Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Overdrive BTCC Diecast Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 21 Aug 2003, 12:23 (Ref:694324)   #26
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
FWD is **** in the rain BTW, dunno bout anything else

Massive understeer, a turning circle the size of the universe
Old 21 Aug 2003, 21:48 (Ref:694882)   #27
skid marques
Rookie

skid marques should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The thing I don't like about the Elise is the bodyshell. Has anyone produced alternatives, such as a Panoz, that would enclose the mechanicals but look a shade more realistic? Is there such a lot of suspension travel so that a lumpy bodyshell has to be fitted? It seems to me that the smaller the scale of an RC car the more accurate, unless you go for 1/5th when they suddenly get accurate, expensive and underpowered.
Old 22 Aug 2003, 12:25 (Ref:695543)   #28
Hobson
Veteran

England
Notts, UK
Hobson should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHobson should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Pirenzo, was it an outdoor track in Hillingdon, West London?
Back when the Tamiya Mini class raced in the UK Eurocup, everyone ran Rwd. As soon as the heavens opened, the swapped to Fwd.

Skid, There is the ProMax 1/6 range, they have a 206 WRC, Subaru WRc and Renault Clio V6, but they don't completely fit, with the wheels sticking out. There is quite a bit of roll and travel when using the standard springs, but thats fixed with the spings from my Mission, which are very hard.
And we have to use that body for the championship, as its supported by Lotus. The winner gets a day out at Rockingham playing with Elises.

1/5 underpowered? I've driven my mates one and its a real eyeopener! Definatly too much power for the chassis to cope. It was an FG Eco-line Honda Accord, and it was great fun sliding around as the track was a bit damp. They are expensive initally, but the running cost are minimal. I spend more on my Mission in a year than my mate does with his FG. His biggest expense is fuel at 76p a litre where we are.
Old 22 Aug 2003, 14:54 (Ref:695696)   #29
Hobson
Veteran

England
Notts, UK
Hobson should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHobson should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

This is a Big 6 chassis.
Old 22 Aug 2003, 15:30 (Ref:695720)   #30
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Hobson
Pirenzo, was it an outdoor track in Hillingdon, West London?
No, it was at Crystal Palace.

It's only a small club, but they still don't like you using it.
It's actually on the back straight of the old car track there.

Last edited by pirenzo; 22 Aug 2003 at 15:30.
Old 22 Aug 2003, 16:42 (Ref:695775)   #31
skid marques
Rookie

Thanks for that, Hobson. I'll look out some more 1/5th models as they look that bit more realistic. Luckily there's some airfield peri track I could use to run something like that- unfortunately no RC tracks within hours of home!
Old 26 Aug 2003, 15:26 (Ref:699595)   #32
Hobson
Veteran

England
Notts, UK
I've heard of Crystal Palace, they seem to run 1/8th Nitro cars nowadays Pirenzo.

Skid, where are you at? I may be able to put you in touch with some clubs, you never know!
Old 26 Aug 2003, 16:05 (Ref:699632)   #33
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Well recently i've seen some nice little cars down there (probably 1/8, but it looked smaller) There's this guy that builds these incredibly fast, high pitch sounding cars, with bodies like early 70's Le Mans cars (ie, Ferrari 512M, Porsche 917 etc)
Old 26 Aug 2003, 19:09 (Ref:699854)   #34
skid marques
Rookie

Hobson
I live on the Isle of Man. We have a 37+ mile course a mile from home, but I don't think I could use it. Most RC nitro modellers are into buggies, rather than circuit cars. Plenty of circuit electric users but they don't need much space. I'd try to generate interest in a nitro club if I knew anyone who had them- a post card in the model shop didn't produce any results.
Dave
Old 27 Aug 2003, 10:50 (Ref:700489)   #35
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
I got some pics of my Mini. Sorry they're not very good, they're taken on a cruddy camera, and for some reason, i took the pictures while it was sitting on my bed. Given there's a perfectly good table right next to it...
Anyway #1
Old 27 Aug 2003, 10:51 (Ref:700491)   #36
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
é, numero due.
Old 27 Aug 2003, 14:51 (Ref:700745)   #37
Hobson
Veteran

England
Notts, UK
Nice Mini Pirenzo. Those Porsche 917's sound like 1/8 IC circuit, and yes they are VERY fast!

Skid, do you know of the Isle of Wight R/C car club?
http://www.iow-rc-club.co.uk/
Old 27 Aug 2003, 15:09 (Ref:700762)   #38
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Last time i saw one of them, it sounded like it was shifting gear! Can you get RC cars with gearboxes? This one sounded like only 2-speed.
Old 28 Aug 2003, 09:40 (Ref:701559)   #39
Hobson
Veteran

England
Notts, UK
Yep, my Nitro Tamiya TG10 has a 2 speed gearbox. Its just like a real car, except the clutch engages by itself at a pre-selected point. You can even get a 1/10 Nitro with a 3speed box, and has the ability to do 80mph!
Old 28 Aug 2003, 10:18 (Ref:701586)   #40
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK

This guy was only using it on the front and back straights, for the most part he was in low gear.

Out of interest, what length track do the faster cars usually run on? The Crystal Palace track is curled up in an area about 10m across and 20m long, so i'd hazard a guess at about 100m long for the track, maximum.
Old 28 Aug 2003, 10:32 (Ref:701601)   #41
skid marques
Rookie

Thanks Hobson, but the Isle of Wight is 250 miles away!
The Elise looks a lot simpler to work on than the Serpent Veeteq (spelling?) that a mate has just bought. Forever fiddling with the thing to get it to change up.
Old 29 Aug 2003, 10:35 (Ref:702501)   #42
Hobson
Veteran

England
Notts, UK
Quote:
Originally posted by skid marques
Thanks Hobson, but the Isle of Wight is 250 miles away!
Whoops...........wheres my glasses!

http://www.brca.org/tg_new.htm has a list of UK clubs, maybe you cn find a closer one?
The Serpent Veteq is a nice bit of kit, but a bit over engineered for my liking. I'd get lost in the setup of it!
I use this modelshop online, www.modelsportuk.com as they have pretty cheap prices. Check out the Elise, I think its £110 in kit form.

Pirenzo, They are usually set to give torque in the 1st gear, then top-end revs in the 2nd gear with an adjustable change point. I think Crystal palace is a small track for 1/8 IC boys (like Skids friend with a Veteq), but would be fine for 1/10 electric touring cars.

At West London Racing Centre (www.wlrc.co.uk ), I think the racing line is about 250-something metres on its touring car layout, so 1/8 IC would be closer to 300m+.
Old 30 Aug 2003, 10:06 (Ref:703259)   #43
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Well, i was flat out all the way round in my Mini.

That's 1/10 with electric motor....
Old 31 Aug 2003, 11:19 (Ref:703937)   #44
Hobson
Veteran

England
Notts, UK
I've just arranged to swap my Mini for something a little faster......... a carbon fibre and alloy 4wd Mini!
Old 31 Aug 2003, 14:34 (Ref:704017)   #45
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Nice!
Old 1 Sep 2003, 10:06 (Ref:704665)   #46
Hobson
Veteran

England
Notts, UK
Now it means I've got quite a bit of work to do this week........... get the 4wd Mini race-ready, fix the Mission, cos I broke the rear drive belt last Friday, paint up a Volvo S40 body for a friend, build a Tamiya kit for my cousin's birthday on Wednesday, AND get the Big 6 Elise race-ready, because its the next round of the Schumacher BTCC on Sunday at Milton Keynes.

I need to do very well to keep my championship hopes up.

Oh bugger!

Last edited by Hobson; 1 Sep 2003 at 10:07.
Old 2 Sep 2003, 14:45 (Ref:705740)   #47
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
They had a big looking Porsche 911 on the Palace track yesterday, i'd estimate it was 1/6.
Old 4 Sep 2003, 14:00 (Ref:708108)   #48
Hobson
Veteran

England
Notts, UK
I think theres a champioship for 1/6 cars coming to Crystal Palace sometime in the near future (I'll find details) - and 911s are allowed. Maybe you saw a test?
Old 4 Sep 2003, 16:57 (Ref:708215)   #49
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Possibly, there was definitely more activity than usual (usual being one or two cars)

Not as fast as the cars i mentioned above though, it just looked plain too heavy.
Old 6 Sep 2003, 17:54 (Ref:710227)   #50
Hobson
Veteran

England
Notts, UK
Yep, the weight saps speed.

I got that 4wd Mini last night, and ran it for the first time today. B***dy quick! Awesome grip and bags of acceleration!

i've got a blue and white Mini body on it at the moment, but I'm going to drill up that white/orange/grey one soon, along with another body I've aquired.........a Saab 99 Turbo!