Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 8 Aug 2003, 08:17 (Ref:682601)   #451
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For once I agree with Jay, the basic problerm is, motorsport has to get started with the idea of finding alternative sources of founding.
Then we can discuss about many other things, but tobacco ban is a spreading reality in most western countries, and until they keep dependant on cigarettes, the problem will continuously occur.
Old 8 Aug 2003, 14:05 (Ref:682902)   #452
¡As-de-mim!
Veteran

¡As-de-mim! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Another source is reporting that Bernie is denying the reported drop of the CDN GP, and the beat goes on.
Old 8 Aug 2003, 14:18 (Ref:682910)   #453
¡As-de-mim!
Veteran

Confusion over Canadian GP

The organiser of the Canadian Grand Prix has said the race has been dropped from next year's calendar - only for Formula One boss Bernie Ecclestone to deny it.
Race promoter Normand Legault told a news conference on Thursday that he had received a letter from Ecclestone saying that Montreal would not be hosting a race in 2004 because of national anti-tobacco laws.

But on Friday Ecclestone denied that he has axed the race.

"I've no idea where this story came from - the calendar for 2004 has not been put out yet or even considered," Ecclestone told the PA news agency.

"I don't know what's in my head at the moment I'm so busy, but the calendar for 2004 is not out yet."

His claim that he has not thought about next year's calendar flies in the face of claims by the US Grand Prix organiser that its date has been moved from September to 20 June in 2004.

The Canadian anti-tobacco advertising legislation was announced in 1997 and the Grand Prix was given a seven-year grace period before tough new laws curbing tobacco advertising at sporting events are introduced on 1 October.

Legault added: "Based on this situation, Mr Ecclestone has the legal right to call an end to the contract.

"It's nothing personal. It's a contractual matter. It's an issue he had the right to raise and which he did raise and we're faced with his decision on how he deals with it.

"But we feel, and when I say we, I mean by extension Formula One, have already benefited from a seven-year grace period for promoting tobacco products."

Legault added that he the Canadian legislation was "a very reasonable position... and I don't feel justified for us to ask the government to do more than that.

"It's not necessarily for the tobacco laws to be changed to accommodate the teams. It might be for the teams to decide to comply with various local legislation in the various countries they visit."

He did admit, however, that the absence of the race would have "an important economic impact" and reduce tourism in Montreal.

If Ecclestone has indeed decided to drop Canada, the plan will be met with dismay by many F1 insiders.

The Montreal race, held on a track named for the late Ferrari ace Gilles Villeneuve, has been one of the most popular events since it made its debut in 1978.

Spa 'back on F1 calendar'

Last week, a Belgian politician said the country's race at Spa-Francorchamps would be reinstated in 2004 after a year out following a decision to delay a law banning tobacco advertising.

The decision demonstrates F1's dependence on tobacco advertising - with Ferrari, McLaren, Renault, Jordan and BAR all having cigarette companies as their major backer.

And it underlines the seriousness of the recent decision to go back on plans to ditch cigarette advertising.

For years, F1 boss Max Mosley had insisted the sport would voluntarily introduce its own ban on tobacco advertising in 2006, in line with the plans of the World Health Organisation.

But in June Mosley said the ban would be replaced by a "recommendation" that such sponsorship should end.

F1 makes tobacco U-turn

But with the notable exception of BMW Williams, who have a policy not to have cigarette advertising, F1 teams have been reluctant to wean themselves of tobacco advertising.

Those who stick with it claim that it is one of the few sources from which they can access the amount of money they need to race, although Williams' success in finding sponsorship elsewhere undermines that argument.
Old 9 Aug 2003, 19:18 (Ref:683814)   #454
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Cleveland in jeopardy?

http://www.cleveland.com/autoracing/...2026178860.xml

"We're going to re-evaluate [IMG] then come back with a decision [to renew or not] in October," said Adam Saal.
Old 10 Aug 2003, 00:28 (Ref:683933)   #455
Omega99
Veteran

Canada
9Henday
Omega99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I guess if it's losing money, that's a problem. Hopefully a correctable one, and as long as the city doesn't mind shutting down their airport for a few days...

Last edited by Omega99; 10 Aug 2003 at 00:28.
Old 10 Aug 2003, 04:43 (Ref:684002)   #456
¡As-de-mim!
Veteran

Quote:
We're going to re-evaluate [IMG] then come back with a decision [to renew or not] in October," said Adam Saal, CART's vice president of communications. "The race is on; we have our contract with the city. This is essentially a summer hiatus. We are going forward. We look forward to many more successful races in Cleveland, as our current agreement with the city extends through 2007."
the race is still on schedule, whether or not IMG is the promoter is under review.
Old 10 Aug 2003, 05:22 (Ref:684018)   #457
evo
Veteran

Canada
Medicine Hat
evo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If CART lost Cleveland, they might as well pack up and cease to exist. Cleveland fits exactly with what they are trying to do (temp circuits in large urban centers) and it's also a great race to watch. Running it under the lights just increased it's popularity. I think it's probably up with Long Beach in thier marquee event list.
Old 10 Aug 2003, 14:53 (Ref:684259)   #458
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Problem is, it's a proven money-loser. And CART can no longer afford to promote the event itself. So, unless somebody else steps up to either promote the event or be a significant title sponsor...
Old 11 Aug 2003, 22:47 (Ref:685660)   #459
¡As-de-mim!
Veteran

Haas Denies Move to the IRL a Done Deal

Newman/Haas Racing co-owner Carl Haas denied - albeit equivocably - that the team plans to compete in the rival Indy Racing League Series in 2004.

Haas, whose team won the ‘02 Champ Car World Series with Toyota power and driver Cristiano da Matta, considered a move to the IRL this year as part of his deal to release da Matta from the final year of his contract in order to join Olivier Panis on the Toyota F1 team. However, pressure from co-owner and CART-loyalist Paul Newman, coupled with the preferences of sponsors Eli Lilly and PacifiCare, resulted in Newman/Haas remaining in the ‘03 Champ Car World Series. Yet with the future of the Champ Car series very much in doubt, Haas is again mulling-over an IRL program for ‘04 and is believed to have placed orders for Dallara chassis . . . again with full support from Toyota.

However, Haas says he has made no decisions on a Toyota-backed IRL campaign.

“It’s an option, but I’ve done nothing in that regard,” he says. “I had the option to do it this year but chose to race in CART instead.”

Should CART and the Champ Car World Series implode in the coming weeks, Haas will have little choice but to move to the IRL in ‘04. However, if there is a CART series, Haas says he plans to be there - and there only.

“If CART goes forward, we’ll race there,” he said. “We’ll do one of the other, CART or the IRL.”
Old 13 Aug 2003, 15:42 (Ref:687240)   #460
¡As-de-mim!
Veteran

Marc Breuers made his debut in the Toyota Atlantic Championship on Sunday, finishing 12th in the 17-car field at the Grand Prix of Mid-Ohio.

Breuers reached an agreement to race for American open-wheel icon Bobby Rahal back in March, but had been idle while trying to find sponsors to fund his run in CART's developmental program.

Thanks largely to local financial support, Breuers recently inked a three-race deal with team owner John Brooks. Breuers is scheduled to pilot the Brooks Racing entry in the final two events of the season, in Denver and Miami.

"Everything kind of came together last-minute, and the race wound up being pretty much a practice session for us," Breuers said. "It was great to be back in a race car, and the weekend turned out to be a great, great learning experience."

Breuers said it took some time to "knock the rust off" and to acclimate himself to the Toyota/Swift vehicle, which features considerably more horsepower and down force than the car he drove last season in the Barber Dodge Pro Series.

"I came away with mixed emotions," he said. "Finishing so far back was disappointing, but at the same time we overcame some mechanical problems [a gearbox failure in practice] and I felt I worked very well with the team's engineers."

Breuers said that he and Brooks are looking at lining up financing to step up to the CART Champ Car World Series next season
Old 13 Aug 2003, 19:17 (Ref:687411)   #461
evo
Veteran

Canada
Medicine Hat
evo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You just have to love guys who jump in over thier heads way too soon...
Old 13 Aug 2003, 23:03 (Ref:687687)   #462
Tailwind
Veteran

United States
Mulvane, KS
Tailwind should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A jump to Champ Cars next year seems a little too soon to me. He won't even get used to the Atlantic car yet. He needs to run at least one more year in Atlantics.
Old 13 Aug 2003, 23:21 (Ref:687703)   #463
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
he certainly needs more than three Atlantic races to be ready for Champcars... a jump to the series as unprepared as he currently is, could ruin his career.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 14 Aug 2003, 12:44 (Ref:688094)   #464
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Re: Haas Denies Move to the IRL a Done Deal

Quote:
Originally posted by ¡As-de-mim!
...Haas is again mulling-over an IRL program for ‘04 and is believed to have placed orders for Dallara chassis . . .
Does anyone else find this bit a tad strange?

Has Lola entirely packed up their attempt at an IRL chassis?

Really, if Carl can't run in CART for doom&gloom reasons, I'd much prefer he get ahold of that rumoured 2004-spec Lola GTP and do the ALMS.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 15 Aug 2003, 05:49 (Ref:688734)   #465
¡As-de-mim!
Veteran

Posted: Fri, 15 Aug 2003 15:18 AEST
Gold Coast Indy set to go ahead

Organisers say it is still business as usual for this year's Gold Coast Indy 300, despite continuing speculation about the future of the sport's governing body.

CART has reported a loss of $34.5 million US for the quarter which ended on June 30.

Gold Coast Indy general manager James Ashworth says CART has not deviated from the process of finding new ownership.

And he says plans for this year's Surfers Paradise race are proceeding as normal.

"At this stage nothing has changed from what we have been saying before, it is very much business as usual for us for 2003 and we expect to hear something from CART probably before the end of August or very early September," he said.
Old 15 Aug 2003, 20:29 (Ref:689341)   #466
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The Indy Star quoted a figure of a little more than $43 million this morning for the first half of their season....

If next year hapens, the article said that it will be 14-16 teams and about the same number of events....

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 16 Aug 2003, 09:10 (Ref:689636)   #467
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
Yeah right.

14-16 teams? Nope. At least 22.
19 events? Unfortunately, I think less. 17 perhaps?

Did the IndyStar offer any premonitions about attendance?
Old 16 Aug 2003, 16:17 (Ref:689821)   #468
¡As-de-mim!
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by macdaddy
Yeah right.Did the IndyStar offer any premonitions about attendance?
Yeah, instead of the capacity crowds irl is enjoying this year, they will be overflowing crowds next year.

Here is the article. You might want to shower after reading this drivel.

http://www.indystar.com/print/articl...-4630-037.html

Last edited by ¡As-de-mim!; 16 Aug 2003 at 16:21.
Old 16 Aug 2003, 16:30 (Ref:689824)   #469
¡As-de-mim!
Veteran

BTW- 14-16 teams would be an increase of 1 to 3 teams. Alright, things are looking better all the time.
Old 17 Aug 2003, 02:31 (Ref:690073)   #470
The Snout
Veteran

Australia
The Snout should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by ¡As-de-mim!
Posted: Fri, 15 Aug 2003 15:18 AEST
Gold Coast Indy set to go ahead

Organisers say it is still business as usual for this year's Gold Coast Indy 300, despite continuing speculation about the future of the sport's governing body.

CART has reported a loss of $34.5 million US for the quarter which ended on June 30.

Gold Coast Indy general manager James Ashworth says CART has not deviated from the process of finding new ownership.

And he says plans for this year's Surfers Paradise race are proceeding as normal.

"At this stage nothing has changed from what we have been saying before, it is very much business as usual for us for 2003 and we expect to hear something from CART probably before the end of August or very early September," he said.

Don't worry about us Aussies baby, we won't back out, we ain't going nowhere.
Old 17 Aug 2003, 02:54 (Ref:690079)   #471
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
When there are threats against the other races I worry. In order to survive (private or public) CART needs more races that pull in money. Why not have another Ausi race? The travel over to there is expensive. Amortize the expense for TWO races and make big money at both. Run the races a bit early so that they can be watched by North & South Americans and CART doesn't just drop off the radar for that period of time.
Old 17 Aug 2003, 17:42 (Ref:690445)   #472
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
There doesn't seem to be much else to talk about right now, so allow me to copy something new on ChampWeb...

"A current rumor buzzing through the air, has CART ADDING up to 3 new events for 2004. The events simply cover the United States in terms of logistics, consisting of an EAST Coast event, MidWest event and a West Coast event. All are expected to be street races.

Now the question is...will CART drop any races? Rumor's have been swirling that Fontana, Germany, and England would be dropped, as well as Mid-Ohio and Laguna Seca. It is extremely possible that CART could see a "drop 5 add 3" to 2004, especially as they move forward in their business plan to bring the events to the people."

I know it's just another story floating around, but where would you speculate the three events might be? For the midwest I'd suggest Chicago, but as for east/west I've no idea.
Old 18 Aug 2003, 00:42 (Ref:690682)   #473
Omega99
Veteran

Canada
9Henday
Omega99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would only hope that they don't drop Laguna and Mid-Ohio, two of the best road courses in North America. Chicago, with that rumor that's already flying around, is a good bet, and maybe that San Fransisco thing we heard about way back when is the western race. A race in the northeast, like the New York or Boston area would be good. At any rate, I don't think that even if they are looking into the possibility of adding three races that we will actually see three new races. Who knows, maybe a race in Calgary???? (nope)
Old 19 Aug 2003, 17:17 (Ref:692418)   #474
¡As-de-mim!
Veteran

Dario out at agr, back to C^RT. Hornish in at agr, back to crapwagon.
Old 19 Aug 2003, 17:47 (Ref:692436)   #475
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
For San Francisco, they should go to Sears Point.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James