Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 23 Sep 2019, 16:03 (Ref:3929681)   #4926
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'm sure people like Iain and I pass the proposed working time in one weekend! Same with farmers and so many more workers on whom the country relies.

And when we're all working four day weeks, where are they going to get their quinoa and goats cheese on gluten free bread? Most small businesses can't pay more staff to do the same work.

Can't be done.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 23 Sep 2019, 17:39 (Ref:3929706)   #4927
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
I'm sure people like Iain and I pass the proposed working time in one weekend! Same with farmers and so many more workers on whom the country relies.

And when we're all working four day weeks, where are they going to get their quinoa and goats cheese on gluten free bread? Most small businesses can't pay more staff to do the same work.

Can't be done.

But Max we love what we do. "sometimes".
Old 23 Sep 2019, 17:58 (Ref:3929717)   #4928
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Iain aren't you chuffed to know you will only have to work 32 hours a week, and get the same money?

No more trips across Europe, no more midnight oil sorting cars, no early starts at Spa etc.

Happy days (are coming)

Good old Jeremy.
Old 23 Sep 2019, 18:07 (Ref:3929728)   #4929
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Iain I met some very nice people at Charade this weekend. They enter the french Formula Ford championship on a regular basis, had a nice talk with Paul Mac Morran, Ian McCulla and Nicky Gibson and a mechanic. Guess you know some of them. Others are Mike Gardner and Alan Crocker. Gardner finished seventh (Crosslé 32F) and Gibson finished 9th (Crosslé 32F), Ashley McCulla 11th (Crosslé 45F) and Alan Crocker 12th (Ray F71).
Nice batch of chaps! Unfortunately the sunny weather turned to a storm Sunday at noon.
Old 23 Sep 2019, 18:57 (Ref:3929750)   #4930
Alfaholic
Veteran

England
Felixstowe
Alfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAlfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just a quick question - if you can get two historic Formula Fords to successfully mate, is the resulting offspring a Formula Junior?

Click image for larger version

Name:	A bit too close (2).JPG
Views:	23
Size:	2.08 MB
ID:	53961

(From the HSCC meeting on Saturday)
Old 23 Sep 2019, 20:53 (Ref:3929775)   #4931
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I don't disagree. But imagine if we were forced to knock off early and go home. Unbearable! Mrs D and Mrs MM would be driven mad by us hanging around the houses.....

Old 23 Sep 2019, 21:22 (Ref:3929784)   #4932
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interesting to that the younger guy/marshal in the back was from my college course last year.

Small world we live in sometimes.
Old 24 Sep 2019, 10:20 (Ref:3929854)   #4933
apriliadriver
Racer

United Kingdom
Ruislip, Middx
apriliadriver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
All this talk of Merlins and Packard Merlins- what you need is a Sea Fury with its 3000bhp twin bank Bristol Centaurus radial......

Edit- 53.6 litres........
Or , even better, a 36.7 litre sleeve-valve H-24 (two flat twelves on top of each other) Napier Sabre at 3250+ hp.....
Old 24 Sep 2019, 12:01 (Ref:3929874)   #4934
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Sleeve-valve could be said "sans soupape" methink? You need another tank for oil like with a two stroke!
Old 24 Sep 2019, 13:02 (Ref:3929892)   #4935
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Sleeve-valve could be said "sans soupape" methink? You need another tank for oil like with a two stroke!
From an article in Motorsport mag some 30 odd years ago... Dont know if it is the same thing

Quote:
A racing innovation
Motor racing is intended to improve the breed of ordinary cars and give opportunities for experimentation. To this end there have been not only many variations of the four-stroke poppet-valve engine used in races but also sleeve-valve, rotary-valve, even rotary engines as in the current Norton motorcycles, and variants of the two-stroke engine. One interesting innovation was that tried in a Schmid racing car in that memorable 1924 French GP at Lyons, which Sunbeam were expected to win but, their magnetos changed on the eve of the race, they gave away to Alfa Romeo.

What Schmid used was a cuff-valve engine. It was an ingenious form of sleeve-valve power-unit and it seems surprising that it was not continued with, for production cars, getting rid as it did of the problems associated with the better-known forms of sans soupape. For what the engineer concerned did was to use short sleeve, or cuff, valves situated above the pistons, so that the interposition of long sleeves between cylinder walls and pistons was obviated. Such sleeves, until light steel ones were introduced, were heavy and their interaction between rising and falling pistons and semi-rotating sleeves had detrimental effects on lubrication, which they required in quantity, and which could result in gumming-up in such engines if they were laid up for a longish period.
That is just the intro, Full article here:

https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/a...ing-innovation
Old 24 Sep 2019, 15:54 (Ref:3929910)   #4936
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Thank you Jean Pierre I'll have a look to this interesting info. I only drove one sans soupapes car was a Panhard & Levassor Dynamic. Smooth running engine as you can't imagine absolutely vibe free. Starter is via what was called a Dynastar meaning the "two way dynamo" in the old days. A wonderful machine.
Old 24 Sep 2019, 19:58 (Ref:3929947)   #4937
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Delta, I am off to watch the football tomorrow night at Molineux, and hoping for the right result!!!
Old 24 Sep 2019, 22:50 (Ref:3929970)   #4938
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Went to see this today https://myalmeria.com/en/pulpi/info/676-the-giant-geode about half an hour up the road from our gaff, then off for a 3 course meal for 2 with a bottle of red/a beer/huge bottle of water/and a couple of coffees, 20€ all in. 32c today and off for a swim in the sea.
Now you know why we like being down here in our dotage for 5-6 months a year.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 24 Sep 2019, 23:30 (Ref:3929980)   #4939
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
Went to see this today https://myalmeria.com/en/pulpi/info/676-the-giant-geode about half an hour up the road from our gaff, then off for a 3 course meal for 2 with a bottle of red/a beer/huge bottle of water/and a couple of coffees, 20€ all in. 32c today and off for a swim in the sea.
Now you know why we like being down here in our dotage for 5-6 months a year.
Hehehe I am going to miss the good old menu del dias when I head back to Oz on Sunday. A bit colder up here in Calpe.... only 29C! I can understand why my Mum and Dad came to live here 25 years ago and why Mum still does now Dad has passed.
6 months here in Spain and 6 months in Aus would be ideal for me.... two summers and no winter.
Old 24 Sep 2019, 23:59 (Ref:3929986)   #4940
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
Hehehe I am going to miss the good old menu del dias when I head back to Oz on Sunday. A bit colder up here in Calpe.... only 29C! I can understand why my Mum and Dad came to live here 25 years ago and why Mum still does now Dad has passed.
6 months here in Spain and 6 months in Aus would be ideal for me.... two summers and no winter.
I do have to put up with this though I left the sound track off so you couldn't hear the "compliments" that I made !
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKji5A7lqrs This was all in ten minutes of leaving yesterday morning !
Actually this wasn't the menu del dia it was the normal price all week and any time as I said it was out in the sticks.

Last edited by GORDON STREETER; 25 Sep 2019 at 00:06.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 25 Sep 2019, 04:18 (Ref:3930008)   #4941
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
Delta, I am off to watch the football tomorrow night at Molineux, and hoping for the right result!!!
Have a good evening Andy . I don’t think we will trouble you . I remember when you came to us for play off match many years ago . The stadium was full and what with our blue and your yellow it made a fantastic picture . Delta Motor Sport colours .
Old 25 Sep 2019, 05:41 (Ref:3930012)   #4942
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Have a good evening Andy . I don’t think we will trouble you . I remember when you came to us for play off match many years ago . The stadium was full and what with our blue and your yellow it made a fantastic picture . Delta Motor Sport colours .
We will see, Delta, we haven’t had the greatest start to the season and will probably play a “B Team” anyway.
Old 26 Sep 2019, 05:43 (Ref:3930171)   #4943
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Did you stay to the end Andy . Well done . We can now concentrate on staying in the championship .
Old 26 Sep 2019, 06:34 (Ref:3930176)   #4944
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Has anyone have any idea what the heck these two are talking about?
Old 26 Sep 2019, 08:15 (Ref:3930184)   #4945
midgetman
Veteran

I think it's some game involving grown men chasing a pig's bladder. Dwyle flunking I think they call it.

They talk about it a lot down the Ferret and Trouser Leg over a pint of fizzy lager.

Old 26 Sep 2019, 08:21 (Ref:3930186)   #4946
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here's something more up your street Bob. Yesterday's world road race time trial 'up north'.
Attached Thumbnails
_DSF7452_10Tenths.jpg  
Old 26 Sep 2019, 09:01 (Ref:3930198)   #4947
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary396 View Post
Here's something more up your street Bob. Yesterday's world road race time trial 'up north'.

The bloke on the bike must have been going some to beat the bike and the car.

Given the event seems to be taking place in the middle of a conurbation can one assume that all three vehicles are forms of EVs?

Old 26 Sep 2019, 11:56 (Ref:3930214)   #4948
midgetman
Veteran

Speaking of EVs, I see there's a growing movement into electric Classics, and highlighted in the BMHT magazine is a new-design classic motorcycle with electric power.

I still don't get it. Electric cars are modern, cool, the latest thing. Classic cars derive their charm from their ICEs, leaking oil all over the place, failing to start when you most need them.

Oh, wait, I was going to say an electric classic is like painting a tache on the Mona Lisa. But maybe I've talked myself out of it

Old 26 Sep 2019, 13:14 (Ref:3930220)   #4949
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
Quote:
Did you stay to the end Andy . Well done . We can now concentrate on staying in the championship .
Yes, i stayed until the end. Our B team is better than your B team, as you would expect really.

Good match I thought. We were easily on top in first half without creating too many good chances. In second half we went off boil due to our and your substitutions. We gave debuts to several teensgers. Strange we had 2 people off on stretchers and our striker crocked when it wasnt a dirty game.

We played last 7-8 minutes with 9 men effectively as had used all our subs up and then had the second stretcher case and Cutrone hobbling so not surprised you scored.
Glad we got through - Villa away in next round but Watford and Man City next in the league and Beskitas in Europa League. We need to improve.
Old 26 Sep 2019, 15:00 (Ref:3930230)   #4950
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Something a little different.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2NnVtQpAvg

The earlyish days of Karting in the UK. 1960s. Apparently.

Did I hear the name "Stephen South"?

As teenager I recall avidly reading Karting Magazine (or some such periodical) for a couple of years at one point. Ah! the dreams of youth...

Something to watch should the Belgian weekend be interrupted by weather events.
Closed Thread