Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 14 Aug 2009, 16:56 (Ref:2521461)   #26
V8thunderfan
Rookie

Wales
Vale of Glamorgan
V8thunderfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think its more than just putting juice in the transporter. But your right Knockhill is becoming an optional round for the smaller teams these days.
Old 14 Aug 2009, 17:02 (Ref:2521464)   #27
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Surprising really, given the carnage that usually occurs there. The minnows would have more of a chance of scoring some decent points when the likes of Plato and Neal wipe out half the remaining field.
Old 14 Aug 2009, 17:37 (Ref:2521476)   #28
belter
Rookie

belter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
People just dont get it !!!!!!!

If it was £200 diesel everyone would be there.Let me try to explain on a normal weekend in BTCC its Fri Sat Sun with Scotland its Thurs,Fri,SAt Sun,Mon Thats about 50% more in costs.And its £1000 for diesel in our truck!
Also for the paying driver which is just about everyone there are 3 meetings this month and believe it or not thats best part of £100k just for August.

Its tough out there very Tough but the cost to you are nothing compared to these boys

Tyres alone for Knockers will be £5k because its going to be a wet one

Wish we were there like all the others who are not bet they think the same.

Sponsor a driver thats the best way !!!!!!!

Liam Please!!!
Old 14 Aug 2009, 17:58 (Ref:2521488)   #29
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I can definitely appreciate belters point having paid to have a car moved round the country - it aint cheap!

Perhaps the problem is just how accesible the BTCC is. I don't mean this to be dis-respectful to anyone, it might just sound like it, but given that the championship is more affordable to independants than it was in ST days, I guess a lot of drivers have a budget thats near enough to compete, but when it comes to doing far away rounds such as Knockhill, they scrap them so they can spend more on a meeting closer to home.
Old 14 Aug 2009, 20:19 (Ref:2521565)   #30
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
If you are going to compete and have a serious assault on the series, surely you would attend all rounds?

I can appreciate that doing a Scotland round is more expensive, but would people not factor that into competing when finalising a budget?
Old 14 Aug 2009, 21:18 (Ref:2521593)   #31
crmalcolm
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think everyone who is serious about challenging for a title will be running at Knockhill.
It's the smaller entries, as identified by touringlegend, that don't see the extra outlay as being worth their while.

Perhaps a better way to run it might be that smaller teams entering pay into a pot that had a set fee per event, and then have their expenses covered from this pot. This would make a round at Silverstone, Rockingham, Knockhill or even Mondello Park cost the same for entry regardless of team's location.
Old 15 Aug 2009, 09:39 (Ref:2521756)   #32
Icebaby
Veteran

Icebaby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree, Knockhill is an important addition to the calander as many events are held in England when it is a "British championship", if anything I would like to see one more race added to Scotland.

I am suprised the demonstration on the city is only in scotland and no other citys take this idea on board.

As said the main title fighters are there but as pointed out the independants stand a great chance of bagging points. If wet I can see this being a controversial incident packed event.
Old 15 Aug 2009, 11:07 (Ref:2521795)   #33
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It all depends on the willingness of the councils as to whether these demos take place. There was supposed to be one in Southampton a few years back prior to Thruxton, but when they realised the 30mph limit would be broken, they backed out because they thought it would set a bad example.....
Old 15 Aug 2009, 12:16 (Ref:2521823)   #34
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
If you are going to compete and have a serious assault on the series, surely you would attend all rounds?
Many teams/drivers will start the season knowing that they probably don't have the budget to last all year but hoping to pick up enough extra sponsorship along the way. That's not just at the lower end either, look at Plato for example. His first run in the RML Chevrolet was mostly paid out of his own pocket, had he not signed Silverline it's doubtful he would have even made a second meeting, let alone all the way to Knockhill.

Quote:
I can appreciate that doing a Scotland round is more expensive, but would people not factor that into competing when finalising a budget?
In Liam's case I'm sure he didn't factor in writing off his car at Thruxton, or having to deal with someone else's unpaid bills. Things don't always go as planned.

It might help if Knockhill was earlier in the year and before teams started to realise the coffers were running dry.
Old 15 Aug 2009, 13:08 (Ref:2521847)   #35
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Plato fastest in second practice, but Shedden's right behind him in the CWR Leon!

PosDriverNoTeamCarTime
1Jason Plato3Racing SilverlineChevrolet Lacetti54.184
2Gordon Shedden52Cartridge World RacingSEAT Leon54.187
3Matt Neal5VX RacingVauxhall Vectra54.438
4Jonathan Adam12Team AirwavesBMW 320si54.465
5Colin Turkington4Team RACBMW 320si54.469
6Fabrizio Giovanardi1VX RacingVauxhall Vectra54.669
7Mat Jackson2Racing SilverlineChevrolet Lacetti54.695
8James Thompson35Team DynamicsHonda Civic54.713
9Andrew Jordan77VX RacingVauxhall Vectra54.813
10Robert Collard11Team AirwavesBMW 320si54.831
11Tom Chilton10Team AonFord Focus ST55.050
12Harry Vaulkhard17Bamboo EngineeringChevrolet Lacetti55.157
13Paul O'Neill29TechspeedHonda Integra55.379
14David Pinkney55Team DynamicsHonda Civic55.637
15Martin Johnson63Boulevard Team RacingVauxhall Astra Coupe56.367
16John George50TH MotorsportHonda Integra56.893
17Stephen Jelley44Team RACBMW 320si58.721
Old 15 Aug 2009, 15:31 (Ref:2521890)   #36
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Some surprises near the front, Gio's got a lot of work to do.

After all the Thommo talk recently - he's pretty far down.

Grid for Race 1

1 - Jason Plato (3) - Racing Silverline - Chevrolet Lacetti - 53.370

2 - Gordon Shedden (52) - Cartridge World Racing - SEAT Leon - 53.443

3 - Jonathan Adam (12) - Team Airwaves - BMW 320si - 53.488

4 - Colin Turkington (4) - Team RAC - BMW 320si - 53.540

5 - Robert Collard (11) - Team Airwaves - BMW 320si - 53.596

6 - Mat Jackson (2) - Racing Silverline - Chevrolet Lacetti - 53.622

7 - Matt Neal (5) - VX Racing - Vauxhall Vectra - 53.626

8 - Andrew Jordan (77) - VX Racing - Vauxhall Vectra - 53.787

9 - Stephen Jelley (44) - Team RAC - BMW 320si - 53.826

10 - Paul O'Neill (29) - Techspeed - Honda Integra - 53.893

11 - Fabrizio Giovanardi (1) - VX Racing - Vauxhall Vectra - 53.924

12 - Tom Chilton (10) - Team Aon - Ford Focus ST - 53.933

13 - James Thompson (35) - Team Dynamics - Honda Civic - 54.103

14 - Harry Vaulkhard (17) - Bamboo Engineering - Chevrolet Lacetti - 54.309

15 - David Pinkney (55) - Team Dynamics - Honda Civic - 54.541

16 - John George (50) - TH Motorsport - Honda Integra - 54.896

17 - Martin Johnson (63) - Boulevard Team Racing - Vauxhall Astra Coupe - 55.002

Car Graphics Courtesy of Andy Blackmore Design | Spotter Guides

Last edited by Hazard; 15 Aug 2009 at 16:21.
Old 15 Aug 2009, 15:55 (Ref:2521902)   #37
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Wow, that's some grid. Did all 17 cars really all set the same time?
Old 15 Aug 2009, 16:01 (Ref:2521905)   #38
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
Wow, close times.
Old 15 Aug 2009, 16:15 (Ref:2521911)   #39
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
Wow, that's some grid. Did all 17 cars really all set the same time?
I know, mighty close.

But whoever sets it first gets the position - so Plato got it.

Alright, I'm BS-ing...tech issue! That is the pole time though.
Old 15 Aug 2009, 16:16 (Ref:2521912)   #40
werner
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam, the Netherlands
werner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwerner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazard View Post
Some surprises near the front, Gio's got a lot of work to do.

After all the Thommo talk recently - he's pretty far down.

Probably because I have been on holiday, I don't understand this. Can someone enlighten me?
Old 15 Aug 2009, 16:18 (Ref:2521914)   #41
redshoes
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazard View Post
I know, mighty close.
From the DTM thread it looks like it was just as close over at the Nurburgring as well. What are the chances of that happening twice in the same day
Old 15 Aug 2009, 16:23 (Ref:2521917)   #42
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
From the DTM thread it looks like it was just as close over at the Nurburgring as well. What are the chances of that happening twice in the same day
It's good to have beta testers for my new grid sheet. Thankfully one simple fix takes seconds now.

Sorted!
Old 15 Aug 2009, 16:23 (Ref:2521920)   #43
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by werner View Post
Probably because I have been on holiday, I don't understand this. Can someone enlighten me?
Refering to the Herbert joining Team Dynamics thread
Old 15 Aug 2009, 18:00 (Ref:2521956)   #44
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Three BMW's in the Top 5 could cause trouble at the start! Out of them all I would say Collard looked like he was pushing his car the most.

That Focus does sound beautiful though. It's criminal it's not more competitive.
Old 15 Aug 2009, 18:27 (Ref:2521967)   #45
adstubbs
Racer

United Kingdom
Glamorous Hemel Hempstead
adstubbs should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craner Curves View Post
the support races from Renault don't attend and the remaining TOCA regulars have fields in the mid teens.
Why do the Renault series not go to Knockhill? Is it on cost grounds?
Old 15 Aug 2009, 18:29 (Ref:2521969)   #46
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by adstubbs View Post
Yeah it is - though more from the promotional aspect.

Research has shown most scots are too tight to pay out for something as pricy as even a Renault. If they had a Dacia series...well!

Old 15 Aug 2009, 18:52 (Ref:2521978)   #47
redshoes
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by adstubbs View Post
They do the World Series by Renault event instead.
Old 15 Aug 2009, 19:57 (Ref:2522012)   #48
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
Up until a few years ago the Renault series did appear at Knockhill on their own weekend if I remember. They should be persuaded back if possible, if it wasn't for the Scottish Legends and Formula Fords this weekend the show would be very poor. The Ginetta G50 race today had 9 cars!
Old 16 Aug 2009, 06:26 (Ref:2522175)   #49
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Last time I was at Knockhill (2005)there were plenty of races! FBMW, F Renault, Clio Cup, Porsches.

Looks poor this year, especialy as there are no Formula Fords on the Sunday IIRC.
Old 16 Aug 2009, 06:31 (Ref:2522177)   #50
MikeH
Racer

Scotland
Perth
MikeH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickyf1 View Post
Last time I was at Knockhill (2005)there were plenty of races! FBMW, F Renault, Clio Cup, Porsches.

Looks poor this year, especialy as there are no Formula Fords on the Sunday IIRC.
There are.
#68 - 2009 SMRC Scottish Legends Championship.