Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Closed Thread

Old 27 Oct 2013, 17:22 (Ref:3323753)   #4276
BullMan
Veteran

BullMan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The entry list is open in 4 days, yet only GTE actually has rules. Well, we assume they have rules. TUSC could switch it up and screw with the GTE cars somehow.

You can't speed LMPC up. They would be faster than LMP2 and DP at that point. Adding 130 lbs to a P2 is going to close the gap between the two classes.
Old 27 Oct 2013, 17:35 (Ref:3323759)   #4277
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Jonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
Nothing new there. No talk about minimum weight for DP. A few different things open though. One piece forged wheels and carbon brakes will save some weight.
That article which is likely plagiarized from two different second hand sources does not reflect the draft rules particularly well. The DPs will lose some weight, outside of the forged wheels and carbon brakes, according to inside sources.

Chris
Old 27 Oct 2013, 17:40 (Ref:3323761)   #4278
Lagunaseca_4life
Veteran

United States
Central Valley CA
Lagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I guess 8star won't be affected by venezuelas sponsorship freeze, but has changing plans due to the prototype regs.wont be running a p2 and maybe not even a dp.
Old 27 Oct 2013, 17:42 (Ref:3323762)   #4279
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullMan View Post
You can't speed LMPC up. They would be faster than LMP2 and DP at that point. Adding 130 lbs to a P2 is going to close the gap between the two classes.
So it's okay they are already stuck in the middle of the GTE/GTC class??
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 27 Oct 2013, 17:53 (Ref:3323764)   #4280
Mike Hedlund
Veteran

United States
Redwood City, CA
Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMedic9019 View Post
So it's okay they are already stuck in the middle of the GTE/GTC class??
LMPC's aren't stuck anywhere near GTC (or GTD if they target GTC pace). And they're only similar in pace to GTE when the slowest of the Am's are driving.

-mike
Old 27 Oct 2013, 17:57 (Ref:3323768)   #4281
David Land
Veteran

United States
Franklin, Indiana
David Land has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hedlund View Post
LMPC's aren't stuck anywhere near GTC (or GTD if they target GTC pace). And they're only similar in pace to GTE when the slowest of the Am's are driving.

-mike
This is quite true Mike.

Watching Petit it was very obvious when the Am drivers were in the P2 cars because the PC cars could race them, but when Marino Franchictti or David Brabham got in they sailed away from the PC cars. With IMSA P essentially going to be all-pro next year I imagine the LMPC cars could be sped up slightly and not bother the P cars.
Old 27 Oct 2013, 18:01 (Ref:3323769)   #4282
BullMan
Veteran

In the rain it seems like the LMPCs slow way down, but that might also be the Ams in the car and not the true wet performance capabilities of the car. Of course, when it rains a GT car is going to be hindered less by it than a prototype which relies on downforce more.
Old 27 Oct 2013, 18:03 (Ref:3323770)   #4283
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

-mike
I'll give you GTC...but, they are right in the head end of GTE laptimes, and more often than not, in the middle of GTE. You know just as well as I that GTC is just as fast in a straighline as GTE. If PC gets slowed down at all, they will legitimately be in the middle of the GTE race.

P2/DP need to be well quicker, PC needs to be three to four sec/lap quicker, and GTE/GTD(C) need to be left as is. The gaps will be appropriate at that point, and less issues with traffic will occur.
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 27 Oct 2013, 19:00 (Ref:3323798)   #4284
Mike Hedlund
Veteran

United States
Redwood City, CA
Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
I'll give you GTC...but, they are right in the head end of GTE laptimes, and more often than not, in the middle of GTE. You know just as well as I that GTC is just as fast in a straighline as GTE. If PC gets slowed down at all, they will legitimately be in the middle of the GTE race.

P2/DP need to be well quicker, PC needs to be three to four sec/lap quicker, and GTE/GTD(C) need to be left as is. The gaps will be appropriate at that point, and less issues with traffic will occur.
GTC is in the middle of GTE? Are you high?

You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about in terms of what effects traffic and what doesn't.

-mike
Old 27 Oct 2013, 19:00 (Ref:3323799)   #4285
EricS
Racer

United States
Austin, TX
EricS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullMan View Post
In the rain it seems like the LMPCs slow way down, but that might also be the Ams in the car and not the true wet performance capabilities of the car. Of course, when it rains a GT car is going to be hindered less by it than a prototype which relies on downforce more.
That's more attributed to the performance of the Continental PC wet tires from what I've heard.
Old 27 Oct 2013, 19:19 (Ref:3323808)   #4286
Ginaro Zukovsky
Racer

Ginaro Zukovsky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Quoting myself from earlier in the month because you seem to be unaware of the facts:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginaro Zukovsky View Post
There's at least 2-3s gap between the slowest PC and fastest GTE cars looking at the qualifying times on the tracks that will be run next season.
Old 27 Oct 2013, 19:23 (Ref:3323811)   #4287
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
Quote:
GTC is in the middle of GTE? Are you high?

You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about in terms of what effects traffic and what doesn't.

-mike
You didn't read it right, nor did I explain my point correctly..
Old 27 Oct 2013, 20:45 (Ref:3323850)   #4288
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Qualifying doesn't equal the race. The PCs are faster than GTE, but not by much. If they stay the same speed, GTE will close up unless they BOP them not to.
Old 27 Oct 2013, 20:45 (Ref:3323849)   #4289
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think the kind of stuff MoMedic is talking about is GTC cars being a fast as GTEs on some straights, so that the GTEs can’t pass in a corner and gap them by the next corner, which can create clogs, and slow PCs doing the same with the front of the GTE field—I seem to recall Long Beach was particularly bad for that (and I guess not an issue next year.)

Slowing P2s by a couple seconds might create some traffic, but since PC and P2 have about the same cornering potential (depending on driver) so they might not impede one another too terribly—maybe the P2 can’t pass as easily but also hopefully won’t be slowed much (again, depending on driver) and no one knows how DPs will handle the greater downforce and already higher weight.

Sebring is going to be a circus. Winter Test ought to be fun and the race should be totally nuts. I cannot imagine what a heavy DP might be like bouncing around Turn 17, and 3-4-5, 7, and 10 ought to be pretty entertaining as well.

One note on Peter Buck—if he is the guy who gave the huge break to Telmex-Ganasssi just in time to totally dominate the 2103 Rolex, he needs to be out sick the day the BoP decisions are made.
Old 27 Oct 2013, 21:40 (Ref:3323876)   #4290
BullMan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
I think the kind of stuff MoMedic is talking about is GTC cars being a fast as GTEs on some straights, so that the GTEs can’t pass in a corner and gap them by the next corner, which can create clogs, and slow PCs doing the same with the front of the GTE field—I seem to recall Long Beach was particularly bad for that (and I guess not an issue next year.)

Slowing P2s by a couple seconds might create some traffic, but since PC and P2 have about the same cornering potential (depending on driver) so they might not impede one another too terribly—maybe the P2 can’t pass as easily but also hopefully won’t be slowed much (again, depending on driver) and no one knows how DPs will handle the greater downforce and already higher weight.

Sebring is going to be a circus. Winter Test ought to be fun and the race should be totally nuts. I cannot imagine what a heavy DP might be like bouncing around Turn 17, and 3-4-5, 7, and 10 ought to be pretty entertaining as well.

One note on Peter Buck—if he is the guy who gave the huge break to Telmex-Ganasssi just in time to totally dominate the 2103 Rolex, he needs to be out sick the day the BoP decisions are made.
Would you say that the 2013 Rolex 24 was not a "high point" for Grand-Am?
Old 27 Oct 2013, 22:58 (Ref:3323917)   #4291
jeast
Racer

jeast User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
The idea of sharing the proposed regs with the teams is a really good idea---if it is done halfway through the season, so the teams can submit feedback, the series can absorb and integrate it all, and the regs can be published in time for teams to plan for the next season. In this case ...
Well I think the regs maybe out by halfway next season.

Quote:
It's going to be a trainwreck, I'm only hoping that the series isn't completely devastated with a lack of entries due to crappy timing.
Maybe that will kill the series faster and someone who actually cares about sports car racing can pick up the pieces.
Old 27 Oct 2013, 23:57 (Ref:3323955)   #4292
jasonjessica09
Veteran

jasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
IMSA might be regretting not releasing the technical regs earlier. Way too much scrambling amongst the teams right now. Why was it held off until October anyway?

Another topic, I think LMPC will be slowed down some. Probably a 10 mm decrease of the air restrictor? That is something that can be implemented on a single day I think. Don't worry about the speed issue between LMPC and GTLM. Those two classes will only be together for 7 races on the TUSC schedule and they are on bigger tracks including the 4 NAEC races so they will spread out enough.
Old 28 Oct 2013, 00:09 (Ref:3323960)   #4293
jeast
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonjessica09 View Post
IMSA might be regretting not releasing the technical regs earlier. Way too much scrambling amongst the teams right now. Why was it held off until October anyway?
I know right, was there even anything in there that wasn't predicted by just about everyone from day one of the merger?
Old 28 Oct 2013, 01:27 (Ref:3323979)   #4294
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Jonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

Richard, and I believe that was a Scot Elkins decision.

Chris
Old 28 Oct 2013, 01:48 (Ref:3323987)   #4295
jasonjessica09
Veteran

jasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Do you think the GTLM cars will get faster again in 2014? Pole time at Sebring was in the 1 min 58's. That Corvette C7R looks like a beast. The other makes are still developing too. The only car that is fully developed I think now is the Ferrari. So in to the 1 57's now? I think GTLM will be close to P and PC in speed no matter what the regs are.
Old 28 Oct 2013, 10:46 (Ref:3324143)   #4296
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Lol... Peter Buck was the original guitarist with R.E.M. Not an auto enthusiast as I recall. Age is eating my brain---whatever's left of it.

If it was Scot Elkins, he needs to not make a similar mistake this time around. In 2013 the BMWs were ridiculously more powerful than everyone else, and no one else really had a chance---even with the ridiculous Rolex lucky-pack-of-dogs wave-by rules.

Last edited by Maelochs; 28 Oct 2013 at 10:52.
Old 28 Oct 2013, 17:31 (Ref:3324332)   #4297
Mechanic Z
Veteran

United States
Mos Eisley
Mechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonjessica09 View Post
Do you think the GTLM cars will get faster again in 2014? Pole time at Sebring was in the 1 min 58's. That Corvette C7R looks like a beast. The other makes are still developing too. The only car that is fully developed I think now is the Ferrari. So in to the 1 57's now? I think GTLM will be close to P and PC in speed no matter what the regs are.
Not sure how close they'll be to the prototype teams, but I think it's a safe bet that they'll pick up some pace. They get a bit quicker every year, because they are able to develop the cars.
Old 28 Oct 2013, 19:59 (Ref:3324391)   #4298
wheelz22
Racer

United States
NJ
wheelz22 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricS View Post
That's more attributed to the performance of the Continental PC wet tires from what I've heard.
Don't forget traction control vs no traction control
Old 29 Oct 2013, 01:56 (Ref:3324543)   #4299
jeast
Racer

http://sportscar365.com/imsa/tusc/im...l-regulations/

DP Regs 2.0

I know that new found freedom wouldn't last very long with nascar in charge.
Old 29 Oct 2013, 02:17 (Ref:3324549)   #4300
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeast View Post
http://sportscar365.com/imsa/tusc/im...l-regulations/

DP Regs 2.0

I know that new found freedom wouldn't last very long with nascar in charge.
Interesting part is:

Quote:
**Maximum displacement for turbocharged engines has been increased from 3.4 to 3.5 liters
The ford was always listed at 3.5 liters, did they just simply have it wrong in the first draft?
Closed Thread