Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 18 Nov 2010, 13:17 (Ref:2792602)   #26
brickkicker
Veteran

brickkicker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I had chance to do the driving part last year a few times, I guess I was lucky as we had a few trips out during the afternoon, only problem is you cant go as fast as you would like as you keep getting told to slow down and let them catch up.
I think its one of the things you either love or hate, from an observer point of view its a bit boring, from a driving point of view its a bit boring (until you get the shout )
Old 18 Nov 2010, 16:47 (Ref:2792726)   #27
Richard Duvall
Racer

England
Rochford
Richard Duvall should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Like The STIG, I have often wondered about safety car crewing but in my case I have held a race licence so would be interested in the driving. Does anyone know the definitive answer to whether a current licence is required or just recent experience? Also, I'd already worked out that the way in is to know someone who knows someone, but who do you need to know?
Old 18 Nov 2010, 17:23 (Ref:2792731)   #28
SWCRacing
Racer

SWCRacing has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
2010 Blue Book reg Q 4.9.4. Detailed regulations on their use are available
from the MSA and they must be fully complied with at
all times.

Refer to appendix 2 of Section Q of the 2010 Blue Book for the operation of the safety car. This is where it states that the driver must be an experienced circuit driver.

I believe it used to state that the driver should be a current licence holder or an experienced circuit driver in previous incarnations of the regs, but at the moment I cannot find thoase particular words
Old 18 Nov 2010, 17:31 (Ref:2792734)   #29
SWCRacing
Racer

SWCRacing has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Found it: Section G Officials, Duties of the Clerk of the Course, 2010 Blue Book

G 5.2.17.
Ensure that any driver of a Safety Car during a
Race (n.b. not including the driver of any car controlling
a formation lap), is a suitably experienced circuit driver
who should have or had previously held a Competition
Licence (Q.4.9.1).

Old 18 Nov 2010, 18:30 (Ref:2792763)   #30
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Many years ago I did a stint as SC Observer (with Jasperclan driving) at the Birkett Relay......then wasn't allowed to do another session as I didn't have a Race licence.....not sure if rules have changed, or if whoever was in charge at the time didn't know the rules.....
Old 18 Nov 2010, 18:36 (Ref:2792767)   #31
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Duvall View Post
Like The STIG, I have often wondered about safety car crewing but in my case I have held a race licence so would be interested in the driving. Does anyone know the definitive answer to whether a current licence is required or just recent experience? Also, I'd already worked out that the way in is to know someone who knows someone, but who do you need to know?
It's like the Masons, shrouded in secrecy and if we told you we'd have to make you roll your left trouser leg up and bear your left breast.

Bo
Old 18 Nov 2010, 19:01 (Ref:2792784)   #32
Richard Duvall
Racer

England
Rochford
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
It's like the Masons, shrouded in secrecy and if we told you we'd have to make you roll your left trouser leg up and bear your left breast.

Bo
No problem; that's my usual attire when marshalling!
Old 19 Nov 2010, 07:47 (Ref:2792990)   #33
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And mine.......................
Old 21 Nov 2010, 18:43 (Ref:2793911)   #34
The STIG
Veteran

United Kingdom
Too far from home
The STIG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Duvall View Post
Like The STIG, I have often wondered about safety car crewing but in my case I have held a race licence so would be interested in the driving.
Maybe we should team up?

Seriously though, it looks like this idea will just have to be filed under "Crazy" because it seems ludicrously difficult to get into it. Thanks for the answers guys.
Old 21 Nov 2010, 19:34 (Ref:2793927)   #35
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The STIG View Post
Maybe we should team up?

Seriously though, it looks like this idea will just have to be filed under "Crazy" because it seems ludicrously difficult to get into it. Thanks for the answers guys.
Not crazy at all, talk to the guys who run races at Pembrey or wherever you go regularly and let them know that you are interested. It might get you somewhere, not even bothering will only have one outcome! Go for it...
Old 21 Nov 2010, 21:17 (Ref:2793960)   #36
dave vass
Racer

England
Kidderminster
dave vass should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Iwas invited to observe in the safety car for the WHT four years ago. The novelty value was great - being driven round by Whizzo, Rob Barf and Jamie McIntyre was fun, as was 'winning' the final in front of Peter Dempsey as dusk decended!
I wouldn't jump at it again however, because all the hanging around insitue, not being able to see hardly anything, is generally pretty boring. Listening to anecdotes from Whizzo's past was the best part of the weekend for me!
Old 21 Nov 2010, 22:35 (Ref:2793998)   #37
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Clerk View Post
I've done it a few times - mainly Britcar 24 hours, like Jim I didn't find it particularly exciting. What I do like doing is driving the car at the front of a rolling start race. At the Classic @ Silverstone a few years ago I was driving a Aston Martin Vanquish, I was braking for Stowe at around 155 mph and had my mirrors full of a big orange Mclaren M8............awesome

Hmmmmm! I'll forget I read this Dave,it might give me ideas for either the M3 or Porsche.
Old 22 Nov 2010, 20:34 (Ref:2794427)   #38
Terry Scannell
Veteran

United Kingdom
North Walsham, Norfolk
Terry Scannell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower View Post
Hmmmmm! I'll forget I read this Dave,it might give me ideas for either the M3 or Porsche.
So you better Mr. Bower!!

Anyway there will soon be several more bends to negotiate at a certain circuit next year when we will be making you work harder at keeping the pack together!!

Rolling starts are just that - not racing speed laps before the start as you well know!! ...........and we need to look after the M3!!

Look forward to seeing you in the New Year Terry!!
Old 23 Nov 2010, 08:15 (Ref:2794597)   #39
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Scannell View Post
So you better Mr. Bower!!

Anyway there will soon be several more bends to negotiate at a certain circuit next year when we will be making you work harder at keeping the pack together!!

Rolling starts are just that - not racing speed laps before the start as you well know!! ...........and we need to look after the M3!!

Look forward to seeing you in the New Year Terry!!
I should think it will prove harder Terry,its hard enough when you get to to the Esse's and theres a stragler just coming out of Sear,you then have stop,get out,have a walk around,and hopefullyhe'll have caught up! Difficult to keep up on a 45mph lap?,should have bought a V8.
It look's highly likely I'll have a little practice in April,so hopefully,I'll get my next session right.
Looking forward to it working with you next year Terry,you ordered the Sun yet?
Old 23 Nov 2010, 09:24 (Ref:2794619)   #40
Joyce George
Veteran

England
South Lincolnshire
Joyce George should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We are also looking forward to the new Snetterton layout - however with the lack of handling on the Jag (think soggy blancmange!) I think the new Sear hairpin could be ............ Interesting!! Looking forward to working with you again also Terry!
Old 23 Nov 2010, 22:25 (Ref:2794920)   #41
Terry Scannell
Veteran

United Kingdom
North Walsham, Norfolk
Terry Scannell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower View Post
It look's highly likely I'll have a little practice in April,so hopefully,I'll get my next session right.
Looking forward to it working with you next year Terry,you ordered the Sun yet?
Terry, would I let you down?? Sun definately ordered for the 30th April and for the 11th / 12th June at least so far!!

I trust you already have these dates etched in Bold in your diary for some driving duties?? At least you will have the benefit of using the air con switch while the rest of us will just soak up and enjoy the heat of the day!!

Yes Joyce, looking forward to 9th / 10th April too (just waiting for the return of the Sun request for this weekend but sure it will be nice and hot too!!) and working with Brian and yourself again. In addition to your concern about Sear I think Brian will find the new Coram / Russell section enjoyable too!!
Old 24 Nov 2010, 09:37 (Ref:2795077)   #42
Richard Duvall
Racer

England
Rochford
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piglet View Post
Not crazy at all, talk to the guys who run races at Pembrey or wherever you go regularly and let them know that you are interested. It might get you somewhere, not even bothering will only have one outcome! Go for it...
Thanks for the advice! I do most of my marshalling at Brands Hatch so am looking for a contact there.........
Old 24 Nov 2010, 16:52 (Ref:2795288)   #43
haystacks
Veteran

England
Sittingbourne Kent
haystacks should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
richard, try Dave Scott or Mildred, they should point you in the right direction.
Old 24 Nov 2010, 17:51 (Ref:2795310)   #44
The STIG
Veteran

United Kingdom
Too far from home
The STIG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piglet View Post
Pembrey doesn't often have a safety car, but nonetheless I shall ask them and see where we can get.