Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 9 Sep 2008, 22:29 (Ref:2286105)   #451
chewymonster
Veteran

chewymonster should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Still cant make cars that would attached the American consumer let alone pass all the US saftey requirements and emission laws. Renault with the past few years was looking to get back into the American market but their cars did not pass the crash test saftey standards. Nor did the Nissan dealers what the cars to do all the repairs.

But I think a few of you guys missed the point about Acura coming to Europe, and a NEW BRAND name.

The Accura brand name is of high quality and affordable luxurey. It should do well in Europe. May hurt some of the european brands as to which may requite a step up in quality though to compete with Accura.
BS. Renault cars can easily pass US safety and emission laws. It does cost quite a bit of money to certify cars for US sale, but I really doubt that modern Renaults would have problems. But like you said, the brand name is very weak so there is no point in selling cars in the US for them. And French cars have "funky" design so that wouldn't help either.

The Acura TSX is the Honda Accord sold in Europe, so that's one model they can't really sell as an Acura in Europe. The Acura RL (top of the line flagship Acura) is currently sold as a Honda Legend in Eruope. So again, that creates yet another problem. Basically I think this is the reason for the delay of Acura in Europe.

You can't charge more for a different badge when people have already been bying the same exact product for less for years.

As for diesels, the VW Jetta TDI meets all US requirements and is good for all 50 states. But yes, American car emissions are fairly tight and pretty hard for passanger car diesels to meet. Yet, US has less stringent emission regulations concernnig "pickups" so the diesel heavy dutys might not meet European rules.

Last edited by chewymonster; 9 Sep 2008 at 22:37.
Old 9 Sep 2008, 23:40 (Ref:2286136)   #452
The359
Veteran

United States
Pennsylvania, USA
The359 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Actually, Toyota merely rebadged their existing models (Altezza, Soarer, Harrier, etc) as Lexuses (IS350, SC430, RX350, etc) when they launched Lexus in Japan, so there's no reason Honda couldn't rebadge current Hondas as Acuras.
Old 9 Sep 2008, 23:44 (Ref:2286140)   #453
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Just as European Accords were sold here in Canada as Acura TSXs, I believe.
Old 10 Sep 2008, 04:01 (Ref:2286210)   #454
Ted bennett
Racer

England
Derbyshire
Ted bennett should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

But I think a few of you guys missed the point about Acura coming to Europe, and a NEW BRAND name.

The Accura brand name is of high quality and affordable luxurey. It should do well in Europe. May hurt some of the european brands as to which may requite a step up in quality though to compete with Accura.
Perhaps the point is that Honda are perceived somewhat differently in Europe than in the States. Honda are seen as a high quality luxury brand and would be considered affordable in comparison with Mercedes and BMW.
It seems to me that Acura would be a dificult brand to pitch in Europe. Lexus did make sense because Toyota did not have such a good reputation as Honda.
Old 10 Sep 2008, 11:34 (Ref:2286405)   #455
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted bennett
Perhaps the point is that Honda are perceived somewhat differently in Europe than in the States. Honda are seen as a high quality luxury brand and would be considered affordable in comparison with Mercedes and BMW.
It seems to me that Acura would be a dificult brand to pitch in Europe. Lexus did make sense because Toyota did not have such a good reputation as Honda.
You are most likely correct Ted.

Honda is not stupid. I am sure they have the marketing end of introducing Acura to the European market figured out.
Old 10 Sep 2008, 18:11 (Ref:2286628)   #456
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Brabham: "The dream one day will be to take Acura and Patrón Highcroft Racing to the Le Mans 24 Hours, but we don't know when that will be."

http://www.crash.net/motorsport/alms...r_brabham.html

Fingers crossed Brab's dream reflects Acura's dreams...
Old 11 Sep 2008, 07:49 (Ref:2286918)   #457
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted bennett
I see Honda as a quality product in the lower to medium market - rather similar to VW. However they do not compete on the same level as the upper ranges of BMW and Merc and also Lexus so a up market brand could well be an effective one. It certainly was for Lexus - Although I do agree that Honda has a more upmarket brand image than Toyota.

Notwithstanding this I just want to the the cars at Le Mans and if possible in the LMS - whether they call them Honda / Acura or whatever.
Old 11 Sep 2008, 11:37 (Ref:2287091)   #458
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal
I see Honda as a quality product in the lower to medium market - rather similar to VW. However they do not compete on the same level as the upper ranges of BMW and Merc and also Lexus so a up market brand could well be an effective one. It certainly was for Lexus - Although I do agree that Honda has a more upmarket brand image than Toyota.

Notwithstanding this I just want to the the cars at Le Mans and if possible in the LMS - whether they call them Honda / Acura or whatever.
That is what many ppl who have never driven Honda or Acuras think. Honda and Acura in luxury trim are on equal if not better quality level then BMW and Merc. Just a lot less money.

Honda builds cars are many price points. Extreemly reliable and consistily high on customer statisfaction.
Old 11 Sep 2008, 11:59 (Ref:2287113)   #459
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Quote:
That is what many ppl who have never driven Honda or Acuras think. Honda and Acura in luxury trim are on equal if not better quality level then BMW and Merc. Just a lot less money.
That may be so but peoples perception of a brand is all important in this the market and the higher up the market you go the more important it is. This almost 100% explains why Toyota chose to create Lexus - and to pretty good effect.
Old 11 Sep 2008, 12:22 (Ref:2287131)   #460
Hugewally
Veteran

United States
Largo, FL USA
Hugewally should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think you'll find that US import quotas had a lot to do with the creation of Lexus, Acura, Infinity, etc...
Old 13 Sep 2008, 22:17 (Ref:2289305)   #461
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Erik Berkman, Acura: "Unfortunately for you, given that we have not yet communicated to our choice on the engine, as you would expect, I can not comment on the announcement of the ACO, you must still wait…"

http://translate.google.com/translat...-8&sl=fr&tl=en
Old 13 Sep 2008, 22:32 (Ref:2289316)   #462
TRuss
Veteran

TRuss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTRuss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I worked as a service writer for a valet parking company a couple of years ago. The cars with the best fit and finish were Acuras and Lexus. By far. How sloppily a BMWs door's close is actually quite pitiful. And the paint quality on any new Mercedez is easily surpassed by even my '99 S-10. It's attrocious. If I had my car painted and it came back with that level of orange peel and just general non-smoothness I would be hot. Only somebody concerned with image would pay $90,000 for a car with that poor of a finish. It was eye opening experience parking cars for the wealthy. Only a few were cool.
Old 13 Sep 2008, 23:11 (Ref:2289334)   #463
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRuss
I worked as a service writer for a valet parking company a couple of years ago. The cars with the best fit and finish were Acuras and Lexus. By far. How sloppily a BMWs door's close is actually quite pitiful. And the paint quality on any new Mercedez is easily surpassed by even my '99 S-10. It's attrocious. If I had my car painted and it came back with that level of orange peel and just general non-smoothness I would be hot. Only somebody concerned with image would pay $90,000 for a car with that poor of a finish. It was eye opening experience parking cars for the wealthy. Only a few were cool.

I agree 1000%. If ppl think BMWs and MBs are the top of the line for quality, time to take a very close look at Acura and Lexus.

MBs paint is a step up from Macco
Old 17 Sep 2008, 22:56 (Ref:2292894)   #464
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hmm, We now see both Ganassi drivers in Acuras for Petit. Would it be a coup for Chip to beat out AGR for the second ARX-01c for next year? Maybe some movement away from the "World center of Racing" for Ganassi/Sabates hastened by the pullback from Mexico City among other things?

L.P.
Old 17 Sep 2008, 23:00 (Ref:2292901)   #465
dxk1
Veteran

United States
Annapolis
dxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG
Hmm, We now see both Ganassi drivers in Acuras for Petit. Would it be a coup for Chip to beat out AGR for the second ARX-01c for next year? Maybe some movement away from the "World center of Racing" for Ganassi/Sabates hastened by the pullback from Mexico City among other things?

L.P.
I believe Ganassi Racing would be an excellent addition to the ALMS field. Something worth looking for. If Ganassi wants to go where the action is, they will drop GARRA and move to ALMS.

DK
Old 17 Sep 2008, 23:30 (Ref:2292918)   #466
TRuss
Veteran

TRuss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTRuss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The second team will be DeFerran. Ganassi isn't going anywhere. He is too hob knobby with NASCAR.
Old 18 Sep 2008, 00:06 (Ref:2292934)   #467
Duff_44
Racer

United States
Bristol, CT
Duff_44 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
The second team will be DeFerran. Ganassi isn't going anywhere. He is too hob knobby with NASCAR.
Highcroft and de Ferran will be in P1 next year.

Fernandez is confirmed for P2, and there's been talk of one more team in P2. If Honda wants a 2nd team in P2, Ganassi might be a good fit.
Old 18 Sep 2008, 00:08 (Ref:2292935)   #468
The359
Veteran

United States
Pennsylvania, USA
The359 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ganassi is likely not leaving Grand-Am. There's no reason they couldn't run both though.
Old 18 Sep 2008, 01:18 (Ref:2292961)   #469
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
de Ferran Motorsports will be the second team with Patrón Hidgcroft in P-1 using the new ARX-02a. Fernandez will be running in P-2 with an ARX-01c and is expected to be joined by a second team, still possibly AGR if they can come up with the budgetary requirements ($$$).

L.P.
Old 18 Sep 2008, 03:37 (Ref:2292987)   #470
Hugewally
Veteran

United States
Largo, FL USA
Hugewally should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ganassi leave NASCAR? Only if Toyota and NASCAR say so...
Old 18 Sep 2008, 09:25 (Ref:2293088)   #471
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Fernandez should run 2 LMP2's , better chance of points for the championship .
Old 18 Sep 2008, 21:28 (Ref:2293418)   #472
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger
Fernandez should run 2 LMP2's , better chance of points for the championship .
I'm sure if you write Adrian the cheque for car #2, he'll be right on that!
Old 19 Sep 2008, 21:22 (Ref:2293936)   #473
TRuss
Veteran

Hugewally nailed it.
Old 19 Sep 2008, 21:50 (Ref:2293956)   #474
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
Quote:
Hugewally nailed it.
Hmm, seeing as how the main thrust of their Nascar involvement is with Dodge and not Toyota, with Honda in the IRL and Lexus in GA (with a single entry) how does Toyota dictate what Ganassi does?? Nailed on the head?? And they have already dropped one car in the Nascar ranks, the one that Dario was driving.

L.P.

Last edited by HORNDAWG; 19 Sep 2008 at 21:54.
Old 19 Sep 2008, 22:00 (Ref:2293962)   #475
TWK
Veteran

TWK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The359
Ganassi is likely not leaving Grand-Am. There's no reason they couldn't run both though.
Ganassi will stay in Grand Am if he's got sponsorship money - or money from somewhere - to pay the bills and make a bit of a profit on his operations.

Otherwise he's gone. Just like all this other operations.

And "no reason?" Of course there is a reason not to run both...money (or lack of it). Has anyone here noticed that such money is getting hard to come by?

OK, so what happens when sponsors say, "I'd rather 'move up' to Nationwide." What then? Right.

Ganassi, Penski, AJR, PTG, Pratt & Miller, none of them race for their health. Loyalty is as good as the next check. Any other assumption is pure nonsense.