Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 4 Apr 2014, 17:06 (Ref:3388748)   #426
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Well, I was going to give JR my vote for post of the year with #423 but then he trumped it with #424! Nicely put, Sir. Whatever you are on, keep taking it.

Old 4 Apr 2014, 19:51 (Ref:3388784)   #427
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
At events like this, and the Revival, I always thought that the cars were the stars, and not the drivers, whether pros or not.
Old 4 Apr 2014, 20:07 (Ref:3388790)   #428
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
At events like this, and the Revival, I always thought that the cars were the stars, and not the drivers, whether pros or not.
You and me both, Andy. But Goodwood ploughs a different furrow.
Old 5 Apr 2014, 10:56 (Ref:3388959)   #429
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Well, I was going to give JR my vote for post of the year with #423 but then he trumped it with #424! Nicely put, Sir. Whatever you are on, keep taking it.

Yeah, I'll second that. JR at his best! Hope he's wrong about Tiff though, always enjoyed listening and watching him. And yes, as Simon D points out, since this is a public forum, let's be careful how we deal with issues about individuals. Criticise the driving and the behaviour if you can back it up but no character assassinations, please.

I must admit, to me the cars are the stars and I see no need to put 'stars' in them but that's all done for a public that for the most part have only a passing interest in the motor racing and are more into the 'show' that is Goodwood. Whilst I can see why that should be the case for the Revival, I didn't think it would apply to the members meeting which seemed to be more for the knowledgeable enthusiast.

Last edited by John Turner; 5 Apr 2014 at 11:03.
Old 5 Apr 2014, 11:02 (Ref:3388962)   #430
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
I'll second that. JR, as always, manages to articulate, in his own inimitable style, what the rest of us are thinking.
Old 5 Apr 2014, 13:08 (Ref:3388990)   #431
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
You miserable lot are not going to spoil it for me! I know we all have opinons of these star drivers and some are not favourable. However bearing in mind our car had a few issues, not least; an errant tacho; fuel pressure in high revs; tyres that are probably a second slower than D84s; and, a gearbox that was like stirring porridge! So, it was really good to read this and similar tweets. Graciously suggesting the pit stop dropped us down rather than my appallingly slow driving.
Attached Thumbnails
Capture_1.JPG  
Old 5 Apr 2014, 13:09 (Ref:3388992)   #432
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
And yes, I'm still grinning, what a great car!
Old 5 Apr 2014, 13:58 (Ref:3389004)   #433
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
and, a gearbox that was like stirring porridge!
I just happen to know someone that has a gearbox that'll drop straight into that car
Old 5 Apr 2014, 14:05 (Ref:3389006)   #434
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Up yours red nose.
Old 6 Apr 2014, 06:28 (Ref:3389165)   #435
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Excellent double page pic in Autosport, showing the Alpilatte Alfa two wheeling through chicane with 1275GT tucked in behind! Guess from Sunday race? But who hit the polystyrene wall, causing the Alfa's antics? We need to know- name names!

Old 6 Apr 2014, 06:42 (Ref:3389168)   #436
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
It was Sunday. Dunno who hit it though.
Old 6 Apr 2014, 07:03 (Ref:3389173)   #437
Cliff Ryan
Veteran

Cliff Ryan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCliff Ryan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think it was the black Golf, which launched itself onto two wheels, although I don't know who was driving at the time.
Old 6 Apr 2014, 07:06 (Ref:3389174)   #438
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
And would they have cut the corner that much if the chicane had consisted of the old brick wall not a facsimile?
Old 6 Apr 2014, 07:58 (Ref:3389189)   #439
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
I think Barry Williams was sharing that car. It's the original John Morris car. Recently restored by his son Jim.
Old 6 Apr 2014, 08:07 (Ref:3389191)   #440
AntA35
Rookie

United Kingdom
The Midlands
AntA35 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It wasn't Barrie in Jim Morris's Golf. Judging by the red paint on the near side front of one of the Triplex Dollys I'd say it was a certain winning house captain.
Old 6 Apr 2014, 08:13 (Ref:3389195)   #441
AntA35
Rookie

United Kingdom
The Midlands
Whilst we're on the subject of professional drivers, I had the absolute pleasure to meet Robb Gravett who shared my car. A great guy, who was very sympathetic and despite a damned throttle linkage breaking was very positive and supportive. As a result watch this space... you may be seeing more of him in historic touring car racing!
Old 6 Apr 2014, 08:18 (Ref:3389200)   #442
Cliff Ryan
Veteran

Cliff Ryan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCliff Ryan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Maybe the black Golf launched itself on the debris then?
Old 6 Apr 2014, 08:26 (Ref:3389204)   #443
AntA35
Rookie

United Kingdom
The Midlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Ryan View Post
Maybe the black Golf launched itself on the debris then?
I don't know for sure, but certainly the debris required some caution at the chicane for a couple of laps, but pleased to see that there were no incidents resulting from it.
Old 6 Apr 2014, 08:29 (Ref:3389205)   #444
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Just checked the entry list and Barrie was sharing the Golf. Don't know if that hit the chicane though.
Old 6 Apr 2014, 11:14 (Ref:3389263)   #445
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Well, not a Tenther (smashing the fake wall), which is the main thing!

I was watching at the chicane one Revival when as the pack came through there was an explosion of white bits. As it settled, parked among the destroyed pot plants was a Lotus 19, looking a bit worse for wear. At that time there were some vertical supports to the chicane, possibly of plywood, and one of these has sliced the front bodywork in two until reaching the suspension!

So that's two tenthers with throttle linkage problems! Very basic failure but happens....

Old 6 Apr 2014, 12:49 (Ref:3389288)   #446
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
It would be a huge surprise if Whizzo put someone else's car through the chicane!

Spent some time with John Morris a few years ago along with Listers,Turners and even Jim and we talked about old Saloon car stuff as they were all involved with Johns racing activities.Pity John didn't make a come back as guest driver as he is younger than the one Jim got saddled with.
Old 7 Apr 2014, 08:51 (Ref:3389658)   #447
HRSTR5
Racer

England
Surrey, England
HRSTR5 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post
It would be a huge surprise if Whizzo put someone else's car through the chicane!
He was probably trying to even things up after hitting the right hand chicane wall in the Bond FJ on Saturday ... !
Old 8 Apr 2014, 18:51 (Ref:3390303)   #448
lifeline-fire
Rookie

United Kingdom
Syresham
lifeline-fire should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Barrie was not the guilty party, although some of the debris did launch the car right up on to two wheels, I have a pic from Jeff Bloxham!

John, I tried ever so hard to get dad back in the car for this meeting, even cleared everything with the MSA to get his licence back, but alas he felt he was no longer up to it, hence asking Barrie to drive, as he used to race against it when he drove the little Colt back in the day.
Old 8 Apr 2014, 22:29 (Ref:3390359)   #449
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Jim,you had a choice?
As long as you enjoyed the weekend.
John should have driven and got Terry/Geoff to pay!

Never know could have got the Lister badge all over the telly!

It's happened before.

Now that would be history.
Old 11 Apr 2014, 06:21 (Ref:3390972)   #450
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Goodwood twitter feed

"Tune into channel 4 at 06.40 on Sunday morning for all of the highlights from #72MM one not to miss!"