Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 31 Jan 2011, 18:19 (Ref:2823374)   #426
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
I will find out Tim. My Grand Dad. worked at Bude Cornwall.When we went on holiday to visit I could look out the bedroom window and see the steam trains go bye.Funny Tea story for you. I can allways remember my Dad offering to make him a cup of tea before we left to go to the beech on morning. The kitchen only had an Aga stove. Hours later we finnaly got to the beech with my Dad muttering never to offer to make a cup of tea for him again..Yep happy days.
Old 31 Jan 2011, 18:30 (Ref:2823380)   #427
compte deGraves
Veteran

France
Charente, France
compte deGraves should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcompte deGraves should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Raine View Post
Don't say that. Compte will want a refund
Exactly but thanks for prompting me Alan!
Old 31 Jan 2011, 18:32 (Ref:2823382)   #428
compte deGraves
Veteran

France
Charente, France
compte deGraves should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcompte deGraves should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
well I have a sick compressor in the workshop, and a sick boy on the sofa so today I will be mostly doing books and boring type stuff.

got half a dozen songs to learn bass lines for and then perhaps round off with a few laps in the freshly restored scalextric Cortina . . . and the Galaxy that someone rolled, smashed into the piano and broke the roof!
Joe, it seems to me that Arthur is a lucky young man to have a dad like you. And I have to say that having had but a short meeting with him at the Ace over a year ago he has turned out rather well!
Old 31 Jan 2011, 18:42 (Ref:2823385)   #429
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by compte deGraves View Post
Joe, it seems to me that Arthur is a lucky young man to have a dad like you. And I have to say that having had but a short meeting with him at the Ace over a year ago he has turned out rather well!
Being a dad that worked from home, it was me that did the school run, looked after the little darlings when they were ill and fed them and their friends after school. It did get a bit awkward when deadlines had to be met, but they're now in their 20's and probably more trouble now than they were then
Old 31 Jan 2011, 18:47 (Ref:2823389)   #430
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Being a dad that worked from home, it was me that did the school run, looked after the little darlings when they were ill and fed them and their friends after school. It did get a bit awkward when deadlines had to be met, but they're now in their 20's and probably more trouble now than they were then
At least now they're all grown up they don't cost you any money now do they.
Old 31 Jan 2011, 18:51 (Ref:2823393)   #431
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
At least now they're all grown up they don't cost you any money now do they.
I bloody wish.........

2 kids at Uni and us good parents trying not to leave them in too much debt from Student Loans.
Old 31 Jan 2011, 19:04 (Ref:2823406)   #432
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
I bloody wish.........

2 kids at Uni and us good parents trying not to leave them in too much debt from Student Loans.
At least I've only got one and she is in her fifth and hopefully final year although I've just taxed her car and the insurance runs out next week and no doubt when she moves to the west country in August it'll be "daddy, I need a decent car"
Old 31 Jan 2011, 19:04 (Ref:2823409)   #433
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Neither of mine wanted to go to University. They are both working so they give us housekeeping money. I think Mrs Delta charges them £25.00 a week. For that they get their cars repaired and serviced,all food cooked , beers and wine that the little darlings pinch of me. washing and ironing. Sky TV, free use of computer and lap tops.Then I still have too transport them and their mates around at weekends as they both like a drink. So on and so on.Wasn't like that in my day.
Old 31 Jan 2011, 19:53 (Ref:2823434)   #434
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Neither of mine wanted to go to University. They are both working so they give us housekeeping money. I think Mrs Delta charges them £25.00 a week. For that they get their cars repaired and serviced,all food cooked , beers and wine that the little darlings pinch of me. washing and ironing. Sky TV, free use of computer and lap tops.Then I still have too transport them and their mates around at weekends as they both like a drink. So on and so on.Wasn't like that in my day.

Got any spare rooms Iain?
Old 31 Jan 2011, 20:28 (Ref:2823456)   #435
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
profit, whats that?
It's what comes a nanosecond before corporation tax.
Old 31 Jan 2011, 21:05 (Ref:2823469)   #436
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Yep kids are certainly spoilt today and its our generation that have done it, not something to be proud of i am afraid.
Old 31 Jan 2011, 22:37 (Ref:2823522)   #437
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by compte deGraves View Post
Thank you, he's better spoken and mannered than I.

his mother's Australian, so she had a better education and has a better grasp of the Queens English then most of us lot!

chances are Arthur will be able to spell as well, with my smart arse genes in the mix he'll me a bloody nightmare in a few years!
Old 31 Jan 2011, 22:38 (Ref:2823523)   #438
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin McKay View Post
It's what comes a nanosecond before corporation tax.
I am allowed to earn enough to pay income tax first though
Old 31 Jan 2011, 23:19 (Ref:2823533)   #439
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Form a limited company and pay more dividend than salary - less tax up to a certain level.

There must be some accountants on here somewhere.
Old 1 Feb 2011, 05:58 (Ref:2823627)   #440
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by morninggents View Post
Probably on their way to far-off destnations for 'well earned' holidays this morning, after meeting the tax return deadlines last night!

Old 1 Feb 2011, 08:36 (Ref:2823664)   #441
Cliff Ryan
Veteran

Cliff Ryan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCliff Ryan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Probably on their way to far-off destnations for 'well earned' holidays this morning, after meeting the tax return deadlines last night!

Bye bye
Old 1 Feb 2011, 08:46 (Ref:2823672)   #442
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Ryan View Post
Bye bye
Have fun
Old 1 Feb 2011, 09:20 (Ref:2823691)   #443
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
I've cheated and asked my brother who is a steam gricer. It's an Adams Class 02 tank engine. Iain I assume that picture was taken pre war as it's in London South Western Railway livery.
My brother has just sent me this information regards steam train photo. The picture was taken in 1923 at Bude. Apparently the L&SWR became part of Southern Railway's and this picture was taken by a professional photographer to commemorate the occasion.BTW my Grandad is not the one in the cab. He is on the left at the bottom in front of water tank.
Old 1 Feb 2011, 09:30 (Ref:2823695)   #444
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Ryan View Post
Bye bye
Not at the Villiers Friday then Cliff?
Old 1 Feb 2011, 10:15 (Ref:2823734)   #445
Cliff Ryan
Veteran

Cliff Ryan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCliff Ryan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman View Post
Not at the Villiers Friday then Cliff?
That's probably about as far as I'll get away
Old 1 Feb 2011, 10:38 (Ref:2823744)   #446
Nick JM
Veteran

United Kingdom
South Bucks
Nick JM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by morninggents View Post
Form a limited company and pay more dividend than salary - less tax up to a certain level.

Nope...but there is a lawyer!

Nice try but unless you have some "lifestyle expenses" (I wonder what that could be) you can shove through the company you will be paying CT on the corporate profit and then income tax on the divvy

Now, since this is the Lighter Side, where do I send my invoice?
Old 1 Feb 2011, 11:07 (Ref:2823763)   #447
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman View Post
Yep kids are certainly spoilt today and its our generation that have done it, not something to be proud of i am afraid.
Every generation has said that though, Al, although I do think that certain 'modern' behaviours have gone to extreme and unsocial levels.
Old 1 Feb 2011, 11:25 (Ref:2823772)   #448
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Don't worry I concider myself as guilty as the next man. When i left school at 14 and went to work I got paid £3.50 a week of which I had to hand over £1.50 to mum. Can you imagine today for a start you have to pay some little whippersnapper the minimum wage while you are further educating him so he probably goes home with about £150 in his pocket, how many pay there parents the same percentage in keep that I used to which would be about £60! I bet the answer is none and I also bet none is the majority any of them pays. When ever I have mentioned it its like I am the devil incarnate for asking such a diabiolic thing that they should actually make a contribution. maybe we should even go back a couple of generations before my youth where employers had to be paid by the kids parents to take on and teach an apprentice and why not. If I got paid to take on a kid I would and teach him well but as things are it costs so damned much to employ I dont bother thats why there is unemplyment amoungst the young no other reason.
Old 1 Feb 2011, 12:22 (Ref:2823800)   #449
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick JM View Post
Nope...but there is a lawyer!

Nice try but unless you have some "lifestyle expenses" (I wonder what that could be) you can shove through the company you will be paying CT on the corporate profit and then income tax on the divvy

Now, since this is the Lighter Side, where do I send my invoice?
Ah, but if total income below around £40K then dividends taxed only at the notional 10% tax credit.
Old 1 Feb 2011, 12:54 (Ref:2823817)   #450
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
We have loads of kids here from Motor Racing University's, College's and Schools. Yep they are all useless but if you don't give them a chance then they will never learn.Over the years we have had three that have gone on to work in F1. That's nice..
Closed Thread