Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 28 May 2001, 17:51 (Ref:97917)   #26
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Endless possibilities...

He could be

1. An enemy of Tom Walkinshaw
2. Bribed by McLaren
3. A fan of DC

etc.

But seriously, it puzzles me too :confused:
Old 28 May 2001, 18:36 (Ref:97939)   #27
Speed
Veteran

Panama
Panama, Rep. of Panama
Speed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Check this Jersound... (I get your point, I'm confused too)

During Practice
Stationary: A faster car is catching you. Give way.
Waved: A faster car is about to overtake you. Give way
urgently.

During the Race
Stationary: You are about to be lapped. Let the other car
through.
Waved: Let the other car through immediately. You are now
risking a penalty.

(The International Sporting Code states that a blue flag may
be used to allow a faster car to overtake for position. However,
its use in races appears to be almost exclusively limited to
situations where a driver is being lapped
).

I think you have to ask Bernie or Max !!!. Well, maybe Bernie is available at this moment, because Uncle Max is busy with a Vertical Impact stuff...
Old 29 May 2001, 00:18 (Ref:98092)   #28
francis
Rookie

francis should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Speed

During the Race
through.
risking a penalty.

I think the point is that the waved flag (during a race) only comes after a stationary flag so it only relates to a lapping situation.

I really don't believe there is a way in which the marshalls can signal a driver to give way in a racing situation.

If there is - I'm stopping watching right this minute!
Old 29 May 2001, 03:12 (Ref:98143)   #29
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Thank you Speed and Francis..So the fact that Bernoldi was NOT being lapped by DC means that the Marshall was incorrect in showing him a waving blue flag..Or do I have brain fade here LOL

Verdict..Marshall had consumed too much vino!
Old 29 May 2001, 05:37 (Ref:98168)   #30
Don K
Veteran

Don K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally posted by Speed
Check this Jersound... (I get your point, I'm confused too)

During Practice
Stationary: A faster car is catching you. Give way.
Waved: A faster car is about to overtake you. Give way
urgently.

During the Race
through.
risking a penalty.

(The International Sporting Code states that a blue flag may
be used to allow a faster car to overtake for position. However,
its use in races appears to be almost exclusively limited to
situations where a driver is being lapped
).

I think you have to ask Bernie or Max !!!. Well, maybe Bernie is available at this moment, because Uncle Max is busy with a Vertical Impact stuff...
Blue flags were used to allow Panis to overtake for position, in the race he won at Monaco.

Don K.
Old 29 May 2001, 11:50 (Ref:98291)   #31
Marshal
Veteran

Marshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMarshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Jersound
Two points I would like to make here

The marshalls at Monaco are considered to be the "best trained" in the biz..Fact or fiction?

Fiction - Monaco Marshals are well trained and brave, but they are drawn from all over Europe, so "Monaco Marshals" are really no different to anywhere else in europe.

A blue flag means " driver move over" faster car waiting to overtake... Fact or fiction?

Then why in heavens name would a well trained marshall wave a BLUE flag that has no meaning? and is not taken seriously

I am interested in learning something here
The flags have been well enough defined above so I'll skip over that, as for showinfg the blue, he obviously thought it was the right thing to do, personally I thought he was wrong. By the fact he stopped I guess the race director agreed.

Incidentally, in reply to Don K's point, lots of things have changed in Marshalling terms at GP's since '97. No longer are individual marshals allowed to make their own judgements about when to wave a blue during the race, now you are expected to follow the instructuions you recieve over the radio. this wasn't the case in '97 when some of the French marshals at Monaco may have favoured Olivier.

One final point, I was watching the guys doing a brilliant job moving Frenzens car and wondered if I'd be as happy to do that kind of work, if all the warning a driver got was a light on his dashboard, which you have no guarantee that its worked properly. Just a thought.
Old 29 May 2001, 13:28 (Ref:98339)   #32
Speed
Veteran

Panama
Panama, Rep. of Panama
Speed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Jersound
Verdict..Marshall had consumed too much vino!
Old 29 May 2001, 23:30 (Ref:98568)   #33
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Quote:
Originally posted by Marshal

One final point, I was watching the guys doing a brilliant job moving Frenzens car and wondered if I'd be as happy to do that kind of work, if all the warning a driver got was a light on his dashboard, which you have no guarantee that its worked properly. Just a thought.
Look!! Marshals are only human, and they may make mistakes, just like anyone else. I want to support Marshal's opinion of the superb job the marshals did at Monaco. I was amazed that the safety car was not brought out before the marshals jumped the armco and worked on HHF's car. That was courageous in the extreme. You guys may say the marshals made a mistake, and that's ok. But please give the marshals credit for their courage at Monaco.
Old 29 May 2001, 23:47 (Ref:98573)   #34
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Sorry..I was only joking! Valve

The Marshals at Monaco are extremely brave gentleman that do an amazing job under difficult and very dangerous circumstances..I too was holding my breath when Frenzen crashed before the swimming pool..The speed that they cleared away Nick Heidfeld's accident was something else..I still think that the Marshall who was showing Bernoldi the Blue flag was not doing so because he had nothing else to do..We have not heard the last of this issue..
Old 30 May 2001, 05:27 (Ref:98643)   #35
Neil C
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Nations
People's Republic of Ann Arbor, Michigan
Neil C should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by francis
I really don't believe there is a way in which the marshalls can signal a driver to give way in a racing situation. [/B]
Yes, there is. It's called a black flag.

I've no experience in F1 levels of racing, but at the club level, you are shown a stationary blue flag if there is a car close behind you, especially if it is overtaking you. You are under no obligation to give way. If, however, you are deemed to be holding back another driver, the flag will be waved at you. If it is felt you are blocking another, the blue turns black, and you are in for an unscheduled pit stop and a scolding.

The point is that a blue flag may be used to inform a driver of another's presence, not necessarily to compel him to yield.
Old 30 May 2001, 22:40 (Ref:99071)   #36
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
So anyway he was right, right ?