Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 28 Mar 2019, 00:22 (Ref:3893819)   #4951
MagicBoy
Racer

United Kingdom
MagicBoy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Well I think that’s not really a great reason for reducing the grid size. If it ain’t broke...
The guy in charge of running the series says there's too many cars, ie it's broke at certain tracks. Perfectly good reason for me.
Old 28 Mar 2019, 07:12 (Ref:3893843)   #4952
antnee
Veteran

antnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridantnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The BTC situation is a little strange to me, no major sponsors and for a big-budget seat? You would expect all the liveries to be sorted for the media launch/official test day as that is when ITV do a lot of their pictures for graphics to be used throughout the season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopAlong View Post
I would have thought having the car on track getting pictures taken would be a better "sponsor commitment" to be honest.
There has been more talk about him for not being there though
Old 28 Mar 2019, 07:47 (Ref:3893847)   #4953
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sceptic View Post
Exactly. After Neal had spent the day testing at Brands.
The Honda is in a very good position. Expect it to be on pole in 10 days time.
To my mind, the only question is WHICH Honda will win the pole. Unless TOCA turn their boost way down I see the Dynamics pair, the AmD pair and the BTC pair up at the sharp end. I think the FK2 could bag it...
Old 28 Mar 2019, 07:47 (Ref:3893848)   #4954
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Was everyone on the same tyre?
Old 28 Mar 2019, 07:57 (Ref:3893849)   #4955
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
It was broke though at 32 cars. The paddock space is one of many problems with a grid that large.....
32 is too big. At Knockhill the back row is down the hill at the hairpin with that many cars. At Brands they're back somewhere near Dartford. Most British tracks were simply never "planned" for grids that big.

Throw in the support package and you end up without enough paddock space. It doesn't seem too long ago I was in a "tent" at Knockhill holding up the canvas with a broom in the inclement weather whilst some hardworking mechanics battled to make a BTCC car straight enough to start a race. And that was a BTCC car. Not a dad and lad Ginetta Junior.
Old 28 Mar 2019, 07:59 (Ref:3893850)   #4956
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by antnee View Post

There has been more talk about him for not being there though
Yeah! Hub of all knowledge this. Autosport are still hanging around outside the My Little Pony factory hoping to spot Matt coming out having done the sponsorship deal for Team Unicorn...
Old 28 Mar 2019, 08:28 (Ref:3893855)   #4957
geordiecriag101
Racer

United Kingdom
Market Harborough
geordiecriag101 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgeordiecriag101 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Had a cracking day at Brands yesterday, the new format worked a treat with 6hrs of track time and not a single red flag all day, tho i personal wish they had stayed at Donington but used the new format.

Anyway from trackside, the new BMW looked stunning, so controlled, driveable and predictable and to be able to do the times they are doing already shows how how good a job they have done.

The Toyota looked fast, but a real handful, the rear end looked so light and the car was almost in a drift most of the time.

Anyhow, here's my vid of the days action if anyone interested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOUKysIUCUE
Old 28 Mar 2019, 08:58 (Ref:3893862)   #4958
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
32 is too big. At Knockhill the back row is down the hill at the hairpin with that many cars. At Brands they're back somewhere near Dartford. Most British tracks were simply never "planned" for grids that big.

Throw in the support package and you end up without enough paddock space. It doesn't seem too long ago I was in a "tent" at Knockhill holding up the canvas with a broom in the inclement weather whilst some hardworking mechanics battled to make a BTCC car straight enough to start a race. And that was a BTCC car. Not a dad and lad Ginetta Junior.
in fairness the worst thing to happen to the non-garage paddock space is all the btcc motorhomes. with the loss of the biggest clio team (wde), there might actually be room to swing a cat at brands this season. though with more juniors it’s probably a case of swings and roundabouts...

you can’t claim to have worked in british motorsport till you’ve lost all or part of an awning
Old 28 Mar 2019, 09:09 (Ref:3893866)   #4959
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by geordiecriag101 View Post
Had a cracking day at Brands yesterday, the new format worked a treat with 6hrs of track time and not a single red flag all day, tho i personal wish they had stayed at Donington but used the new format.

Anyway from trackside, the new BMW looked stunning, so controlled, driveable and predictable and to be able to do the times they are doing already shows how how good a job they have done.

The Toyota looked fast, but a real handful, the rear end looked so light and the car was almost in a drift most of the time.

Cheers Craig, always look forward to your videos.
Old 28 Mar 2019, 09:18 (Ref:3893867)   #4960
RS67
Veteran

RS67 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
32 is too big. At Knockhill the back row is down the hill at the hairpin with that many cars. At Brands they're back somewhere near Dartford.
So at Brands the back row is in front of the front row?
Old 28 Mar 2019, 09:20 (Ref:3893869)   #4961
Steel Wheels
Veteran

Steel Wheels should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSteel Wheels should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
Was everyone on the same tyre?
No I think Dynamics, BTC, AmD, TPR & at least one or two others ran the ‘softs’ at some point. They were quick for a lap or 2 then had big drop off.
Old 28 Mar 2019, 10:01 (Ref:3893873)   #4962
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by geordiecriag101 View Post

the newe BMW looks really big compared to other cars
Old 28 Mar 2019, 10:30 (Ref:3893881)   #4963
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
The BMW 3 series just looks right as a touring car.
Old 28 Mar 2019, 10:35 (Ref:3893882)   #4964
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I agree, the new BMW looks alright on track. Also nice to see the old green and black on the MG

Adam Morgan must be the only one who’s kept the same livery from last season
Old 28 Mar 2019, 11:09 (Ref:3893886)   #4965
jsmee
Veteran

England
Essex, UK
jsmee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
I agree, the new BMW looks alright on track. Also nice to see the old green and black on the MG

Adam Morgan must be the only one who’s kept the same livery from last season
Adam's livery is different, albeit just an evolution on last year (rear and sides)

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 28 Mar 2019, 11:34 (Ref:3893891)   #4966
BobJones
Veteran

BobJones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Still no sponsors for BTC? Oh dear...
Old 28 Mar 2019, 11:40 (Ref:3893893)   #4967
jsmee
Veteran

England
Essex, UK
jsmee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobJones View Post
Still no sponsors for BTC? Oh dear...
Does it matter? As long as its funded for the season to compete well. Results will speak for themselves, but they have some of the most professional looking cars out there, again, and with two race winners in the front seats. Good luck to them!

Old 28 Mar 2019, 11:49 (Ref:3893896)   #4968
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I agree. I think the results will be what helps BTC Norlin this season, with two race winners and an up to date car too
Old 28 Mar 2019, 12:53 (Ref:3893901)   #4969
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A lot of the circuits were built decades ago, when cars were on 2x2 grid, so 32 cars on a grid didn't take up as much space.

BTCC specifies 1x1 grid so cars are spread out twice as far, hence why the back rows of the grid are in a different postcode to the start lights at some circuits.
Old 28 Mar 2019, 13:10 (Ref:3893903)   #4970
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmee View Post
Does it matter? As long as its funded for the season to compete well. Results will speak for themselves, but they have some of the most professional looking cars out there, again, and with two race winners in the front seats. Good luck to them!

I agree apart from the fact that there's nothing professional in cars with almost no sponsor stickers at all.
Old 28 Mar 2019, 13:14 (Ref:3893904)   #4971
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt K View Post
I agree apart from the fact that there's nothing professional in cars with almost no sponsor stickers at all.
Philip Morris own the rights to the Ferrari F1 car livery but you don't see their stickers on the car. You wouldn't call Ferrari unprofessional.

As long as the bills are being paid then there is no problem, we know some teams that are covered in sponsors and haven't paid their bills.
Old 28 Mar 2019, 13:15 (Ref:3893906)   #4972
MagicBoy
Racer

United Kingdom
MagicBoy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt K View Post

It's the teams choice, the bills are being paid irrespective of it being covered in stickers. It's not a question of professionalism.
Old 28 Mar 2019, 13:28 (Ref:3893908)   #4973
crmalcolm
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Team A are criticised for 'sticker-bombing' and having an unprofessional livery.

Team B are criticised for lack of stickers and having an unprofessional livery.

I know I was critical of the Pirtek BMW, but that was design opinion, not the presence or lack of visible sponsorship.
Old 28 Mar 2019, 13:53 (Ref:3893911)   #4974
BobJones
Veteran

BobJones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_l View Post
Philip Morris own the rights to the Ferrari F1 car livery but you don't see their stickers on the car. You wouldn't call Ferrari unprofessional.
Not for free, they don't, and a lack of incoming revenue is the death-knell.

I, of course, wish them luck and subjectively like the design, but this is an auspicious start after Bert upset Norlin.
Old 28 Mar 2019, 14:39 (Ref:3893919)   #4975
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobJones View Post
Not for free, they don't, and a lack of incoming revenue is the death-knell.

I, of course, wish them luck and subjectively like the design, but this is an auspicious start after Bert upset Norlin.
Upset Norlin?