Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 16 May 2015, 19:16 (Ref:3538228)   #426
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG View Post
There MAY be some grandfathering of currently (already built) DP cars. New cars from 2017 on will be built on the 4 cf chassis as agreed upon by the ACO and IMSA.

L.P.
Unless of course, IMSA has realized that there is little benefit to an ACO connection when you have no ACO cars running in your series.
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 16 May 2015, 19:36 (Ref:3538237)   #427
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMedic9019 View Post
Unless of course, IMSA has realized that there is little benefit to an ACO connection when you have no ACO cars running in your series.
The relationship will continue!

L.P.
Old 16 May 2015, 19:44 (Ref:3538243)   #428
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
As long as theyre new prototypes and are using current tech (like carbon fiber) it should be ok for dp. I think dp as it is now will continue on for a year or so, for grandfathering, but new regs will be introduced. Someone like Bentley could influence the way they're made and look.
Old 16 May 2015, 19:46 (Ref:3538244)   #429
carbon_titanium
Veteran

carbon_titanium should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcarbon_titanium should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
it's a quite easy for bentley to start a season in TUSC prototypes... just buy two or three riley chassis, put inside the same engine from the continental gt3 with a bodywork made by M-sport.
Old 16 May 2015, 19:48 (Ref:3538245)   #430
Bob Baldwin
Racer

United States
Shelbyville Ky
Bob Baldwin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mighty M : Well I might buy in to your thinking about $ 200 Million for the Factories Porsche / Audi but from a Privateer perspective I find it hard to believe many / Any team owners are spending more than $ 10 million per year for operational expenses .

Heck for 5 -6 million dollars you can run a Ferrari for the whole TUSC season in GTLM !!

MoMedic9019 : Perhaps They saw the Light : Perhaps " IMSA has tralized there is little benefit to an ACO connection when you have no ACO cars in your series "
Old 16 May 2015, 19:55 (Ref:3538251)   #431
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
The relationship will continue!
Agreements aren't worth the paper they are written on.

We are looking at three P2 cars(two of which aren't even LM24 eligible/ACO compliant), and three, maybe four GTE cars for next season. That's a pretty weak link.

The ACO couldn't give a toss as to what is going on here.
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 16 May 2015, 21:07 (Ref:3538303)   #432
TheMightyM
Veteran

TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Baldwin View Post
Mighty M : Well I might buy in to your thinking about $ 200 Million for the Factories Porsche / Audi but from a Privateer perspective I find it hard to believe many / Any team owners are spending more than $ 10 million per year for operational expenses .

Heck for 5 -6 million dollars you can run a Ferrari for the whole TUSC season in GTLM !!
Bob: I forgot where I heard it reported, but apparently three of the four factory P1 team's budget is believed to be $200 million+.

The P1 factory teams show up at the track with a lot more people than a privateer GTLM team would and I suspect that their cost structures are also a wee bit higher. Parts aren't cheaper either. Running those very complex P1 cars is just expensive. (I'm presuming that you'd need to establish a dedicated team to run the cars in the U.S.)

Throw in some development/testing work associated with Daytona, additional marketing expenditures (which might get buried in a different line item in the overall budget) and I really doubt that the total investment is less than about $40 million a year.
Old 16 May 2015, 21:31 (Ref:3538316)   #433
Bob Baldwin
Racer

United States
Shelbyville Ky
Mighty M : I do understand the point you are making . the ONLY ones that can afford it is the Factories . one offs Possibly Daytona , Maybe Sebring , would hope also Petite but the rest of the series .I just don't see it happening . What is the worth of doing such for a Privateer team ?
Old 16 May 2015, 21:33 (Ref:3538318)   #434
Rcz
Veteran

United States
Rcz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's a weird rumor about Bentley going DP. It's like that old Maserati and Audi rumor.

I'll believe it when I see it.
Old 16 May 2015, 21:37 (Ref:3538322)   #435
Bob Baldwin
Racer

United States
Shelbyville Ky
Bently to DP Pipe Dream at Best
Old 16 May 2015, 21:52 (Ref:3538328)   #436
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMightyM View Post
Bob: I forgot where I heard it reported, but apparently three of the four factory P1 team's budget is believed to be $200 million+.

The P1 factory teams show up at the track with a lot more people than a privateer GTLM team would and I suspect that their cost structures are also a wee bit higher. Parts aren't cheaper either. Running those very complex P1 cars is just expensive. (I'm presuming that you'd need to establish a dedicated team to run the cars in the U.S.)

Throw in some development/testing work associated with Daytona, additional marketing expenditures (which might get buried in a different line item in the overall budget) and I really doubt that the total investment is less than about $40 million a year.
Toyota say they spend a quarter what they spent in f1. That would be something like $75-$100million.
Old 16 May 2015, 21:55 (Ref:3538332)   #437
Gulf
Racer

Gulf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Baldwin View Post

MoMedic9019 : Perhaps They saw the Light : Perhaps " IMSA has tralized there is little benefit to an ACO connection when you have no ACO cars in your series "
Muscle Milk claimed it cost 5 million a year to run their P1 HPD, basically a nascar nationwide series budget. Its not because of the cost they got rid of P1 it was because there was no way it hell to make a DP faster.
Old 16 May 2015, 22:07 (Ref:3538336)   #438
TheMightyM
Veteran

TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!
“Audi's annual LMP1-H budget is $242 million.”

Source: Marshall Pruett, “Inside the Audi F1 rumors”, Racer, November 4, 2014. Link: Here.
Old 16 May 2015, 22:17 (Ref:3538339)   #439
BrentJackson
Racer

Canada
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
BrentJackson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBrentJackson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
There MAY be some grandfathering of currently (already built) DP cars. New cars from 2017 on will be built on the 4 cf chassis as agreed upon by the ACO and IMSA.

L.P.
Considering those rules have gone down like a lead brick with most of the team owners, constructions, OEMs and many sponsors, I'm thinking that the Bentley man might be right here. The number of ACO cars in IMSA is getting small and in the prototype categories is rapidly becoming next to none. If I were them, I'd have told the ACO where to shove it long before now.
Old 16 May 2015, 22:40 (Ref:3538348)   #440
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentJackson View Post
Considering those rules have gone down like a lead brick with most of the team owners, constructions, OEMs and many sponsors, I'm thinking that the Bentley man might be right here. The number of ACO cars in IMSA is getting small and in the prototype categories is rapidly becoming next to none. If I were them, I'd have told the ACO where to shove it long before now.
And, obviously, they've had conversations with IMSA that has led them to believe the current, or maybe a slightly updated DP is going to happen. Which, to me a carbon safety cell like DTM is the only probable change.

Until more is uncovered, I'll stick with my original thought that nothing will change, and DP carries on as we know it.
Old 16 May 2015, 23:27 (Ref:3538357)   #441
Damian Baldi
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Damian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The DPs have to disappear someday. Modern tubes are needed, if not, ask Memo Gidley. I had read that a DP was as expensive as a P2. I think the team owners don't want to start from scratch with a new car, and that's part of the problem.

By other side, american constructors have to design and build a P2. If they don't want to be P1 privateers and they want to compete at P2, they could use the same electronics as in WEC P2 to reduce costs. If they want keep freedom about electronics, they are at the same point to build a P2 or a P1 private.

all links about Coyote and Riley about the new P2
http://www.racer.com/imsa/item/11069...yote-eyeing-p2

http://sportscar365.com/industry/coy...017-lmp2-regs/

http://sportscar365.com/industry/ril...type-for-2017/

Last edited by Damian Baldi; 16 May 2015 at 23:37.
Old 17 May 2015, 00:45 (Ref:3538385)   #442
DeezPutz
Racer

DeezPutz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDeezPutz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm gonna call the Bentley dealer to see what they know but I don't expect much info. Stay tuned.
Old 17 May 2015, 02:43 (Ref:3538412)   #443
MagVanisher
Veteran

MagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMedic9019 View Post
And, obviously, they've had conversations with IMSA that has led them to believe the current, or maybe a slightly updated DP is going to happen. Which, to me a carbon safety cell like DTM is the only probable change.
I would support that instead of having to wait for IMSA to make a separate Class One series. The American DTM series is already a dead horse to me!

I mean, that chassis tub is suitable for a Bentley Continental than a narrow-shaped P2 one!
Old 17 May 2015, 12:00 (Ref:3538525)   #444
ger80
Veteran

Germany
Birmingham
ger80 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I also like the idea of a LMP3/DTM type carbon tub with stell roll cage - you can adjust the roll cage so the same carbon tub can be used for different shapes of car
Old 17 May 2015, 16:04 (Ref:3538597)   #445
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
I think what's more likely is what Merc have done on the SLS GT3: Have a carbon survival cell, but inside the actual frame and not as a structural part of the car. IIRC that was also done on the previous generation DTM cars.
Old 17 May 2015, 17:26 (Ref:3538615)   #446
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damian Baldi View Post
The DPs have to disappear someday. Modern tubes are needed, if not, ask Memo Gidley.
I love how everyone can only cite one crash with a severe injury in a DP, yet I can pull up multiple instances of broken backs in LMP1 cars...

(FWIW, Boris breaking a rib in the Marsh car last year doesn't count as a car related injury, as you can break a rib simply by sneezing really hard)
Old 17 May 2015, 17:42 (Ref:3538625)   #447
Bob Baldwin
Racer

United States
Shelbyville Ky
Does anyone know what the current status of Memo Gidley is ?
Old 17 May 2015, 17:46 (Ref:3538627)   #448
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
I love how everyone can only cite one crash with a severe injury in a DP, yet I can pull up multiple instances of broken backs in LMP1 cars...

(FWIW, Boris breaking a rib in the Marsh car last year doesn't count as a car related injury, as you can break a rib simply by sneezing really hard)
(FWIW compression fractures can happen by falling out of your chair and landing on your rump.) So. Kind of invalidates your claim here.... moving on.

Last edited by MoMedic9019; 17 May 2015 at 17:53.
Old 17 May 2015, 18:01 (Ref:3538632)   #449
FLGTFAN
Racer

United States
Naples, Florida
FLGTFAN has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Just compare Memo's accident to the one Greg Pickett had at M-O.
Old 17 May 2015, 18:55 (Ref:3538647)   #450
Lagunaseca_4life
Veteran

United States
Central Valley CA
Lagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yea I like DP's but when you at gidley's crash and the state of the car and then look at all the resent audi crashes at Le Mans I think a safety cell is needed.

Eventhough I didn't like Duval's crash last year during practice,looked like the door broke off and roof peeled back and his helmet was clearly visible.NOT GOOD.