Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Closed Thread

Old 24 May 2014, 05:22 (Ref:3409662)   #451
CyberMotor
Veteran

United States
CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
Well... not sure what to make of that picture.
It looks like it has very low and streamlined fenders with slits for lights. That would definitely look different than the blunt nose trend of today with large arrays of lights.
Old 24 May 2014, 06:19 (Ref:3409671)   #452
miatanut
Veteran

United States
Seattle
miatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmiatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmiatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
So they keep it covered during the event, and then "leak" a blurry cell phone picture of it being uncovered to pack it up, giving people fodder for speculation for weeks.

Pretty clever!
Old 24 May 2014, 06:40 (Ref:3409676)   #453
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
^
Quote:
So I was watching one of the Nissan videos on Youtube and I found a little sneak peek of GT-R LM.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...6400915&type=1
Old 24 May 2014, 06:55 (Ref:3409679)   #454
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
As you all know I was there yesterday, it was a fantastic event. But there are lots of questions that we don't have answers to yet these include who is going to drive it, who is going to run the car, who's building it and more importantly how is going to be powered.

However from what I was told by a couple of people in the know they are learning a lot from this years garage 56 program.
Old 24 May 2014, 07:02 (Ref:3409680)   #455
lms
Veteran

lms should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Articus View Post
My fear is they pushed the GTR agenda a little too much...and it could show...and be ugly.
yes, no gt-r styling please! unless its form the gt500
Old 24 May 2014, 07:25 (Ref:3409684)   #456
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/114091

Quote:
Asked if Nissan had the same level of resources as its future rivals, Palmer said: "We are certainly not spending at the level that I understand the Germans to be spending.
Quote:
Nissan's factory P1 entry, which was a condition of its entry with the ZEOD RC experimental racer at this year's Le Mans 24 Hours, was signed off in March, Palmer revealed
Quote:
The engine has been running on the dyno for three months ...
Old 24 May 2014, 07:52 (Ref:3409690)   #457
tyronnezx
Racer

Sri Lanka
New Zealand
tyronnezx has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by deggis View Post

""We are facing a big challenge form highly-respected rivals on a global stage, but for the record messrs Audi, Porsche and Toyota, we are coming to spoil your party, rain on your parade."

cant wait to see them fail and 2016 and get beaten by Toyota
Old 24 May 2014, 08:01 (Ref:3409696)   #458
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by miatanut View Post
So they keep it covered during the event, and then "leak" a blurry cell phone picture of it being uncovered to pack it up, giving people fodder for speculation for weeks.

Pretty clever!
I actually can't believe people are speculating about what's under the cover.

Literally nothing of any worth or relation to the programme. They don't even have a chassis built yet. I'm sure along with the cushion there were a few ladders and maybe even a picnic table under there.

It's just a symbolic image/gesture.
Old 24 May 2014, 08:23 (Ref:3409710)   #459
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Right. Thats why I said "dont know what to make of it". Just a mock up imo. The nose cone is much too high. Imo it was propped up like that so the NISSAN lettering popped out on the front of the black cover.
Old 24 May 2014, 08:40 (Ref:3409720)   #460
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Great news.
Old 24 May 2014, 12:00 (Ref:3409774)   #461
juicy sushi
Racer

juicy sushi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandicoot17 View Post
So there is a car under there after all. Interesting. I figured it was a bunch of cardboard or wires or something.
Old 24 May 2014, 12:20 (Ref:3409778)   #462
juicy sushi
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starfish Primer View Post
I agree, the ruleset shouldn´t be modified unless all the existing manufacturers are happy with the changes.

IMHO there isn´t space in Le Mans for a 5th manufacturer, one manufacturer would be fighting for 6ths or 8ths places and would drop soon.
They might quit quickly, but that doesn't mean there isn't space. If factories want to go for glory, we should encourage and appreciate it, since it doesn't happen very often.

That being said, with all the sniping over F1's rules, LdM's general discontent and Bernie/CVC handcuffing the series, I would not be surprised to see Ferrari here soon, if not actually lobbying to have F1 use LMP1 rules (in order to have it both ways).
Old 24 May 2014, 12:28 (Ref:3409781)   #463
juicy sushi
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada ALMS fan View Post
According to Graham Goodwin on Twitter, other manufacturers (plural) looking at LMP1 as well as rumours of a big budget privateer.
Ferrari and Honda seem most plausible to me. Big privateer could be a Red Bull-run version of Nissan's car (Red Bull is the factory Renault-Nissan F1 team).
Old 24 May 2014, 13:09 (Ref:3409796)   #464
carbon_titanium
Veteran

carbon_titanium should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcarbon_titanium should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ferrari obtained a boost for the f1 budget, is unrealistic to think that is interested in WEC (also because fiat group hasn't a great know how in hybrid technology). Honda "denuted" the wirth coupè lmp1 in an lmp2, clearly they have no intention to step in with the work team. Redbull racing is the most important renault engine customer, but clearly is not the factory team.
Old 24 May 2014, 13:49 (Ref:3409817)   #465
deggis
Veteran

Finland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starfish Primer View Post
IMHO there isn´t space in Le Mans for a 5th manufacturer, one manufacturer would be fighting for 6ths or 8ths places and would drop soon.
Maybe they just should be better then? Maybe that sounds odd now, after having years of racing where finishing on a podium was pretty much guaranteed for a manufacturer without DNFing and when 3rd place was actually same as finishing second last [from the manufacturer championship cars].

I think already now it is a good test how much of a professional sport WEC is in the end, since above is no longer the case, and with 8 cars, one has to be better than majority of them to even finish on a podium. Unheard situation since GrC years and FIA GT 97-99.

Rising costs with increasing competition might be a bigger concern, because for sure it will be heading into F1-like direction where the teams are looking into smaller and smaller things and margins.
Old 24 May 2014, 14:00 (Ref:3409821)   #466
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyronnezx View Post

cant wait to see them fail and 2016 and get beaten by Toyota
Why?
Old 24 May 2014, 14:18 (Ref:3409835)   #467
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Maybe that sounds odd now, after having years of racing where finishing on a podium was pretty much guaranteed for a manufacturer without DNFing and when 3rd place was actually same as finishing second last [from the manufacturer championship cars].

I think already now it is a good test how much of a professional sport WEC is in the end, since above is no longer the case, and with 8 cars, one has to be better than majority of them to even finish on a podium. Unheard situation since GrC years and FIA GT 97-99.
FIA GT 97-98 would be more appropriate

Anyway people always seem to forget that there were 9 works cars at Le Mans just five years ago (plus few customers running same cars). Just because the Astons had petrol and were underbudgeted and underperforming don't cancel the fact that they were works cars

Anyway I get your message and your points are valid
Old 24 May 2014, 16:36 (Ref:3409882)   #468
MagVanisher
Veteran

MagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A good announcement from Nissan, but it still bugs me... If they're branding their LMP1 car for next year as a GT-R, would it be appropriate if it's either make an extreme silhouette car, or just rename it to something else like R392, etc.?

Then again, I'm worried that they're not fully committed to this program at all other than the GT-R branding.
Old 24 May 2014, 17:27 (Ref:3409900)   #469
tyronnezx
Racer

Sri Lanka
New Zealand
tyronnezx has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Why?

Andy Palmer getting so cocky don't sit well with me. especially when their "LMP1" car is a mock-up. Dead giveaway of it being an open cockpit. i would not be surprised if thats an LMP2 car
Old 24 May 2014, 17:31 (Ref:3409902)   #470
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
especially when their "LMP1" car is a mock-up. Dead giveaway of it being an open cockpit. i would not be surprised if thats an LMP2 car
Wow.

Why would Nissan have a finished LMP1 car sitting there 11 months before it needs to debut?

Genuinely mystified by some people's expectations.
Old 24 May 2014, 17:37 (Ref:3409904)   #471
Bandicoot17
Veteran

United Kingdom
Birmingham
Bandicoot17 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagVanisher View Post
A good announcement from Nissan, but it still bugs me... If they're branding their LMP1 car for next year as a GT-R, would it be appropriate if it's either make an extreme silhouette car, or just rename it to something else like R392, etc.?

Then again, I'm worried that they're not fully committed to this program at all other than the GT-R branding.
Of course they're fully committed...

I guess hell will freeze over before the naysayers are finally silent though...
Old 24 May 2014, 17:38 (Ref:3409905)   #472
deggis
Veteran

Finland
Quote:
Andy Palmer getting so cocky don't sit well with me. especially when their "LMP1" car is a mock-up. Dead giveaway of it being an open cockpit. i would not be surprised if thats an LMP2 car
When Toyota announced their program in October (2011), they had nothing physical to show either. With the press release they supplied this very artistic drawing. That's less realistic than the one in this picture.

ps. Mark this historic day: I defended something Nissan did.

Last edited by deggis; 24 May 2014 at 17:49.
Old 24 May 2014, 17:57 (Ref:3409914)   #473
MagVanisher
Veteran

MagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Regardless with the mock-up, I'm hoping that the design would be fitting for a GT-R badge. Better yet, why not graph a GT-R front fascia if the badge wasn't enough to get the public notice?
Old 24 May 2014, 18:15 (Ref:3409928)   #474
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
With the press release they supplied this very artistic drawing.
If only we could have ever ended up having something as beatiful as that on the grid. Or even fraction of it...
Old 24 May 2014, 18:37 (Ref:3409940)   #475
miatanut
Veteran

United States
Seattle
miatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmiatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmiatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
Why would Nissan have a finished LMP1 car sitting there 11 months before it needs to debut?
Because if they don't, it means they're not really serious.
Closed Thread