Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 6 Jul 2007, 07:32 (Ref:1955807)   #26
Fletcher
Rookie

Finland
Fletcher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schummy
Wurz has been "slow" (comparing to Rosberg) not only in qualification but races as well.

Here are the gaps counting the 25% of best laps in each GP so far:

+1.04 +0.37 +0.41 +++ -0.02 +1.33 +0.60 +0.45

(+++ means Rosberg "won" because Wurz crashed early)

As can be seen, the gaps have been typically around half a second (or more). In fact this pair has the bigger gap among all the teams. Apparently, in qualifying or in fast race laps, Wurz don't have the speed to match Rosberg.
The problem with this kind of comparison is that it doesn't take different tactics into consideration. Because of his weak qualifying performances Alex often has to choose a more compromised race tactics, which of course contributes to the big gap they have. In USA, Canada and Monaco he made only one pit stop while Rosberg stopped (or was supposed to stop) twice. Nico has of course been faster, but the statistics flatter him.

AFAIK Kovalainen's contract is for this year only (although I'd imagine there's an option involved), but so is Fizzy's. There seems to be a new Piquet rumor or comment circulating every race weekend and more often than not they've been false. As was already mentioned this one would be particularly odd if he really is in Renault's 2008 plans.

I hope Wurz will see out the season as I think he should have a fair chance to prove himself.
Old 6 Jul 2007, 07:38 (Ref:1955812)   #27
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I dont really think Piquet is that good to b honest, yes he has pace but he reminds me too much of Pizzonia, fast one minute and mediocre the next really.

He is well backed and Senior will be pushing very hard to get him in but I think it will be a retrograde step for Williams, the team need stability and Rosberg also looks highly likely to jump to maybe Toyota next year so maybe Wurz is the man that could piece the transition over, he is a superb test driver, possibly the best ever.
Old 6 Jul 2007, 08:57 (Ref:1955883)   #28
georgeboi999
Racer

Ghana
Barnsley, UK
georgeboi999 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I though Piquet might go to STR not Willams because their sister team user a Renault.
Old 6 Jul 2007, 12:59 (Ref:1956137)   #29
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeboi999
I though Piquet might go to STR not Willams because their sister team user a Renault.
Then he might clash with Bruno Senna... rivalry again?
Old 6 Jul 2007, 13:26 (Ref:1956164)   #30
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Ouch... He won't go anywhere I believe, and let's forget about rivalries...
Old 6 Jul 2007, 14:00 (Ref:1956209)   #31
Schummy
Subscriber
Veteran

Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher
The problem with this kind of comparison is that it doesn't take different tactics into consideration. Because of his weak qualifying performances Alex often has to choose a more compromised race tactics, which of course contributes to the big gap they have. In USA, Canada and Monaco he made only one pit stop while Rosberg stopped (or was supposed to stop) twice. Nico has of course been faster, but the statistics flatter him.
Those stats are about the best 25% of laps so even if a driver has a different strategy he still has a number of light laps to achieve results. An interesting thing is Wurz is clearly worse than Rosberg in his fastest lap, his second fastest lap, etc... No even traffic can consistently be argued for that (look Alonso in France, traffic but faster fastest lap than LH).

With light fuel at the end of the stints or with soft tyres he doesn't seem to be able to do relatively close times respect Nico. Let's face it: he is not "very" fast
Old 6 Jul 2007, 15:26 (Ref:1956291)   #32
Fletcher
Rookie

Finland
Fletcher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schummy
Those stats are about the best 25% of laps so even if a driver has a different strategy he still has a number of light laps to achieve results. An interesting thing is Wurz is clearly worse than Rosberg in his fastest lap, his second fastest lap, etc... No even traffic can consistently be argued for that (look Alonso in France, traffic but faster fastest lap than LH).
I can read A number of light laps yes, but the tyres will be in worse condition when the car is lighter.
Old 6 Jul 2007, 18:47 (Ref:1956473)   #33
mp356a
Veteran

United States
SE PA USA
mp356a should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I recall Sir Frank saying that Wurz was quite good but Rosberg was just incredible. If Williams does not improve, I cannot see wasting Nico at that team for another season. But I digress.........
Perhaps Wurz is just destined to go the way of Badoer?
Old 6 Jul 2007, 18:55 (Ref:1956480)   #34
Schummy
Subscriber
Veteran

Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!
Number of pitstops in each race for Rosberg and Wurz. In 4 races they have had the same "strategy": 4-0 for Nico and average gap of about half a second (0.46s). Averages made with 25% best laps.
Code:
GP   NR AW Gap
AUS  2  1  +1.04
MAL  2  2  +0.37 <--
BAH  2  2  +0.41 <--
SPA  2  -  +++
MON  2  1  -0.02
CAN  3  1  +1.33
USA  1  1  +0.60 <--
FRA  2  2  +0.45 <--
So, with the same number of stops, Alex is clearly slower. The gap (in this conditions) is still the biggest between team mates this season.