Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 31 Oct 2018, 09:32 (Ref:3860078)   #451
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Ergo it becomes a wing, not a floor.

Indeed but the Williams FW07 was more in my mind although again the pods don't extend to the extremity of the wheels.
It isn't a wing as it's flat and doesn't produce any lift, or in the case of a race car, downforce. It's the vanes or slots, on the outer rear edge of the floor, that produce the aerodynamic effect, which prevents the air from going underneath the car, not the floor itself.

I'm not too sure what you mean by the pods don't extend to the extremity of the wheels? With the FW07, the sidepods extend from just in front of the rear tyre and to just behind the front tyre, as in this photo. Do you mean they don't extend beyond the outer rim of the wheels?

Because the floor of current F1 cars, like this year's Mercedes, doesn't extend beyond the outer rim of the wheels either.

Old 31 Oct 2018, 09:41 (Ref:3860079)   #452
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yes, I know I already admitted to memory fade. Nonetheless you can't have a floor if there's nothing for that floor to support. It must therefore be a wing or what is it?
Old 31 Oct 2018, 09:49 (Ref:3860080)   #453
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Yes, I know I already admitted to memory fade. Nonetheless you can't have a floor if there's nothing for that floor to support. It must therefore be a wing or what is it?
Why does the floor have to support anything, in order for it to be a floor? Floors are usually open areas.
Old 31 Oct 2018, 09:50 (Ref:3860081)   #454
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
It's an overhanging section of the floor. (I know the point you're making Peter & do agree with you but think it's another example of clever interpretation of the wording of the rules...)
Old 31 Oct 2018, 10:00 (Ref:3860082)   #455
crmalcolm
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Having previously cited the Oxford English Dictionary, then it is interesting that no current definition given by the OED is relevant to a vehicle.

So perhaps the Merriam-Webster definition of 'Lower Limit', or maybe the Cambridge definition of 'The bottom surface'.

Each of these works for how a 'floor' is currently used on a Formula One car. The floor is the lowest surface of the vehicle's body, which has an aerodynamic effect akin to a wing.

You are right - it is not a wing. But it also does not have to provide any support to be a floor. It is an aerodynamic part of the car along with front wing, barge board area, side pod area, diffuser, rear wing, brake ducts, nose cone area, engine cover.......
Old 31 Oct 2018, 10:07 (Ref:3860083)   #456
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Having previously cited the Oxford English Dictionary, then it is interesting that no current definition given by the OED is relevant to a vehicle.

So perhaps the Merriam-Webster definition of 'Lower Limit', or maybe the Cambridge definition of 'The bottom surface'.

Each of these works for how a 'floor' is currently used on a Formula One car. The floor is the lowest surface of the vehicle's body, which has an aerodynamic effect akin to a wing.

You are right - it is not a wing. But it also does not have to provide any support to be a floor. It is an aerodynamic part of the car along with front wing, barge board area, side pod area, diffuser, rear wing, brake ducts, nose cone area, engine cover.......
Lol, ok but if its the bottom surface that implies there's a top surface so it could just be a horizontal flat plane of a certain thickness. Yes it is an aerodynamic surface as per the above and is legal. It's still a shyte idea which is impacting the racing capability of the vehicles.
Old 31 Oct 2018, 10:10 (Ref:3860084)   #457
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
It's an overhanging section of the floor. (I know the point you're making Peter & do agree with you but think it's another example of clever interpretation of the wording of the rules...)
The overhanging section isn't new, you can see it on the 2012 McLaren. The difference is, F1 designers have since then found a way of exploiting that part of the car's floor.

Old 31 Oct 2018, 10:10 (Ref:3860085)   #458
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

And now, don't forget the latest addition; Mercedes' wheel spacers!
Old 31 Oct 2018, 10:40 (Ref:3860086)   #459
crmalcolm
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Lol, ok but if its the bottom surface that implies there's a top surface so it could just be a horizontal flat plane of a certain thickness.
The top surface is the intake cover.
Old 31 Oct 2018, 10:50 (Ref:3860087)   #460
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
No it isn't. It extends beyond that. If the floor on your house extends beyond the boundary walls it's a balcony or a terrace or a patio. It is most certainly not the floor.
Old 31 Oct 2018, 10:58 (Ref:3860088)   #461
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Now we're getting somewhere that isn't simply one-line rebuttals of previous points, this thread's rather enjoyable once again

However it does rather crystallise the issue: the rules are so proscriptive that the engineers interpreting them are now finding hundreds of minuscule ways to claw back downforce and reduce drag. This means infinitesimal improvements over cars that are pretty well at the limit of their performance under the current rules.

What would be nice, in my view, is some freedom to achieve the giant leaps that we used to see, however that in turn means dominance of a different sort so it gets us more or less nowhere (albeit very quickly) as "the fans" don't like dominance.

For a comparison, the recent Indy tyre test at COTA ran some 13 or 14 seconds slower than Kimi's lap record from a couple of weeks ago. IndyCar is always used as a comparison because they can apparently "race" (this year's oval aero kit notwithstanding) and they slide/move around a lot.

F1 cars are all but perfect in comparison. Fast, stable, incredible brakes, and able to corner at ludicrous speeds, even the slow ones.

I don't have a solution, but I do think F1 is missing a publicity trick with the combination of driver+technology having approached 'perfection'.
Old 31 Oct 2018, 11:07 (Ref:3860091)   #462
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
IndyCar is always used as a comparison because they can apparently "race" (this year's oval aero kit notwithstanding) and they slide/move around a lot.
Indeed, Indycars are very, very low downforce compared to F1. They can race, but they will also be really slow compared to F1 (slower than F2 too and doing laptimes comparable to GP3 or F3).

Thankfully Indycar race on compact national circuits like Mid-Ohio (and street circuits) thereby they don't seem that slow, so it's not too bad for fans. Obviously, Indycars are extremely fast at super speedways, averaging 340+ km/hr.

It's a tricky problem to solve. Which solution is best?
Old 31 Oct 2018, 12:15 (Ref:3860102)   #463
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post
Indeed, Indycars are very, very low downforce compared to F1. They can race, but they will also be really slow compared to F1 (slower than F2 too and doing laptimes comparable to GP3 or F3).

Thankfully Indycar race on compact national circuits like Mid-Ohio (and street circuits) thereby they don't seem that slow, so it's not too bad for fans. Obviously, Indycars are extremely fast at super speedways, averaging 340+ km/hr.

It's a tricky problem to solve. Which solution is best?
Are IndyCars slower than F2 cars and doing lap times comparable to GP3 or F3?
Old 31 Oct 2018, 12:52 (Ref:3860111)   #464
crmalcolm
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
No it isn't. It extends beyond that. If the floor on your house extends beyond the boundary walls it's a balcony or a terrace or a patio. It is most certainly not the floor.
I think you are getting confused between the floor (storey) of a building and the building's floor.

The 12th floor of a tower block refers to that level, not a physical part of the building itself.
The context of a F1 car floor would be like the floor of a tower block being the lowest part of the structure.

In your example of a balcony - the floor of a balcony does not have to support the balcony itself, and the balcony floor can extend beyond anything else that is part of the balcony.

In the image below - the extent of the balcony is defined by the edge of the 'floor'. The useable part of the balcony is limited by the barrier.

In the example of an F1 car, the extent of the body is defined by the edge of the floor. The rest of the body merely sits in a narrower plane.
Old 31 Oct 2018, 14:29 (Ref:3860139)   #465
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
would a veranda or lanai be a better analogy?

i wonder if they have this much fun at TWG meetings!
Old 31 Oct 2018, 14:55 (Ref:3860141)   #466
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
would a veranda or lanai be a better analogy?

i wonder if they have this much fun at TWG meetings!
TWG?
Old 31 Oct 2018, 14:59 (Ref:3860143)   #467
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
For a comparison, the recent Indy tyre test at COTA ran some 13 or 14 seconds slower than Kimi's lap record from a couple of weeks ago. IndyCar is always used as a comparison because they can apparently "race" (this year's oval aero kit notwithstanding) and they slide/move around a lot.

F1 cars are all but perfect in comparison. Fast, stable, incredible brakes, and able to corner at ludicrous speeds, even the slow ones.

I don't have a solution, but I do think F1 is missing a publicity trick with the combination of driver+technology having approached 'perfection'.
Here is a good in-car video from the COTA IndyCar test.

https://twitter.com/COTA/status/1057298164267520001

So they are slower than F1, but I am OK with that. It should be interesting to watch what the racing looks like at COTA (IndyCar does plan to race there right?)

I think one thing that should be obvious is that to a degree, much of the changes people talk about here (particularly making the cars harder to drive, reduction in downforce, etc.) will make them slower than the current cars. Maybe some of that can be offset with greater straight line speed, but something has to give somewhere (such as cornering speed). I am very much OK with a reduction in overall speed (longer lap time) as the trade off for more competitive races and potentially a healthier series.

Richard
Old 31 Oct 2018, 15:40 (Ref:3860153)   #468
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
TWG?
technical working group (TWG).
Old 31 Oct 2018, 15:52 (Ref:3860154)   #469
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
technical working group (TWG).
Old 31 Oct 2018, 16:21 (Ref:3860156)   #470
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Physics and the Oxford English Dictionary.
My physics isn't the best, but there was nothing in there that said a floor cannot also be a wing. Or more generally, an object cannot serve two purposes.

There are many multi-purpose tools available. I'm not sure why physics discriminates against the floor of F1 cars in this.

Ironically, this is the sort of nonsense argument F1 teams make all the time. The blown diffusers had a 2 hour debate during one of the team meetings on what a "hole" was. Now we're having the exact same discussion here.

"There's too many regulations! The cars are getting silly! Regulate the silliness with...regulations!"
Old 31 Oct 2018, 16:29 (Ref:3860159)   #471
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Maybe the object that is the centre of this discussion should be re-named a non-retractable flap?
Old 31 Oct 2018, 16:31 (Ref:3860160)   #472
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
My physics isn't the best, but there was nothing in there that said a floor cannot also be a wing. Or more generally, an object cannot serve two purposes.

There are many multi-purpose tools available. I'm not sure why physics discriminates against the floor of F1 cars in this.

Ironically, this is the sort of nonsense argument F1 teams make all the time. The blown diffusers had a 2 hour debate during one of the team meetings on what a "hole" was. Now we're having the exact same discussion here.

"There's too many regulations! The cars are getting silly! Regulate the silliness with...regulations!"
The floor of a car can act like wing but it needs be shaped like one, or it won't work.
Old 31 Oct 2018, 16:31 (Ref:3860161)   #473
crmalcolm
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
My first thought in relation to aerodynamics was the flaperon. Serves two purposes, from one plane.
Old 31 Oct 2018, 16:39 (Ref:3860164)   #474
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
The floor of a car can act like wing but it needs be shaped like one, or it won't work.
There are lots of aero parts that aren't shaped like a wing but certainly assist in producing downforce. To be honest, the current floors aren't shaped like a wing anyway - they just have all sorts of cuts and bumps and lumps to shape the air. Ain't no traditional wing profiles there. Seems like the current floors meet that criteria?

So define "shaped like a wing". Because we all know that isn't that simple. When it comes to shapes that are inboard on a vehicle, the air it receives is already shaped by the devices in front of it. So you could have a shape there designed to produce downforce that isn't traditionally wing shaped because of the state of the air it's receiving.

These sort of discussions are why F1 is in this tangled rats nest of technical regulations.

Of all the issues though, I'm not sure what this one would solve. Floors have been used as aero devices since the 70s. This is just the latest generation of them. Did we have a discussion before about "it can't be a floor AND an aero tunnel"?
Old 31 Oct 2018, 16:41 (Ref:3860165)   #475
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Quote:
My first thought in relation to aerodynamics was the flaperon. Serves two purposes, from one plane.
If you want to be really basic, my flask stops my soup for spilling on the floor. It also keeps it warm. My hat looks good and keeps my head warm. Just need a quick look around a room to spot that almost everything serves multiple purposes. I don't understand that point of view.