Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 28 Sep 2012, 15:36 (Ref:3143263)   #426
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DS" View Post
I doubt that he'll do tin-tops, since he said that he needs to see his front wheels when racing. That wouldn't rule out LMPs, due to the BHHs...
lmao, talk about a one-trick pony
Old 28 Sep 2012, 16:27 (Ref:3143299)   #427
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
The day Schumacher competes in Indycar is the day I'll be crowned King of France.
Old 29 Sep 2012, 19:41 (Ref:3143873)   #428
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DS" View Post
No problem. I'm dreaming myself to see Schumi competing at the "proper" Indianapolis race, but even if Schumacher had interest in American racing, I doubt that he'll debut on high-speed ovals in a relatively high age. Or else he might end up like Nelson Piquet at Indy.
Or like Jean Alesi this year, an embarrassing last on the grid and being black flagged during the race; more embarrassment.
Old 29 Sep 2012, 20:35 (Ref:3143902)   #429
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Or like Jean Alesi this year, an embarrassing last on the grid and being black flagged during the race; more embarrassment.
can blame that on the lotus motor though
Old 29 Sep 2012, 20:43 (Ref:3143906)   #430
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
can blame that on the lotus motor though
It didn't help. Simona de Silvestro qualified second to last with 214.393 and Alesi last with 210.094.
Old 30 Sep 2012, 23:11 (Ref:3144344)   #431
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
The thrill of driving at 210 mph average... nobody can take that away from you.
Old 30 Sep 2012, 23:20 (Ref:3144345)   #432
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
The thrill of driving at 210 mph average... nobody can take that away from you.
On a personal level, great but I member when they nearly did on 240 mph.
Old 1 Oct 2012, 01:19 (Ref:3144376)   #433
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Gruesome:

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2012...n-abc-down-15/

NBCSN ratings down 27%
ABC ratings down 17%

I thought this was supposed to be the breakout year, but it looks more like a breakdown year.
Old 1 Oct 2012, 05:00 (Ref:3144435)   #434
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Wow, brutal. They missed some great racing. The new cars are really growing on me too. Went to my first Indycar race since Champcar 2005. Too bad more fans didn't take the 2012 Indycar season in as well.
Old 1 Oct 2012, 12:50 (Ref:3144609)   #435
petemx5
Rookie

petemx5 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada ALMS fan View Post
Wow, brutal. They missed some great racing. The new cars are really growing on me too. Went to my first Indycar race since Champcar 2005. Too bad more fans didn't take the 2012 Indycar season in as well.
Well, FWIW, I also returned to the track (Baltimore) this year for the first time since Champ Car in 2006 (if you don't count Atlantics at NJMP a few years back). Definitely the new car helped entice me. I still think the sidepods are ugly and wish they would use the road course bodywork instead but, hopefully the manufacturer body kits will be better (in 2014??).

The biggest improvement this year, IMHO, they seemed to get a handle on how to run on the ovals without pack racing. They need to keep the ovals realtively safe and not try to emulate Stock Cars for me to be really get interested. Pocono should be a good place for them to race but I think I'll watch it on TV this year and the decide if i want to attend in 2014.
Old 1 Oct 2012, 13:43 (Ref:3144635)   #436
HJJ
Veteran

United States
Hoschburg, just outside of Brasleburg.
HJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
http://www.twitlonger.com/show/jg6dlp

Quote:
Jenna Fryer (@JennaFryer)
Posted Monday 1st October 2012 from Twitlonger

From the story by @trippmickle: "Former IndyCar Series CEO Tony George has put together an investor group that includes some of the sport’s top team owners — Chip Ganassi, Roger Penske, Michael Andretti and Kevin Kalkhoven — as well as motorsports marketer Zak Brown that recently proposed the board sell them the IndyCar Series. The group has hired the Midwest-based law firm Faegre Baker Daniels and begun a financial due diligence evaluation of the series."
Old 1 Oct 2012, 15:17 (Ref:3144680)   #437
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJJ View Post
We just can't get rid of tony george can we?

tony george's break away and break out series from CART ended up so bad he has to start/buy out another break away series.
Old 1 Oct 2012, 16:07 (Ref:3144705)   #438
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
But if Tony George means to buy IndyCar, who are the current owners (people)?
Old 1 Oct 2012, 17:08 (Ref:3144726)   #439
TheMightyM
Veteran

TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
But if Tony George means to buy IndyCar, who are the current owners (people)?
Hulman & Co., a privately-held company, owns Indycar, the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, and some other non-racing stuff. Hulman & Co. is essentially owned by the Hulman-George family, so Tony George would essentially be buying his relatives out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hulman_%26_Company
Old 2 Oct 2012, 02:14 (Ref:3144966)   #440
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
not so fast...
http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/artic...of-negativity/
Old 2 Oct 2012, 05:16 (Ref:3145005)   #441
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada ALMS fan View Post
The SBJ story said a group of investors headed by Tony George had made a presentation to buy IndyCar and that the Hulman & Company board was weighing the offer.

Oh wait, where does that sound familiar, Nov 1991, I believe it was, when he turned up with his flipcard that showed if they just sell out for pennies, he'll dominate the world of open wheel racing.

By the time we get to March 2014, it will be this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erHQmiqD8BI

This time around though everyone is out of money and no one cares anymore. Anyways.

Miller keeps blowharding on this whole Randy thing and he and others keep creating this smokescreen that sidesteps the issue. It wouldn't matter if you had Jimbo the Clown or Rodeo Randy for CEO, it's the ownership that is the problem and as I have said many times over the years and history has borne me out, is that as long as those people own it, it goes nowhere.
Old 2 Oct 2012, 06:43 (Ref:3145029)   #442
JagtechOhio
Veteran

United States
Powell, Ohio USA
JagtechOhio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJagtechOhio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So Miller is making a veiled accusation that Jenna Fryer is spreading negative (and false) news. Funny, Randy sucked up to Jenna bigtime to get more coverage.

The reality of the ratings is a lot more damaging than the perception of the reality. How any serious sponsorship dollars are going to appear is the only real question, isn't it?...regardless of who owns this deal. The prospective new ownership group might be able to buy the series, but could they fund its continuation? Seems unlikely to me.

Is Chevy getting ANYTHING in terms of public awareness in return for their investment?
Old 2 Oct 2012, 10:37 (Ref:3145118)   #443
mythoughtsareracing
Racer

United States
Houston Area
mythoughtsareracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmythoughtsareracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JagtechOhio View Post
So Miller is making a veiled accusation that Jenna Fryer is spreading negative (and false) news. Funny, Randy sucked up to Jenna bigtime to get more coverage.

The reality of the ratings is a lot more damaging than the perception of the reality. How any serious sponsorship dollars are going to appear is the only real question, isn't it?...regardless of who owns this deal. The prospective new ownership group might be able to buy the series, but could they fund its continuation? Seems unlikely to me.

Is Chevy getting ANYTHING in terms of public awareness in return for their investment?
I just read Miller's article, and he isn't accusing Jenna Fryer of anything.
Jenna quoted this article from the Sports Business Journal by Tripp Mickle (That's gotta be a pen name!) in her tweet.
“The IZOD IndyCar Series is not for sale, and representatives from Hulman & Company and the Indianapolis Motor Speedway Corporation have not received or considered any offers to purchase the series. Further, executive management from both Hulman & Company and IMSC maintain continuous and open dialogue with INDYCAR team owners about numerous issues related to the IZOD IndyCar Series, and no INDYCAR team owner formally or informally approached either organization about purchasing the IZOD IndyCar Series.

“Both Hulman & Company and IMSC remain committed to working with the IZOD IndyCar Series and its partners as they prepare for the 2013 season and beyond. The racing in 2012 showcased great competition on track and added to the foundation for growing the series. The just-announced 2013 schedule includes several new twists that could make the racing even more exciting. The combination of the return of nearly all the 2012 venues, including all the ovals, the addition of new tracks and the revival of the Triple Crown award make this one of the most exciting schedules in recent memory.”
Frankly, I have to agree with Robin Miller.
There are far too many people preaching gloom & doom for IndyCar.
It's been pointed out repeatedly that the racing is the best it has been in long time, we have an American champion in an American series and commitment from sponsors, management and (most) teams going forward.

Yes, TV ratings are down. A lot.
Yes, there are empty seats at tracks. on race day.

But motorsports viewership is down across the board. Blame the economy. Blame politics. Blame video games causing ADD. Blame Canada.
Yes, we are at a low point, but these things are cyclical.

With the great racing at most tracks (I'm looking at YOU, Belle Isle!), there is excitement on raceday where there wasn't any before.
Old 2 Oct 2012, 12:53 (Ref:3145185)   #444
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
Quote:
Originally Posted by ?Robin Miller
whoever is keeping this story alive or feeding it to media like SBJ needs to shut the hell up.
He's complaining about the insider who keeps telling journalists these rumours. He's not talking about journalists.
Old 2 Oct 2012, 18:44 (Ref:3145326)   #445
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by mythoughtsareracing View Post
There are far too many people preaching gloom & doom for IndyCar.
It's been pointed out repeatedly that the racing is the best it has been in long time, we have an American champion in an American series and commitment from sponsors, management and (most) teams going forward.

Yes, TV ratings are down. A lot.
Yes, there are empty seats at tracks. on race day.
You don't have to preach doom and gloom, the proof is in the numbers and the general public has no interest and if anything the interest keeps going down. Races are not really financially viable, which has sent the franchise fee plummeting, which means less income for the series.

They are in a bad way, but it is of their making.

The economy certainly plays a part, but even in bad economies, good products can thrive and survive.
Old 4 Oct 2012, 17:00 (Ref:3146178)   #446
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
^hard to argue any of that. The sad part is this year was the best in a long time so hopefully there will be light at the end of the tunnel that is not a train!
Old 6 Oct 2012, 16:02 (Ref:3147129)   #447
SpikerJack
Racer

Italy
SpikerJack should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.omnicorse.it/magazine/221...ampionato-2013

It's in Italian, it says that Indycar is likely to come to Italy for three years starting from 2013. Indy sign a contract with Adler group to make it possible. The circuit will be Mugello and maybe a street circuit in Napoli in the future. Well I'm Italian and this is a dream for me!!
Old 6 Oct 2012, 17:58 (Ref:3147148)   #448
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
I'd like to see one of the major car series run Mugello, but I'd prefer it be F1 or WEC/ELMS, I think.
Old 6 Oct 2012, 18:02 (Ref:3147151)   #449
SpikerJack
Racer

Italy
SpikerJack should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Voices of an Italian Gp (Mugello or Imola) from 2013 to 2015.. Every italian newspaper is talking about that.. There is a contract signed between Indy and an industrial group named Adler..
http://www.omnicorse.it/magazine/221...ampionato-2013
Old 6 Oct 2012, 19:59 (Ref:3147196)   #450
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
http://www.twitlonger.com/show/jg6dlp

Jenna Fryer (@JennaFryer)
Posted Monday 1st October 2012 from Twitlonger

From the story by @trippmickle: "Former IndyCar Series CEO Tony George has put together an investor group that includes some of the sport’s top team owners — Chip Ganassi, Roger Penske, Michael Andretti and Kevin Kalkhoven — as well as motorsports marketer Zak Brown that recently proposed the board sell them the IndyCar Series. The group has hired the Midwest-based law firm Faegre Baker Daniels and begun a financial due diligence evaluation of the series."
How ironic. Tony George allying himself with the very people he broke away from and two of the most successful former CART owners, who helped scupper CART, when they jumped to the IRL, allying themselves with Tony George. You couldn't make it up.