Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 27 Feb 2013, 18:55 (Ref:3211769)   #401
JLGarcia
Racer

JLGarcia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJLGarcia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
If they could get DHH to run with them they would be doing well.
He's already entered in the Performance Tech LMPC.
Old 27 Feb 2013, 19:00 (Ref:3211776)   #402
MyNameIsNigel
Veteran

Switzerland
Lake Geneva Area
MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxk1 View Post
So the Deltawing is listed as a P1. Have there been upgrades to justify this classification? Will it be able to keep up with the other P1s besides the Audis?

DK
I am not getting the logic behind running the DeltaWing in the P1 class. At the 24h of Le Mans in 2012, the DW was "tuned" to the level of the P2s. While, it is clear that the DW could potentially run faster than the P2s, the only opportunity for the DW to continue to race in endurance racing beyond 2013 will be the "Grand-AmLMS" series. Rather than showcasing the DW in the P1 class, wouldn't it make more sense to let it run, competitively, in the P2 class so as to generate interest amongst "Grand-AmLMS" participants in anticipation of 2014 ?
Old 27 Feb 2013, 19:47 (Ref:3211792)   #403
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLGarcia View Post
He's already entered in the Performance Tech LMPC.
He sure is, but that is an easy switch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsNigel View Post
I am not getting the logic behind running the DeltaWing in the P1 class. At the 24h of Le Mans in 2012, the DW was "tuned" to the level of the P2s. While, it is clear that the DW could potentially run faster than the P2s, the only opportunity for the DW to continue to race in endurance racing beyond 2013 will be the "Grand-AmLMS" series. Rather than showcasing the DW in the P1 class, wouldn't it make more sense to let it run, competitively, in the P2 class so as to generate interest amongst "Grand-AmLMS" participants in anticipation of 2014 ?
The DW will have a new engine developed by Elan, so presumably it will be faster, but possibly less efficient.
Old 27 Feb 2013, 20:11 (Ref:3211800)   #404
FstrthnU
Veteran

United States
FstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

Audi's lineup confirmed:

#1 2012-spec E-Tron Quattro Treluyer-Jarvis-Fassler

#2 2013-spec E-Tron Quattro Kristensen-McNish-di Grassi

I presume that Lotterer has a Super GT commitment or something like that?
Old 27 Feb 2013, 20:12 (Ref:3211802)   #405
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hedlund View Post
Cosmo and Brown are rated as Silver in ALMS.

-mike
Any chance you'll be doing double duty at Sebring with your mates?
Old 27 Feb 2013, 20:14 (Ref:3211804)   #406
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FstrthnU View Post
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

Audi's lineup confirmed:

#1 2012-spec E-Tron Quattro Treluyer-Jarvis-Fassler

#2 2013-spec E-Tron Quattro Kristensen-McNish-di Grassi

I presume that Lotterer has a Super GT commitment or something like that?
Line-up was confirmed a few weeks ago, and Lotterer did indeed confirm that he won't be at Sebring due to prior commitments in Japan.
Old 27 Feb 2013, 20:15 (Ref:3211806)   #407
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsNigel View Post
I am not getting the logic behind running the DeltaWing in the P1 class.
Apparently due to no cost cap on the chassis and a bespoke racing engine. It better be dialled back to make sure it doesn't win. The 2013 season will lose all credibility if it did IMO, as it is outside the rules.
Old 27 Feb 2013, 21:51 (Ref:3211862)   #408
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada ALMS fan View Post
Apparently due to no cost cap on the chassis and a bespoke racing engine. It better be dialled back to make sure it doesn't win. The 2013 season will lose all credibility if it did IMO, as it is outside the rules.
Sorry, not laughing at you... This is an engine that I doubt has even turned a lap yet. I sniff Jaguar.
Old 27 Feb 2013, 21:57 (Ref:3211865)   #409
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
If it makes the race DeltaWing 2.0 will be lucky to make it out of the first hour I reckon.
Old 27 Feb 2013, 22:15 (Ref:3211875)   #410
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!
Abruzziwing
Old 27 Feb 2013, 23:26 (Ref:3211932)   #411
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund View Post
Sorry, not laughing at you... This is an engine that I doubt has even turned a lap yet. I sniff Jaguar.
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Wouldn't we all rather Mr. Panoz field a pair of quality customer chassis LMP1 in his series for the same money he has wasted on all his projects the past few years?
Old 27 Feb 2013, 23:31 (Ref:3211935)   #412
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
I thought he should have continued with the Panoz LMP-1. But whatever!
Old 27 Feb 2013, 23:40 (Ref:3211939)   #413
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
I thought he should have continued with the Panoz LMP-1. But whatever!
That was the only proper real effort.
Old 28 Feb 2013, 00:10 (Ref:3211959)   #414
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Hmmmmm...
http://www.dailysportscar.com/viewAr...A69BE291F11B90
Any takers?
Old 28 Feb 2013, 00:14 (Ref:3211961)   #415
Livininthinair
Veteran

United States
Colorado
Livininthinair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLivininthinair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Wouldn't we all rather Mr. Panoz field a pair of quality customer chassis LMP1 in his series for the same money he has wasted on all his projects the past few years?

I wish he would have spent the money on the series - marketing, prize money, advervising, tv package, marketing, advertising, prize money, tv package, marketing, advertising, tv package, track modernization, prize money, marketing, advertising, tv package, track modernization, young driver sponsorships, marketing, tv package, prize money, young driver program...

YOU GET WHERE I'M GOING WITH THIS RIGHT...

Maybe a little marketing.... some advertising.... 'A' tv package? track modernization... maybe....young driver sponsorship program...

OR how about some car that does not follow any type of current rules package.... or marketing.... advertising.... tv package...

It is probably the cold medicine talking BUT - the ALMS was his toy box and he spent his money how he wished - but it could have been so much more with some buisness sense behind it.............
Old 28 Feb 2013, 03:36 (Ref:3212047)   #416
Dyson Mazda
Veteran

United States
Charlotte, NC
Dyson Mazda should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDyson Mazda should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Does Enzo still need a car for the WEC? They could have just swapped rides for the season.
Old 28 Feb 2013, 04:27 (Ref:3212053)   #417
DeathOrGlory
Racer

DeathOrGlory should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I am quite impressed with the driving talent in all the classes. It's expected in LMP and GT, but even in the Challenge classes will be tough to pull off the victory!
Sebring will be war due to all that hardcore talent.
Old 28 Feb 2013, 05:04 (Ref:3212059)   #418
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyson Mazda View Post
Does Enzo still need a car for the WEC? They could have just swapped rides for the season.
8Star's car for the WEC is run by AF Corse, so it's probably the ex-Waltrip car.
Old 1 Mar 2013, 15:58 (Ref:3212783)   #419
pach233
Veteran

United States
Greenville, SC
pach233 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpach233 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Brabs and Lazarro joining ESM for Sebring.

Cosmo in the 01 and JVO in the 02.

At work now, so I don't really want to search for the link to the article but both ESM and ALMS have tweeted it. Both ESM cars and both Level 5 cars have really really good lineups, should be a heck of a battle. Always great to see Brabs get a decent ride as well. Absolute legend.
Old 1 Mar 2013, 16:00 (Ref:3212784)   #420
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pach233 View Post
Always great to see Brabs get a decent ride as well.
Fantastic to see him back!
Old 1 Mar 2013, 16:14 (Ref:3212789)   #421
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Olivier Pla and Andy Meyrick will race the DeltaWing at Sebring according to Marcel.

Interesting picks. Entrylist filling out nicely with talent.
Old 1 Mar 2013, 16:48 (Ref:3212797)   #422
wheelz22
Racer

United States
NJ
wheelz22 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
Olivier Pla and Andy Meyrick will race the DeltaWing at Sebring according to Marcel.

Interesting picks. Entry list filling out nicely with talent.
Agree....it is indeed quite a nice field this year....I see numerous dogfights taking place....
Old 1 Mar 2013, 17:09 (Ref:3212809)   #423
Ephaeton
Veteran

Austria
Between Österreichring and Nordschleife
Ephaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livininthinair View Post
(...)

YOU GET WHERE I'M GOING WITH THIS RIGHT...

Maybe a little marketing.... some advertising.... 'A' tv package?
You're aware that sane people would have to buy access to a tv network first, which then offers one thing they wanna have (race broadcast of a previously more or less sane racing series). In other words, you pay 99.5% penalty (wouldn't call that a price) for the .5% content you wanna have.

Why is the "tv package" a good thing?! Free broadcasts and re-broadcasts of all material in up to full hd via the 'net. On the latter, at least you have the choice of dung you're eating.

I understand there's about 3x more TVs in the US than people, but that's an abscess that's being corrected gradually and constantly with all the 'smart' phones, tablets etc.
Old 1 Mar 2013, 19:07 (Ref:3212849)   #424
Livininthinair
Veteran

United States
Colorado
Livininthinair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLivininthinair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
^^^^^^
if people that are not aware of your series or that are casual race fans that watch other series never see anything about it on tv the amount of viewers will never increase. By having your event broadcast on tv you accumulate fans that you would not otherwise reach through other means (net/word of mouth) - I know I went on a rant (it was the cold medicine talking)... Just my opinion...

I personally would be fine with HD web based on demand service, but if someone doesn't know about the race in the first place then you never increase your numbers, you never attract new sponsors ect. ect.....
Old 1 Mar 2013, 21:28 (Ref:3212901)   #425
Ephaeton
Veteran

Austria
Between Österreichring and Nordschleife
Ephaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I see the point. What I'd be curious about is how transient the following of these fans is. I assume a certain percentage will be sticking to the new series they've found broadcasted on TV. Others will find other things to follow that they appreciate more. It's sort of a passive thing, because in the end the program schedule is made for you.

But that assumes a mindset of people sitting at home, mostly consuming what has been pre-mixed to them. Ok, I can accept the mindset, people are lazy (me too), but: sites like racer or racing or autosport or things like that, the sites that you would sort of begin your search for information about racing, already aggregate a pretty decent multiverse of racing IMHO.

So, being on TV is good because it allows the explorative fan to find the series in his native hunting ground. My point is, I'm questioning the choice of hunting ground. Nowadays, if you're curious about something, you don't wait half a day until something is broadcasted. In the 90s, you might have. Nowadays, someone asks you something you get curious about, you pull out your smartphone and ask wikipedia, google.. ALMS replays at youtube e.g. are a smart thing. What is ALMS? Can I have a video please? *PLAY*. How can TV cope with that?

So, what's good for a series? Having fans who are really interested in the tiny bits and pieces, what sets you apart, what you have in common with the rest of the sports-universe you're sharing with other series? Or people with a short attention span that need to see cars bumping into each other, preferably producing big smoke clouds and a tv comment screaming at them: WOW! AND HE HIT HIM! AND LOOK AT THIS GUY! HE NEARLY MISSED HIM HEHE!

I think the explorative fan nowadays takes other paths. I don't want to watch a racing series that's being hammered into shape to give a good average 25 second level of excitement (to catch zapping/channel-surfing people)...