Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 7 Sep 2009, 08:31 (Ref:2535683)   #26
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icebaby View Post
I think 888 are simply open to optiona next year, if they sell the cars at a good price it allows them to look at the market with cash in the bank,if drivers come along and pay for 888 to run the car then thats not bad either.
What would they expect to get for each Vectra - GBP150K ? That's less than GBP500K for the three... that kind of cash would barely touch the sides for an organization like 888.

In my opinion, they would only sell the Vectras if they were not planning to run them next year. Building new Vectras [a model that's now obsolete let's not forget] at the same or greater cost to what they're selling their current stock makes no sense at all.

My gut feeling is that they've signed a deal with Kia or they're running the Volvos. If the latter, I can't wait for the 2010 season... those cars sound absolutely fantastic.
Old 7 Sep 2009, 09:16 (Ref:2535717)   #27
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
If you win everyone will just say you were racing against under-funded, under-prepared privateers who had no hope of winning.

If you lose everyone will say that you were beaten to under-funded, under-prepared privateers that you should have crushed.

From a PR point of view it's a no-win situation.
I am not so sure about that. Of course, we would see it like that, but for the majority the Kias would beat the Bimmers on track and that's what counts... I don't want to sound arrogant, but most people that go to races are a lot less informed than the people that post on here...
Old 7 Sep 2009, 12:09 (Ref:2535831)   #28
medius
Veteran

England
Media Office hiding from the rain
medius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmedius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkd56 View Post
I Believe andrew jordan's Vauxhall Vectra is run by Vauxhall but owned by The Jordans.
Thats what I heard too David. Mike didn't want the same sort of failiures (lack of knowledge or general unexpected parts wear) that they had with the Integras last year, and it made sense to have 888 run the car alongside the other two.

That means that for 2010, Andy could be out in the Vectra again. Maybe with some 888 engineers joining Eurotech (or what is left of Eurotech at least).
Old 7 Sep 2009, 18:12 (Ref:2536097)   #29
Thorney
Racer

Thorney should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkd56 View Post
I Believe andrew jordan's Vauxhall Vectra is run by Vauxhall but owned by The Jordans.
888 own all four Vectras (3 running cars and one chassis)
Old 8 Sep 2009, 07:59 (Ref:2536412)   #30
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorney View Post
888 own all four Vectras (3 running cars and one chassis)
It all points to them not running Vectras next year doesn't it.
Old 8 Sep 2009, 08:22 (Ref:2536421)   #31
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Just thinking - are we even sure they will be in the BTCC. The WTCC must be an attraction to them.
Old 8 Sep 2009, 09:45 (Ref:2536455)   #32
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Its funny that 888 just signed a long term deal with Holden here in Oz, which dovetailed nicely with the Vauxhall BTCC works deal... and now it seems they are off to parts Korean, Japanese, German or other...
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 8 Sep 2009, 23:00 (Ref:2536794)   #33
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
Yep, WTCC could be a possible avenue.
Old 10 Sep 2009, 07:09 (Ref:2537542)   #34
Jamesy-18
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire
Jamesy-18 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't see why. The BTCC is cheaper AND more competitive.
Old 10 Sep 2009, 07:14 (Ref:2537544)   #35
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Point is if a manufacturer is paying it won't really matter to Triple Eight where they are racing.
Old 11 Sep 2009, 06:34 (Ref:2538214)   #36
kmchow
Veteran

kmchow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by touringlegend View Post
Point is if a manufacturer is paying it won't really matter to Triple Eight where they are racing.
Unless they're running teams that are competing against each other? They wouldn't be given a Works contract to run Volvo and then also a BMW team for example. Though Reynard did design the Dodge Stratus and also the Ford Mondeos during the ST era. But Dodge and Ford never ran officially together?
Old 11 Sep 2009, 10:05 (Ref:2538343)   #37
The Tour
Rookie

England
Croydon
The Tour should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Have I missed something? I hadn't heard of this until today http://www.pro1000racing.com/
Old 11 Sep 2009, 11:55 (Ref:2538439)   #38
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tour View Post
Have I missed something? I hadn't heard of this until today http://www.pro1000racing.com/
The idea has floating around for a while. Pro1000 is esentially a one make arrive-and-drive series using a modified race version of the Caparo T1.

I think Caparo finally realised that the T1 was all very good in theory but in practice was totally undrivable on normal roads and this was there only hope of actually selling any.
Old 11 Sep 2009, 17:22 (Ref:2538660)   #39
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think that one can be filed under non-starter if they think it will be profitable, use those and be televised on Motors TV! It appears that all T8 will do is run the cars and collect the cheques, leaving the individuals running this series to lose all their money.
Old 11 Sep 2009, 17:54 (Ref:2538680)   #40
davyboy
Veteran

The marshalls will need to be equipped with extra fire extinguishers when those things take to the track. They've an unenviable track record of spontaneous combustion.
Old 11 Sep 2009, 18:26 (Ref:2538693)   #41
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
Vancouver (I escaped from UK)
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!
I'm pretty sure Pro1000 is still going to happen and some dev work continues on the roadcar. They showed the car to the public much to early, before it was ready
Old 11 Sep 2009, 18:29 (Ref:2538694)   #42
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The XFL happened, doesn't mean it was a success though (at least that idea had potential ...).
Old 13 Sep 2009, 07:33 (Ref:2539416)   #43
stedevil
Veteran

Sweden
stedevil has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesy-18 View Post
Don't see why. The BTCC is cheaper AND more competitive.
Cheaper yes, but please, BTCC more competitive than WTCC?

888 winning the BTCC is like stealing candy from a child compared to beating all of SEAT, BMW and Cheavy boys. Those teams have big budgets and resources behind them, and if they were easy to beat other carbrands would be flocking to steal the driver and manufacturer WORLD titles.
Old 18 Sep 2009, 15:21 (Ref:2543453)   #44
brands hatch
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kent
brands hatch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well confirmed in autosport that triple 8 will be running 16 pro1000 cars next season.

It also says "He also confirmed triple 8 is unlikely to run VXR Astra's in the sport maxx cup"

so will they be in the BTCC next year?....im still not sure
Old 18 Sep 2009, 16:21 (Ref:2543479)   #45
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Did they run Astra's in Sport Maxx?
Old 18 Sep 2009, 16:54 (Ref:2543486)   #46
brands hatch
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
Did they run Astra's in Sport Maxx?

yes, three this year
Old 18 Sep 2009, 17:46 (Ref:2543510)   #47
davyboy
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by brands hatch View Post
well confirmed in autosport that triple 8 will be running 16 pro1000 cars next season.

It also says "He also confirmed triple 8 is unlikely to run VXR Astra's in the sport maxx cup"

so will they be in the BTCC next year?....im still not sure
Hhhmmm does look ominous doesn't it. Of the possible outcomes I suggested at the start of this thread, I was really hoping the departure of 888 wasn't the one
Old 18 Sep 2009, 17:49 (Ref:2543512)   #48
brands hatch
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kent
right now, it seems their main focus is definately the pro1000 series...and with the withdrawal from the sports maxx, and the selling of the vectras, the departure of 888 might well happen.
Old 18 Sep 2009, 17:50 (Ref:2543514)   #49
Alfa Fan
Veteran

Alfa Fan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Them not running Vauxhalls in SMC makes it more likely they'll be in the BTCC with somone else IMO.
Old 18 Sep 2009, 17:58 (Ref:2543517)   #50
awrb
Veteran

United Kingdom
Birmingham, UK
awrb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Surely the SportMaxx thing with the Astras has been cancelled simply because Vauxhall are pulling out of that as well. It says nothing about 888's intentions to do the BTCC next year, just that they now have no connections with Vauxhall. Surely this was expected when VX pulled the plug on the BTCC. I think there's still a fair chance we'll see 888 in the BTCC next year.