Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 29 Jun 2012, 14:01 (Ref:3099863)   #426
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Have you seen the course layout for the rallycross yet Mark? Have they copied last years layout, or has it been tweaked?
Old 29 Jun 2012, 22:39 (Ref:3100035)   #427
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
welp....

photo c/o ERC24.

video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgBVL...e_gdata_player

topi broke his leg.

Last edited by Matt; 29 Jun 2012 at 23:08.
Old 29 Jun 2012, 23:41 (Ref:3100060)   #428
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
****. That looks like it hurt. Glad to see Heikkinen get himself out of the car, but he must be pretty bashed up after that (guess the car is a write off as well).

That metal ramp has a lot less give in it than the dirt ones, thats for sure...

NB: Hell of a photo!
Old 29 Jun 2012, 23:46 (Ref:3100061)   #429
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
apparently he has broken ribs and internal bleeding as well
Old 30 Jun 2012, 00:46 (Ref:3100068)   #430
I Rosputnik
Veteran

United Kingdom
Livingston, Scotland
I Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridI Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sigh...

They are still using that metal ramp rather then a dirt one? Right, that thing needs to go, now!

Motorsport is dangerous, but this is unneeded. Hope Heikkinen gets better.
Old 30 Jun 2012, 05:54 (Ref:3100096)   #431
trotter1979
Rookie

trotter1979 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What happened to Topi would of happened to Sverre in the other round when he stopped on the ramp as he knew he wasn't carrying enough speed yet he got disqualified, would they rather he crashes and causes damage to himself and the car.

Have to say grc is not for me its all too false whats the point of having jumps because at that point in time you cant actually race you have got to get in a queue and if one person gets held up the following drivers have to go for it and risk crashing or stop and get disqualified.

Im going to stick with the erc and brc, i've tried to watch grc but it bores me it's just like an exhibition its not racing.I can sit and watch european rallycross for hours but 5 mins of grc and i have to turn it off.

Having grown up just down the road from lydden i attend all the rallycross events i can and enjoy everyone. I know some will say there is no loose section anymore at lydden but its still good to watch as drivers have got to use the loose to try and overtake.

Im sorry if i upset anyone but these are my personal views i would love the grc to be the same format as erc and on proper rallycross tracks.
I can't fault the grc for the advertising and the quality drivers it attracts if only erc and brc could do the same, (gronholm two wheels at lydden) maybe they could introduce a guest car in erc imagine loeb, gronholm.

Bit long winded but my view.
Old 30 Jun 2012, 06:22 (Ref:3100100)   #432
USRallycross
Racer

United States
Minnesota (the True North)
USRallycross should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just to provide some facts. Topi broke his ankle in 15 places. There are no other reported injuries. This is bad but obviously could have been a lot worse and shame it happened to Topi who is such a great guy.

Personally and as the team we wish him a speedy recovery.

Everything is to fresh to get into discussion re the jump here. Tomorrow is a new day.

Mark
Old 30 Jun 2012, 07:57 (Ref:3100112)   #433
QuarterRik
Rookie

Belgium
Roeselare
QuarterRik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wonder whether Gronholm now so going to make such a scene of the accident Morten Bermingrud at Valkenswaard. Then he found rallycross suddenly too dangerous. Now they are artificial jumps with an installation that it looks that they weigh several thousand pounds, it was there simply to arrive. If you do not have enough speed gives you the other side not as simple as that. In Höljes they do not have that problem with their jump.
Old 30 Jun 2012, 08:47 (Ref:3100119)   #434
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by trotter1979 View Post
What happened to Topi would of happened to Sverre in the other round when he stopped on the ramp as he knew he wasn't carrying enough speed yet he got disqualified, would they rather he crashes and causes damage to himself and the car.
Yeah, I agree with this and still think the Isachsen disqualification was a poor move.

With regards to the Heikkinen incident I've got to ask the question: why were there no tyres or something on the edge of the landing ramp? I know it wouldn't stop much, but having that metal edge as a contact surface for any car that comes up short seems crazy.

I do hope this raises serious quentions at the GRC on the future of the gap jump: though I fear its too integral to the marketing of the GRC for it to be dropped now.
Old 30 Jun 2012, 09:45 (Ref:3100133)   #435
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Not saying other than "I told you so"
Old 30 Jun 2012, 09:49 (Ref:3100134)   #436
Barrie
Veteran

England
Colchester Essex
Barrie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looks like Topi had a problem with the left rear wheel before entering the ramp.
Old 30 Jun 2012, 09:52 (Ref:3100135)   #437
Barrie
Veteran

England
Colchester Essex
Barrie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtstt View Post

I do hope this raises serious quentions at the GRC on the future of the gap jump: though I fear its too integral to the marketing of the GRC for it to be dropped now.

Americans seem to like wrecks as much as the racing so doubt much will change, just annoying there calling it Rallycross.
Old 30 Jun 2012, 10:07 (Ref:3100139)   #438
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
welp....

photo c/o ERC24.

video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgBVL...e_gdata_player

topi broke his leg.
Just a matter of time this would happen...
Old 30 Jun 2012, 10:25 (Ref:3100143)   #439
I Rosputnik
Veteran

United Kingdom
Livingston, Scotland
I Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridI Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Now that I've had time to look at things, I can say that the jump gap is stupid beyond all reason. I've had a look around, and I'm a worried that no news has come from the GRC. (They seem to be keeping quiet among some very vocal fans on the facebook page against the ramp.) Every round there seems to be something that happens and the ramp has something to do with it. If they think this ramp defines the sport then god help them.

Can they at least put a something to fill the tap with to make it a bridge.

(I still stand by what I said a few days ago, I just hate this ramp.)
Old 30 Jun 2012, 11:00 (Ref:3100158)   #440
WJM
Racer

Netherlands
WJM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Come on, it's not the X-games for nothing? If they make a regular rallycross race out of this, it ain't "X-treme" enough.
When Pastrana crashed his motorbike last year, did anyone complain about needing more tyres, making smaller jumps, putting giant nets and what more? This is the same, but with cars.
You are all looking at it in the wrong way. A Rallycross race is happening in Höljes this weekend, a Rallycross show is being held in LA.
Old 30 Jun 2012, 11:04 (Ref:3100161)   #441
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
That is a scary accident - although having said that if he'd gone a bit lower then it could have been worse as the overhang could take the roof off before the front end hits the ramp supports. A big rethink needed. Hope Topi makes a full and speedy recovery.
Old 30 Jun 2012, 11:59 (Ref:3100171)   #442
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Bert you took the words out of my mouth, imagine what would happen if the nose fell below the rampline.
Old 30 Jun 2012, 16:30 (Ref:3100227)   #443
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie View Post
Americans seem to like wrecks as much as the racing so doubt much will change, just annoying there calling it Rallycross.
Not "Americans."

Every punter all over the world like wrecks, so just saying we do is a bit stupid.

Actually, it's not a bit stupid, it's a whole hell of a lot of stupid.

As for the ramp, they're turning it into a tabletop today.

Last edited by Matt; 30 Jun 2012 at 16:37.
Old 30 Jun 2012, 18:05 (Ref:3100241)   #444
I Rosputnik
Veteran

United Kingdom
Livingston, Scotland
Yep, Motors TV has a whole program dedicated to crashes.

It's good that it is becoming a table top. Common sense prevails!
Old 30 Jun 2012, 20:19 (Ref:3100276)   #445
chasing cars
Racer

chasing cars should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Not "Americans."

Every punter all over the world like wrecks, so just saying we do is a bit stupid.
Well I don't, particually when a driver gets injured and involves something like the jump that has no place in motorsport. Surely that's the end of the gap jump for good, even Mr Williams who so favoured it and was all for making it longer must now concede it was a bad idea. Anyway the GRC has got its much wanted publicity now.

Anyway hopefully Toomas will make a quick recovery and soon be back racing and hopefully back in europe on purpose built rallycross tracks where the racing and driver safety are put in front of corporate entertainment facilities and the attempt to make a quick buck from some kind of stunt show buiilt round two "showmen".
Old 30 Jun 2012, 20:24 (Ref:3100277)   #446
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasing cars View Post
Well I don't, particually when a driver gets injured and involves something like the jump that has no place in motorsport. Surely that's the end of the gap jump for good, even Mr Williams who so favoured it and was all for making it longer must now concede it was a bad idea. Anyway the GRC has got its much wanted publicity now.

Anyway hopefully Toomas will make a quick recovery and soon be back racing and hopefully back in europe on purpose built rallycross tracks where the racing and driver safety are put in front of corporate entertainment facilities and the attempt to make a quick buck from some kind of stunt show buiilt round two "showmen".
If you're posting on a message board, then you're not a punter.
Old 30 Jun 2012, 23:40 (Ref:3100318)   #447
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
I will have to visit my cousine's house again, since day coverage of the X Games has been moved to the ESPN3 channel, which I don't have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJM View Post
Come on, it's not the X-games for nothing? If they make a regular rallycross race out of this, it ain't "X-treme" enough.

When Pastrana crashed his motorbike last year, did anyone complain about needing more tyres, making smaller jumps, putting giant nets and what more? This is the same, but with cars.
I totally agree with the first paragraph and totally disagree with the second. Global Rallycross should keep the huge jumps, but should work to find a solution to gap crashes. It can be a tabletop jump, better protector, an escape lane or something else.

Alpine sports and motorsports have progressed in safety. This year, a Winter X Games competitor died, same at the bobsleigh event in the 2010 Winter Olympics. It's time action sports take safety seriously.
Old 1 Jul 2012, 01:45 (Ref:3100334)   #448
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
...aaaaaaaaand now Gronholm has wrecked and needed to be cut from the car.

lost control after landing the ramp and hit the wall...no news yet of his condition.

this wasn't caused by the jump, because he landed it, more on the concrete lined walls.

Last edited by Matt; 1 Jul 2012 at 01:54.
Old 1 Jul 2012, 02:05 (Ref:3100335)   #449
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Just showed an onboard view during the X Games coverage. The ramp had nothing to do with it. He cut the next corner too close (it seems) and speared the blunt end of one of the barrier segments with the left front. Huge deceleration.
Old 1 Jul 2012, 05:21 (Ref:3100344)   #450
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3uTZ...source=message