henzler and Patrick Pilet will join veteran Darren Law and Lizard owners Seth Neiman, Lonnie Pechnik and Johannes van Overbeek in the team's effort to win its first ALMS GT2 championship.

side from the additional spoilers on the front apron, new flicks, optimized air ducting with newly-designed side air outlets, generate more downforce and reduces drag. The rear end including the rear wing was taken from last year's race car. Extensive changes to the suspension dynamics increase mechanical grip considerably. The range of possible suspension set-ups have been increased.

The 3.8-liter boxer engine of the GT3 RSR remains unchanged apart from slight improvements to details. It delivers 465 hp (342 kW) at 8,000 revs per minute and delivers a maximum torque of 430 Nm at 7,250 revs. The rev limiter of the efficient six-cylinder kicks in at 9,400 rpm.

Much of the know-how in the GT3 RSR's totally new gearbox has come from the Porsche RS Spyder LMP2 prototype. The sequential six-speed unit, developed by Porsche engineers, is considerably lighter than its predecessor. Internal friction was substantially reduced. The flat angle of the drive shafts allows teams a wider range of suspension set-ups.

Including the GT3 Cup and the GT3 Cup S, the GT3 RSR is the third race car based on the Porsche 911 offered by Porsche Motorsport. Thirty-five units of this fastest and most powerful 911 long distance racer are being produced in Porsche's R&D and Motorsports headquarters Weissach, Germany, and are currently being delivered to customer teams around the globe. The price of the GT3 RSR is 349,800 Euro plus VAT ($510,065 at one Euro = $1.45816)."

Technical specs can be found here.

http://www.americanlemans.com/News/Article.aspx?ID=3926
Old 17 Feb 2008, 14:19 (Ref:2130894)   #414
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
@AU N EGL: http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...47#post2127747 and following messages.
Old 18 Feb 2008, 09:21 (Ref:2131596)   #415
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
http://www.planetlemans.com/2008/02/...erform-in-gt2/ has an interesting comment:
Quote:
More than one US ALMS team has asked Porsche to allow them to race the Cayman either in ALMS or Grand Am and Porsche has responded that if they do, Porsche will pull their support for the 911 from any team doing so.
Old 18 Feb 2008, 10:19 (Ref:2131643)   #416
chewymonster
Veteran

chewymonster should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No way will Porsche run the Cayman. The 911 is the flagship and the Cayman only has a 3.4 engine in stock version (not sure how far you can go from the stock)
Old 18 Feb 2008, 12:23 (Ref:2131733)   #417
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwyllion
If it happens, I think in Grand Am, there's already a team in the DP-class running the V8 from the Cayenne without Porsches blessing, and BMW are not really happy with the M6 in the GT-class either, so I could imagine someone building a prep2(=tubeframe) version of the Cayman, without Porsche's help.
Old 24 Mar 2008, 19:49 (Ref:2160509)   #418
mawu
Rookie

Austria
mawu should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi folks,

a couple of days ago I started a similar thread at http://www.ferrarichat.com but this discussion here is exactly what I was looking for, I read all 417 posts from the beginning last year... very interesting. In the recent posts the thread lost a bit of its objectiveness though...

Porsche dominated the GT class in the last couple of years but you have to admit that there was absolutely no competition and a bit boring somehow. I was very happy that Ferrari did so good with the 360 GTC and in the GT1 class - such beatiful cars all around!

Isn't it a perfect world?

Several manufacturers, not only Porsche, build track capable street legal sports cars, which race from club sport to Le Mans. Don't you love Porsche, Ferrari, Aston Martin, Lamborghini and Corvette really competing with each other? It's not like 15 years ago when Porsche and Mercedes destroyed GT1 with their prototypes.

I am just a bit disappointed by Porsche not to support their teams sufficiently which is probably the main reason why teams switch and the car is not as developped and competitive as it could be. On the other hand the 997 GT3 RSR is not uncompetitive at all and I am curious how it will work out this season with the 2008 version.

Dario911: Your in depth statements were very interesting (amongst others from Spyderman, old man etc.). Are you a member of a Porsche Club or how did you manage to get so close on the track? BTW - I do some hobby racing myself on a 997 GT3 RS.

Regards, Martin
Old 24 Mar 2008, 20:35 (Ref:2160555)   #419
The Badger
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawu
It's not like 15 years ago when Porsche and Mercedes destroyed GT1 with their prototypes.
How could they destroy the championship , if the cars were legal to the then presant rules ? They complied .....

Its just that the other manufacturers couldnt or wouldnt , build a car that could compette against them !!!

Even the 911 GT1 was legal , just like the McLaren F1 GTR was too . What was said at the time about the Porsche was , that it wasnt built to the "spirit of the rules" ..... you can hardly blame Porsche for taking advantage of a loop hole , can you ?
Old 24 Mar 2008, 22:59 (Ref:2160712)   #420
mawu
Rookie

Austria
mawu should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Badger,

of course you are right - rules are rules. But the series started very interesting and promising and the the works teams came in. Porsche was the first to homologate a special built car and explored the rules further. The McLaren F1 wasn't built with that specific purpose. With the GT1 Porsche dominated a while, but then Mercedes came in and "stretched" the rules even further – then they dominated. That's at least my memory of how it was. Of course you can't blame them, but I think you have to tame them in order to keep a series interesting. It's very difficult in motorsports but constant domination without a fight is boring.

Most of the cars in GT1 and GT2 nowadays compare better, what do you think? At least the 360 GT and GT3 RSR are. I just like seeing them racing and I am not very manufacturer-oriented although I am pretty much involved with Porsche. That's why, of course, I am on their side...

Regards, Martin
Old 24 Mar 2008, 23:09 (Ref:2160717)   #421
The Badger
Veteran

Quote:
Most of the cars in GT1 and GT2 nowadays compare better, what do you think? At least the 360 GT and GT3 RSR are. I just like seeing them racing and I am not very manufacturer-oriented although I am pretty much involved with Porsche. That's why, of course, I am on their side...

Regards, Martin
Hi Martin ..... welcome to 10 10ths by the way .

Yep ..... I also hate to see a runaway car or team ..... When its almost a foregone conclusion , it does loose a lot of the entertainment value .

I think the presant day GT2 works very well indeed , but with respect to GT1 , if it was left solely to the privateer it would be better , cuz the privateer cant compette with factory or factory disguised teams , like AMG , Pratt & Miller etc .

I like to see factory teams , but then again , what happens to a series when they decide to leave it . Its normally supported by the privateer . But then the privateer gets shafted when the big boys decide they want to play ball again .
Old 24 Mar 2008, 23:36 (Ref:2160734)   #422
Dario911
Veteran

Italy
Somewhere in the world...
Dario911 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Hi folks,

a couple of days ago I started a similar thread at http://www.ferrarichat.com but this discussion here is exactly what I was looking for, I read all 417 posts from the beginning last year... very interesting. In the recent posts the thread lost a bit of its objectiveness though...

Porsche dominated the GT class in the last couple of years but you have to admit that there was absolutely no competition and a bit boring somehow. I was very happy that Ferrari did so good with the 360 GTC and in the GT1 class - such beatiful cars all around!

Isn't it a perfect world?

Several manufacturers, not only Porsche, build track capable street legal sports cars, which race from club sport to Le Mans. Don't you love Porsche, Ferrari, Aston Martin, Lamborghini and Corvette really competing with each other? It's not like 15 years ago when Porsche and Mercedes destroyed GT1 with their prototypes.

I am just a bit disappointed by Porsche not to support their teams sufficiently which is probably the main reason why teams switch and the car is not as developped and competitive as it could be. On the other hand the 997 GT3 RSR is not uncompetitive at all and I am curious how it will work out this season with the 2008 version.

Dario911: Your in depth statements were very interesting (amongst others from Spyderman, old man etc.). Are you a member of a Porsche Club or how did you manage to get so close on the track? BTW - I do some hobby racing myself on a 997 GT3 RS.

Regards, Martin

Hi Martin! I'm a greatful Porsche fan. I'm a racing history lover and I'm working to a book about Porsche's victories in Le Mans. I know some people in Porsche Italia and some team naganers, gt and protos drivers. They've told me a lot of interesting things you could hardly find on the web!
Hush hush!
I'm waiting to buy my first Porsche (I can't wait too long!). You are very lucky to drive a car like yours!
Thank you for my posts appreciation! I hope to meet you again!
Good vibes, Martin!
Le Mans, 23/06/2013, 15:00, Allan we miss you!
Porsche 1°-2° in GTE-Pro class with 991 GT3 RSR
Porsche 1st. place in GTE-Am class with 997 GT3 RSR
Old 25 Mar 2008, 02:53 (Ref:2160815)   #423
The Badger
Veteran

Hey mawu , what part of Austria do you live in ?
Old 25 Mar 2008, 06:47 (Ref:2160856)   #424
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Welcome to the forum Martin!
It's good to have another Porsche sympathizer amongst us.

GT1 - My thoughts on GT1 are that it is in such a mess mainly due to the regulations. The moment that the ACO castrated the Turbo's, they made it virtually impossible for any manufacturer to compete unless they produced a 6L V8 road car.
I'm never in favor of ruling manufacturers out of any class. They are the ones that contribute to the growth in the classes (i.e. see what happened to LMP2 when Porsche and Acura joined in)

Now back to the topic:

Have you guys noticed that the fastest 997RSR lap time this year at Sebring was 2:02.721 and the fastest GT2 lap time last year (set by last years 997RSR) was 2:02.723?
So far, I'd say that we have not seen the talked about improvement of the 997 RSR EVO.
Let's hope that the following race serves to confirm it's vaunted improvement.
Old 25 Mar 2008, 17:03 (Ref:2161319)   #425
The Badger
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyderman
Have you guys noticed that the fastest 997RSR lap time this year at Sebring was 2:02.721 and the fastest GT2 lap time last year (set by last years 997RSR) was 2:02.723?
So far, I'd say that we have not seen the talked about improvement of the 997 RSR EVO.
Let's hope that the following race serves to confirm it's vaunted improvement.
Well , I reckon there will be big improvements over the coming months . But it is a great effort , outta the box .