Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 29 Nov 2004, 02:07 (Ref:1166682)   #26
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Dov should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hey gttouring, while the GP2 series will be officially known as the stepping stone to F1 as they will follow the 'circus' around the world next year, however, the Superfund car is quicker then both the GP2 and A1GP cars.
Old 29 Nov 2004, 02:49 (Ref:1166693)   #27
Brian W Keske
Racer

Brian W Keske should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mmmm..... after reading these posts, and assuming Champ Car is striving to eventually become more international in the future, and also that it seems to becoming a 'street fight' series rather than a true diverse historical mix of ovals/road/street circuits...

I have to wonder where Champ Car sees itself amongst these series; especially A1GP and GP2. And with the 3000's possibly running European ovals, it seems like it may be even tougher to find that unique niche'.

I know these cars may be 'underpowered' compared to the existing Champ Car model, but I also have to wonder why be 'more than' these cars if tight street circuits are to be the norm. It seems to me that a lighter, less powerful car would be all that is necessary, even preferred.

In addition, I have been reading on the American GT series forum (between drivers/participants, who are trying to sort out the future rules and regulations for that series), and it seems the overwhelming consensus among these drivers/teams is that a ‘spec’ regulation will eventually cost more for the participants vs. a ‘free market’ environment. In other words, for the money they may eventually spend on ‘spec’ equipment could be spent to build a less expensive but equal, (or better performing), car than the ‘spec’. This is from folks in the biz who have seen this happen for them selves in other series. In order to keep costs from escalating, certain ‘stock’ components are being discussed to be used, i.e. suspension parts, transmissions, etc. Now, I’m not talking about the stuff you buy from an auto parts store, but purchased from specialized race component manufacturers.

Last edited by Brian W Keske; 29 Nov 2004 at 02:51.
Old 29 Nov 2004, 03:35 (Ref:1166704)   #28
camcartfan
Racer

United States
Temeku
camcartfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Dov
Thanks to 'gpflepsen' from CCF/Crapwagon.

Sorry about the video quality, but if it bothers your eyes too much at least you can listen to it.

KK on WT
Thanks Dov! I missed the airing of KK on WT and now don't feel as uninformed as I did prior to watching that!
Old 29 Nov 2004, 04:19 (Ref:1166714)   #29
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Dov should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by camcartfan
Thanks Dov! I missed the airing of KK on WT and now don't feel as uninformed as I did prior to watching that!
Your welcome, camcartfan! Were you happy, suprised or disappointed at all by the interview? Imho, KK has both of his feet planted firmly on the ground and I have full confidence in him.

Last edited by Dov; 29 Nov 2004 at 04:20.
Old 29 Nov 2004, 12:28 (Ref:1166981)   #30
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
true about superfund-it seems like a Champcar Europe, racing with that power and on a few circuit types...
where does Champcar see it self? It isn't a stepping stone to F1, it never wanted to be (at least before it was mighty, and had the Indy 500 which ofcourse is no stepping stone race, neither are a few other venues in these cars RA, MidOH, Lagina, California, Michigan, LB, Mexico city, Surfers, Toronto, Vancouver....*tear*)
Champcar was the "F1 alternative" like the Prince to the FIA King. Is it still or because of the 2 princes alive now it just doesn't or can't be considered in such High regard...?
Old 29 Nov 2004, 19:38 (Ref:1167330)   #31
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This really is an interesting question. Can a spec series be anything more than a feeder series? And if Champcar becomes a spec series would drivers like Paul Tracy and Sebastian Boudais want to be in such a series? Champcar used to be a strong alternative place to be with a prestigious championship, multiple manufacturers and a wide range of racing disciplenes. Drivers wanted to be there. But that position has degraded somewhat.

In my opinion, it would be a bad move to select a chassi-engine combo from someone else's feeder series.
Old 29 Nov 2004, 20:23 (Ref:1167370)   #32
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't think Paul Tracy and Sebastian Bourdais would quit the series if it had a spec chassis.

It virtually does now.