Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 12 Jun 2014, 00:38 (Ref:3419008)   #4926
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
hondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridhondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Red Bull LMP1?
http://www.omnicorse.it/magazine/388...-un-catamarano
Old 12 Jun 2014, 02:15 (Ref:3419023)   #4927
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Unless google translation is really bad: a bunch of ifs, maybes and pipe dream speculation.
Old 12 Jun 2014, 06:10 (Ref:3419055)   #4928
Hendrix
Racer

United States
Minnesota
Hendrix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The only way I could see Red Bull doing an LMP1 team is if they managed to buy a chassis or two from Audi, Porsche, Nissan or Toyota (which would have nothing to do with Adrian), or if they developed one as a works team for a manufacturer (doesn't seem likely unless they are playing a role in the Nissan).

Unless they go for LMP1-L it seems like these cars are just too complex to drop a PU in any chassis and be competitive.
Old 12 Jun 2014, 06:47 (Ref:3419065)   #4929
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendrix View Post
The only way I could see Red Bull doing an LMP1 team is if they managed to buy a chassis or two from Audi, Porsche, Nissan or Toyota (which would have nothing to do with Adrian), or if they developed one as a works team for a manufacturer (doesn't seem likely unless they are playing a role in the Nissan).

Unless they go for LMP1-L it seems like these cars are just too complex to drop a PU in any chassis and be competitive.
Well, Newey has had some experience playing around with Red Bull prototypes in the past...

Old 12 Jun 2014, 12:49 (Ref:3419188)   #4930
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
I could see Red Bull sponsoring Porsche more aggressively. Webber still has his Red Bull logo on his helmet, that might be their foot in the door.

Do we really want Newey in sportscars? No we don't!
Old 12 Jun 2014, 13:00 (Ref:3419194)   #4931
BrentJackson
Racer

Canada
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
BrentJackson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBrentJackson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
Do we really want Newey in sportscars? No we don't!
And why not? He's a technocrat at heart, and he's good at this. I'm curious to see what he could do with an LMP1.
Old 12 Jun 2014, 13:15 (Ref:3419198)   #4932
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
He's great at breaking the spirit of the regulations. Anything he develops is sure to be entangled in significant controversy .
Old 12 Jun 2014, 13:45 (Ref:3419206)   #4933
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentJackson View Post
And why not? He's a technocrat at heart, and he's good at this. I'm curious to see what he could do with an LMP1.
I'm game if it's a genuinely experimental project. But I'm not personally over enthused if his team walks it in a LMP1 concept we've seen already.
Old 12 Jun 2014, 13:48 (Ref:3419208)   #4934
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Adrian Newey seems to be one of the best racing automobile designers alive to day. Why wouldn't we want him in sports cars?

And yeah, creatively interpreting the rules---that's something sports car racing doesn't need.

Say, who is this Jim Hall guy I read about?
Old 12 Jun 2014, 14:04 (Ref:3419223)   #4935
Mr Pink
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
Mr Pink should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Articus View Post
He's great at breaking the spirit of the regulations. Anything he develops is sure to be entangled in significant controversy .
I know this wasn't meant very seriously but I hate the expression "spirit of the regulations"! Either it's legal and you should let it race, or it's not and you shouldn't let it..

I for one would be thrilled to see what he could do with more open regs!
Old 12 Jun 2014, 14:35 (Ref:3419248)   #4936
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Pink View Post
I know this wasn't meant very seriously but I hate the expression "spirit of the regulations"! Either it's legal and you should let it race, or it's not and you shouldn't let it..
Well there are always blurred lines. Rules are one thing. Enforcing them is another. For example, you have decided to place a ban on flexible wings for aerodynamic gain. How do you prevent teams from running flexible wings? Static test is one method. That's what the FIA did and Red Bull passed with flying colors, but we could see that the Red Bull wings where moving at speed. That's not in the spirit of the regulations. Figuring out ways to beat the testing system is breaking the spirit of the regulations.

In that case, the rules are black and white. Not much else is.

Last edited by Articus; 12 Jun 2014 at 14:41.
Old 12 Jun 2014, 15:51 (Ref:3419280)   #4937
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
"In that case, the rules are black and white. Not much else is."

Well, if the rules are black and white, there is no "Spirit of the Rules."

If the rules, in black and white, do not prohibit something, then that thing is not prohibited. "Spirit of the Rules" is totally grey ... or totally imaginary ...

If the completed part passes the test used to determine if it is legal—in black and white—then how can it be other than legal? The black-and-white determination of what is legal has been met.

This is a competitive sport. Design is a realm for competition, from chassis to engine to aero.

Either you have spec cars, or we have creative designers. Which do you prefer?
Old 12 Jun 2014, 16:40 (Ref:3419302)   #4938
Mr Pink
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
Mr Pink should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post

If the rules, in black and white, do not prohibit something, then that thing is not prohibited. "Spirit of the Rules" is totally grey ... or totally imaginary ...

If the completed part passes the test used to determine if it is legal—in black and white—then how can it be other than legal? The black-and-white determination of what is legal has been met.

This is a competitive sport. Design is a realm for competition, from chassis to engine to aero.

Either you have spec cars, or we have creative designers. Which do you prefer?
I was trying to think how to word my reply to get my point across but this is exactly what I meant!

Same goes for BoP (or BoT) too, just let the engineers do their job and be rewarded if they did good.
Old 12 Jun 2014, 18:10 (Ref:3419381)   #4939
Articus
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post

I don't think that's a good interpretation. The written rules are black and white. They explicitly state what you can and cannot do. However enforcing the rules is another subject and this is where the spirit/intent of the rules is broken. When I say spirit, I mean intent if that's better. Black and White says you did not build a wing that would pass deflection test knowing it would flex and reduce your drag on track. That is against the black and white nature of the rules but is passable only because their has not been an effective way to enforce this rule.

Rules and enforcement are two different matters. If rules could be perfectly enforced at all time. No one could ever break them. It's exactly because they cannot be that allows spirit of the rules to be broken.
Old 12 Jun 2014, 23:18 (Ref:3419690)   #4940
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Actually, he's great at causing authorities to ban his innovations mid-season.

Rmember the Toyota LMP1's rear wing extensions? The ACO bosses said "they found the gap in the rulebook, so their rivals should be catching up" or so.
Old 13 Jun 2014, 05:46 (Ref:3419742)   #4941
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
So it seems likely that GTE will follow the GT convergence model for the 2016 rule set.

http://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/d...ture-gte-regs/

L.P.
Old 14 Jun 2014, 18:47 (Ref:3420896)   #4942
madfast
Rookie

madfast should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG View Post
So it seems likely that GTE will follow the GT convergence model for the 2016 rule set.

http://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/d...ture-gte-regs/

L.P.
good news. even if they can't agree on the engine regs, they at least agreed on everything else. perhaps the 2016 rules can make it so an engine swap is all that is necessary to convert from GT3 to GTE and vice versa. not total convergence, but better than the status quo.
Old 14 Jun 2014, 22:28 (Ref:3421099)   #4943
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
My prediction for new G56 effort - BMW hydrogen.
Old 15 Jun 2014, 01:24 (Ref:3421200)   #4944
Puzzle
Rookie

New Zealand
New Zealand
Puzzle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada ALMS fan View Post
My prediction for new G56 effort - BMW hydrogen.
that would raise some very cool possibilities, run the range extender on an i8 on hydrogen and build the rest of the car to gte maybe
Old 15 Jun 2014, 08:06 (Ref:3421647)   #4945
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Andrew Marriott just said what we've been hearing rumours of all week - the Nissan LMP1 may be front engined. Hasn't Nissan stolen enough of Don Panoz's ideas already?
Old 15 Jun 2014, 08:11 (Ref:3421651)   #4946
MagVanisher
Veteran

MagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't know if Mr. Panoz would try to sue Nissan for copying his front-engined LMP design, but good luck for Nissan for figuring out how to make an efficient FR race car!
Old 15 Jun 2014, 12:11 (Ref:3421948)   #4947
Koenigsegg
Veteran

Netherlands
Netherlands
Koenigsegg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gasoline engine in the front, electric engines in the back?
Old 15 Jun 2014, 12:13 (Ref:3421951)   #4948
Articus
Veteran

It is truly a terrible idea. They won't be winning Le Mans in 2016 with it...I also saw that someone from Nissan said they secret was not front engined.

didn't those front engine rumours originate from this very forum
Old 15 Jun 2014, 15:59 (Ref:3422088)   #4949
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A FR prototype car isn't a great one. The balance tends to be quite poor.

With things being what they are rule-wise now, and the need for a great honking 300lb V8 being gone, it can probably be made to work.

It'll be impressive...might even look a bit bat-mobile-ish if they decide FR is the way to go.

Last edited by MoMedic9019; 15 Jun 2014 at 16:04.
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 15 Jun 2014, 17:15 (Ref:3422130)   #4950
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
It is truly a terrible idea. They won't be winning Le Mans in 2016 with it...I also saw that someone from Nissan said they secret was not front engined.
Cox himself: http://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/n...-mans-in-2015/

Quote:
didn't those front engine rumours originate from this very forum
iirc it was some one-line rumor/suggestion on some E-I story. Marriot probably read that... but here we go again.