Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 1 Feb 2011, 13:03 (Ref:2823823)   #451
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Al, my first pay packet was £62, £15 to mum for rent and £15 I spent on food ( she made me buy and cook my own!) I would have spent all the rest on my scooter and playing pool down the pub!
Old 1 Feb 2011, 13:06 (Ref:2823825)   #452
Cliff Ryan
Veteran

Cliff Ryan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCliff Ryan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick JM View Post
Nope...but there is a lawyer!

Nice try but unless you have some "lifestyle expenses" (I wonder what that could be) you can shove through the company you will be paying CT on the corporate profit and then income tax on the divvy
Unless you speak to a good accountant
Old 1 Feb 2011, 13:43 (Ref:2823863)   #453
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
Al, my first pay packet was £62, £15 to mum for rent and £15 I spent on food ( she made me buy and cook my own!) I would have spent all the rest on my scooter and playing pool down the pub!
Thats good Zef and you are no doubt a better man for it its my generation and probably yours that have and will spoil the kids. I always thought the pole tax was a good idea shame the tories didnt have the bottle to see it through, just why should a single fellow living at home with parents maybe earning a monkey a week not have to pay a penny towards council tax when some old widow who doesnt want to sell her family home and lives alone will have to pay thousands a year.
Old 1 Feb 2011, 13:46 (Ref:2823872)   #454
Nick JM
Veteran

United Kingdom
South Bucks
Nick JM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Ryan View Post

Are there any on here?
Old 1 Feb 2011, 13:51 (Ref:2823876)   #455
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
We have loads of kids here from Motor Racing University's, College's and Schools. Yep they are all useless but if you don't give them a chance then they will never learn.Over the years we have had three that have gone on to work in F1. That's nice..
I dont mind giving them a chance but I dont want to pay best part of £200 a week by the time I have done their tax and insurance and given them minimum wage for the privilage. This is what is wrong at the moment I have actually had people ask me to work for nothing but its illegal i have to pay the minimum wage its madness.
Old 1 Feb 2011, 14:52 (Ref:2823925)   #456
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Actually its none of the things you talk about. It goes back to 1949 and the original Human Rights Convention. That then became the European Court of Human Rights and that became part of Englich (UK) law.

Up until 1972 we had a coinstitution that required the citizen to think for him/her self. It was called the negative rights. Because nobody told you what rights you had just that you should obey the law and consider others.

The Human rights Convention changed that. It made the state responsible for the individual's wellbeing. There are good reasons for this. But the upshot is that nobody has the instinctive will to consider others or indeed work for a living because they have a right to freedom and to employment.

Barmy. Gordon Brown and his cronies had to implement the HRA 1998 because Europe said so (as it did for other Member States). That has screwed the pooch and hopefully this government will have the gonads to tone it down. But we'll never be rid of it sadly.
Old 1 Feb 2011, 15:04 (Ref:2823937)   #457
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Well according to a massive poll in one of the papers this morning a hell of a lot of people want out of europe.
Old 1 Feb 2011, 15:07 (Ref:2823941)   #458
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Al, Zef, ah, I remember those days. We used to work 27 hour days down t'pit and coom 'ome and our Dad used to thrash us to sleep wi' 'is belt. 'appy days....tell kids today that and they woon't believe you.....
Old 1 Feb 2011, 15:09 (Ref:2823942)   #459
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
@Al,

Because they don't understand the consequences. But I tend to agree and I do understand.

Here's an example of what I mean re the HRA. I think its Article 5 of the Convention that says a person cannot be discrimiated against for his gender, sexual orientaion, religius beliefs, colour etc...

Now to any civilised person that would be of no consequence because gender, gay/straight whatever is a personal thing and it would be a matter of pride to a civilised person not to discriminate. But no, the Human Rights Act actually makes it illegal not to positively discriminate for these people. Thus you get the gays telling you they have "gay rights". Well in fact they don't, they have human rights but the labour luvvies went too far.
Old 1 Feb 2011, 15:11 (Ref:2823945)   #460
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman View Post
This is what is wrong at the moment I have actually had people ask me to work for nothing but its illegal i have to pay the minimum wage its madness.
Interesting. Both my daughters are/have taken Architecture degrees. They have to have a year out in practice before they can start the next part, but there's sod all in the way of available jobs. Some students do work for nothing just to get through it. My youngest comes from Leeds to Altrincham every thursday night and works for free every friday, just to the get the experience (as well as to do her washing, get free food etc)
Old 1 Feb 2011, 15:36 (Ref:2823958)   #461
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Raine View Post
Interesting. Both my daughters are/have taken Architecture degrees. They have to have a year out in practice before they can start the next part, but there's sod all in the way of available jobs. Some students do work for nothing just to get through it. My youngest comes from Leeds to Altrincham every thursday night and works for free every friday, just to the get the experience (as well as to do her washing, get free food etc)
Flipping heck Al. Your going to be quids in when they do start working.
Old 1 Feb 2011, 15:37 (Ref:2823960)   #462
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman View Post
I dont mind giving them a chance but I dont want to pay best part of £200 a week by the time I have done their tax and insurance and given them minimum wage for the privilage. This is what is wrong at the moment I have actually had people ask me to work for nothing but its illegal i have to pay the minimum wage its madness.
Shirley if it's work experience they're on then they don't get paid do they.
Old 1 Feb 2011, 15:56 (Ref:2823971)   #463
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Flipping heck Al. Your going to be quids in when they do start working.
I wish. Bloody hard course and rubbish money at the end of it. Somehow I think I'm going to be working for a long time
Old 1 Feb 2011, 16:00 (Ref:2823974)   #464
Cliff Ryan
Veteran

Cliff Ryan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCliff Ryan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick JM View Post
Are there any on here?
Old 1 Feb 2011, 16:52 (Ref:2823994)   #465
compte deGraves
Veteran

France
Charente, France
compte deGraves should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcompte deGraves should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Raine View Post
I suspect you will be supporting them for a while longer. If England is anything like France is takes much much longer for an architect to qualify than it does a solicitor or an accountant or a doctor or a vet...........
Old 1 Feb 2011, 16:53 (Ref:2823995)   #466
compte deGraves
Veteran

France
Charente, France
compte deGraves should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcompte deGraves should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
.................and politicians don't need any qualification at all!
Old 1 Feb 2011, 16:55 (Ref:2823996)   #467
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by compte deGraves View Post
I suspect you will be supporting them for a while longer. If England is anything like France is takes much much longer for an architect to qualify than it does a solicitor or an accountant or a doctor or a vet...........
At least 7 years to get a masters degree.
Old 1 Feb 2011, 18:16 (Ref:2824040)   #468
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
One of my school mates went on and became an architect. He did not Finnish university until he was 30.I was already not!!!! a famous racing driver by then
Old 1 Feb 2011, 18:18 (Ref:2824041)   #469
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Seven plus years to become a doctor.
Old 1 Feb 2011, 18:27 (Ref:2824052)   #470
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Which of course is why they command such high fees after such a long and intensive period of training on little or no pay (threads on "Cost of Medicals" passim)
Old 1 Feb 2011, 18:34 (Ref:2824058)   #471
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Unless they have a hooky Asian degree and please dont say it doesnt happen.

Tim, You can only have a kid on work experience for a short period, so you waste a load of time explaining what to do then they go back to college, very productive not!
Old 1 Feb 2011, 19:10 (Ref:2824096)   #472
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Which of course is why they command such high fees after such a long and intensive period of training on little or no pay (threads on "Cost of Medicals" passim)
Make that "such a long and intensive period of training on no pay" and don't get me started on the cost of it all.
Old 1 Feb 2011, 20:06 (Ref:2824136)   #473
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
An Architect needs to be talented AND qualified . . . atop that, experience is needed before you can earn a living, let alone make any money. not a career for the feint hearted.

I was too 'arty' as a draughtsman in an engineering environment, too agricultural for architectural companies I experienced???? Having worked for a Decent German company on some larger canopy roofing projects worldwide I learnt the balance. thats not to say I agreed, I was low in the pecking order at Ove Arup/Hopkins for example.

still made a valid here and there point though.

perhaps I should have followed architecture, I love it, but I can't see how it would have happened
Old 1 Feb 2011, 20:07 (Ref:2824138)   #474
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
.................and politicians don't need any qualification at all!
..... and not even a minimum three laps of practice to get a qualifying waiver and start from the back....
Old 1 Feb 2011, 20:24 (Ref:2824150)   #475
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Ryan View Post
I was introduced to someone referred to as a 'creative' accountant once. He did some good work for me for a couple of years, and nice refunds followed. Just give me all your receipts he asked..... I was always amazed at the number of racecar/slick tyres my road car used in a year .

But I was always scared to death of opening the front door when it rang and it was someone I did not recognise on the little monitor screen I have for the porch.
Closed Thread