Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 14 Apr 2012, 16:25 (Ref:3059006)   #26
Tja
Racer

Tja should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by slummingangel View Post
isn't ballast meant to make it harder to win but not make it impossible.
It is. If I remember correctly, Turkington always managed to qualify very well in 2009 despite carrying maximum ballast for most of the season. It's harder, but not impossible.
I also find it quite amusing to see who's fastest in the sector 1 speed trap. Also in the other two speed traps, Plato is neither fastest nor a lot quicker than the Hondas (0,3mph faster than Smith in Sector 2, roughly 1mph faster than Neal in Sector 2 & across the finish line). Yes, maybe the boost settings aren't perfect yet, however it's not like on particular driver has been favoured over all the other drivers!
Old 14 Apr 2012, 16:25 (Ref:3059007)   #27
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
The main one seemingly the fact that they're 12 seconds off the back of the grid....
Old 14 Apr 2012, 16:52 (Ref:3059022)   #28
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by slummingangel View Post
isn't ballast meant to make it harder to win but not make it impossible.
Yes. The addition of ballast has a greater effect in the race than in qualifying. While 45Kg should be 3 tenths or so a lap slower, it will cause the tyres to wear faster and the car will be further off the pace towards the end of the race... when the flag comes down (!)
Old 14 Apr 2012, 16:56 (Ref:3059024)   #29
GolddustMini
Veteran

GolddustMini should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
The main one seemingly the fact that they're 12 seconds off the back of the grid....
i think he was doing 1min 16s in morning practice
Old 14 Apr 2012, 17:03 (Ref:3059027)   #30
trebor901
Racer

trebor901 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mig View Post
Are all the cars running the same boost and if not why not.Surely if one engine builder builds a better package then the others then they should pull their fingers out. i think once you start limiting boost for one but not anoter it becomes a can of worms.
no they're not because if they were the Hondas would walk away with it, but what i dont agree with is that they dont really seem to be handling it well.
Old 14 Apr 2012, 17:10 (Ref:3059032)   #31
BillWiskins
Racer

European Union
Brighton
BillWiskins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor901 View Post
no they're not because if they were the Hondas would walk away with it, but what i dont agree with is that they dont really seem to be handling it well.
I wonder if we've really seen enough evidence for another parity argument just yet.
Old 14 Apr 2012, 17:38 (Ref:3059046)   #32
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillWiskins View Post
I wonder if we've really seen enough evidence for another parity argument just yet.
Not yet... but while there's the concept of parity equalization you're guaranteed to get somebody whinging about it. Last season it was Jason Plato and RML... this year it might well be the Honda teams.
Old 14 Apr 2012, 17:45 (Ref:3059049)   #33
BtccLee
Veteran

BtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I do find it amusing how last year Plato was moaning about boost but apparently this year Honda are making a valid statement about it. This seem a bit two faced.
Old 14 Apr 2012, 18:05 (Ref:3059060)   #34
medius
Veteran

England
Media Office hiding from the rain
medius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmedius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Plato did make a valid statement.....the first time he made it. It became moaning because every single piece to camera was mentioning it and because of his profile and success (was it more poles or wins than most? I've forgotten), he appeared in front of the camera a lot.

Fair play, that was his view and he was entitled to make it, same way Honda and anyone else unhappy with the parity will be entitled. I don't think anything can be/should be changed because of the changeable weather we had, but TOCA can and have changed boost levels mid-meeting, between races.
Old 14 Apr 2012, 21:20 (Ref:3059138)   #35
BtccLee
Veteran

BtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Most guided post of the night.
Old 14 Apr 2012, 21:37 (Ref:3059141)   #36
codename_47
Veteran

United Kingdom
Coventry/Birmingham
codename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcodename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by medius View Post
Plato did make a valid statement.....the first time he made it. It became moaning because every single piece to camera was mentioning it and because of his profile and success (was it more poles or wins than most? I've forgotten), he appeared in front of the camera a lot.

Fair play, that was his view and he was entitled to make it, same way Honda and anyone else unhappy with the parity will be entitled. I don't think anything can be/should be changed because of the changeable weather we had, but TOCA can and have changed boost levels mid-meeting, between races.
Especially after he managed to moan after WINNING a race, never seen unsportsmanship like it (well, maybe Kyle Busch smashing his winning guitar trophy in a really classless move)

It was fine for Plato to have a straightline advantage when he was driving the Turbo Diesel but as soon as he wasn't in the top car, whining ahoyyyy!

That's what was the most frustrating thing about it, the hypocrisy.
He wanted the car advantage he'd enjoyed the previous year and couldn't take that he hadn't got it.

This year? Well it's probably too early to tell yet but if there's even a hint of Plato having a car advantage I hope Gow comes down as hard on him as he did the Hondas last year (working hard for car superiority isn't an issue in this series apparently, not based on them pegging back the Hondas every time Jason whined last year anyway-a precedent was set)
Old 14 Apr 2012, 21:56 (Ref:3059154)   #37
BtccLee
Veteran

Least guided tripe of the night...
Old 14 Apr 2012, 22:16 (Ref:3059162)   #38
barnettracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dorset
barnettracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BtccLee View Post
Least guided tripe of the night...
What, you thought that Plato was right to tell the press that the Honda's straightline speed was unfair. Just after he won a race. Under normal (non-reversed grid) conditions. I'm with codename_47. It was completely crass. It was an interesting take on the term 'sore winner'.
Old 14 Apr 2012, 22:19 (Ref:3059163)   #39
BtccLee
Veteran

Was this race 3 at Brands?

If so, do you think Jason is just trying to rile the forum fanatics?
Old 14 Apr 2012, 22:24 (Ref:3059165)   #40
thlbtcc
Veteran

thlbtcc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
Welcome to the mad and crazy world of spectating! Yes Donington has fences but it also has an awful lot of banking which gets you above it. My personal favourite place is on the outfield above the Old Hairpin. You can see the cars from Redgate through to Schwantz. Opposite there on the infield you can see from Hollywood to McLeans. With a long lens you should get some decent shots from either.

If you walk a bit further round the outside to McLeans you can see the cars head on as they charge down to the Old Hairpin and then up towards you.

If you don't have too long a lens then along the inside of the start/finish straight is pretty close to the action from the Esses to Redgate.

Get there early and have a walk round :-)
Thanks very much, looking forward to it!
Old 14 Apr 2012, 22:26 (Ref:3059167)   #41
barnettracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dorset
Quote:
Originally Posted by BtccLee View Post
Was this race 3 at Brands?

If so, do you think Jason is just trying to rile the forum fanatics?
I can't remember. It was last year at Brands Hatch. He won in the RML Cruze S2000, fairly convincingly and then said that the current state of affairs was 'ridiculous' (or words to that effect). Never have I seen a winner take victory so gracelessly.

I don't know. I'm sure he certainly likes to court controversy as it gets his name (and all the brands he is associated with) into the headlines. All publicity is good publicity in Mr Plato's book.
Old 14 Apr 2012, 22:35 (Ref:3059172)   #42
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Anyway has anyone seen the speed trap figures from qualifying. Here's a tip the MG is not at the top of any!
Old 14 Apr 2012, 23:24 (Ref:3059182)   #43
codename_47
Veteran

United Kingdom
Coventry/Birmingham
codename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcodename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnettracing View Post
I can't remember. It was last year at Brands Hatch. He won in the RML Cruze S2000, fairly convincingly and then said that the current state of affairs was 'ridiculous' (or words to that effect). Never have I seen a winner take victory so gracelessly.

I don't know. I'm sure he certainly likes to court controversy as it gets his name (and all the brands he is associated with) into the headlines. All publicity is good publicity in Mr Plato's book.
Actually it was Race 2 at Oulton, right after the Hondas did their little oopsy

Never seen a winner with less class...ever...

And no, I don't think Plato wastes his time giving two figs what anyone posting on a forum thinks (maybe those sycophants on the official forum which is pretty much a Plato fan club for some strange reason), so no, I don't believe he'd try to play any ludicrous games such as that.
Old 14 Apr 2012, 23:40 (Ref:3059189)   #44
barnettracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dorset
Quote:
Originally Posted by codename_47 View Post
Actually it was Race 2 at Oulton, right after the Hondas did their little oopsy
Just shows how much I was paying attention. I'll blame it on the time of night .
Old 15 Apr 2012, 10:36 (Ref:3059399)   #45
Tom Bee
Racer

United Kingdom
Knickerbrook
Tom Bee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If TOCA did try to slow the MG down it will be very intresting to here JP's opinion.
Old 15 Apr 2012, 10:55 (Ref:3059415)   #46
trebor901
Racer

trebor901 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does anyone know why Jackson always runs with his wipers up at the drivers side?
Old 15 Apr 2012, 11:08 (Ref:3059424)   #47
codename_47
Veteran

United Kingdom
Coventry/Birmingham
Well after a nice clean race one filled with plenty of overtaking, I think those in the other thread can kindly eat their words
Old 15 Apr 2012, 11:29 (Ref:3059449)   #48
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor901 View Post
Does anyone know why Jackson always runs with his wipers up at the drivers side?
Looked like all the Motorbase cars had the wipers up. Good race though- the field did get very strung out (did highlight the relative lack of depth of this year), but decent racing and passing.
Old 15 Apr 2012, 11:50 (Ref:3059465)   #49
Thaw Daggerslash
Racer

Thaw Daggerslash should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just a question...what happened in the Ginetta junior race yesterday? Commentators keep mentioning it, but they've not explained what happened...
Old 15 Apr 2012, 11:52 (Ref:3059466)   #50
codename_47
Veteran

United Kingdom
Coventry/Birmingham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaw Daggerslash View Post
Just a question...what happened in the Ginetta junior race yesterday? Commentators keep mentioning it, but they've not explained what happened...
5 Car pile up apparently....you'd think with all the continual references to it they'd explain it better though.

Also with the cameras there now for BTCC qualifying I thought they were left on to film the Saturday races for Motorsport UK? They could splice in the footage if they wanted?